Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2024, 05:40:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227843 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  The GN'R vs Nirvana thread
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The GN'R vs Nirvana thread  (Read 66142 times)
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #280 on: October 13, 2006, 09:45:04 PM »

It's shocking that Kurt said these things about GN'R. Even if you hate GN'R and/or Axl you have to admit they were very talented and the lyrics are talented. Kurt imo is an extremely overrated musician and Nirvana is just as overrated. GN'R own Nirvana lyrically, musically, vocally etc. and I'm not just saying that as GN'R fan. Axl tried to make ends meet with Kurt, but Kurt just threw it back in his face. Kurt was a very jealous man.

Lyrically, GN'R had its moments but overall, they sang about the same crap as the hair metal junk before them. Cobain's lyrics weren't much better though. Instead of singing immature stuff like "turn around bitch I got a use for you!" (hilarious, but still immature as hell), Cobain sang about bipolar behavior (which is negative as hell and not what I'd call great songwriting):

"I like it - I'm not gonna crack
I miss you - I'm not gonna crack;
I love you - I'm not gonna crack
I killed you - I'm not gonna crack"

Overall, I would say neither one of them were great songwriters. Great songwriters provide something of meaning to the world (Bob Dylan, etc.). As you've pointed out, GN'R blows Nirvana out of the water when it comes to musical talent.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #281 on: October 13, 2006, 11:44:07 PM »

All i've got to say is who's still alive and who isn't?

I wonder who was more fucked up...

Cobain & Nirvana have gotta be the most overrated guys in the history of music. I liked their stuff, but I didn't love it.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
GeraldFord
« Reply #282 on: October 14, 2006, 01:27:15 AM »

Did KC say something about Slash in his Journal?
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #283 on: October 14, 2006, 03:18:24 AM »

One of the great paradoxes in the world is that these people like Cobain claim they're so open minded and accepting, yet are completely judgmental.  Cobain never even knew Axl Rose, but he thought he had him all figured out because of listening to One In A Million.  Cobain was a pretentious hypocrite and a real prick

If anyone hasn't read Life On Planet Rock by Lonn Friend, who used to be the editor of RIP, you should do yourself a favor and read it.  It's a great read and  there's a chapter on GnR and also a chapter on Nirvana.  Cobain comes off as a self righteous asshole
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 03:23:08 AM by ShotgunBlues1978 » Logged
CAFC Nick
VIP

I don't know just what I should do...

« Reply #284 on: October 14, 2006, 05:01:29 AM »

I read that before Kurt got famous he was known to sport an AFD t-shirt.

On subject, even if you think Nirvana are better, I don't see how you could put Kurt above Slash in the top-guitarists because Kurt pretty much plays power-chords in his songs.
The Legend
Killer
VIP

DX sez "Suck It!"

« Reply #285 on: October 14, 2006, 08:06:15 AM »

One of the great paradoxes in the world is that these people like Cobain claim they're so open minded and accepting, yet are completely judgmental.? Cobain never even knew Axl Rose, but he thought he had him all figured out because of listening to One In A Million.? Cobain was a pretentious hypocrite and a real prick

If anyone hasn't read Life On Planet Rock by Lonn Friend, who used to be the editor of RIP, you should do yourself a favor and read it.? It's a great read and? there's a chapter on GnR and also a chapter on Nirvana.? Cobain comes off as a self righteous asshole

Quite possibly one of the greatest & most accurate posts ever in a message board.

"Anybody who is sitting here - in the year 2007 - and arguing that this band isn't guns n roses has to be half retarded." - Jim Bob, HTGTH poster, 2007.

GNR shows:
10/25/06
10/27/06
axlslasher
« Reply #286 on: October 14, 2006, 01:59:13 PM »

Nirvana and Cobain are overrated!
pollyblue
Rocker

t.w.a.t.

« Reply #287 on: October 14, 2006, 02:03:28 PM »

cobain is indeed overrated. i liked his voice but his guitar player skills were very low.

BlowUpYourVideo
Swimmin' in my ability
Legend

Carbon monoxide

« Reply #288 on: October 14, 2006, 02:25:33 PM »

I don't mind Nirvana but it seemed as though he made those comments for the sake of it.

They say of the Acropolis where the Parthenon is....
shoup
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #289 on: October 14, 2006, 04:14:54 PM »

Cobain > Rose

I like both bands, but Nirvana a little more.
AtariLegend
« Reply #290 on: October 14, 2006, 04:16:51 PM »

If Kurt didn't kill himself, Grunge would've been nothing more than a fad.
mrlee
I'm Your Sun King, Baby
Legend

« Reply #291 on: October 14, 2006, 07:54:03 PM »

kurts comments are just stupid. saying they are talentless and they write crap songs.

listen to the majority of in utero...he has cheek to say that about gnr.

html sucks
polluxlm
Mennesker Er Dumme
Legend

« Reply #292 on: October 14, 2006, 09:15:08 PM »

Cobain cracks me up. Just another on of those lost and isolated people with a total unrealistic view on the world. Usually they end up dead or in a home somewhere. Justice get's served I guess. Too bad they have to be elevated to demi-gods for a while as a result though.

Ah, mere infantry. Poor beggars.

GN'R Tour Overview 1984-2007
GNRfan2008
Headliner

« Reply #293 on: October 15, 2006, 04:45:58 AM »

One of the great paradoxes in the world is that these people like Cobain claim they're so open minded and accepting, yet are completely judgmental.  Cobain never even knew Axl Rose, but he thought he had him all figured out because of listening to One In A Million.  Cobain was a pretentious hypocrite and a real prick

If anyone hasn't read Life On Planet Rock by Lonn Friend, who used to be the editor of RIP, you should do yourself a favor and read it.  It's a great read and  there's a chapter on GnR and also a chapter on Nirvana.  Cobain comes off as a self righteous asshole

Yeah, well said. I couldn't agree more. Cobain was definitely a self-righteous prick. This will probably piss off some of y'all on here, but I'll go ahead and say it. Axl is or at least WAS a major asshole. But at least he was NOT afraid to admit it (and he even joked about it recently when he had that dumbass fan kicked out of a concert during SCOM). Cobain pretended like he had his own shit together and was better than everyone else, when in fact he was a million times more screwed up in the head than any of the people he talked shit about.

EDIT: LMFAO...I just found an article from Rolling Stone for the 10th anniversary of Nevermind, and in it, they mention that GN'R is more influential on current rock bands (meaning 2001) than Nirvana because imitating Nirvana would feel like heading for a dead end. Yeah Kurt. GN'R was a band of talentless hacks. Riiiiiight.  Roll Eyes

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/5934228/nirvana

Even among current rock bands, where is Nirvana's influence? Those bands would certainly say respectful things about Nirvana, if asked, but they're far more likely to have been genuinely influenced by Dr. Dre, Jane's Addiction or even Guns N' Roses (a band, ironically, that Cobain despised) than Nirvana. A band setting out to emulate Nirvana must feel as if it's heading for a dead-end. Or worse.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 05:44:59 AM by GNRfan2008 » Logged
Adler_Sorum_Brain
Rocker

Look at the lies Slash is leading

« Reply #294 on: October 15, 2006, 05:45:41 AM »

Nirvana kicks ass, Guns 2....But why in the hell should Nirvana open for GNR in 1992 ? And why in the hell should they play on Axl?s 30:th year birthday ? I don?t think it was rude of Nirvana to turn Guns down, but to mock Axl at the VMA?s was a little harsch......But duff really comes out as a little gay  here..I mean he and like 10 Security guards are pushing Krist Nsovelic around..Why not beat him up himself Huh

This is silly..This was silly..just like every other beefs Axl has been involved with during the years.

As the dust settled, Axl stared unblinkingly at me and, with no hint of irony, summed up GN?R?s philosophy: ?We don?t start anything. But if you mess with us, then we?ll fuck you up!
guns_n_motley
« Reply #295 on: October 15, 2006, 08:38:14 AM »

Musically Nirvana SUCKED!!! Kurt couldnt play his guitar for shit... Roll Eyes
Mr Rage
Rocker

My Friends Call Me ACE!!!!!

« Reply #296 on: October 15, 2006, 09:59:58 AM »

kurt cobain was the first EMO!!!!!

A World Without BASS is.....CHAOS
AtariLegend
« Reply #297 on: October 15, 2006, 10:02:23 AM »

kurt cobain was the first EMO!!!!!

Grunge sounds like EMO?

Fool!
Mr Rage
Rocker

My Friends Call Me ACE!!!!!

« Reply #298 on: October 15, 2006, 10:06:34 AM »

it's the same attidude; I hate myself and wanna die

A World Without BASS is.....CHAOS
AtariLegend
« Reply #299 on: October 15, 2006, 10:09:37 AM »

I guess starting a Grunge Vs Emo thread would be a bad idea then.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: