Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:33:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227913 Posts in 43253 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  Can Axl save rock n roll with chinese democracy??
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can Axl save rock n roll with chinese democracy??  (Read 37718 times)
J.J. Cook
Headliner

« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2006, 01:42:35 PM »

Name somthing Rock N Roll from this decade

This goes to the few people who posted above me too. Buckcherry's going to do it, I'm telling you. They've got the rock n' roll image and lifestyle. They're rock stars. Josh Todd and Keith Nelson are the Mick & Keith, Steve & Joe, Axl & Slash of the 2000's. The gnr guys obviously agree since both josh and keith were almost in VR and they played a song together. They also chose to release a song Keith co-wrote as a single. Plus soon Buckcherry are going to have their second Gold album. They've played on the same bill as GNR, Motley Crue and AC/DC to name a few. They're the only actual rock band I know from this decade that has a chance. They even managed to cross into the pop charts with a song that shouldn't have been a hit ever and it was a rock song. They've had two big hits and both have been rock songs. Even Guns N' Roses didn't do that well until Sweet Child was released. This can mean only good things. If any band can do it they can. Plus I may be in the minority but I do find Buckcherry original. They've taken element from all the past generations instead of just looking at one thing and going with it. You can hear 70's elements, 80's elements and modern elements in their songs. They've got hard rock songs, power ballads, acoustic blues songs, modern sounding songs, punk songs and whatever else you want. They shall take over! Motley Crue and many other bands had to struggle before they got big and in an age where you get on hit album and then fade away Buckcherry is already ahead because they already did that, but unlike most bands they managed to come back instead of being another one-hit wonder {like most new bands like the darkness and some old bands like Quiet Riot}

I hate fanboys.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2006, 01:43:30 PM »

It's been a long time since there was a truly great band around, and i'm not talking about the ones already around.

Band's like Muse are where it's at now... no other band sounds like them, and that's what is needed for a band to change the world. ?Not faux machoism and posing.

whats need is original sound , AND a bad ass image and attitude.

Really... how do you explain the fact that Muse are the UK's biggest rock band, gaining a healthy following all over the world then. ?They did all that with an original sound... and they didn't have to be "badass"... because the "badass" thing is so tired now, that it impresses no one!
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2006, 01:45:19 PM »

It's been a long time since there was a truly great band around, and i'm not talking about the ones already around.

Band's like Muse are where it's at now... no other band sounds like them, and that's what is needed for a band to change the world. ?Not faux machoism and posing.

Really... how do you explain the fact that Muse are the UK's biggest rock band, gaining a healthy following all over the world then. ?They did all that with an original sound... and they didn't have to be "badass"... because the "badass" thing is so tired now, that it impresses no one!

bad ass has and always will impress people. Slash could do my mother and kill my dog in front of my eyes , and still I'd say lets go jam man you know why because he my friend is a geniune bad ass.
gandra
Banned
VIP

fire walk with me

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2006, 01:45:36 PM »

if u told anthony kieidis and flea the chili peppers are a rock n roll band they would jump off a building....thats the LAST thing the chili peppers are about is rock n roll..they are based in punk rock and funk music.......and rockn roll was dead around 1990 courtesy of faith no more, the chili peppers and nirvana

how come rock n roll dies every decade?

hendrix , o well rock n roll is dead?

then comes led zeppelin for the 70's

o well they break up , rock n roll is dead

then comes van halen for the 80's

o well they lose david lee roth , rock n roll is dead

comes GNR for the late 80's and early 90's

they disband up rock n roll is dead?

rock n roll is always dying huh?
yeah but...

when hedrix died there were led zepellinn,rstones...when they broke up 1980 there were more than 10 rnr great bands (aerosmith,queen,deep purple,,rstones were fresh too,and glam metal bands were on the start)

But now,you haven't that,you have legend about gunsnroses and their new album,and for sure Axl Rose ?have a big preasure,because he is very inteligent man and he knows he is big chance for rock and roll music

I have never seen so many tree
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2006, 01:46:59 PM »

bad ass has and always will impress people. Slash could do my mother and kill my dog in front of my eyes , and still I'd say lets go jam man you know why because he my friend is a geniune bad ass.

Dude, do you know anything about music?  If badass impressed anyone the Towers Of London would be the world's biggest band right now. Roll Eyes
guns_n_motley
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2006, 01:47:29 PM »

well, musically music has regressed... we went from guys like slash,eddie van halen, jerry cantrell in the late 80s,early 90s to kurt cobain....

theres really NO guitar heroes out there anymore... theres no guys I look at and go I want to play guitar because of that guy..
November_Rain
Loyal to death
VIP

The bittersweet honey of your eyes...

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2006, 01:48:44 PM »

I?m not going to name any currents band to avoid offense but I really doubt they will ever have a place in the throne of Rock?n?roll.

Some can be better, some can be worse but within a few years they won?t even be remembered. Bands like Metallica,Iron Maiden,GNR...etc are not going to change Rock music because they DID change it in their time. Maybe now they could save Rock?n?roll from its current apathy and lack of originality, not changing it but evolving and bringing back the spirit.

old bands arent goign to bring it back, but if kids are opened up to the older bands who were good musicians, they make pick up guitar or drums, or try and sing like that... and create their own bands in that vein...

its all about influence... if all kids hear these days is EMO, their gonna play EMO... but if a kid hears GNR and says "hmm let me check out bands like them" and checks out bands from the 60s,70s,80s he can have some good influences for music...

You have a point there but when I talk about bring back I refer to the spirit not to the music. The key with all musicians is to evolve and I think Axl has evolved and maybe he has some infuences from different ( old or NEW )bands/musicians/sounds... BUT with the true rock spirit still there. I don?t know if you get what I mean,English isn?t my mother language and sometimes I can?t explain well what I really want to say Smiley

Nobody will ever love you the way I do...
guns_n_motley
« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2006, 01:49:41 PM »

Name somthing Rock N Roll from this decade

This goes to the few people who posted above me too. Buckcherry's going to do it, I'm telling you. They've got the rock n' roll image and lifestyle. They're rock stars. Josh Todd and Keith Nelson are the Mick & Keith, Steve & Joe, Axl & Slash of the 2000's. The gnr guys obviously agree since both josh and keith were almost in VR and they played a song together. They also chose to release a song Keith co-wrote as a single. Plus soon Buckcherry are going to have their second Gold album. They've played on the same bill as GNR, Motley Crue and AC/DC to name a few. They're the only actual rock band I know from this decade that has a chance. They even managed to cross into the pop charts with a song that shouldn't have been a hit ever and it was a rock song. They've had two big hits and both have been rock songs. Even Guns N' Roses didn't do that well until Sweet Child was released. This can mean only good things. If any band can do it they can. Plus I may be in the minority but I do find Buckcherry original. They've taken element from all the past generations instead of just looking at one thing and going with it. You can hear 70's elements, 80's elements and modern elements in their songs. They've got hard rock songs, power ballads, acoustic blues songs, modern sounding songs, punk songs and whatever else you want. They shall take over! Motley Crue and many other bands had to struggle before they got big and in an age where you get on hit album and then fade away Buckcherry is already ahead because they already did that, but unlike most bands they managed to come back instead of being another one-hit wonder {like most new bands like the darkness and some old bands like Quiet Riot}

buckcherry I almost forgot about them... yes, they were the biggest surprise of the year.. who wouldve thought... after their one hit in 1999 theyd come back 7 years later and have a big hit and sell 400,000 copies of their new cd..
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2006, 01:49:48 PM »

well, musically music has regressed... we went from guys like slash,eddie van halen, jerry cantrell in the late 80s,early 90s to kurt cobain....

theres really NO guitar heroes out there anymore... theres no guys I look at and go I want to play guitar because of that guy..

The sounds were new! ?That's why it became popular! ?People were bored of hearing the "guitar god" shit from people like Van Halen... they wanted something new. ?And Nirvana was it!

And Jerry Cantrell was a member of Alice In Chains... their first record was released in 1990 - breakthrough record in 1992. ?He wasn't putting out music in the late 80s.
guns_n_motley
« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2006, 01:50:23 PM »

I?m not going to name any currents band to avoid offense but I really doubt they will ever have a place in the throne of Rock?n?roll.

Some can be better, some can be worse but within a few years they won?t even be remembered. Bands like Metallica,Iron Maiden,GNR...etc are not going to change Rock music because they DID change it in their time. Maybe now they could save Rock?n?roll from its current apathy and lack of originality, not changing it but evolving and bringing back the spirit.

old bands arent goign to bring it back, but if kids are opened up to the older bands who were good musicians, they make pick up guitar or drums, or try and sing like that... and create their own bands in that vein...

its all about influence... if all kids hear these days is EMO, their gonna play EMO... but if a kid hears GNR and says "hmm let me check out bands like them" and checks out bands from the 60s,70s,80s he can have some good influences for music...

You have a point there but when I talk about bring back I refer to the spirit not to the music. The key with all musicians is to evolve and I think Axl has evolved and maybe he has some infuences from different ( old or NEW )bands/musicians/sounds... BUT with the true rock spirit still there. I don?t know if you get what I mean,English isn?t my mother language and sometimes I can?t explain well what I really want to say Smiley

I get what you mean, its kind of what im saying too.. its about the spirit of rock n roll...
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2006, 01:51:36 PM »

Dude, do you know anything about music?? If badass impressed anyone the Towers Of London would be the world's biggest band right now. Roll Eyes

ok see you are not hearing me out i didn't say it's ALL about image the thing is we need a balance of it. Like zeppelin or aerosmith , kick ass tunes with a cool attitude. Image is a big factor in music and success you can't not go on stage with suspenders and stomach high pants with big glasses on expecting to have a good reaction. You have to appeal to people you have to have the "cool" factor.

Yea we need another guitar "hero" it's unexplainable i think ozzy said it best

" I dont want you to play fuckin fast man , I want you to make a riff so that some kid hears it and says holy shit i want to play guitar because of that "

( irony is that was in response to why he didnt want buckethead lol )

The sounds were new!  That's why it became popular!  People were bored of hearing the "guitar god" shit from people like Van Halen... they wanted something new.  And Nirvana was it!

And Jerry Cantrell was a member of Alice In Chains... their first record was released in 1990 - breakthrough record in 1992.  He wasn't putting out music in the late 80s.

yes and since gnr everything has been crappy power chords and boring everything , trying to push boundaires. So what was new is old , and what was "old"  ( classic rock type bands , with the style attitude etc ) can now become "new" to a whole other generation.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 01:53:18 PM by RageNirvanaNIN » Logged
guns_n_motley
« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2006, 01:52:39 PM »

The sounds were new! ?That's why it became popular! ?People were bored of hearing the "guitar god" shit from people like Van Halen... they wanted something new. ?And Nirvana was it!

And Jerry Cantrell was a member of Alice In Chains... their first record was released in 1990 - breakthrough record in 1992. ?He wasn't putting out music in the late 80s.

And Nirvana couldnt play... why didnt that torch go over to a band like Alice in Chains or Pantera?? who COULD play their instruments well...they were moving music forward... Nirvana was moving it backwards because now all you have to do to be as good as kurt is learn about 4 chords...it made it OK To suck at your instrument..

alice in chains improved on the sound of those bands before them...brought something new to the table..(I know they came out in 90, but still before nirvana)
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2006, 01:53:18 PM »

Muse have an image too... it's not the "badass" one, though. ?It's the one that people are interested in nowadays. ?They'd be laughed at and ridiculed like every other band who has that attitude if they did.
AtariLegend
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2006, 01:54:32 PM »

I wait a second to reply, then hit refresh and 20+ posts pop up.
guns_n_motley
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2006, 01:54:58 PM »

Muse have an image too... it's not the "badass" one, though. ?It's the one that people are interested in nowadays. ?They'd be laughed at and ridiculed like every other band who has that attitude if they did.

no one said anything about the muse.. you keep bringing them up.. I like the muse and think they are a good band... but they are one aspect of rock. they arent bringing it back.. they arent radically different from alot of the new bands out there... they arent against the grain of the time..
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2006, 01:55:10 PM »

And Nirvana couldnt play... why didnt that torch go over to a band like Alice in Chains or Pantera?? who COULD play their instruments well...they were moving music forward... Nirvana was moving it backwards because now all you have to do to be as good as kurt is learn about 4 chords...it made it OK To suck at your instrument..

alice in chains improved on the sound of those bands before them...brought something new to the table..(I know they came out in 90, but still before nirvana)

Actually, no... Nirvana's first album was released in 1989.
And bands today can play their instruments... get it into your head that you don't have to be playing complicated guitar solos to be able to play guitar.
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2006, 01:56:22 PM »

guns n roses ,motley crue , aerosmith , ac.dc , metallica , stones , maiden , zeppelin , buckcherry , alice in chains , sabbath , ozzy in general , zakk wylde, randy rhodes , deep purple are all laughed at?

Ok NAME some bands that can play guitar really? Im dying to hear them?
AtariLegend
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2006, 01:57:29 PM »

Megadeth + Metallica
RageNirvanaNIN
Mr sensitive
Banned
VIP

Here Today...

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2006, 01:58:18 PM »

Megadeth + Metallica

? are you responding to my question lol? I meant modern bands , fresh guys.
AxlReznor
VIP

Alternative Monkey

« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2006, 01:58:35 PM »

guns n roses ,motley crue , aerosmith , ac.dc , metallica , stones , maiden , zeppelin , buckcherry , alice in chains , sabbath , ozzy in general , zakk wylde, randy rhodes , deep purple are all laughed at?

Ok NAME some bands that can play guitar really? Im dying to hear them?

Muse, Stereophonics, Trivium, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, Korn (yes, they can play), Tool, A Perfect Circle, Audioslave.

And yes... all of those bands are mocked now. ?And Alice In Chains were never badass... they're considered a depressing, introverted band... you not read those lyrics?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: