Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 06:21:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227842 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  How much do GNR owe to the song Sweet child o mine ?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How much do GNR owe to the song Sweet child o mine ?  (Read 5971 times)
Irish gunner II
Rocker

IRISH BY BIRTH, CORK BY THE GRACE OF GOD

« on: February 14, 2008, 07:00:49 PM »

Now we all know this song and how it is one song out of a good selection of songs that GNR has released. And perhaps it is overplayed a bit.  Tongue

BUT, How much do Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven owe to this one song ? I thing the song certainly has that widespread appeal that helped alot of people who wouldnt have listened to the band to start listening to them. I think that AFD would have still sold all the copies it has even if SCOM wasnt on the album as the other eleven songs are brilliant songs and maybe they would have added back off bitch or YCBM or some other song to fill the gap. It wouldnt even be my favourite song on the album as that goes to it's so easy.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 10:23:20 AM by Irish gunner II » Logged
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 07:01:27 PM »

Damn it wrong section.
Rapunzel
Yes, I will probably get banned again.
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 06:08:10 PM »

Now we all know this song and how it is one song out of a good selection of songs that GNR has released. And perhaps it is overplayed a bit.  Tongue

BUT, How much do Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy and Steven owe to this one song ?

Grin

Interesting post. Wrong section??

What? No-one took an attempt at this one? Someone mentioned that WTTJ was chosen as the first single of the album over SCOM.

But still, this was the clip that made the band, you think?

From Izzy's "Townsend" arm swings to Axl's dancing to Slash's....well coolness, to Duff's "Sid", Steve's hair.....I think it pretty much all came together with this one.

With that in mind, GN'R clips have always had layers of meaning in the imagery. Wonder what the latest one will have in it? Tongue
« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 12:28:16 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly.
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 01:58:22 AM »

They owe a lot I think. IIRC, AFD got pushed to number one after the SCOM video came out. I could be wrong of course....

Fuck 'Em All.
don_vercetti
VIP

Oui Oui, motherfuckers...

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 03:21:47 AM »

I thought it was WTTJ video being played on MTV, but SCOM was their first (and only) no. 1.  In my opinion, they owe far too much to that song, as it isn't all that great.  But if you say "guns n roses" to most people they will reply with either "sweet child of mine" or "slash". 

Ask a guitar player "can you play the intro" and they will hit you.

If you mod me now, I will become more insightful than you can possibly imagine
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 04:00:02 AM »

since it's their own fucking song the don't owe anything, might have been a different thing if it was a cover but it's as said their own song..
Rapunzel
Yes, I will probably get banned again.
Banned
Rocker

Are you good looking?

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 04:17:53 AM »

You're right, it's one of their own.

I don't think that "owe" is in money terms.

It's just one of those amazing musical phenomenons that they should all be united on - it's a part of them all -

instead of fighting it, they should all be very proud.  Wink

Look what you did, goddammit! (We [here] love ya for it)...

« Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 05:10:08 AM by Rapunzel » Logged

It is only with the heart that one can see rightly.
Irish gunner II
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 05:58:02 PM »

I thought it was WTTJ video being played on MTV, but SCOM was their first (and only) no. 1.  In my opinion, they owe far too much to that song, as it isn't all that great.  But if you say "guns n roses" to most people they will reply with either "sweet child of mine" or "slash". 

Ask a guitar player "can you play the intro" and they will hit you.

That's what I meant by owing so much to this song.  And I don't mind the song that much. Fair enough it isin't the best song on appetite but I listen to it alot but it is ALWAYS played when I'm out in a pub or club, so it does suffer from being overplayed to death.
since it's their own fucking song the don't owe anything, might have been a different thing if it was a cover but it's as said their own song..

They don't owe it in monetary terms obviously but to their success. They would have been as big as they became anyway but SCOM was the ethanol to light the match to the fire.
axl2
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 10:40:15 PM »

IMO Sweet Child O' Mine wasn't released first because the song overall didn't represent what GNR was all about. I mean it had a great blend of a ballad. with some edge. then an out of control heavy ending.

And I'll be honest I bought AFD because of seeing a Sweet Child O Mine video on Much Music and I new of Novemeber Rain and new how good both songs were. However after I got AFD I listened to Child a bunch then started listening to other songs. WTTJ, paradise City and realized that, wow I new these songs from radio, ect. After that I got into It's So Easy, Nightrain, Rocket Queen ect. ect.

At that point I new what GNR was all about. They were a bad ass hard rock band with screaming leads and vocals, with an attitude. Sweet Child O Mine probably inspired many to GNR in the same way (or maybe Don't Cry or Novemeber Rain did). Obviously years later is when I got into Estranged, Coma and the more advanced music that came open the Illuisions albums.

www.bluejayfever.com

Blue Jays Site/Forum...Need Some Members For This Board. We Plan To Make It The Best Jays Site Online.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: