Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 04:48:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227886 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  One in a million guitar parts:
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: One in a million guitar parts:  (Read 2476 times)
jimmythegent
Legend

Live!! From Burning Hills, Wellington...

« on: November 29, 2005, 09:45:46 PM »

Izzys parts on 'One in a million' (dirty sounding guitar coming out of the left channel) are just classic Izzy and some of the coolest parts he's played IMO. In fact it's one of the most enjoyable variables of any GNR song to me.

Also, Slash's solo is a stunner - the guitars on this song are just right - even Duffs accoustic rhthym part
What do people think?

As fascinating and intriguing (not to mention controversial) a song as Guns ever produced with every member on top of their respective games

"Dive in and find the monkey!"
jameslofton29
What, me negative?
Legend

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 10:02:42 PM »

Yeah, its a great song, but the topic of the song prevents it from truly being appreciated by the general public and media critics.

WhatIsItMan
VIP

What IS it Man?!

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 10:33:28 PM »

Yeah, its a great song, but the topic of the song prevents it from truly being appreciated by the general public and media critics.

Exactly.  Change a few lyrics, add some drums...  Hmm...

Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 12:12:48 AM »

IMO, it's the best rhythm guitar along with Rocket Queen. Izzy was just perfect with that overdriven guitar.

Duff work is ok. Slash solo is awesome, best accoustic solo in GN'R. I love playing this solo, it's really good to warm up before a rehearsal! Smiley

Axl's piano ending is gorgeous too. The mix is one of the bests - if not the best - work in all albums.

Oh, and leave the instrumental the way it is - drums would not fit right in this song.

Axl_owns_dexter
VIP

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 01:13:05 AM »

It is one of the most honest songs ever recorded.  Its a story about a kid from Indiana who gets thrown to the snakes in the Jungle of LA.  I wouldn't change a damn thing on that song.

"You want to do something impressive? Get Kim Jong-Il  to sing "Give Peace A Chance." Yeah -- big televised duet with Yoko. That's when I'll be impressed."  - Gary Brecher, the "war nerd"
SADIS
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 03:45:29 AM »

Fuck mass appeal and the media. This song wouldn't have kicked as much ass if it were a love song or whatever....the reason the song fits so great is also because of its lyrics.....there is absolutely nothing in that song that should have been different. My favorite GNR track ever!
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 09:11:59 AM »

That is a very heartfelt song, from all standpoints. I love it yes

But without those particular lyrics, I doubt we would've gotten the same reaction/sound, you can feel the anger, confusion, hurt in slash's guitar work. and Axl drug it out of him. It's unfortunate that Slash was so pissed about it but... it's hard to put to words i guess. It just kicks major ass ok
« Last Edit: November 30, 2005, 09:15:08 AM by Neemo » Logged

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 05:36:01 PM »

My favorite song tied with probably Dead Horse. One in a Million is one of the most complete songs GNR has ever done. Not only the lyrics, but the acoustic rythm & lead and electric guitar are amazing. Even the piano parts at the very end sound great.

Me and a friend of mine tried to cover a few times, but he says playing One in a Million hurt his fingers like a motherfucker after the first chorus. I've never known why...
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 06:10:13 PM »

But without those particular lyrics, I doubt we would've gotten the same reaction/sound, you can feel the anger, confusion, hurt in slash's guitar work. and Axl drug it out of him. It's unfortunate that Slash was so pissed about it but... it's hard to put to words i guess. It just kicks major ass ok

You actually think Axl said *igger and faggots to get a confused hurtful sound from Slash? Hahaha. I agree its a beautiful song but Axl almost had it ruined with the subject line. Then he brought it back from suckiness with the cool chorus. It was close to being another SCOM...except for the lyrics.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 06:49:52 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but I don't remember there being piano in One In A Million, I thought it was all acoustic guitar?
Looks like I'll have to go listen to it again!

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
jabba2
VIP

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 09:24:21 PM »

At the very end of the song you can hear piano. But i never thought the piano was beautiful or anything. Just sounds like someone jamming.
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2005, 09:46:34 AM »

You actually think Axl said *igger and faggots to get a confused hurtful sound from Slash? Hahaha. I agree its a beautiful song but Axl almost had it ruined with the subject line. Then he brought it back from suckiness with the cool chorus. It was close to being another SCOM...except for the lyrics.

No, i think the reaction he got was unintentional, but thats what made GnR so great, they brought the best out of each other.

They were rather serious about the song when they played live (which was only a couple times, btw) and on the CBGB video you can actually see and hear Duff look over at Slash and say "are you alright?" during that verse. To me that is one of GnR's most heartfelt songs and it was one of the songs that blew up their bad-boy image. you want GnR controversy? OiaM that's the controversy. The way i look at it is Slash knew where Axl was coming from with those lyrics and must've been ok with it cuz, first of all he played on the studio recording, and played it live, if it was that big of a deal I'm sure he would've just said "fuck you we're not doing it."

Also the 'N' word is hardly the only derogatory thing in there, it's funny how you type *igger, but are fine with typing immigrants and faggots, when he says those two with just as much unfreindlyness.

Yeah there is piano in there at the end, and I'm pretty sure the lead guitar is electric as well, not an acoustic with gain.

MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2005, 10:09:44 AM »

the song is perfect, i wouldn't change a thing. and i don't get why they call the song racist or whatever.

"Radicals and racists. don't point your finger at me, i'm just a small town white boy, trying to make ends meet" this pretty much makes it just a stand out point from his personal life, and not some facist manifesto or whatever ppl tried to made it look like.

the song is simple, and in it's simplicity lies the perfection of it all.

Chinese Democracy!
Eugene Klein
Rocker

--Powder on wound--

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2005, 12:52:55 PM »

That tune represents the end of an era.? Also it seems Izzy had problems with the lyrics according to http://www.gnrinfo.tk

Izzy: I have a big problem with that lyric. I've talked to Axl many times about his lyrics. 'You don't need to say that, Axl. You're a fuckin' immigrant yourself. Everyone's a fuckin' immigrant in America. Don't you see you're putting down the whole of fuckin' America? And if they faggots, well so what? Axl... is very... confused. But I was pissed off. I was very against that shit going on our record. 'Why'd you have to say that, Axl. It's hard enough just gettin' by.' But at the same time, y'know, this is just fuckin' rock 'n' roll music. When it's fucked up, it's more interesting. Whoever said this was responsible music, y'know? We're not fuckin' role models. At all.'

Anyway besides the controversy, it's very emotional and yeah the piano in the end is perfect, everytime i hear that part reminds of my LP getting to the end.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 12:55:51 PM by Eugene Klein » Logged

??\\\ G.A.S. ///??
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: