Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 07:43:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227900 Posts in 43252 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Robin leaving? Just touring?
Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 237 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Robin leaving? Just touring?  (Read 734459 times)
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #4620 on: March 19, 2009, 05:42:33 AM »

rip on Robin all you like - but - when he is playing his OWN material he sounds like a totally different guitar player to me.

Good point. I like Robin playing his own material, but no when he plays songs from Appetite, Lies and Illusions. There're two reason I think current GNR it's not such "good" live. One is sloppy Robin's solos and the other one is Axl's voice, it's sounds weak most part of the show.

Forgive you for not knowing what you're talking about. hihi

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4621 on: March 19, 2009, 07:38:03 AM »

^ Indeed.

But anyways, I won't turn this thread again in a Robin x Slash thing. People already did that nonsense in the Dead Horse section.

there is loose and then there is there is sloppy.

keith richards = loose
Joe perry = loosey goosey
Richard fortus = loose, but can rip when he wants but thas the "feel".
Robin finck = sloppy

thats not an aopinion formed because he has chosen to leave the band for now (lets not kid ourselves), but one fomred on the basis of countless bootlegs, youtube vids, and actual seeing him live three times with gnr.
Lets not kid ourselves, you're full of it.

erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #4622 on: March 19, 2009, 07:50:20 AM »

I've critisized Robins playing many times because he's done alot of wierd things live. Specially when it comes to bending shit way out of tune, but nothing has ever ruined a gig or anything like that.

His work on cd is also beyound beliefe.

I really don't give a fuck if he's in or out because I think it's strange of him to leave everyone hanging, but to say he sucks is just really fuckin' ignorant.

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
daviebuckethead
VIP

it'd be a long time for anyone..........

« Reply #4623 on: March 19, 2009, 09:36:21 AM »

^ Indeed.

But anyways, I won't turn this thread again in a Robin x Slash thing. People already did that nonsense in the Dead Horse section.

keith richards = loose
Robin finck = sloppy

thats not an aopinion formed because he has chosen to leave the band for now (lets not kid ourselves), but one fomred on the basis of countless bootlegs, youtube vids, and actual seeing him live three times with gnr.

so you think that robin has not chosen to leave the band for now?
you think that robin is still in GnR and is in contact with the band?
you think that robin talked over his departure to NIN with his GnR bandmates before it happened?
you think that the mystery, "is he in, or out", was created just to get fans talking?
you think that Robin always performs GnR songs at least halfway accurate during a live setting?
you think because robin grows a beard and gets all hippy, that it forgives making large noticeable mistakes during key solo's during the gig, because he looks the part?

I dont think it is me sir, who is full of it.

personally i dont see why GnR perservered with him, when there are so many better guitar players out there. I'm sure that robin is ok in the studio, perhaps playing his own material, and that he has the ability to learn the old songs note for note (or at least change them up). My point is that i think he cant be bothered learning the old songs, its unprofessional and the solo's suffer for it. Why GnR are holding out for him i beyond me, he's not shit.......just very mediocre

everytime i see them makes me wish i had a gun.....
GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #4624 on: March 19, 2009, 01:03:17 PM »

^ Indeed.

keith richards = loose
Robin finck = sloppy

you think that robin talked over his departure to NIN with his GnR bandmates before it happened?
you think that the mystery, "is he in, or out", was created just to get fans talking?
you think that Robin always performs GnR songs at least halfway accurate during a live setting?
you think because robin grows a beard and gets all hippy, that it forgives making large noticeable mistakes during key solo's during the gig, because he looks the part?

personally i dont see why GnR perservered with him, when there are so many better guitar players out there. I'm sure that robin is ok in the studio, perhaps playing his own material, and that he has the ability to learn the old songs note for note (or at least change them up). My point is that i think he cant be bothered learning the old songs, its unprofessional and the solo's suffer for it. Why GnR are holding out for him i beyond me, he's not shit.......just very mediocre

1. I feel instead of sitting around he was asked by Trent to play in NIN, since it the last NIN forever im sure he wanted to be apart of something he started along time ago.

2. Robin seems to be a free spirit, like Axl said it caught everyone off guard.

3. No it's just the way he operates, Axl said  it made things awkward but that's just how he is.

4. Robin does a damn good job playing GnR material, just because he's not a copy cat of Slash and puts his on twist on it doesn't mean that he sucks.

5. Why knock the guy on his stage presense ? hippy, 08-09 style is cool with me.  That's just a stupid excuse to knock his playing, saying there are other guitarist who could do better ? well not really ! if Axl and Trent want you in their band then you half to be a pretty damn good guitarist.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4625 on: March 19, 2009, 01:07:42 PM »

No, I don't know what he's up to as Axl already settled how Robin has some interest in touring.

Yes, as I mentioned above.

Yes.

No.

Yes. You're focusing too much in his mistakes it's not even funny. Also, to say "accurate", you're probably talking about how far from the original (aka Slash work) Robin is, which is not up to debate on skills.

WTF are you talking about? Did I say something in this matter? I don't care about his look, I've always loved his solos since I heard SCOM on Big Daddy in 1999 (and the Ghosts of Mars soundtrack in the following year). Also, lots of his mistakes were in 2002 - which, with no surprises, you're focusing on.

Why don't you focus on Buckethead ridiculous off key bend in his November Rain outro? Maybe because almost nobody ever noticed that? Or maybe how Slash used to bend out of key in Nightrain... May I assume you forgive them because they looked cool enough for you?

Sure not.

personally i dont see why GnR perservered with him, when there are so many better guitar players out there.
Ever heard about writing? Ever heard about unique style? There's not much guitar players out there who has this unique sound and style (the same goes to Bucket and Bumblefoot). If you think Axl was looking for some random guitar player who could play 100% like Slash, you don't even understand this band.

I'm sure that robin is ok in the studio, perhaps playing his own material, and that he has the ability to learn the old songs note for note (or at least change them up). My point is that i think he cant be bothered learning the old songs, its unprofessional and the solo's suffer for it.
Just ok in the studio? Maybe you think solos like Better, TWAT, SOD, This I Love and his rhythm work in several of the songs are just ok?

And who said he's there just to play the old songs?

Even so, I still prefer him anytime over Slash in November Rain, Mr Brownstone, SCOM...

Why GnR are holding out for him i beyond me, he's not shit.......just very mediocre
What an ignorant statement. Just because YOU don't like him, you can't even recognize how Robin has enough to be a HUGE part of the new album and the new band. Thanks God nobody - from Axl to Trent - has such a mediocre thought about what a guitar player is.

ppbebe
Legend

« Reply #4626 on: March 19, 2009, 01:24:51 PM »

you think because robin grows a beard and gets all hippy,

voodoo's been in favour of Robin's uniqueness since 2001/2 shows.    rofl  and so have I.

and i believe brain said he and robin were still texting to each other a few monthsish ago.
The Glow Inc.
Headliner

« Reply #4627 on: March 19, 2009, 02:48:05 PM »

5. Why knock the guy on his stage presense ? hippy, 08-09 style is cool with me. 

Word. I understand why some people don't dig his playing but I don't get how anyone can say that his stage presence sucks...
Besides, I've always loved his outfits, both in NIN and in GNR.
daviebuckethead
VIP

« Reply #4628 on: March 19, 2009, 11:26:52 PM »

i have to really laugh at you guys.....

it may seem to you like im obsessed by the mistakes robin makes

you obsession seesm to be justifying him a better guitar player than slash.

hell i didnt even mention slash, I can play the old GnR stuff better than Robin can for gods sake!

btw, although i think the arrangement and lyrics of of TIL are amazing, the solo is just doesn't match the standard the surrounding material
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:17:13 AM by daviebuckethead » Logged

demo23nz
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4629 on: March 20, 2009, 12:01:42 AM »

If other people dig him that's cool, but when I saw GnR in 2006, Robin was easily the weakest link for me.

I didn't think much of his soloing in general... Consistently off-key bends, slightly grating tone and neither a great facsimile of the original nor an exciting new approach. And I thought his solo spot was one of the worst I've seen at a 'big' show. Maybe it was a bad night for him... But it certainly wasn't very impressive.  I also don't hear anything playing-wise on CD by him that is particularly mind-blowing. Competent? Sure... But not super distinctive or "Holy Shit! Check That Out!!!" awesome by any stretch for me. I really don't think he's anything that special as a guitarist...

'Better' is one of my favourite tunes on CD though, so credit to him for his hand in writing that.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:06:53 AM by demo23nz » Logged
The Glow Inc.
Headliner

« Reply #4630 on: March 20, 2009, 05:28:52 AM »

I also don't hear anything playing-wise on CD by him that is particularly mind-blowing.

Well, he isn't a very technical guitarist like Bumblefoot, Buckethead or even Richard Fortus but he sure can write cool solos. I mean he came with the Street of Dreams solo which is easily one of the most melodic on the entire album. That and the melodic Better solo ( let alone the song in general ).

Yet, I admit that he can be very sloppy and litteraly butcher the old material on some nights...I mean some of his solos on the Rock In Rio 2006 were particulary...mehish...Yet I love him for his antics, stage presence, original material, appearence. And when he is in a good night, his playing is far from being bad ( yet nothing mind-blowing, I give you that ).
russtcb
Takin' Care Of Business In A Flash
Legend

« Reply #4631 on: March 20, 2009, 08:58:13 AM »

I've never thought of Robin as sloppy or butchering anything. I think the guy pours himself into every note. He emotes and plays with feeling like no one else I've seen for years.

"It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me"
https://www.youtube.com/infectiousgroovepodcast
daviebuckethead
VIP

« Reply #4632 on: March 20, 2009, 11:20:59 AM »

If other people dig him that's cool, but when I saw GnR in 2006, Robin was easily the weakest link for me.

I didn't think much of his soloing in general... Consistently off-key bends, slightly grating tone and neither a great facsimile of the original nor an exciting new approach. And I thought his solo spot was one of the worst I've seen at a 'big' show. Maybe it was a bad night for him... But it certainly wasn't very impressive.  I also don't hear anything playing-wise on CD by him that is particularly mind-blowing. Competent? Sure... But not super distinctive or "Holy Shit! Check That Out!!!" awesome by any stretch for me. I really don't think he's anything that special as a guitarist...

Thank God, some sense! this is an informed statement because you probably know a thing or two about guitar, or perhaps play yourself, and recognise that although competent, robin is no god...j......ust run of the mill. People get upset if you dont bow to Robin, and if you do have a pop they bring up slash and buckethead (very tiring), when they were never mentioned as a comparison in the first place

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4633 on: March 20, 2009, 11:24:37 AM »

^ I play guitar for about 14 years. You don't seem to get, don't you?

i have to really laugh at you guys.....

it may seem to you like im obsessed by the mistakes robin makes

you obsession seesm to be justifying him a better guitar player than slash.
I don't have to justify anything, but in other hand you seem to have a need to discredit him just because you don't like the guy.

But I do think it's funny how you didn't answer me.

hell i didnt even mention slash, I can play the old GnR stuff better than Robin can for gods sake!
Of course you can. And I'm sure you can write better solos to. Roll Eyes

So unfair Axl didn't call you yet.

btw, although i think the arrangement and lyrics of of TIL are amazing, the solo is just doesn't match the standard the surrounding material
Of course not, he's being too Robin for you.

daviebuckethead
VIP

« Reply #4634 on: March 20, 2009, 11:46:05 AM »

Voodoo child

if you mean the question about other GnR guitar players mistakes?

lets be honest everyone makes a mistake now and then, and i could forgive robin a bum note or two in a gig, but the mistakes are presistent and in the same songs all the time, the other guitarists you mention have made mistakes but i dont think to the extent and frequency of robin.

Like the other poster has said, his "solo" spot in the 06 shows was easily the weakest part of the show.

also, i dont HATE robin as a personality. If he has chose to do other things, who can blame him? he's been sitting around for years waiting (all the more time to practice i may add  ok ). I just dont think he is good enough to be lead guitar player in a band like GnR.

oh, and with regard to the sarcasm on my guitar playing......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8esngSmIWmk

fast forward to 02:57..........................and yeah there is a bum note in there  rofl

GNR4L
Legend

GnFnR

« Reply #4635 on: March 20, 2009, 01:27:14 PM »

Thank God, some sense! this is an informed statement because you probably know a thing or two about guitar, or perhaps play yourself, and recognise that although competent, robin is no god...j......ust run of the mill. People get upset if you dont bow to Robin, and if you do have a pop they bring up slash and buckethead (very tiring), when they were never mentioned as a comparison in the first place

People get upset when members come in a thread that is specifically for a new member and degrade his guitar playing skills.  Alot of people like Robin including myself, I prefer his playing over Slash personally.  GnR isn't touring and Robin doesn't wanna sit around so he went and played in NIN last tour.   It can't get anymore obvious then that.  Axl himself said recently he was in the band, so yeah..... he will be back.

12/10/2006 Everett, WA
12/16/2011 Seattle, WA
12/17/2011 Vancouver B.C.
11/24/2012 Las Vegas, NV
5/21/2014 Las Vegas, NV
4/8/2016   Las Vegas, NV
4/9/2016   Las Vegas, NV
8/12/2016 Seattle, WA
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4636 on: March 20, 2009, 01:32:41 PM »

Voodoo child

if you mean the question about other GnR guitar players mistakes?

lets be honest everyone makes a mistake now and then, and i could forgive robin a bum note or two in a gig, but the mistakes are presistent and in the same songs all the time, the other guitarists you mention have made mistakes but i dont think to the extent and frequency of robin.
Buckethead fucked up this bend note in November Rain in every single show in 2002.

Like the other poster has said, his "solo" spot in the 06 shows was easily the weakest part of the show.
It's your opinion. I know jarmo (just someone I remember) loved Robin's rendition of a classical song. IMHO, his solo spot in the Inland Invasion gig was one of the highlights of the night. In the US leg of the tour, his blues solo always got nice comments.

I could care less about your opinion and the other poster, but I'm showing how it's all a matter of opinion here. There's people who love him, there's people who hate him. Which leads to another point:

also, i dont HATE robin as a personality. If he has chose to do other things, who can blame him? he's been sitting around for years waiting (all the more time to practice i may add  ok ). I just dont think he is good enough to be lead guitar player in a band like GnR.
I'm not saying about hating the person on his own. But your claim that he's not good enough is just plain silly. You clearly didn't get the point.

oh, and with regard to the sarcasm on my guitar playing......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8esngSmIWmk

fast forward to 02:57..........................and yeah there is a bum note in there  rofl
Thanks, now I see why you're saying all those things. Do you think I'd be impressed with generic fast playing?

Listen, I know theres a million guitar players out there who can play as fast or as accurate as you. But also, not a single one of those people (maybe including you) has anything new or fresh to offer. Robin has. Buckethead has. Bumblefoot has. That's a HUGE difference between basic skills and writing and uniqueness. That's why Axl didn't get some random guitar player instead of Robin back in 2000 - he wanted Buckethead, who could push the band to a new level, but also is original enough.

Maybe you're still into this "wow, I can use two hands and superfast arpeggios", but I don't think any of the guitar players in the band - including Slash and your beloved Buckethead - were all about this.

daviebuckethead
VIP

« Reply #4637 on: March 20, 2009, 02:37:13 PM »

i read all your post, and have decided to give up after the "...Slash and my beloved Buckethead part". Honestly, how many times...? its not a comparison, 'smy argument is about quality. Do i like slash's playing? sure i do, i think the his work in GnR is awesome, but the "signature solo's" he once had are now gone, perhaps because his material isn't quite as grand as it was in GnR.

I own one buckethead album, and to be honest, although i thought he was a good guitarist technically, it was a little strange for me.

so once again, no comparisons. just focus on his Robins live playing. You and many others seem to be happy with it, thats fine. at the gigs i attended people at front weren't blown away.

for example Rons version of dont cry isn't crazy technically, but its an awesome take on the song and his executes it perfectly, every time.

bottom line is, you're happy with robins playing in the live arena. I'm not. Nothings going to change your opinion or mine (unless he dramatically improved for me). But please, the slash and buckethead defence is really, really tiring.

daviebuckethead
VIP

« Reply #4638 on: March 20, 2009, 02:43:17 PM »

People get upset when members come in a thread that is specifically for a new member and degrade his guitar playing skills.  Alot of people like Robin including myself, I prefer his playing over Slash personally.  GnR isn't touring and Robin doesn't wanna sit around so he went and played in NIN last tour.   It can't get anymore obvious then that.  Axl himself said recently he was in the band, so yeah..... he will be back.

out of interest, how can you make that comparison with slash and robin. one released 5 albums worth of GnR material, the other has one. Are you including ghosts of mars, or nin in htat comparison?

again, i'm not hiding in slash's ass or anything but, imo, there isn't an estranged, November Rain, YCBM, SCOM, Rocket Queen, type solo on chinese demcocracy, and i love chinese democracy!

as i said in my other post, slash doesn't have solos like that anymore, so........just an observation from my point of view

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #4639 on: March 20, 2009, 02:49:09 PM »

i read all your post, and have decided to give up after the "...Slash and my beloved Buckethead part". Honestly, how many times...? its not a comparison, 'smy argument is about quality. Do i like slash's playing? sure i do, i think the his work in GnR is awesome, but the "signature solo's" he once had are now gone, perhaps because his material isn't quite as grand as it was in GnR.

I own one buckethead album, and to be honest, although i thought he was a good guitarist technically, it was a little strange for me.
Hard to tell when your screen name says "daviebuckethead".

so once again, no comparisons. just focus on his Robins live playing. You and many others seem to be happy with it, thats fine. at the gigs i attended people at front weren't blown away.
The same could be said about Izzy. Honestly, people get blown away by far when someone just acts cool enough and sustain a note. I don't really think this is a parameter.

About comparisons, you said he didn't play accurate. Then, I said you could have said "accurate" in comparison to Slash, hence why I mentioned that. If you didn't bother to agree/disagree, I thought I was right.

for example Rons version of dont cry isn't crazy technically, but its an awesome take on the song and his executes it perfectly, every time.

bottom line is, you're happy with robins playing in the live arena. I'm not. Nothings going to change your opinion or mine (unless he dramatically improved for me). But please, the slash and buckethead defence is really, really tiring.
I really don't want to do that. But well, you have said some things like:

"I just dont think he is good enough to be lead guitar player in a band like GnR."
"Why GnR are holding out for him i beyond me, he's not shit.......just very mediocre"
"i dont see why GnR perservered with him, when there are so many better guitar players out there"

You're not only making some comparisons, but also discrediting him for everything he did to the band.

You know what's really tiring? To have some people like you going here every once in a while just to say how Robin sucks and he's gone - even when NOBODY, not even Axl, confirmed such a thing. Honestly, seems like you're trying too hard to make people's mind.

I don't want to change your opinion, but only show you how unfair and silly is to discredit Robin as if there is really so many guitar players out there as unique as him. But I don't think you'll ever get this point, hence why you keep ignoring it.

Pages: 1 ... 230 231 [232] 233 234 ... 237 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: