Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 05:36:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  is this a good deal on this Marshall?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: is this a good deal on this Marshall?  (Read 10612 times)
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« on: March 18, 2005, 12:19:14 AM »

Features:
The Marshall sound in a compact practice/backstage amp
Delivers a dynamic yet toneful punch
30W
10" speaker
2 channels
Digital effects including reverb, delay, chorus, and flange
FDD (Frequency Dependent Dampening)
CD ins, plus emulated line out, and emulated headphone jack*****

i can get it for 175 bucks

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
darkmonth
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 04:57:54 AM »

Meh.  I wouldn't recommend them.  Well, as in... since you have already owned some amps before.

Sure as a first amp... fine.  But it's basically a Park G30 and I don't think it's worth you getting it.  Save double the money and look for an AVT or even about 400 bucks and get a DSL50 Combo (used).  The DSL is a massively popular all valve marshall.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 07:23:27 AM »

I don't know, play it and find out? ?ok
If you've got 175 to burn ya might aswell get it? Wink
What's it called, I can't read it in the picture? Huh

Quote from: MCT
Quote from: D
how much difference is there in GMT to easter time?

Let me think here........is easter time anything like Christmas time?.........
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 08:07:46 AM »

That amp is highly NOT recommended. If u want to use it as foot stool however, please feel free to buy it...

Fuck 'Em All.
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 08:52:45 AM »

What does everyone think of the 100W twin-speaker version of that amp?

I have seen it advertised pretty cheap (from new) and haven't had a chance to try it yet. I used that one that D found a few years ago, didn't think it was that bad for a practice amp etc. I actually thought the tone was half decent for all the size of it. I'm looking for something around the 100W mark in anticipation for my band to start gigging within the next few weeks. Really all I need is something with enough volume - the built in effects gimmicks in this amp are a "bonus" as I already have access of these through pedals.

Bearing in mind that I can't afford an all-tube set up, I don't have the expertise nor patience required to properly maintain an all-tube amp, and the fact that (really) no one other than guitar geeks will be able to tell the difference between a solid-state and all-tube tone anyway, The 100W version of the Marshall at the top of this thread entered my sights. What are your thoughts?

If you think this line of Marshall amps sucks, why? And would the valvestate AVT series be any better?

Cheers

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
IzzyDutch
VIP

Here Today... Fuck The Hell

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 11:36:35 AM »

I have the Marshall G30R CD amp and I love it... it's really versatile and it gives me the Izzy sound I'm looking for
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 03:29:52 PM »

thanks guys, i shall hold off on this! ok

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 03:36:00 PM »

D, change your avatar, please. It's freakin' me out? Undecided

smoking Izzy? smoking

darkmonth
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 06:18:47 PM »

Bearing in mind that I can't afford an all-tube set up, I don't have the expertise nor patience required to properly maintain an all-tube amp,

Tube amps are no more hard to 'set up' or maintain than solid amps... fact is, every couple of years or so, you take it to a shop and have them replace the tubes (if it sounds like it needs it).

and the fact that (really) no one other than guitar geeks will be able to tell the difference between a solid-state and all-tube tone anyway,

Utter crap.? Anyone with ears can tell the difference.? mate... wait til you own one and people... normal people in clubs, come up to you saying what awesome guitar sounds you have.? Honestly, it will make it worthwhile Cheesy
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2005, 01:30:13 AM »

As long as you're not deaf you can tell the difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp... especially live. Trust me! SS and modeling amps make great toys and cool for making demos or whatever, but they just don't cut it with a band. They sound less musical and more harsh. Not to mention there's a certain amount of feel that I've never experienced in anything but tube amps. It's true that tube amps do require a bit more maintenance but it's not rocket science either. Depending on how much you play you may need to get new power tubes every couple of years and have the amp baised. Pre amp tubes can last a long time. People are still using pre amp tubes from the late 60's in their amps today. Save your money and get a decent used tube amp because in the end you're going to spend a lot of money on stuff that doesn't sound good and end up buying a tube amp anyway. Just cut to the chase. Save some money, do some research and buy a tube amp that suits your needs.
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 06:57:31 PM »

As long as you're not deaf you can tell the difference between a tube amp and a solid state amp... especially live. Trust me! SS and modeling amps make great toys and cool for making demos or whatever, but they just don't cut it with a band. They sound less musical and more harsh. Not to mention there's a certain amount of feel that I've never experienced in anything but tube amps. It's true that tube amps do require a bit more maintenance but it's not rocket science either. Depending on how much you play you may need to get new power tubes every couple of years and have the amp baised. Pre amp tubes can last a long time. People are still using pre amp tubes from the late 60's in their amps today. Save your money and get a decent used tube amp because in the end you're going to spend a lot of money on stuff that doesn't sound good and end up buying a tube amp anyway. Just cut to the chase. Save some money, do some research and buy a tube amp that suits your needs.

Exactly. D, save up about 500 bucks and go for a good tube amp. I spent about 600 for a '86 JCM800 and it ownes.
BP
Rocker

Every time i think i'm out, they pull me back in

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 10:51:35 PM »

Exactly + 3  nicely said

no need to get an amp because of a name either. Peavey builds amps better than Marshall nowadays quality wise...  hope that changes

but I'd be more than happy with a Peavey Classic 30 All Tube ...  Anyday ! I know a place that will ship to your house for $429 New.  Satriani has even praised this bugger -  It's a step down from the best (going onto $1500 IMO.)

or get the used DSL or TSL etc etc.... blah blah. & throw away & send back your pedals.  Enuff talk & get off your ass  Grin

-bp

electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2005, 04:59:20 AM »

Well peavy never put out anything as good as a 80's marshall. Nowadays marshall sucks, and they cant put out anthing close enought o match the vintage amps they were building during the 70's and 80's. I have yet to hear the mode four, but i havent heard a thing about it either.
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2005, 08:25:22 AM »

OK, well I've seen a few used DSL's on eBay (I'd prefer a TSL but beggars can't be choosers), so I may eventually go for something like that... holding off for now, but definitely going to try and get a test drive on one of these things sometime soon and see what it's like.

Some of the harmony central reviews don't inspire me with confidence with regards to Marshall's workmanship however...   confused

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
BP
Rocker

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 01:02:54 PM »

Well peavy never put out anything as good as a 80's marshall. Nowadays marshall sucks, and they cant put out anthing close enought o match the vintage amps they were building during the 70's and 80's. I have yet to hear the mode four, but i havent heard a thing about it either.

isnt the mode4 basically a more powerful 2000? i'm sure there is more to it

I was thinking about getting a vintage head - hiwatt marshall even a twin reverb.  but then it would cost an arm & leg to maintain & wont be dependalbe unless you dump some $$$$ into it.

bp

darkmonth
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2005, 05:38:40 PM »

isnt the mode4 basically a more powerful 2000? i'm sure there is more to it

I was thinking about getting a vintage head - hiwatt marshall even a twin reverb.? but then it would cost an arm & leg to maintain & wont be dependalbe unless you dump some $$$$ into it.

bp

No.  The Mode4 is a 4 channel amp with NO power tubes.  It is NOT a tube amp.  It's made for high gain metalling... veeery much suited to the nu metal scene and you will find a few using it.   Don't expect Slash types to want or start using it.

And my TSL JCM2000 is fucking solid.  Reliable.  No problems.  And I beat the shit out of it dragging it to gigs and practice contstantly through the week.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2005, 06:21:58 PM »

Yes they did.  They made the 5150 II for fucks sake.  You're talking absolute rubbish.  ThHe current JCM 800 is the same as the 80's old JCM 800.  All the reissue Marshall stuff is as good if not better than the original stuff, so no Marshall doesn't suck, it's just overpriced.

And 80's amp's aren't vintage either.  When people talk about vintage marshall amps they're talking about the point to point wired Plexi's and the non-master amps from when Jim Marshall first started out.

But back to the point, in the 5150 II Peavey made the most versatile tube amp in the world, whose dirty channel was based on Eddie's modified Marshall.  Marshall then copied the idea a few years later with the DSL and TSL.

Peavey's also had the Classic 30s and 50s, the XXX and the JSX head which is more versatile than any other tube amp available.

So shutup.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
BP
Rocker

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2005, 06:51:18 PM »

Yes they did. They made the 5150 II for fucks sake. You're talking absolute rubbish. ThHe current JCM 800 is the same as the 80's old JCM 800. All the reissue Marshall stuff is as good if not better than the original stuff, so no Marshall doesn't suck, it's just overpriced.

And 80's amp's aren't vintage either. When people talk about vintage marshall amps they're talking about the point to point wired Plexi's and the non-master amps from when Jim Marshall first started out.

But back to the point, in the 5150 II Peavey made the most versatile tube amp in the world, whose dirty channel was based on Eddie's modified Marshall. Marshall then copied the idea a few years later with the DSL and TSL.

Peavey's also had the Classic 30s and 50s, the XXX and the JSX head which is more versatile than any other tube amp available.

So shutup.

ouch!? I'll back up everything u just said ....? except they were making 5150's not the II?  hihi  Alice in Chains live? a lot of shows were with 5150's & cabs. Solid amp.  OH & .. I dunno about TSL copying that but they for sure kept that amp in mind for a challenge& competition. & of course the XXX.  The peavey series right now is crushing marshall's JCM2000 series. The JSX, IMO crushes the TSL for a 3 stage amp stock hands down in build quality, $$$ for the buck, & most importantly uhhh  keeps up with it  Wink.

bp

Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2005, 07:01:55 PM »

I think the DSL and TSL series are solid modern Marshall's. There a lot of good tones in those amps. In the US they are bit expensive for what you get IMO. With the exception of the new Marshall handwired series and JCM800 reissue most Marshall reissues are not like the originals. They are good, but they are not exact clones. No vintage Marshall used PCB construction.

Even Slash didn't use modern Marshall's to record Appetite For Destruction. It was a early 70's Marshall 1959T modified by Tim Caswell into a 70's Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks. IMO Slash's best tones were on AFD.
*Izzy*
*Title*
Legend

*Here Today*

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2005, 07:04:59 PM »

I still don't understand why the DSL is better than the TSL? Huh

smoking Izzy? smoking

Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: