Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 04:20:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 138188 times)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #180 on: April 23, 2014, 08:12:00 PM »

The tale of 2 Michael's tonight.

Wacha has 9 K's through 3 innings against the Mets. yes

Pineda gets tossed for pine tar on his neck after getting away with pine tar on his wrist a start or 2 ago. rofl

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #181 on: April 23, 2014, 08:51:26 PM »

Pineda gets tossed for pine tar on his neck after getting away with pine tar on his wrist a start or 2 ago. rofl

On a cold night like tonight when its hard to grip the ball i have no issue with pitches using a little. He was just too obvious with it. I'm sure if you were to thoroughly check every pitcher you'd find something more often then not. Its clear Boston pitchers last year were seen using substances as well.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2014, 09:06:10 PM »

He was just too obvious with it.

Indeed.

Especially after all the stink the wrist incident caused, you'd think he'd have sense enough to at least try to disguise it.

Very well could get a 10 game suspension ta boot....

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2014, 09:33:48 PM »

He was just too obvious with it.

Indeed.

Especially after all the stink the wrist incident caused, you'd think he'd have sense enough to at least try to disguise it.

Very well could get a 10 game suspension ta boot....

Yeah, earlier they were reporting there's an automatic 10 games suspension but it now appears that part of the rule only applies to the minors. At the Major League level they are permitted to give whatever they deem suitable. In recent years two other players ejected for substances were given 10 and 8 games respectively. I'm sure we'll find out tomorrow and i am positive he's going to miss a start at the very least.

Looks like the Mets have gotten to your team again tonight Falcon even after striking out the first 7. Good job by the Mets.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #184 on: April 23, 2014, 10:40:39 PM »

Looks like the Mets have gotten to your team again tonight Falcon even after striking out the first 7. Good job by the Mets.

Yep, Cards 9th inning rally fell short damn it.

They're a bit weary it seems, 17 outta the first 23 on the road and at the tale end of an 11 game trip.

Day game after a night game tomorrow then back to STL.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #185 on: April 24, 2014, 12:02:21 AM »

It was an exciting game though. Almost completed that comeback but a terrific put out at the plate preserved the win for the Mets. At first i thought he was safe and they'd overturn it but the replay clearly showed he got him on the back just before he touched home.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #186 on: April 24, 2014, 12:13:35 AM »

On a cold night like tonight when its hard to grip the ball i have no issue with pitches using a little. He was just too obvious with it. I'm sure if you were to thoroughly check every pitcher you'd find something more often then not. Its clear Boston pitchers last year were seen using substances as well.
Everyone knows pitchers use some substances to help them get a better grip on the ball and such, but they at least try to be a little discreet about it.  Pineda must've thought he was above the law or something.  How could he possibly think he'd get away with that after what happened 2 starts ago.  He had to have known all eyes were going to be on him.  It would've been hard for him to sneak anything by all the cameras pointed at him.  But he didn't even try.  He blatantly slapped that stuff on his neck.  He should get suspended for at least 10 games for being an idiot first and foremost. 

I'm sure the Yankees will be keeping a close eye on Boston's pitchers from here on out.  I hope they're "smart" about doing whatever it is they might do.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #187 on: April 24, 2014, 12:59:00 AM »

Yes on his neck definitely was not his brightest idea at all. Its like he had to think quick of where to put it cause he had to get back out there so quick and put it first place that came to mind. I don't know if he'll get 10 games but there's no doubt he will not make his next scheduled start. If they try they better be more sneaky cause you know Girardi will be looking for something to get back at Farrell for it even though he admitted Pinaeda got what he deserved after the game.
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #188 on: April 24, 2014, 09:11:55 AM »

10 or 8 or 5...he really only misses one start. And has another pushed back a day or so....depending on how quickly MLB levies it.

He was stupid, that's for sure.

Use the belt, or the hairline, or the hair goop (bucholz fav).  But...the neck? Jeesh. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

I mean, Farrell had to check, it was so obvious.  And now you'll see Lester and bucholz checked a bunch of times over the rest of the season series...even in mid summer when they are unlikely to be using it.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #189 on: April 24, 2014, 10:20:30 AM »

Yep, Cards 9th inning rally fell short damn it.

They're a bit weary it seems, 17 outta the first 23 on the road and at the tale end of an 11 game trip.

Day game after a night game tomorrow then back to STL.

That was a nice game last night, good series all around.  Weird outing by Wacha, 10Ks in 4 innings, but all those walks... 

I'm looking forward to the Mets hitting the road again, they just don't hit at Citifield at all (though Duda hit a nice bomb last night). 
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #190 on: April 24, 2014, 10:25:41 AM »

On the pine tar issue, don't you think it should be either enforced or not?  I don't get the whole, 'everyone does it, just don't get caught' approach.  Either enforce the ban it or allow it, no?  My take, if everyone does it and the only real advantage is to improve the pitcher's grip, then let em do it. 
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #191 on: April 24, 2014, 12:42:40 PM »

...though Duda hit a nice bomb last night). 

That ball hasn't landed yet, it just passed me - in Tulsa. Wink

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #192 on: April 24, 2014, 03:16:22 PM »

On the pine tar issue, don't you think it should be either enforced or not?  I don't get the whole, 'everyone does it, just don't get caught' approach.  Either enforce the ban it or allow it, no?  My take, if everyone does it and the only real advantage is to improve the pitcher's grip, then let em do it. 

I agree.

But the rule is the rule. And managers don't mind turning a blind eye if it's not obvious. But once it is...you force their hand. Because f they ignore it, they get skewered by the media (like pinaeda's last start).

What he did was stupid. Because it was so obvious, esp after the last start being "caught".  The 10 games he got today....one start...is like the idiot penalty.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #193 on: April 24, 2014, 03:27:12 PM »

I agree.

But the rule is the rule. And managers don't mind turning a blind eye if it's not obvious. But once it is...you force their hand. Because f they ignore it, they get skewered by the media (like pinaeda's last start).

What he did was stupid. Because it was so obvious, esp after the last start being "caught".  The 10 games he got today....one start...is like the idiot penalty.

Certainly agree he was pretty stupid about it. 

If it were to be allowed, I heard an interesting idea that suggested the pitcher can have a 'pine tar towel' near the mound just like there's a rosin bag near the mound.  He can use the rosin bag for sweaty hands (as currently permitted) and the pine tar towel for cold, dry hands.  If it's something in plain view of everyone, maybe that can control cases where pitchers are putting obscene amounts of crap on the ball that maybe would create an unfair advantage. 

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #194 on: April 24, 2014, 04:19:38 PM »

...though Duda hit a nice bomb last night). 

That ball hasn't landed yet, it just passed me - in Tulsa. Wink

Falcon, allow me the indulgence of savoring the Mets taking the series with today's 4-1 win.  First time Mets have taken a series against the Cards in 2 years! 

And now we're at our 4th closer!  Dice-K the save with the 1-2-3 ninth.   ok   nervous
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #195 on: April 24, 2014, 05:10:36 PM »

Personally i say allow it. The batters use it to keep the bats from flying all over the place. So let the pitchers use it to keep the ball from nailing someone in the head. Just look at how wild he was in the 1st inning last night. I think hitters would be fine with it to help keep a pitcher from being that wild.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2014, 05:13:10 PM »

On a bit of another note, i have to take a minute to laugh at the Ian O'Connor article on ESPN about this claiming this ruins the Yankees season. Yeah casue Pinaeda missing one start in April dooms them.  Roll Eyes
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #197 on: April 24, 2014, 05:55:32 PM »

Falcon, allow me the indulgence of savoring the Mets taking the series with today's 4-1 win.  First time Mets have taken a series against the Cards in 2 years! 

Savor at will George, they played well.

I had no idea about the 2 year series streak - wow. Shocked

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #198 on: April 24, 2014, 06:03:29 PM »

The Mets are pitching very well right now. Their bigger issue is scoring run especially at citifield.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #199 on: April 24, 2014, 07:02:33 PM »

On a bit of another note, i have to take a minute to laugh at the Ian O'Connor article on ESPN about this claiming this ruins the Yankees season. Yeah casue Pinaeda missing one start in April dooms them.  Roll Eyes
Articles are meant to get people talking. That's an extreme view. I doubt it'll happen. But it could. Nova is out for the season so they have to deal with that. I don't know Pineda, but you have to wonder how he'll react to all this. If he's fragile, this could get in his head. I don't think the pine tar made him a good pitcher, but let's say he goes out next time without it and gets roughed up. That could have a negative long term effect on a guy who was off to a promising start.

My personal belief is, he had the balls to be so blatant about the pine tar that maybe this whole thing won't phase him one bit. We'll see though. Clay Buchholz is a little fragile, so many thought he'd struggle after Jack Morris called him out last year. He was fine. He's not now, but he was fine dealing with the scrutiny. Guys handle these things differently. If Pineda folds and ruins the Yankees season it'd be surprising but I've seen stranger things.

Of course they could come out today and win 11-2 and rally around this incident. You never know.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: