Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 04:33:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227908 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  The Jungle
| | |-+  CIA to reveal decades of misdeeds
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CIA to reveal decades of misdeeds  (Read 3917 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« on: June 23, 2007, 01:57:52 AM »

CIA to reveal decades of misdeeds

The US Central Intelligence Agency is to declassify hundreds of documents detailing some of the agency's worst illegal abuses from the 1950s to 1970s.

The papers, to be released next week, will detail assassination plots, domestic spying and wiretapping, kidnapping and human experiments.

Many of the incidents are already known, but the documents are expected to give more comprehensive accounts.

It is "unflattering" but part of agency history, CIA chief Michael Hayden said.

"This is about telling the American people what we have done in their name," Gen Hayden told a conference of foreign policy historians.

The documents, dubbed the "Family Jewels", offer a "glimpse of a very different time and a very different agency".

The full 693-page file detailing CIA illegal activities was compiled on the orders of the then CIA director James Schlesinger in 1973.

He had been alarmed by accounts of CIA involvement in the Watergate scandal under his predecessor and asked CIA officials to inform him of all activities that fell outside the agency's legal charter.

'Skeletons'

Ahead of the documents' release by the CIA, the National Security Archive, an independent research body, on Thursday published related papers it had obtained.

These detail government discussions in 1975 of the CIA abuses and briefings by Mr Schlesinger's successor at the CIA, William Colby, who said the CIA had "done some things it shouldn't have".

Among the incidents that were said to "present legal questions" were:

* the confinement of a Soviet defector in the mid-1960s
    * assassination plots of foreign leaders, including Cuba's Fidel Castro
    * wiretapping and surveillance of journalists
    * behaviour modification experiments on "unwitting" US citizens
    * surveillance of dissident groups between 1967 and 1971
    * opening from 1953 to 1973 of letters to and from the Soviet Union; from 1969 to 1972 of mail to and from China

The papers also convey mounting concern in President Gerald Ford's administration that what were dubbed the CIA's "skeletons" were surfacing in the media.

Henry Kissinger, then both secretary of state and national security adviser, was against Mr Colby's moves to investigate the CIA's past abuses and the fact that agency secrets were being divulged.

Accusations appearing in the media about the CIA were "worse than in the days of McCarthy", Mr Kissinger said.

BBC

Fuck 'Em All.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2007, 02:23:01 AM »

Oh, it's the old 'ok, we admit it, but we've changed since then' Roll Eyes

What about the murders of American leaders, they're gonna admit to that to? How about the 'War' On Drugs?

Search up John Stockwell and you'll see what the CIA is really about.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 02:43:00 AM »

I don't care too much about the abuses in the past, someone should focus on the misdeeds that are going on RIGHT NOW in this messed up country.

Did you guys read about Cheney the past couple of days!?!?  The guy is out of his mind!!!

"You're the worst character ever Towelie."
SLCPUNK
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 02:57:24 AM »

Did you guys read about Cheney the past couple of days!?!?  The guy is out of his mind!!!

I read it, and didn't even bother to post it. It's not even shocking anymore. It pisses me off more that nobody holds him accountable for it.
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 03:04:33 AM »

We talking about this?

Cheney Lies To High Schoolers About Debunked Iraq/al Qaeda Connection

Adding insult to injury, earlier in the event, Cheney was asked about the ?values or philosophy? he has developed during his 40 years of government service. He answered, ?I basically developed a great respect for American history.?

hihi

fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 08:06:50 AM »

I wonder if there will be anything in there about financing Egyptan terrorists to blow up buildings in Beruit in the 80s (800+ fatalities) ?

I bet not

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2007, 12:23:38 PM »

We talking about this?

Adding insult to injury, earlier in the event, Cheney was asked about the ?values or philosophy? he has developed during his 40 years of government service. He answered, ?I basically developed a great respect for American history.?

hihi

This sounds like it could be tragically funny - do you have a link to the whole thing?

Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2007, 02:53:16 PM »

I doubt there will be a thing in those papers on JFK, RFK, MLK, Malcolm X, Watergate, Allende, the crack epidemic, MK-ULTRA, Project Bluebird, Project Mockingbird, Project Monarch, Project Artichoke, Johnny Gosch, Operation Northwoods, or Cointelpro.  In other words, nothing specific on anything anyone would really care about.  It will only tell us what we already know.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 09:34:35 PM »

^   I agree . If there were anything of importance in it , it would be redacted

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 01:34:11 AM »

We talking about this?

hihi

This sounds like it could be tragically funny - do you have a link to the whole thing?

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/06/04/cheney-myth/

Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 10:20:40 AM »

I doubt there will be a thing in those papers on JFK, RFK, MLK, Malcolm X, Watergate, Allende, the crack epidemic, MK-ULTRA, Project Bluebird, Project Mockingbird, Project Monarch, Project Artichoke, Johnny Gosch, Operation Northwoods, or Cointelpro.  In other words, nothing specific on anything anyone would really care about.  It will only tell us what we already know.

Or anything about Leonard Peltier.

Currently, the Minneapolis, MN FBI office is holding over 15,000 pages of information related to the case.

And other officies are holding just about the same amount of pages combined.

Fuck that shit. Release all information to do with Mr. Peltier and let the free man actually be fucking free.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
Mal Brossard
There should be a title here....
VIP

Iihan stuoramus alo vuoitte.

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 07:51:47 PM »

Can't believe I forgot to list Peltier, though that's more FBI than CIA.  I'd love to know what they have on Pearl Harbor, the moon landing, and the former USSR's "free" elections of 1989-1995.

I’ll be the last to say "Don’t follow your heart," but there’s more to what it takes to be a man.
The Dog
Legend

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 07:56:30 PM »

Can't believe I forgot to list Peltier, though that's more FBI than CIA.  I'd love to know what they have on Pearl Harbor, the moon landing, and the former USSR's "free" elections of 1989-1995.

the moon landing?Huh come on.  you think it was just a hollywood movie? 

Mr. Redman
Resident Indian
Legend

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 08:07:16 PM »

Can't believe I forgot to list Peltier, though that's more FBI than CIA.

Yeah, but still, CIA has to have something or another on him.

One half of Rock n' Rolls Cheech & Chong.
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 11:45:25 PM »

they forgot to say that they killed JFK Angry

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: