Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:02:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227894 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Buckethead To Play At Tribute To James Brown
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Buckethead To Play At Tribute To James Brown  (Read 3698 times)
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« on: December 19, 2007, 01:10:12 PM »

Music: Tribute to the Godfather

Bootsy and Patti Collins organize a star-studded tribute to James Brown

BY Brian Baker | Posted 12/19/2007

The passing of James Brown last year left a hole in the music world?s heart. Ex-bandmate Bootsy Collins decided to fill it up a little with a special tribute concert in Greater Cincinnati this weekend.

James Brown earned many colorful nicknames during his amazing career: Soul Brother No. 1, the Hardest Working Man in Show Business, Mr. Dynamite and, of course, the Godfather of Soul.

That last one has particular relevance for Bootsy Collins, renowned bassist and Soul/Funk avatar in his own right, but it only tells half the story.

?James started my career and it?s the least I can do to try to keep his legacy, his music and his memory alive,? Bootsy says from his Cincinnati studio. ?Coming up in a home with just a mother and no father in the house, he was like a father figure and he would always discipline me like a son. You know, getting those long lectures after the show on the plane ride ? there were so many memories, there?s not one that sticks out. People got down on him for being hard and strict but for me it was a good thing. I knew I needed it. I was just a wild kid out on the street doing crazy things. If I hadn?t gotten that, when I got with Parliament/Funkadelic I would have really been a mess. And I was a mess anyway.

So it all came back. I learned the ABCs, like being in the Army.?

Almost a year to the day since his Christmas Day passing in 2006, Brown continues to inspire love and respect. Given his local Cincinnati ties through his involvement in King Records, it?s little surprise that those feelings run deep here. And given his pivotal role as Collins? first employer when the aspiring bassist was just a skinny teenager hanging around the King offices looking for a break, it is equally unsurprising that it would be Collins and his wife Patti who would conceive and organize a personal and heartfelt tribute to one of the most important and influential musical figures of the past half century.

This Saturday, the Madison Theater in Covington becomes the center of the Soul universe with ?A Tribute Fit for the King of King Records: Mr. Dynamite, James Brown,? featuring an array of talent whose personal as well as professional lives were touched by the stellar presence of James Brown.

For an event that is at present the only scheduled celebratory tribute to the Godfather of Soul -- on a day that vacationing Mayor Mark Mallory will proclaim, via video, ?James Brown Day? -- the Collinses have assembled a broad and renowned lineup to honor Brown?s talent and memory. The Soul Generals, Brown?s backing band on the road for the last two decades and now led by his guitarist son Daryl, will perform the incendiary set that they?ve been doing since earlier this year when they collectively decided to remain a band to perpetuate the James Brown legend. The tribute will also feature a rare reunion of the JBs, including Bootsy on bass, his brother Phelps ?Catfish? Collins on guitar and the Original Funky Drummers John ?Jabo? Starks and Clyde ?Funky Drummer? Stubblefield, plus emcee Danny Ray. This portion of the evening will be hosted by Public Enemy frontman Chuck D.

Original Fabulous Flames keyboardist Bobby Byrd, often credited with discovering Brown and who passed away himself just two months ago, will be represented by his widow Vicki Anderson, who will sing a song with the Generals, and two of his children including son Bart, who will perform with his group. The always entertaining and outrageous Freekbass will round out the local contingent, former In Living Color funnyman and stand-up comedian Tommy Davidson and renowned stand-up Michael Collier will also be appearing. But perhaps the most unexpected guest of the evening will be former Guns ?n? Roses guitarist Buckethead, who will unleash his patented guitar pyrotechnics to pay tribute to Brown.

Complete article: http://citybeat.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A143331

Shut the fuck up. Yes, you. Ha!
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 05:10:39 PM »

hmm i'll be damned. will it be televised or net cast or something?

peace

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
babydolls
VIP

Locomotive

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 07:46:52 AM »

still cant believe james brown is no longer with us   Sad  saw him at Glastonbury a few years ago and it was magic.
hope they do televise this - interested to see bucket, and the whole tribute. the man deserves a great tribute night for sure.
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 02:59:39 PM »

The tribute concert, organized by the Collins', comes almost a year after Brown's death on Christmas Day 2006. Performances will include sets from The Soul Generals, who were Brown's road band for the past two decades, and a reunion of the JB's, the backing band which included Bootsy on bass. Chuck D will host a portion of the evening. Stand-ups Tommy Davidson and Michael Collier will perform as well. Most bizarrely, current Guns n' Roses lead guitarist Buckethead will pay his homage to the former Hardest Working Man in Show Business with some electrifying fretwork. Bootsy intends this to be the first in a series of annual concerts, which pay tribute to the man he calls "The Martin Luther King Jr. of music."

Grin

http://www.cinemablend.com/music/Bootsy-Collins-Organizes-Tribute-Concert-For-Godfather-of-Soul-7892.html

FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 10:55:14 AM »

The other headliner will be Buckethead, the guitar shredder who toured in 2001 with Guns N' Roses but continues today with a wildly prolific solo career. He issued six albums in 2007 and has another, Dawn of the Deli Creeps,due out in January. Buckethead's music meshes John Zorn-style avant classicism and Eddie Hazel's champion funk-rock guitar psychedelia. Shards of modern metal also pop up in Buckethead's recordings. And, true to his stage name, the guitarist dons a KFC bucket as headgear (along with a mask) whenever he performs. Among Buckethead's upcoming projects will be a progressive funk-rock outfit called Science Faction with Collins -- hence, the invitation to perform in Covington.

grog mug
Legend

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 12:42:00 AM »

I went to the show.  It was great.  I met Buckethead afterwards, and he signed all my stuff for me, my friends and girlfriend.  He rocked out with an ALL white bucket...best look I've seen yet.  MAN I MISS HIM IN GN'R!!
GNRreunioneventually
Legend

Her-Bert baybay

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 01:07:49 AM »

I went to the show. It was great. I met Buckethead afterwards, and he signed all my stuff for me, my friends and girlfriend. He rocked out with an ALL white bucket...best look I've seen yet. MAN I MISS HIM IN GN'R!!

HOLY SHIT!

Did he talk? can you post pics of all your signed shit? Did you bow and say "i'm not worthy"?

can you post pics of buckethead himself? or anything

Thats fuckin' awesome man ok

GNRreunioneventually

Called it Cheesy
ibelieveinaxl
It's a bad obsession...
Banned
VIP

Ain't goin' down.....

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 01:57:59 AM »

I went to the show.? It was great.? I met Buckethead afterwards, and he signed all my stuff for me, my friends and girlfriend.? He rocked out with an ALL white bucket...best look I've seen yet.? MAN I MISS HIM IN GN'R!!

man, you're lucky. sounds like it was terrific. buckethead brought gnr to new heights. he is really, really missed. he's the best.....he didnt talk, did he?

Where does it come from? All this hatred.

1988-Today: 71 shows and counting....
FunkyMonkey
Legend

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2007, 12:01:43 AM »

James Brown Tribute Concert: Buckethead - Jordan Solo - 12/22

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vfV2vaazhgk

grog mug
Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 02:06:50 AM »

Yeah thats me holding up the white mask and jamming out the entire song...actually make that the entire concert.  It was a great time but Buckethead got the loudest pop by far, hopefully he can get back in the GN'R fold somehow.
OreGunsNRoses
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2007, 03:22:40 PM »

nah buckethead didnt really fit in IMO. Along with axl's hair and image in 02', I think BH was a big part of making "GNR" seem more like a circus act than a rock n roll band.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: