Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 12:41:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 138181 times)
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #140 on: March 27, 2014, 10:09:29 AM »

NL EAST - Braves
NL CENTRAL - Cards
NL WEST - Dodgers

AL EAST - Rays
AL CENTRAL - Tigers
AL WEST - A's

NL WILD CARDS - Pirates, Mets
AL WILD CARDS - Red Sox, Angels

NL CHAMPS - Braves
AL CHAMPS - A's

WS CHAMPS - Braves
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #141 on: March 27, 2014, 07:01:53 PM »

Breaking news out of Detroit. The Tigers and Miguel Cabrerra have agreed to an extension. Its reportedly 8 years and 248 million.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #142 on: March 27, 2014, 07:29:16 PM »

SI's baseball preview out today, same WS prediction as mine

Yikes.

NL CHAMPS - Nationals
AL CHAMPS - A's

WORLD SERIES CHAMPS - Nationals

You know you're screwed, now, right?  The SI curse still runs strong.....

No question about that whatsoever, screwed indeed.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »

Breaking news out of Detroit. The Tigers and Miguel Cabrerra have agreed to an extension. Its reportedly 8 years and 248 million.

Total deal along with what he's already owed is sounding like 10 years at 292 per the twitter.

Oh to be Mike Trout. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2014, 08:03:04 PM »

Holy shit, per Heyman:

"cabrera commitment could reach $352M. there are 2 vesting options, in yrs 11 and 12, at $30M each. #tigers"

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2014, 08:20:55 PM »

Who holds the key to those options?
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2014, 08:25:01 PM »

Somewhere Mike Trout is smiling lol.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2014, 09:02:17 PM »

They're "vesting" options so I assume it's based on AB's/games played/performance etc.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2014, 09:08:17 PM »

Forbes release it's franchise valuations for 2014 yesterday, interesting stuff.

http://www.forbes.com/mlb-valuations/

Yanks most valuable, Cards most profitable.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2014, 09:17:15 PM »

They're "vesting" options so I assume it's based on AB's/games played/performance etc.

Ahh ok, i could definitely see those options happening.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2014, 02:50:16 PM »

This is a helluva read (watch the vid too) - an inside look by all involved at the obstruction call that ended Game 3 of last years Word Series

Fascinating stuff.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10647034/mlb-2013-world-series-obstruction-call

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2014, 04:28:20 PM »

MLB/MLBPA are about to announce major changes to the JDA. A first offense now will be 80 games. Violate it a second time and your gone a season. The third time you're still gone forever. There will also now be a 25 game ban for inadvertent use. Also, players are not paid for difference between 183 day season or 162 game season. They will also now be ineligible for playoff play and will not get their playoff share. A suspended player will now be subject to 6 additional urine tests a year and 3 additional blood tests. Carbon isotope Ratio mass spectrometry will be performed on at least one specimen per player.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 04:34:19 PM by Timothy25 » Logged
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #152 on: March 28, 2014, 10:29:45 PM »

Sounds like Trout's getting 140+ over 6.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/28/report-angels-and-mike-trout-close-to-agreement-on-contract-extension/

I can't even begin to fathom what he'll get when this deal expires - when he's only 28.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #153 on: March 28, 2014, 10:38:41 PM »

Sounds like Trout's getting 140+ over 6.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/28/report-angels-and-mike-trout-close-to-agreement-on-contract-extension/

I can't even begin to fathom what he'll get when this deal expires - when he's only 28.

No kidding. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes the deal Cabrera just signed look like chunk change.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2014, 06:18:45 PM »

Mets and Red Sox both lose. Will go 0-162. They should both shut down and trade away everything.  rofl

Seriously, watching the post games on sny and nesn, you'd actually think the above was true, and not hyperbole.  Hey guys, it's ONE game!

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2014, 08:47:07 PM »

And boston nearly came back in the 9th!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2014, 11:45:47 PM »

Mets and Red Sox both lose. Will go 0-162. They should both shut down and trade away everything.  rofl

Seriously, watching the post games on sny and nesn, you'd actually think the above was true, and not hyperbole.  Hey guys, it's ONE game!
Sox just couldn't get the clutch hits when they needed them today.  Baltimore looks like they'll have a solid team again.  Good lineup, but the questions begin and end with their pitching as always.  And I have my doubts it'll be good enough.  Again, they have a bunch of #3 starters on their staff, no true ace.  Their bullpen was pretty good today, but on paper it scares no one.  So we'll see how it plays out.

Red Sox look pretty solid on paper.  They will miss Ellsbury out of the leadoff spot.  Their overall team speed will obviously take a big hit.  If he can stay healthy, big IF, Sizemore can fill in admirably but they're taking it slow with him at the start.  Overall their lineup looks pretty solid again, even without Jacoby.  Bogaerts looks so poised in the box, far more mature than his age.  On the flipside, Will Middlebrooks is frustrating for me to watch.  He's got talent, and legit power.  But his overall approach is lacking, and his defense leaves a lot to be desired. 

The Blue Jays off to another disappointing start with Reyes already landing himself back on the DL.  Bad move, for a guy with chronic hamstring and leg issues going to a team that plays of turf

I think the Rays will outlast the rest of the teams in the AL East this year.  They're always there, and they seem to be well balanced.  Pitching is always good, bullpen should be better, and offense is better than it has been in the past. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 11:47:30 PM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2014, 08:34:44 AM »

Sox just couldn't get the clutch hits when they needed them today.  Baltimore looks like they'll have a solid team again.  Good lineup, but the questions begin and end with their pitching as always.  And I have my doubts it'll be good enough.  Again, they have a bunch of #3 starters on their staff, no true ace.  Their bullpen was pretty good today, but on paper it scares no one.  So we'll see how it plays out.

Red Sox look pretty solid on paper.  They will miss Ellsbury out of the leadoff spot.  Their overall team speed will obviously take a big hit.  If he can stay healthy, big IF, Sizemore can fill in admirably but they're taking it slow with him at the start.  Overall their lineup looks pretty solid again, even without Jacoby.  Bogaerts looks so poised in the box, far more mature than his age.  On the flipside, Will Middlebrooks is frustrating for me to watch.  He's got talent, and legit power.  But his overall approach is lacking, and his defense leaves a lot to be desired. 

The Blue Jays off to another disappointing start with Reyes already landing himself back on the DL.  Bad move, for a guy with chronic hamstring and leg issues going to a team that plays of turf

I think the Rays will outlast the rest of the teams in the AL East this year.  They're always there, and they seem to be well balanced.  Pitching is always good, bullpen should be better, and offense is better than it has been in the past. 

I expect the sox to be very good this year.

I just think it was funny the level of panicked outrage that was going on during the pieces of post game coverage I watched for both teams.

Just like the whole "cubs have lost 10 straight opening day games" thing has gotten mentions. It's one game of 162.  No team is going to lose (or win) them all...

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #158 on: April 01, 2014, 09:58:35 AM »

Losing games that you're winning in the 9th inning will always trigger all sorts of existential hysteria.  That aside, I thought the team looked pretty solid, other than the bullpen in the late innings.  And it was nice to see Bryce Harper get kicked in the head when he went in too hard to break up a double play. 
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2014, 07:37:21 PM »

It's only one inning but not liking what i'm seeing from Sabathia so far. He's still trying to be that power pitcher with fastball topping 89. Hey thick head you can't challenge hitters at this level with an 89 mph fastball they'll pulverize it every time!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: