Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 25, 2024, 11:29:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227948 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  production quality on appetite
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: production quality on appetite  (Read 13794 times)
luciano
Banned
Rocker

Axl-Izzy-Slash-Duff-Steven!

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2007, 05:32:42 PM »

Well, slippery when wet probably is a good example of a better mix
I don't believe someone can think that. Slippery when wet has a pop production. AFD is rock at its finest.

(...) imbalanced, unprocessed sound of AFD. (...)
I don't believe someone can think that.
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2007, 05:54:12 PM »

On the cover of AFD it clearly states that AFD was recorded using analog equipment. Analog equipment was probably the industry standard at the time.

Analog equipment is still used today, many prefer the sound of the old magnetic tape. AFD was recorded and mixed in three different buildings, so at least three different rooms, analog equipment was probably used at some point; and that's the point of those classifications on cd labels, to describe the "lowest" level of equipment used in recording, mixing and mastering, so you know what sound quality to expect.

As I already said, industry standard is hard to define. The tech standard was undoubtedly open-reel dat, what was used on any individual recording would depend on preference. Regardless, you can find albums much older than AFD which sound much "nicer," so I'm not sure exactly what your point is. AFD's sound is clearly deliberate, it's meant to be low-fi - it's hard to market a band as "dangerous" or "sleazy" if their album is polished like pop.
James_Ramone
Headliner

Right next door to hell

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2007, 01:59:39 PM »

Mike Clink is god

G'N'F'N'R's
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2007, 05:03:43 PM »

Axl: We did test tracks with different people and they came out smooth and polished. We did some stuff with Spencer Proffer and Geffen records said it was too fuckin? radio. That?s why we went with Mike Clink, we went for a raw sound because it just didn?t gel having it too tight and concise.
Axl: And so... when you get this record, maybe it's not produced as well as something else you might hear, that is done by the best people in the world. But that's because this is more real, this is us! This isn't somebody else doing it.

"What people don't understand is that there was a perfectionist attitude to 'Appetite For Destruction'. There was a definite plan to that," Rose explained. "We could have made it all smooth and polished with [original producer] Spencer Proffer, but it was too fuckin' 'radio'. That's why we went with [eventual producer] Mike Clink. It just didn't gel having it too tight and concise. We knew this, cos Guns N' Roses on stage, man, can be out to lunch; you don't know what to expect. But how do you get that on record?"

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
luciano
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2007, 05:34:20 AM »

great quotes by Axl. Good Old Axl!
It is a shame that he sees things in a VERY different way now.
TheMole
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2007, 06:18:48 AM »

Well, deliberate or not, the production quality is sub par on AFD. Axl admits this in the quotes above. Some might like it, but I don't, it makes it sound even more dated than it actually is.

But hey, that's my take, I'm one of those people who actually prefers Megadeth's new "A Tout Le Monde" to the original, because of it's production. And yet I still think the UYI's are overproduced Smiley, now isn't that saying something? Wink
luciano
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2007, 07:35:08 PM »

raw sound does not mean sub par production
axl is not saying that
he is saying the production is real and genuine which is true, because GNR could play appetite live in a fantastic way
TheMole
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2007, 03:37:13 AM »

Axl: And so... when you get this record, maybe it's not produced as well as something else you might hear, that is done by the best people in the world.

I was referring to that quote when I paraphrased in my previous post. It's all just wordplay anyway; it's a phenomenal album regardless of the "bad" or "raw" production; it's just that I would've preferred a more balanced sound (I think).
PJ
black metal poser dude
VIP

And I'm crazier!

« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2007, 01:25:52 PM »

raw sound does not mean sub par production
axl is not saying that
he is saying the production is real and genuine which is true, because GNR could play appetite live in a fantastic way
yeah.. he saud also that it wasnt easy..
they recorded things a lot of times.. they played the songs and beat them a lot

"I'm still impressed by my ability to put a shine on a pile of bullshit"
                                        SLASH
http://www.gnrsource.com
Red_Locks
Headliner

...you can't put your hands around a memory...

« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2007, 02:13:55 PM »

^agreed^ I've heard some Appetite demos and Nightrain and WTTJ had a LOT of demos..and not all that good smoking

Fuck the poets of the past, my friends..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=862JtVBBv78? ..GNR during their free time
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2007, 02:58:05 PM »

i totally forgot id made this thread.

but yeah, appetite on headphones owns speaker appetite  hihi

html sucks
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: