Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 07:20:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227907 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Slash teaches you his fav riff
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash teaches you his fav riff  (Read 3870 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: June 09, 2004, 09:40:51 PM »

TOTAL GUITAR (mag) JUNE 2004 ISSUE 123

Slash
TEACHES YOU HOW TO PLAY HIS FAVOURITE RIFF

CONSIDERING HIS A-GRADE ROCK RIFFING CREDENTIALS, WE GOT SLASH TO TALK THROUGH HIS FAVOURITE RIFF OF ALL TIME ? JEFF BECK?S I AIN?T SUPERSTITIOUS.
WAH WAHS AT THE READY . . .

Photo credit:  Ross Halfin/Idols

What is it about the riff from Jeff Beck?s I Ain?t Superstitious that captures your attention?
Slash:  ?I like this riff because the sound of it is fuckin? awesome.  Beck is one of the most amazing guitar players the world has seen when it just comes to rock and roll guitar.  I think Jimmy Page put it best when he said, ?When he?s on, he?s the best there is.?  When he really goes for it, Jeff has got so much control of the guitar it?s not even fuckin? funny.?

Have you ever met him?
Slash:  ?Yeah, he came out and jammed with Guns N? Roses in France one time ? Aerosmith was also there and so was Lenny Kravitz.  But Jeff Beck came to soundcheck and blew his ears out and didn?t actually do the gig that night.  But it was still great just standing on stage with him and Joe Perry, playing and knocking out a couple of riffs.

?I?ve hung out with Jeff a bunch of times now and he?s a real organic player.  That?s the thing about song, I Ain?t Superstitious, the sound he gets is not something where you go, ?Oh, this is done with this and that and the other.?  You can put the equipment together and wire it all up but at the same time to get that fuckin? tone and just the nuances for every note? that?s a real great one.?

The original of this riff sounds mid-way between F and F#, but the open fourth strings in the verse lick give it away as being in F#.  Fret the initial F# with your third finger, using your first finger for the quarter-tone bend and Jeff?s idiosyncratic fast vibrato.  Fret the F# octaves with your first and third finger, being sure to damp the intervening 5th string with your first finger.

This is essentially a set of question-and answer-phrases based around a 12-bar blues, with the first guitar providing the questions and the wah guitar providing the answer phrases in the breakdowns.  The wah guitar has been treated with delay of about 35ms, to create a big stereo spread.  Play the high F#s in the last two bars with your second finger to facilitate the vibrato.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 11:28:28 PM »

thanks  beer

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2004, 11:05:24 AM »

We already knew but Slash officially has TASTE ok

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 05:52:39 PM »

Thanks Gypsy I?ll try to play it right now!!!!!!

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: