Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 08:58:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227893 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  The Mars Volta: ?Frances The Mute?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Mars Volta: ?Frances The Mute?  (Read 2718 times)
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« on: February 22, 2005, 04:08:26 PM »

I read about this band in VG(Norwegian newspaper) today and i was stunned by the review. i'm getting the album tomorrow, but i felt like hearing what you guys think about this band?

They compared them to Led Zeppelin and says his voice reminds him of Plant with paranoia etc. he he, he goes on describing the music as a mix of jazz, rock, sci-fi, prog, Santana, long and nervewrecking instrumentalbreaks, latino, Pink Floyd, impro, Motorpsycho, mariachi og metal - and it can all be found in one tune......  it got 6/6...

I tried to search for the band on this site, but since that option doesn't work, i might aswell start a whole new topic about it he he...

What do you think, do they rock or suck? Huh Grin

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 06:09:56 AM »

They are quite unique. The most innovative band I heard recently along with The Postal Service. I'm yet to own an album, but I have downloaded half a dozen of songs of thier album " Deloused in the Comatorium". Try " Televators", " Eriatarka" and "Son et Lumiere".  Yeah, they sound like a pink floyd-led zepp hybrid on acid... Cedric ( lead singer) sounds a bit annoying, not a comfortable listen I'd say, but once you heard the songs a few times, you can't get it off your head. Highly recommended if you like Prog. ( This goes for you Skeletor!)

Fun Trivia fact: I beleive they toured with the Chili Peppers. Frusciante and Flea are big funs of their work. I think they contributed in a few songs of " Deloused.."

Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 07:51:19 AM »

I own deloused in the comatorium.

one of the best new albums i've heard from a band in recent times. its one of those albums you listen to the whole way through. you dont just pick a song and start from there. its really good from beginning to end. lots of good interludes and stuff.

oh yeah and john frusciante plays guitar on a track, and flea also plays bass on one too, cicatriz i think. and john on televators or maybe it was another track i dont remember.

his voice can get annoying, sometimes it sounds like hes on helium. the music itself is chaotic at times too. 7/4 5/4 lots of weird time signatures tempo changes the whole lot.

i suggest "roulette dares" or the other songs ignatius suggested.

i've yet to hear frances the mute........but im looking forward to buying it since deloused is pretty damn good.

Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 08:38:31 AM »

Im gonna get it! ok

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 08:20:04 AM »

i got the two albums they have out and i must say that these guys are fuckin' crazy! This music is so cool it's not even funny, it's like they heard axl talk about how his new music was going to be and then they just did it themself lol, but seriousely these guys rock!

Frances the Mute is wierd, first you have the cooles guitar riff ever with extremely cool drums and then it just floats out into some psycadelic shit which is almost boring, but when you realize that it's boring BANG it goes right back to the part you first dug..

And i think they way they put together FTM is quite unique, who has ever made a record in four chapters so to speak?

Is this revolutionary or just a breath of extremely fresh air with added oxygen? ok peace

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 08:30:39 PM »

i bought frances the mute, im still deciding whether i like it better than deloused. maybe its because i havent heard frances as much yet, while deloused i fell in love with and listened to a lot.

frances the mute is a fucking amazing album. you can see the band has progressed. all of them have gotten better. omar's soloing sounds a bit more professional. and i love that the singer used a lot of different voices both artificial and not. the drummer as always is insane.

there are a lot of times like erose said inbetween songs where its just weird noises or people talking or cars driving by or someone going crazy with the tape (speeding it up and slowing it down). but then just BANG goes into a new song.

this album has orchestration while deloused didnt it just makes the songs that much more.

what's your favourite track off each album?

deloused - roulette dares
frances - cygmund vismund cygnus (where it has the whole psychadelic guitar thing then goes to a breakdown then returns with the "whooooooooooooo dooooooooo youuuuuuu truuuuuuuuuuuuuuust", its orgasmic musical brilliance)
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 08:23:49 AM »

got both albums, love them to death!!
best 2 albums Ive bought in ages!

favourites now are Inertiatic Esp, Roulette Dares, L' Via L' Viaquez and the Miranda That Ghost Just Isn't Holy anymore chapter. But most of the songs are fucking great! ok

RichardNixon
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 07:27:45 AM »

I just picked up there new CD. At first I was like, WTF is this? But I think it's a really cool album. I can't give a detailed review now, as I only heard it once, but it's sort of like System of a Down.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 10:33:50 AM »

it's nothing like SOAD, this is good music...SOAD is not.. Grin

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: