Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:39:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Guitar Help
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar Help  (Read 5781 times)
emanc93
Banned
Headliner

Here in hell tomorrow in.....

« on: January 17, 2007, 09:06:47 PM »

I would like to purchase a cheap, guitar just to learn how to play one. I'm looking for a very cheap one that is newbie-friendly. preferably 500$ and lower. Anyone help me out?

vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 12:39:47 AM »

A fender squire is a good guitar for people just beginning to learn, it only costs arounf $99 so if you don't stick with it you wont fell like you wasted too much money. I you want to go all the way and spend all of your $500 dollars I'd suggest going with a Schecter guitar, they're great for a lot of differet styles and they have a huge selection of different guitar models. If you want more of a metal guitar you should go with LTD/ ESP, they have  a large selection of guitars at different prices as well (although they mostly pretain to a more heavy metal sound, with the exception of a few models).
kaasupoltin
Also a "mercenary" football fan!
Legend

Chinese Democracy out 2014!

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 02:03:45 AM »

http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0321300509 or http://www.squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0310700564 maybe? Squier's are newbie-friendly, trust me. But with that money you might get an used, better, guitar. Squier is a great choice for a beginner though, if you want a new un-used guitar. Also Epiphone would be a nice choice.

BEEP.
Helsinki 07.05.2006 - Helsinki 07.06.2006 - Helsinki 06.05.2010 - H?meenlinna 07.01.2017
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 08:35:02 AM »

do a bit of research into what kinda guitars the musicians use in the music you like....not the best idea to buy a guitar with single coil pickups (Fender Squire) if all the music you like is played on guitars with humbuckers (Epiphone Les Paul)

also find an amp that you like the sound of...

what bands you like listening to maybe people can help you out in narrowing down your choices ok

Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 11:56:31 AM »

To be practicle, all you need are the basics. Doesn't have to electric.  What happens a lot of the time is people worry to much about what they sound like coming thru the amp and not worring about how well they play. If you are going to learn, I'd go to a music store and find a guitar that has a neck and action that is comfortable to your hand. Shouldn't worry about  pick-ups and stuff until you can actually play and ready to spend some money on what you want. Kind of sickening seeing someone that has an awesome guitar  and sounds like a trainwreak playing it.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 12:01:47 PM »

i only said that cuz imy first electric was a Jackson....it had 3 single coil pickups (and i listen to heavier tunes that mostly use humbuckers in their setup) and i got a cheap ass amp....needless to say i got rid of it all didnt play electric for years....my first guitar was an acoustic and i played acoustic for 10 years until i started to get into electric again...now i got an guitar and an amp that i researched before making the purchases...i'm much, much happier with the results this time around peace

emanc93
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 03:37:11 PM »

I did research and found out that I should start off with an electric guitar. I like metal and rock. I want to play music of those genres. I want to play the type of music that Guns N Roses, Mettalica, Velvet Revolver, U2 play.  Also I don't want an amp right away. I want to play with the guitar and learn a few simple songs and see if I want to continue to play. Also I heard it was a good idea to not purchase a guitar from mass media stores.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 03:56:22 PM »

i'd recommend going with a les paul style guitar, maybe the Epiphone lespaul special II,  epiphone lespaul 100 or epiphone les paul studio.

or even maybe a bc rich mockingbird?

for an amp i just gota line6 spider and its alright...lots of stuff to play around with (the footswitch even has a wah pedal) and lots of sounds and cheap cost wise.

others have different opinions of both guitars and amps though

and make sure you check out stuff and make sure you like the sound of everythign before you buy....if you cant play i'm sure someone at the shop will goof around for you to show you how it sounds....most places offer waranties...but the biggers stores may offer you cheaper prices peace

Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 04:01:30 PM »

As in Best Buy?  No, don't go there. Your mom & pop music stores to a guitar center are all fine places to go.
Thier sales people  should be able to steer you in the right direction. I like Pawn Shops & Music-Go-Round type places.
Every once and awhile you'll find a jem for cheap.

emanc93
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2007, 04:02:32 PM »

By the way I'm only 13 years old. I don't know if that changes anything...... Huh

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 04:04:14 PM »

As in Best Buy?? No, don't go there. Your mom & pop music stores to a guitar center are all fine places to go.
Thier sales people? should be able to steer you in the right direction. I like Pawn Shops & Music-Go-Round type places.
Every once and awhile you'll find a jem for cheap.

oh yeah i misunderstood you emanc93...go to a real guitar shop where people know what the fuck they are talking about...for sure...rezrover is right ok

By the way I'm only 13 years old. I don't know if that changes anything...... Huh

wow a young'un Grin thats ok....it doesnt change my suggestions at all ok

emanc93
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 04:05:59 PM »

I also live in a small town with alot of douchebags. But there is a store called Vegas Music I could check out or the west Quincy pawnshop. Probably not too much at those locales but I'll check them out.

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 04:11:23 PM »

I also live in a small town with alot of douchebags. But there is a store called Vegas Music I could check out or the west Quincy pawnshop. Probably not too much at those locales but I'll check them out.

i wouldnt recommend a pawnshop....not if you dont know much about guitars....you may end up with a lemon Undecided

is Vegas Music an instrument store? or is there a bigger city nearby that you can get to? i highly recommend a place that has guitar technicians that can give you a straight answer yes

Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 04:23:16 PM »

Do NOT get a Squire. For 500 you should be able to buy a Fender, used, if not new.

Take look into Epiphones, if you prefer the style of an SG or an LP. You may be able to get a Gibson SG Faded for 550 or 600 (I think they were on sale over xmas) - this would better serve as a second guitar, unless you know you'll commit to playing.
emanc93
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 04:54:29 PM »

Any good stores in St.Louis, Missouri? I live 2 hours from their.

Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2007, 05:00:24 PM »

Go to www.musiciansfriend.com and see what they have in your price range.
Musician's Friend is basically the online store for Guitar Center.
Sometimes there is a good find in their returns/scratch& dent section.
But, that will give you an idea of what's out there that's new.

emanc93
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2007, 05:08:12 PM »

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Refurb-Special-II-Lefty-Chrome-Hardware?sku=518399

Would this be a good guitar?

Johnny Rattlesnake
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2007, 05:12:35 PM »

I got a Epiphone Les Paul Jr. with a "dog-ear" pick-up  for $135.
I like playing that more than my Gibson Les Paul Studio($999 in 1995).
If you like it, don't let someelse sway your opinion of what you like.

Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2007, 05:38:08 PM »

I would stay away from the special, see if you like the standard or classic - but its up to you  ok
emanc93
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2007, 05:42:02 PM »

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-51-Electric-Guitar?sku=519636

How about this one? I just want a simple guitar to see if I like it and learn how to play one.

Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 05:44:21 PM »

It looks nice, considering the price

I would consider this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=518341

Black will run you $400, everything else is $500
emanc93
Banned
Headliner

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 05:49:35 PM »

Anything thats just as good but around 200?

Robman?
Legend

Catcher In The Rye

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 06:36:23 PM »

I don't think so, you kind of get what you pay for  hihi
Neemo
Legend

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2007, 08:44:59 AM »

Epi LP Studio would be ok its still gotta set neck....i played one and it was nice...i liked the standard better though also the EPI LP-100 is even cheaper....its a bolt-on though....but just starting that kinda stuff doesnt really matter all too much...set neck is better but not overly critcal in the beginning...then the beginner (and even cheaper) Epi LP is the special II....this one has a flat body where as the studio and 100 have contoured bodies. A few people around these board have the Special II and say its cool. Still i recommend checking out the different ones in person before buying anything peace

LP Special II with a small amp and a soft guitar case is $200
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Special-II-Player-Pack?sku=518677

LP-100 is $250
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-LP100-Electric-Guitar?sku=518661

LP Studio is $300
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Studio-Electric-Guitar?sku=518351

Thorazine Shuffle
East coast struttin
Legend

God hates a coward sonny.

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2007, 01:33:30 PM »

www.rondomusic.net

Neemo
Legend

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2007, 01:37:04 PM »

^ yeah i almost bought one of those....

liesin
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 09:37:36 AM »

I think you should go with one of those cheap beginners set, sure it sould be nice to have a good backup in the future but if you don't even now if you'll still be playing a year from now.

i started out with a j&D brothers lespaul, not the best of guitars but it's way better looking then the ephiphones in that pricerange and it's damn easy to play. Now a couple of years later I haven't had any use of this axe but it really helped me in the beginning and if you get stuck you?ll want a new guitar anyway cause then you know what you want in terms of sound and style.
Pages: 1 2 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: