Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:07:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Rihanna - Rockstar 101 feat. Slash
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rihanna - Rockstar 101 feat. Slash  (Read 9019 times)
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »

Kind of sucks for Slash he is pretty much inaudible in the song, because I suspect this song will be a pretty huge single for her when she releases it as it just has the feel of a song that will get major airplay. Would have been good for him to have some noticeable work in the song. 
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 04:05:43 PM »

Jeez, you can hear Sebastian Bach more clearly on "Sorry" than you can hear Slash in that song.  What a waste!  I thought, the previous song that was posted supposedly as "Rockstar" didn't have enough guitar.  But at least you could HEAR the guitar on that track.  What the hell?

Song was pretty bad too.  I don't mind some Rihanna songs, but it just doesn't sound right with her cursing and talking about checking her bra and panties.

And just to cover myself, I don't blame any of this on Slash.  He was just agreeing to appear on a massively popular artists album.  Once again though, they blew it by basically NOT using him.  The song shouldn't even mention he's featured because it's unnoticeable.

OFF TOPIC - I have yet to hear Bach on Sorry.. Can someone tell me when I should listen for him?
Yeah Bach is on there.  Tough to make out unless you're really listening for it.  He has this part in the song I always thought was someone whistling, but now I BELIEVE it's Baz making the sound vocally.

I agree it is a compliment for Rhianna to ask Slash to be on the song, but use the guy properly.  She's taking a page out of Scott Weiland's book.  Let's underutilize SLASH!  Makes no sense!

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2009, 04:37:44 PM »

Cool fact, Rihanna has now collaborated with 2 Gn'r Members,
Richard Fortus was her touring guitar player for the 2008 tour and probably recorded with her, i'm not sure on that

and now Slash

the only real difference is that Slash didn't need to sink this low. and Richard did it because it's a good gig for a session guitar player and his name isn't really tarnished by doing so... Slash on the other hand has as much rock left in him as the Jonas Brothers... which the hang of it, might actually be his next musical collaboration!

Chinese Democracy!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2009, 06:03:52 PM »

See dude, that is just ridiculous

sink this low?

U realize he is guest playing on one of the most famous pop artists in the worlds single right?

U may not like her, but she is at the top of the music biz right now.

Being on her album is tons of publicity with his solo album coming out.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
zihuatenajo
Headliner

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 12:04:54 AM »

I went to watch it , but fortunatly , being Canadian made me unable to cringe at this song which has made ears bleed  hihi

God made weed, man made booze : who do you trust ?
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2009, 03:27:47 AM »

Okay, you can hear a lot of little guitar parts...  But what is the point if you have to struggle to hear them?

I'll be damned if I have to listen to that song again for some little guitar parts.
I'd rather blow torch my nipples off... Tongue

Fuck 'Em All.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2009, 07:00:20 AM »

yo bitch, ima a rockstar, UGH , YEAH.

confused rant

html sucks
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2009, 07:52:32 AM »

See dude, that is just ridiculous

sink this low?

U realize he is guest playing on one of the most famous pop artists in the worlds single right?

U may not like her, but she is at the top of the music biz right now.

Being on her album is tons of publicity with his solo album coming out.

So are the Jonas Brothers, should i like them as well just because they get played on the radio and fill arenas? i didn't realize being popular in the biz was a criteria for quality! sorry about that!  peace

Chinese Democracy!
Albert S Miller
Legend

Simply can't get much better than this!!!

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 09:14:07 AM »

Okay, you can hear a lot of little guitar parts...  But what is the point if you have to struggle to hear them?

I'll be damned if I have to listen to that song again for some little guitar parts.
That would be a pretty painful trade off.  At least the song would be over in 3 minutes, your nipples, however would never recover....

Turn my sorrow into treasured gold, you'll pay me back in kind and reap just what you've sown !!
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 09:27:27 AM »

That would be a pretty painful trade off.  At least the song would be over in 3 minutes, your nipples, however would never recover....

Nah, it isn't. I don't need my nipples Grin. Three minutes though. You can do a lot in 3 minutes.

The worst part was after 10 seconds of the song, I thought, okay, I'm going to close the browser window.
Then I thought, shit, what if there is a solo? I'll just hold on till the middle of the song.
That goes by and then I think: Fuck, what if Slash has done some great outro?
And before you know it, I had listened to that whole song. crying

I want my three minutes back.  Angry

Fuck 'Em All.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2009, 10:47:17 AM »

Nah, it isn't. I don't need my nipples Grin. Three minutes though. You can do a lot in 3 minutes.

The worst part was after 10 seconds of the song, I thought, okay, I'm going to close the browser window.
Then I thought, shit, what if there is a solo? I'll just hold on till the middle of the song.
That goes by and then I think: Fuck, what if Slash has done some great outro?
And before you know it, I had listened to that whole song. crying

I want my three minutes back.  Angry
I did the same thing.  I'm sure a lot of us did.  I held in there for the whole thing expecting Slash to do SOMETHING cool.  It just never came.  What a waste of time and effort.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 07:01:14 PM »

Rihanna channels Slash in 'Rockstar 101' video

Photo:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/;kw=[8664,35690]

Video:

http://music-mix.ew.com/2010/05/25/rihanna-rockstar-101-video/

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 07:16:03 PM »

It's pretty wild how well his image has endured over the past 25 years that even still a 44 year old guitarist is the template for a "rockstar" video by one of the world's biggest pop stars. When you consider that just about every other guitarist from that 80's era has been relegated to relative obscurity it is impressive how he has managed to stay somewhat culturally relevant.

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »

Slash apparently was supposed to be in the video, but he is right that it probably worked better without him as the video is generating alot of buzz right now because of how she dressed up as Slash.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1640020/20100525/rihanna.jhtml

Rihanna can always be counted on to deliver killer hooks and sexy looks in the eye-popping videos that accompany her chart-owning singles. The just-premiered clip for "Rockstar 101," off her smash '09 album, Rated R, is no exception. The visual casts Rihanna as the frontwoman for a rock band whose members include Blink-182 drummer (and friend-of-everyone) Travis Barker.

Perhaps the most striking image comes during the song's breakdown, when Rihanna appears dressed as none other than iconic guitarist Slash. And it's a fitting homage, as the former Guns N' Roses axeman provided the track's signature riffage. But the original concept didn't have Rihanna putting on a gender-bending performance.

"I was supposed to actually be in that video," Slash told MTV News. "I played on the song, and they called me up to ask me to play in the video, but my record was just coming out, and I was sort of worn thin," he explained. "She was really sweet. She sent me this pleading text to come do the video, but I couldn't make it work. I told her that me not being in the video wasn't going to make or break it."

So what does Slash think of Rihanna's pantomime-like depiction of him in the clip?

"The video is way better with her being me than with me being me," he said. "All things considered, it brings an element of sexuality to it that I probably wouldn't have been capable of. I think it's hot, and I sent her a text this morning telling her it was definitely hotter with her doing it than with me doing it. Everything works out the way it's supposed to."

Slash admitted that he hadn't heard back from her yet, but their easy relationship is one of mutual admiration: Rihanna is a huge fan of Guns N' Roses, the singer told him, and Slash was way into "Umbrella." "I don't come from that side of the fence, but I particularly liked [Good Girl Gone Bad]," he said.

Although he couldn't make the clip's shoot, Slash told us he feels pretty good about the outcome.

"I'm way more flattered that she played me in the video than her asking me to be in it," he said. "All things considered, she's pretty cool."

Did you think Rihanna's "Rockstar" take on Slash was spot-on? Or does she need to work on it? Let us know in the comments!
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 09:54:21 PM »

Slash Is 'Flattered' That Rihanna Channels Him In 'Rockstar 101'

'It brings an element of sexuality to it that I probably wouldn't have been capable of,' Gun N' Roses axman tells MTV News.
Cheesy

Rihanna as Slash toward the end of the video.

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2010, 01:52:36 AM »

SLASH Is 'Flattered' That RIHANNA Channels Him In 'Rockstar 101' - May 25, 2010

Legendary guitarist Slash told MTV News that he was originally supposed to appear in Rihanna's video for "Rockstar 101" in which she appears dressed as none other than the iconic GUNS N' ROSES axeman.

"I was supposed to actually be in that video," Slash told MTV News. "I played on the song, and they called me up to ask me to play in the video, but my record was just coming out, and I was sort of worn thin," he explained. "She was really sweet. She sent me this pleading text to come do the video, but I couldn't make it work. I told her that me not being in the video wasn't going to make or break it."

So what does Slash think of Rihanna's pantomime-like depiction of him in the clip?

"The video is way better with her being me than with me being me," he said. "All things considered, it brings an element of sexuality to it that I probably wouldn't have been capable of. I think it's hot, and I sent her a text this morning telling her it was definitely hotter with her doing it than with me doing it. Everything works out the way it's supposed to."

Read more from MTV News.

Video: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140684

Trist805
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 02:02:04 AM »

Woah. I thought that was Slash, for a few seconds, then I realized it was Riahanna. rofl  That's what I get for scrolling. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:03:53 AM by Trist805 » Logged
w.axl.rose
Legend

tony-trujillo.com

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 04:07:41 AM »

Slash's hair with Dj's hat  Shocked ... ON THE GUITAR... MR. Dj Slash  rofl
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: