Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 07:40:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  50 Year Copyright Law
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50 Year Copyright Law  (Read 3053 times)
Chris Misfit
« on: October 08, 2004, 12:21:58 AM »

Well, the major companies are getting shaky, as the Beatles, Elvis records are nearing public domain ownership.

They have applied for a 95 year ownership law, so they can reap the benefits of 1000 more compilation albums.

Obviously, these companies have promoted, and released the artists music(or in most cases, bought the rights), but after 50 years, should they still have the right to keep 95% of these artists earnings? Should it become public domain? Or should the rights be passed on to the decendants of the artists? I mean after 50 years of drawing 95% of the profits, don't you think they've had enough?

The problem with becoming public domain is every fucker out there is going to barage us with covers, not that the record companys don't already do this, but just think what would happen if just anyone could release Beatles music without even asking.

The problem with record companys owning the music, is that they're greedy fuckers. No contract that was signed, in a time very different to now half a century ago, can possibly be reinvoked. Seriously. The Beatles spoke out many times, about not being paid. They've made their money, surely the time has come for the families of the artists to gain financial wealth for what their loved ones did, those years ago.

The way I see it, the record companies are their to promote a service, and they've been fully paid for that. I really hope the familys gain the rights, but the record companys will have lawyers, and money to win their case, and power and wealth always win.

Discuss...
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 05:14:04 AM »

Lol - in 30 years time when GNR's copyright expires we will have Welcome to the jungle on every advert u can imagine - horrifying thought

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Walk
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 04:03:12 AM »

If it still sells, then copyright should still apply. Money from old Beatles records can be used to sign new bands with actual talent.  hihi The Beatles are one band where a Greatest Hits collection puts almost all of their good songs on a single cd. Most of their early albums, and of course the White Album, were loaded with filler songs. Same goes with Elvis. So many new, fresh bands with new ideas need signing. Let the old guys buy their Beatles so we can get us some new rock!  ok
axls_locomotive
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 05:05:18 PM »

Elvis records are nearing public domain ownership.

Discuss...

just to let you know that elvis songs pre 1973 are all owned by numerous dodgy companies and not the elvis estate..thats why there has been so many compilation albums...in some ways im actually keen to see them go into public ownership because im tired of all these companies taking advantage and selling so many albums...but on the other hand there are plenty of companies who would love the chance to get at these songs and use them in their adverts...i certainly dont think there should be any more than a 50 year copyright on any song...although the music industry has help within governments so they will probably get their way

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 06:22:57 PM »

I've always been of the belief that the artist should hold an infinite copyright over the song.
MadmanDan
Legend

When yu're talkin' to yourself,and nobody's home...

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 04:15:48 PM »

I've always been of the belief that the artist should hold an infinite copyright over the song.

Yeah,the artists are fucked by the record companies all theur careers.Maybe after 50 years they or their families should get full rights to their work. Then again,50 years is a loooong time to get fucked...

"There's only one Return, and it ain't of the king, it's of the Jedi !"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: