Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 07:31:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227844 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Stopping the Greatest Hits album
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Stopping the Greatest Hits album  (Read 119565 times)
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« on: February 11, 2004, 05:20:17 PM »

Ok;

Here's the deal, Universal are attempting to release this Greatest Hits album which doesn't have the approval of Axl Rose or management. It's a poor mixture of songs, and there are no extras with it. Not a quality product.

To help stop it (if you are interested) this is what we're going to do;

Email david.cohen@umusic.com and tell him that you don't want this Greatest Hits album, and tell him why you don't want it. Please express yourself in an adult manner, and please don't abuse this email address in any way. Also, please only one email per person

The more people we can get writing to him, the better, so please spread the word. But with it, also pass on my sentiments that this must be carried out in a proper manner

What would also be useful is if you could cc the emails to gunsandroses000@yahoo.com , so we can store the emails, just in case they come in handy in the future (Only do this if you want to though)

Thanks

Note--> Please note that it is in no way implied that Universal have ever been the cause or blame of the non-release of Chinese Democracy historically
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 01:29:54 PM by Mysteron » Logged
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 05:21:43 PM »

I will write one of these, but what are the odds of this actually having any effect on the decision?

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 05:24:35 PM »

Mysteron, MIsterid had a great idea...how bout we do one of those petition things. We front it with a professional type letter and have all of our names follow it....I recently wrote a thread about a letter. Something like this i suppose...
To GN'r Management,
  Over the years the GN'R rumor mill has spun out thousands of ridiculous rumors concerning this band. Respecting the fact that the band wishes too remain quiet in regards to fan communication, the fans have deciphered the many rumors and have continued to wait. This letter is soley about one particular rumor that if it is remotely true, the very, very loyal GN'R fan would be extremely dissapointed and feel in a way, betrayed.
    The rumor we are concerned about is the possibility that the record company might be releasing a GN'R Greatest Hits Album. Although we still love the old music, we already have Live Era. Releasing another CD that contains old material would be a slap in the face for the thousands of GN'R fans who have patiently waited for Chinese Democracy. Although the wait has been frustrating, we still love this band and we will keep waiting for the CD. We want GN'R to be the biggest band in the world again. If that means Chinese Democracy and the follow ups are still not ready, so be it. We will remain patient and wait. But we definately do want a Greatest Hits album along the way.
    We understand that the company has invested a lot of time and money into GNR and might want to recoup any type of monies until the new releases. It is a valid gesture but the fans who have waited all this time feel as if it is a slap in the face. The record company has been patient this long, why end it now? Again we are willing to wait as long as it takes for the new lineup to complete their work and become a fixture in this depleated musical landscape.
    The thousands of extremely loyal GN"R fans would greatly appreciate if the band and or record company would reconsider a Greatest Hits release. In some regards, the pulbic views this band as a joke. A greatest hits release would continue that trend. All we are asking for is for the band and the company to do whatever they have to do to make this band the biggest band in the world again. If that takes another "x" amount of months or years, so be it. We don't want and need any more old material. We will be there when everything is ready, and will do our best to make this band popular again. A greatest Hits release would show that our loyalty and patience doesnt mean much.
  Again, all we ask for is for the Greatest Hits cd be shelved until after thsi new lineup has released their material.
                                                                Thank You,
                                                            GNR Fans

Obiviously fix up the grammar and spelling but that type of letter that focuses on the greatest hits. Add or take away from it. But i think its a good idea, and we can atleast try and show our dissapointment with this release idea
« Last Edit: February 11, 2004, 05:28:33 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Crowebar
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 05:25:40 PM »

Yeah. Will it do any good? Huh

And why would they release a product that's shit with no extras? Huh

How do you know that it's without Axl's approval??? [headscratch]

I'll send the dude an e-mail but, I don't know what good it will do Mysteron. ok
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 05:26:29 PM »

I will write one of these, but what are the odds of this actually having any effect on the decision?

We'll have to wait and see  Smiley
loretian
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 05:33:14 PM »

I just sent an e-mail.

I don't know if this will do any good, but if this is a release that not even Axl and his management can stop, then WE the FANS are the only ones who have any chance to stop it.  Every e-mail counts, every single one means there is a better chance it will be stopped, so take the time to write out a decent e-mail.  Maybe we can do something for Axl, now.
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 05:35:27 PM »

The petition thing is a good idea

But for now, if you could just do it in the manner I have requested then that would be cool  ok

As for questions regarding whether it's worth the bother or not. The easiest way to find out is to suck it and see  Wink

Again, thanks for your help on this
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 05:37:21 PM »

How do you know this album got no Axl's approval ??

//JK
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2004, 05:44:43 PM »

Sent and sent. ok

Lets stop this motherfucker!
Crowebar
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2004, 05:44:54 PM »

The petition thing is a good idea

But for now, if you could just do it in the manner I have requested then that would be cool  ok

As for questions regarding whether it's worth the bother or not. The easiest way to find out is to suck it and see  Wink

Again, thanks for your help on this

Hey Mysteron? confused nervous

Are you actually Axl man??? Huh

[headscratch]

'Cause, I'm starting to think that you might be Axl dude. yes
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2004, 05:45:17 PM »

Why bother stopping the release of GH? If u dont want it then dont buy it, I dont think it will delay CD anymore than if it wasnt release anyway and atleast GNR will get some mention while we wait.
Damn some people need to let things be and just get on with your lifes!
McGann
Haiku writing motherfucker
VIP

My hat is HEAVY-DUTY tinfoil

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2004, 05:48:28 PM »

Here's mine:
Dear sir:

It has come to my attention that Universal Music is planning to release a Greatest Hits album featuring several popular singles by Guns n' Roses.  I am a die-hard Gn'R fan, and I do not agree with this decision, and there are several reasons for this.
     To begin with, I am disappointed with the song selection on this release.  While I like almost every song Guns n' Roses has recorded and released, I feel that there are stronger tracks in their catalog that are not included here.
     Additionally, it would seem that, based on statements made by various current band members in publically available interviews, that the new album titled "Chinese Democracy" is nearing readiness for release.  I believe it to be a mistake to release anything that might take the focus from this endeavor.  The public, and die-hard Gn'R fans like myself, would doubtless feel let down by a disc of retreads when there is apparently new material in the offing.  The mystique surrounding this band has never truly died and it would, I feel, be tarnished by a Greatest Hits release.
     Finally, and, I think, most importantly, the focus should be on the future of Guns n' Roses, not on the past.  Times have changed, the band has changed, and public interest has changed.  New music would be a far better seller than old at this time.  Remember, the surprise appearance by the band at the MTV Video Music Awards 2002 generated quite a bit of media attention and excitement.  The buying public is ready for something new, and a Greatest Hits album is anything but.
     Please take my points into careful consideration and think hard before moving forward with the Greatest Hits release.  Many people call themselves fans of Guns n' Roses, and "Chinese Democracy" is what fans want, the sooner the better.
     Thank you for your time.  Feel free to reply with any questions you may have.
     Regards,
Michael B. McGann
Executive Producer
James Crystal Radio Group

Sound OK?
/Mike

"When fascism came to America, it was called 'Political Correctness' and waved a culturally relative flag."
-Mike McGann
RnT
Legend

Every saint has a past, every sinner has a future.

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2004, 05:52:06 PM »

SLCPUNK , that petiton can be useful now in some way ?!  Huh

Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2004, 05:53:28 PM »

Why bother stopping the release of GH?

Because it has caused a battle between sanctuary and universal = not good
milkboy
Opening Act

I'll save you

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2004, 05:53:52 PM »

Sent today:

Dear Mr. Cohen,

I am writing to you today to express my disappointment in the upcoming Guns N' Roses Greatest Hits album that is planned for release. As a long time fan of Guns and their current effort to release a new record, I think this GH record would be a backwards step and ultimately hurt the reputation of a still legendary band. From what I understand, this release is against the wishes of Axl Rose and as a loyal fan, I am taking it upon myself to let you know that I will not buy this album. As you may know, GNR continues to have a huge following mostly through Internet message boards. I believe I speak for thousands of fans, when I say, let Axl release his new material in his own way. We GNR fans are the most tortured, frustrated soles in the business, and we don't want to see this new record tarnished by a hastily, put-together classics album that would surely paint a dark cloud over the new band. We've waited patiently over a decade for Chinese Democracy. We can hold out for a few more months!

Thank you for your time.

Ryan Hawk
Mysteron
Legend

..?..?..

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2004, 05:54:43 PM »

How do you know this album got no Axl's approval ??

management
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2004, 05:55:51 PM »

I don't think the petition is that useful. I mean say we stop the GH, then what happens? It doesn't mean we will get CD so why bother? If you don't want it just don't buy it.  It's Axl's own fault he is in this mess so he should sort it out himself.
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2004, 05:57:17 PM »

My protest has been sent, hope that it helps.  Hope that the rest of you can also take time out of your day to send a message too.   ok

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
Christos AG
Taxi Rider
HTGTH Crew
Legend

Been there, done that...

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2004, 05:58:43 PM »

I sent my message. I hope we can stop this damn cd...

Estranger
Opening Act

Hey Fuckups....

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2004, 05:59:19 PM »

Consider it done Mysteron!

/Estranger

Don't hail me and don't idolize the ink or I've failed in my attentions can you find the missing link
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: