Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 03:39:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 138182 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2014, 09:07:49 PM »

Apparently the Angels and Trout maybe close to a 5-6 year deal worth 150-160.

It also looks like the Cards Jaime Garcia surgically repaired shoulder is acting up, back to STL for an MRI tomorrow.

Speaking of  Huh contracts, the Cards extending him in 2011 for 4 years at 27.5 was goofy then, it's beyond goofy in hindsight as well.

only 5-6 surprises me. With how young he is if there's anyone you could give an 8-10 year deal to it would be him.

It appears the Trout camp wants to keep it 5-6 so he can hit free agency in his age 27-28 season.

Someone will undoubtedly give him 8-10 years at God knows what then.

Great for Trout, not so great for the Angels if it does happen.

Huge AAV overpay probability during his arbitration years while only buying out 2 years of free agency, not the smartest business move it would seem.

Angels are either gonna get screwed big time or have to overpay an insane amount if that happens.
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2014, 10:24:11 AM »

While the Angels are overpaying Trout for his arbitration years, they'll be way underpaying him in his free agent years.  By the time Trout hits free agency, assuming he continues this level of play, I think he would be a $40M per year player, so the $25M they'll be paying him is a bargain.  That difference is about the same difference in the $25M and what he would average out through arbitration (about $10M per year). 

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #122 on: February 27, 2014, 11:17:27 PM »

Baseball Prospectus released their organizational rankings, always a great read:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=22906

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #123 on: February 28, 2014, 10:17:44 AM »

Baseball Prospectus released their organizational rankings, always a great read:

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=22906

Was surprised to see the Mets in the Top 10.  Since Alderson and co. took over (4 years already), none of their 1st round picks have rated well based on their minor league performances.  To his credit, his 2 big trades (Beltran and Dickey) have yielded some nice talent (Wheeler, Syndergaard, D'Arnaud). 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #124 on: March 03, 2014, 08:36:59 PM »

We're about a week into spring training games, any youngsters on our teams of interest making in early noise good or bad?

A couple in Cards camp impressing are power hitting OF Randall Grichuk (came over in the Freese deal w/ Angels) and LHP Tim Cooney.  Grichuk could force his way onto the team as an extra man if he continues to play well.  Cooney will start in Memphis but will see STL at some point in '14 if the opportunity arises.

On the not so good, 2B Kolten Wong (generally considered the best 2B prospect in baseball) has had a rough spring thus far and may not be ready for prime time as hoped.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Mark Ellis breaks camp as the Cards starting 2B..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #125 on: March 04, 2014, 02:05:13 PM »

^ Noah Syndergaard looked good in his spring training debut yesterday, throwing 2 scoreless and dialing it up to 98 a few times.  He's projected to be an early summer call-up this season.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #126 on: March 06, 2014, 06:21:06 PM »

Per Ken Rosenthal, the Cards are on the verge of extending All Star Matt Carpenter.

Carpenter led the NL in hits, runs and doubles last year.

Numbers are around 6 years in the 50-55 mil range.

The deal buys out 2 years of FA and will take Carpenter through his age 32 season.

A good deal for both sides on the surface, Carpenter gets security and the Cards tie up a core player for his prime years.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 06:24:10 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2014, 02:55:34 PM »

Cards sign Cuban infielder Diaz

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cardinal-beat/cards-sign-cuban-infielder-diaz/article_fb69fbbe-be6f-5e54-b585-fe5bae2b0570.html

VIERA, Fla. ? It didn't happen as swiftly as both sides expected after the Cardinals had the Cuban infielder over to their complex in Jupiter, Fla., for a private workout.

But it did happen.

The Cardinals have agreed to terms on a four-year, major-league deal with shortstop Aledmys Diaz, a Cuban who defected from the country and had to wait out a years suspension before being eligible as a free agent. The team announced the deal Sunday afternoon.

The Cardinals scouted Diaz several times, and they invited him to the Roger Dean Stadium complex earlier this spring to get their coaches and front office officials a look at the 6-foot-1, 195-pound righthanded-hitting infielder.

He will report to spring training on Monday and join the team.

He is the 40th member of the team's 40-man roster.

Financial contract details were not immediately known.

Whatever the final numbers it will be the biggest contract the Cardinals have ever given to an international player, free agent or amateur.

At the time of his workout for the Cardinals, there was a sense that his market would be anywhere from $15 million to $20 million for the total value of his contract. The New York Yankees also had a private workout with Diaz and reports surfaced soon after that they would not make an offer to the infielder, who has the potential for a potent bat.

Diaz could play shortstop, second base, or third base. An NL scout said earlier this spring after seeing Diaz that his bat has the potential to play at any of the positions, and that his ability to stick at shortstop had a greater likelihood than some of the other Cuban infielders chances of being offensive threats.

Diaz, 23, hit .315 with 12 home runs in last professional season with Cuba. He has not played a game in 18 months.

Mozeliak called the signing "a significant benchmark" for the team as it looked to expand its presence in markets outside of the United States and Latin America and into what Mozeliak called "emerging markets" like Cuba and Asia.

Check back throughout the day here for updates on Diaz.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2014, 12:32:00 AM »

It looks like the Yankees are finally seeing the Pinaeda they thought they had a few years back. He has looked sharp so far this spring. The only thing is do they want to give the no.5 spot to a guy they know they have to keep on an innings limit for this season. I personally think he's earned the spot with how well he has pitched.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2014, 08:14:11 AM »

It looks like the Yankees are finally seeing the Pinaeda they thought they had a few years back. He has looked sharp so far this spring. The only thing is do they want to give the no.5 spot to a guy they know they have to keep on an innings limit for this season. I personally think he's earned the spot with how well he has pitched.
Every team needs pitching depth because injuries are inevitable. I think I can only remember one season when the Red Sox had their 5 starters avoid DL trips. So Pineada should get the nod with the full anticipation that he may spend some time on the DL this season. Yanks have a lot of potential with their starting pitching, but also filled with questions. Can CC bounce back? He's older, but lighter. Will Kuroda regress? He's been their most consistent pitcher the last few years, but he's pushing 40. Tanaka. Is he the real deal. Is he Darvish? Dice K? Somewhere in between? Can Nova show some consistency? If all those are answered affirmatively they'll be a definite factor. If not, it could be another long season. I think they'll be a better team than last year, but not good enough to make the playoffs. I still think the Sox and Rays are better than them. I expect a bit of regression for Boston. They will miss Ellsbury. Jackie Bradley Jr. still doesn't look ready. Grady Sizemore does, but even if he's healthy (a big if), he can't be counted on to play every day after missing the last 2 years. I think Tampa is the best team in the division. Great pitching, decent offense. Their bullpen should be improved. They're my pick to win the division. Once again though, there's not a weak team in the bunch.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:15:53 AM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2014, 05:52:28 PM »

We'll see, he's looked very good so far he's k'd 14 batters. If he does end up on the DL or on some kinda limit the Yankees do have other options for that fifth starter. CC its just a matter of how well he can transition from power pitcher to control pitcher. I am concerned about Kuroda he hasn't had a good spring. I am less concerned about Nova after today. He had his best outing 6.1 innings only 2 hits allowed.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2014, 07:51:35 PM »

I've been keeping tabs on Pinaeda's progress this spring in hopes he could finally prove my 2 year old proclamation of the Yanks fleecing the M's in that deal correct.

So far so good, Pinaeda's looked healthy and Montero still can't play defense or hit a breaking ball to save his life and has been optioned back to minor league camp. 

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2014, 08:52:15 PM »

I've been keeping tabs on Pinaeda's progress this spring in hopes he could finally prove my 2 year old proclamation of the Yanks fleecing the M's in that deal correct.

So far so good, Pinaeda's looked healthy and Montero still can't play defense or hit a breaking ball to save his life and has been optioned back to minor league camp. 

The Yankees have to very encouraged by what they've seen so far. Yesterday he was very very good. It is just a matter of what can he give us this season. He is still coming off of major surgery so you don't wanna push it. If he gets through this year without any issues next year he should have no restrictions and be a major part of the rotation.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »

It's official, Pinaeda is the fifth starter and he earned it.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2014, 07:35:45 PM »

Alright guys, time for the annual picks:

NL EAST - Nationals
NL CENTRAL - Cards
NL WEST - Dodgers

AL EAST - Rays
AL CENTRAL - Tigers
AL WEST - A's

NL WILD CARDS - Giants, Braves
AL WILD CARDS - Yanks, Red Sox

NL CHAMPS - Nationals
AL CHAMPS - A's

WORLD SERIES CHAMPS - Nationals

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2014, 08:58:04 PM »

Nats for champs? That's pretty bold after the down year they had last year.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2014, 10:33:15 PM »

Nats for champs? That's pretty bold after the down year they had last year.

I like their pitching and pitching plays in the post season.

Not really that bold considering the Red Sox and how they were in 2012 and their run to a championship last year.

Of course, it could all go straight to hell if Gonzalez and Strasburg go down...

Putting all homerism aside, I damn near went with the Cards - they're loaded and have a shot to bulldoze the NL.

Just not sure how the new parts will fit, a lot of roster churn and youngsters that will have to play as well as they did last year.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #137 on: March 26, 2014, 01:45:26 PM »

NL EAST - Braves
NL CENTRAL - Cards
NL WEST - Dodgers

AL EAST - Red Sox
AL CENTRAL - Tigers
AL WEST - Angels

NL WILD CARDS - Nats, Rockies
AL WILD CARDS - Yanks, A's

NL CHAMPS - Braves
AL CHAMPS - Yanks

I think the AL east race could be VERY tight.  Yanks have a lot of question marks...but I think they'll work themselves out by the end of the season.  I actually think they're a better team than they were last year....but we'll see.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2014, 04:06:36 PM »

SI's baseball preview out today, same WS prediction as mine

Yikes.

NL CHAMPS - Nationals
AL CHAMPS - A's

« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:26:34 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #139 on: March 27, 2014, 07:29:33 AM »

SI's baseball preview out today, same WS prediction as mine

Yikes.

NL CHAMPS - Nationals
AL CHAMPS - A's

You know you're screwed, now, right?  The SI curse still runs strong.....

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: