Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 07:02:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Fun N' Games
| | |-+  2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2014 Baseball season/Off Season Discussion  (Read 138183 times)
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #240 on: May 31, 2014, 05:46:16 PM »

The Oscar Taveras era begins in STL tomorrow, the 21 year old has been called up tonight by the Cards. Cool

And Taveras goes deep for his first hit in his 2nd big league at bat.

And it's a fucking bomb. Cool

Watch here:

http://m.cardinals.mlb.com/stl/video/v33325603/sfstl-taveras-launches-a-solo-shot-for-first-hit/?partnerId=as_mlb_20140531_25072366

Remind ya of another rookie that homered in his first at bat in 96?

I give Tim, who ya got?

It was Derek Jeter. It wasn't his first game in the majors he played a few in 95, but 96 was his rookie year and hit a home run opening day. I'm pretty sure it was in his first at bat.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #241 on: May 31, 2014, 05:46:56 PM »

Has anyone been following the Ortiz/David Price  back and forth from last night and today?

Awesome stuff.

Emotional reaction from Ortiz last night was entertaining as hell but Price just absolutely (an quite intelligently) verbally KO'd Ortiz today.

Check out @ken_rosenthal for the quotes from Price - damn.

I must be missing something.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #242 on: May 31, 2014, 05:50:47 PM »

Well after today Tanaka is now 8-1 with an era of 2.06. Allowing only 18 earned runs, 88 strikeouts and a 0.96 WHIP.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #243 on: May 31, 2014, 05:59:59 PM »

Has anyone been following the Ortiz/David Price  back and forth from last night and today?

Awesome stuff.

Emotional reaction from Ortiz last night was entertaining as hell but Price just absolutely (an quite intelligently) verbally KO'd Ortiz today.

Another Sox/Rays dust up last night, Price drilled Ortiz (and someone else) and Ortiz was pissy (and rightfully so) but played the "this is war" card and called Price "a little bitch" and "a little girl" afterward.

Price was questioned about it last night, played it to cool and moved on.

Was told of Ortiz's comments today and succinctly dropped him like a bad habit.

From Price:

"You can't equate the game we play to a war. Kellen Winslow said he's a soldier. No, he's not. This is not a war...not a good comparison."

"He was mad. I get it. You say stupid stuff when you're mad. I'm sure he probably wishes he didn't say some of things he said..."

"Nobody's bigger than the game of baseball. You ask pitchers from 10-15-20 years ago. That's normal. Part of the game."

"For as many people as I quote-unquote lost respect from, I gained respect from a lot more. I know that's a fact."
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 08:34:10 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #244 on: May 31, 2014, 06:08:27 PM »

It was Derek Jeter. It wasn't his first game in the majors he played a few in 95, but 96 was his rookie year and hit a home run opening day. I'm pretty sure it was in his first at bat.

Jeter already had 2 stints with the Yanks in '95 and about 50 big league AB's, correct?

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #245 on: May 31, 2014, 06:49:29 PM »

Jeter already had 2 stints with the Yanks in '95 and about 50 big league AB's, correct?

He did play a bit in 95. I don't know how many at bat's though.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #246 on: May 31, 2014, 07:45:16 PM »

Just checked Baseball Reference, 51 plate appearances and 15 games in ''95.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #247 on: May 31, 2014, 07:49:35 PM »

That was a helluva guess you made then.
tim_m
Legend

« Reply #248 on: May 31, 2014, 07:50:47 PM »

Some bit more of bad news for the Yankees today though. Pinaeda's next rehab start has been scratched after an MRI showed inflammation in his upper back. So it looks like we won't have him or Sabathia until after the break.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #249 on: May 31, 2014, 07:55:50 PM »

There's been so many Jeter facts making the rounds since he announced his retirement I think I've picked up some by osmosis. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #250 on: May 31, 2014, 08:00:06 PM »

There's been so many Jeter facts making the rounds since he announced his retirement I think I've picked up some by osmosis. yes
Hahaha
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #251 on: May 31, 2014, 08:12:55 PM »

The date was April 2, 1996.  Opening Day in Cleveland.  but it wasn't his first at bat.  it was the fifth inning off Dennis Martinez. 

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #252 on: May 31, 2014, 08:13:52 PM »

I remember seeing Taveras in person as a  thin 19 year old here in Tulsa playing for Springfield 2 years ago, (Cards AA affiliate) same swing but dude has definitely filled out.

The load and extension was the same but he has definitely grown into his 6'2" frame....

http://i.imgur.com/UxCmlcJ.gif

6 kids from that Springfield team have all graduated and are contributing significantly to STL.

Taveras, Trevor Rosenthal, Michael Wacha, Carlos Martinez, Kolten Wong and Kevin Siegrest.

Pretty cool. Cool

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

tim_m
Legend

« Reply #253 on: June 01, 2014, 02:17:36 AM »

The date was April 2, 1996.  Opening Day in Cleveland.  but it wasn't his first at bat.  it was the fifth inning off Dennis Martinez. 

Oh ok Smiley I couldn't remember when it actually happened.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #254 on: June 01, 2014, 04:28:42 PM »

Awesome stuff.

Another Sox/Rays dust up last night, Price drilled Ortiz (and someone else) and Ortiz was pissy (and rightfully so) but played the "this is war" card and called Price "a little bitch" and "a little girl" afterward.

Price was questioned about it last night, played it to cool and moved on.

Was told of Ortiz's comments today and succinctly dropped him like a bad habit.

From Price:

"You can't equate the game we play to a war. Kellen Winslow said he's a soldier. No, he's not. This is not a war...not a good comparison."

"He was mad. I get it. You say stupid stuff when you're mad. I'm sure he probably wishes he didn't say some of things he said..."

"Nobody's bigger than the game of baseball. You ask pitchers from 10-15-20 years ago. That's normal. Part of the game."

"For as many people as I quote-unquote lost respect from, I gained respect from a lot more. I know that's a fact."
I have a different opinion on the matter, not surprisingly.  Price is full of shit.  He exclaimed after the fact that hitting Ortiz was accidental and had nothing to do with him taking him deep 2 times in game 2 of the LCS last year.  Then the next day he talks about how Ortiz disrespects the game by standing and admiring HR's.  The very thing he did after his second bomb off Price in game 2.  He stood at home plate to see if the ball would stay fair or not.  It did, and he took his sweet time rounding the bases.  So if he didn't hit Ortiz on purpose for pimping that HR, and many others, then why mention it the next day?

And enough with the, "this is not war, this is just a game" copout.  Obviously Ortiz and the countless others who say "this means war" aren't really equating what happens on the playing field to guys literally killing each other on the battlefield.  It's an expression that's been used for god knows how long.  Price is trying to sound humble and like he's this innocent guy in the whole matter, when he clearly hit Ortiz on purpose that started all the trouble.  Then he hits Carp later in the game and still doesn't get thrown out, and he wonders why David would be mad.  Give it a rest!  No one is buying your bullshit.  At least I'm not.  Way to stick up for your teammates, who you're not even going to be playing with next season when you go to the highest bidder.  I'm sure they'll really appreciate it then.

And if we're keeping score, Ortiz dropped Price like a bad habit first.  He exclaimed how Price acted like a little bitch last year when they roughed him up in the playoffs, complaining to the media, on twitter, and to anyone who wanted to listen.  He then called Ortiz to apologize personally because he knew he was wrong.  So Ortiz said he no longer has any respect for him after pretty much going against his word the other night.  So Price is simply following suit by saying he no longer wants anything to do with Ortiz.  It's already been established buddy.  Don't you worry.  You're off the Christmas card list.  Now go act all high and mighty to someone who cares.  I'm sure all the 100's of Rays fans appreciate it a bunch.  ok
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 04:37:19 PM by faldor » Logged

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #255 on: June 02, 2014, 01:40:11 PM »

I have a different opinion on the matter, not surprisingly. 

Understood faldor, and no - not surprising. Smiley

The Red Sox colored glasses were expected. Wink

But outside looking in, Price flat out KO'd Ortiz in the court of public opinion - kept cool and didn't admit to a thing the night of and not responding to Ortiz's post game interview until the next day.

It's fun either way, baseball theatre at it's finest.

As unwarranted as it was, I flat out loved the Sox getting bent when the Rays stole 3rd last week and Gomes going all Gomes and equally enjoyed Joe Madden's citing Ellsbury doing the same up 6 last year in the playoffs.

Fun stuff all around. yes

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #256 on: June 02, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »

Few things in sports more pathetic IMO than pitchers hitting batters who have hit bombs off of them.  If Price is correct in saying that he's gained respect for doing that, then it's just a poor reflection of MLB and its players in general.

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #257 on: June 02, 2014, 03:40:13 PM »

Few things in sports more pathetic IMO than pitchers hitting batters who have hit bombs off of them.  If Price is correct in saying that he's gained respect for doing that, then it's just a poor reflection of MLB and its players in general.

I have no doubt Price gained respect, not only in his clubhouse but around the league and from former players as well.

From Mark Mulder's twitter:

"Mark Mulder @markmulder20     ?   May 31   
New favorite player---> David Price.  Just heard interview he did today."

An educated guess would lead me to believe Price drilling Ortiz (and Carp) wasn't just in retaliation for any dinger(s) he'd given up, there's a lot of bad blood between those 2 teams in general.

Here's Gomes today with Casey Stern and Jim Bowden, interesting insight:

https://soundcloud.com/mlbnetworkradio/jonny-gomes-red-sox-of-reacts-to-the-price-ortiz-feud-on-mlb-network-radio-on-siriusxm?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:46:16 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

GeorgeSteele
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #258 on: June 02, 2014, 05:46:43 PM »

I have no doubt Price gained respect, not only in his clubhouse but around the league and from former players as well.

From Mark Mulder's twitter:

"Mark Mulder @markmulder20     ?   May 31   
New favorite player---> David Price.  Just heard interview he did today."

An educated guess would lead me to believe Price drilling Ortiz (and Carp) wasn't just in retaliation for any dinger(s) he'd given up, there's a lot of bad blood between those 2 teams in general.

Here's Gomes today with Casey Stern and Jim Bowden, interesting insight:

https://soundcloud.com/mlbnetworkradio/jonny-gomes-red-sox-of-reacts-to-the-price-ortiz-feud-on-mlb-network-radio-on-siriusxm?utm_source=soundcloud&utm_campaign=share&utm_medium=twitter

It doesn't surprise me that he did get respect, but I just don't share that perspective.  Call me crazy, but I would think respect is earned in a situation like this by going up and consistently getting Ortiz's fat ass out.  I guess Price feels he's unable do that though, so he went route where you get to physically injure a defenseless opponent that is better than you and then hide behind the rest of your team and various MLB fine/suspension rules that protect him from getting his ass rightfully kicked. 

I'm not a huge fan of Jonny Gomes, but I think he nailed it with his comments --- when there's bad blood like that, the best you can do is go out there and sweep them, which the Sox did.  How do the Rays respond to that next series?  Pulling off a sweep of their own or repeating more of the same BS clown act?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #259 on: June 02, 2014, 06:47:42 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of Jonny Gomes...

Me either, he's a great interview but an A-1 jackass.

When he was a Red a few years back, they received the news of Adam Wainwright's blown out elbow in the Reds clubhouse and he was heard/seen around the by an MLB beat reporter singing/dancing reveling in Waino's injury.

Beyond Gomes' douchebaggery...

I personally don't mind a bit of frontier justice, I don't want anyone injured but I do enjoy the (over)reactions that occur when someone's perceived lack of game decorum is in question.

For me, (whether anything happens or not) the anticipation of retaliation is a kick, adds to the drama of the game.

George, you must've hated the Cards/Mets rivalry in the 80's. 

I have never seen teams despise one another (it made Yanks/Red Sox and Giants/Dodgers look like family reunions) more than those two. 

Intentional HBP's, late slides, gamesmanship and benches clearing shenanigans, my absolute favorite rivalry to this day.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:49:43 PM by Falcon » Logged

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: