Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 08:22:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227880 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Behind The Music: GN'R (post your comments here)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Behind The Music: GN'R (post your comments here)  (Read 81136 times)
DRUNK
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2004, 01:06:03 PM »

They said it is slated for release in November 2002.  It must be true because otherwise they wouldn't do that.  We'll see.

Overall, it was a decent show.  They did it the bets they could with what they had.  We all wanted more, but I can't complain.

It didn't really bash Axl that bad. Nothing overly negative.  if anything, Axl was highly praised throughout.
willow
Legend

AKA Amyl

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2004, 01:06:27 PM »

Just watched it, missed the begining. Well done. I have to say I was impressed. It was sad to watch though. Should have been longer. They only scrached the surface. Glad I watched it.

Forgive them that tear down my soul,
bless them that they might grow old.
And free them so that they may know,
that it's never too late.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2004, 01:07:10 PM »

slash blames axl for the pianos, back up singers, and horns even though it was slash's idea.

Out of curiosity, where did you find this information?
TIPSY
Banned
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2004, 01:07:49 PM »

I recommend watching BTM.

All I can say is  Shocked

Lol @ Slash.  He was hysterical in it.

On a side note, did anyone laugh too at the Partridge family look alike and Wonderwoman commercials? rofl

I personally didn't think this show was done poorly at all.  I taped it for part of my GN'R time capsule.

And November 2004 is  smoking
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2004, 01:11:48 PM »

It was OK.  It had exactly the problems I assumed it would have (very one sided, painted Axl to be the asshole and the entire reason for everything bad that's ever happened to GnR...hell, they even blamed him for the drinking...Gilby saying that because he was late to gigs, they'd be drunk before he showed up) but it had some interesting tidbits.

I find it amusing they started the story with Slash and Steven's band, rather than the more commonly circulated story that begins with Izzy and Axl in Indiana, and Hollywood Rose.

I think it's sad they don't even MENTION Dizzy Reed as being a member of the band.  That's complete shit if you ask me.  

I like one quote from Slash, and I think it pretty much portrays Axl the way I thought he was:

"Take everything complicated or difficult about Axl, and that's exactly why he's a brilliant musician".

I think the November announcement is, quite possibly, the biggest thing to come out of the show.  Hopefully, it's legit and not just a "rumor".

All in all, I'm VERY glad I caught it.  I actually didn't even know it was on until I surfing the channel guide about 11:55.  Man, it sure did make me nostalgic for the old days, though.  I remember all that stuff when it was happening......

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2004, 01:11:59 PM »

Kind of what I expected although I' would have liked to have seen more of the new band...

The best line of the show was Sorum's salvo:

"I thought I'd signed up for this bad ass rock n roll band...what's with the piano?"

Exactly my sentiments Matt.

Well said.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2004, 01:12:21 PM »

Holy shit, they just stated that CD will be out in November.  They actually stated that.  Holy shit.  That was cool.  

-TyRod-
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2004, 01:12:57 PM »

I won't believe it til the November date comes straight from the label AND someone in GnR's camp (either Axl or Sanctuary)...but here's hoping it's legit.  It's the closest thing to an official date I think we've EVER gotten.

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
Thorned Rose
Legend

Use Your Illusion I (1991)

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2004, 01:13:57 PM »

Hey man did anyone laugh their ass off when RObert John made fun of Slash when a cigarette fell in between his pants  rofl

I laughed pretty hard on that... it was great.

The show was awesome and I loved it, I want to record it. I looked on VH1 and it is looped heavily.

I wish Axl was in it, but that is a cold day in hell.

But don't damn me
When I speak a piece of my mind
'Cause silence isn't golden
When I'm holding it inside
'Cause I've been where I have been
An I've seen what I have seen
Nacho Man Randy Salsa
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2004, 01:16:15 PM »

I found it interesting that Matt said "Axl is like,the greatest frontman ever" even though he said Scott was the most talented frontman he has ever worked with.

It was a great program.It really showed off how bizarre Axl's mind really was back in the day.

I'm not really taking that "slated for 2004" thing seriously.The word "slated" to me means they are just pushing for a November release.....well they were also pushing for a release in 1999,2000,2001,and 2003.Why should we take this anymore seriously?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 01:18:23 PM by Xavier » Logged
TyRod Tulip
War-huh What is it good for?
Banned
VIP

Sweetness is a virtue and you lost your virtue long ago

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2004, 01:17:32 PM »

slash blames axl for the pianos, back up singers, and horns even though it was slash's idea.

Out of curiosity, where did you find this information?

No where.  It was Axl's idea obviously.  Can you honestly see Slash saying "man a piano, an orchestra and some girls singing backup vocals would be cool?"

No, but that is so Axl.

That show was great.  Glad I have it tivies.  I bet we get an official announcement Tuesday or wednesday.  Well this is the most optomistioc I have been since 2002.

-TyRod-
Mikkamakka
Daddy Cool
Banned
Legend

Half man, half beast

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2004, 01:17:50 PM »

Then they were saying how Vr just cam eout and that CD is slated for November 2004. I swear to God I jumped out of my seat. It was so cool. Who knows where they got that from but it has to be some sort of concrete date. They wouldnt throw out a rumored date. SO I have to believe they got it from GNr Management.

And I believe they read it on the Internet, however I wish you were right.

'Once there was this Rock 'N' Roll band
Rollin' on the streets
Time went by and it became a joke'
Dizzy
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2004, 01:19:03 PM »

A superb chronicle I thought.  It wasn't biased or derogatory towards any member.  For every mention of Axl's "iron fist", there is a mention of Slash's, Duff's, and Steven's substance abuse problems.  The show overall portrayed an equal responsibility for the implosion of the original lineup.

I was glad that there was no real mud-slinging between the band members on the show, despite a few comments by Matt Sorum leaning towards such (the "what the fuck are you doing with this fucking orchestra" comments).  Slash even made it a point to say that Axl's volatility is what made him such a great songwriter and performer.

I was disappointed that Izzy wasn't mentioned much, given the fact that he wrote a lot of the lyrics that Axl sang, and VH-1 stated early on that the lyrics were "Axl's lyrics", when he actually only wrote half the lyrics on AFD.

I was glad to see Steven Adler given a chance to speak on the band that he co-founded, as opposed to most accounts of GNR history which ignore the fact that he was the original drummer and portray Matt Sorum as GNR's drummer.

Steven's comments about his post-GNR suicidal depression were particularly harrowing.  Steven looked really good and he sounded a lot better than he has since his stroke.  Though I'm sure we'll have the stupid "Fuck that lousy addict Adler" crowd ranting about him.  I was disappointed VH-1 didn't mention his band though, when talking about the ex-Gunners current projects at the end of the show.  They could've also mentioned the fact that Izzy still records and releases music despite not being in the public eye.

I was surprised that Dizzy Reed was not mentioned at all, despite being shown in a few photos.

I am sure we'll have the typical "Slash is a liar" crowd somehow managing to find that Slash is "blaming Axl" or "the show blames Axl" or some other shit that doesn't exist, and I am sure we'll have the "Fuck Axl Rose" crowd which will deemphasize the other members' drug problems in favor of placing the entire blame on Axl, but the reality is that the show was far from one-sided.

My biggest criticism of the show is they didn't focus enough on the music.  The band's lifesyle -- while important to touch upon -- took precedent over the music, which I guess summarizes Guns N Roses' destruction.  But I do feel VH-1 could've covered the impact of the songs a bit more.

As far as Chinese Democracy being released in November....all I shall say is we'll see.

Overall though, a really good show with some great archive clips/interviews and concert footage.

Well, first comment of this thread. In the first segment Slash says that he and Steven started GNR and then they got Axl and Izzy, and finally they got Duff. I really didn't know that.

No no no, Slash said that's where Guns N Roses started for him.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 01:32:40 PM by Dizzy » Logged
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2004, 01:20:26 PM »

Great Great show, I loved it... very nice.

I wish it had all the members in it! It isn't like they would have to be in the same room. I knew Axl Rose would be in there... but I thought that Izzy might of been.

If I could have added anyone to the show I would want Duff in there big time. I thought that they should of had more Slash.

Slash told it the way it was basically, so all you Axl guys can stick it.

Did anyone else think that Adler sounded like a idiot? I guess that stroke messed him up. I think that the drugs just messed up his face, and personality probably.

I wish they would of focused more on 93-00 era more... I know not a lot happened but I think it would of been fun to have more of that.

"That is the sound of the band breaking up." Slash on Sympathy for the Devil

It did seem one sided a lot, but the show was sad to watch and it got me excited!!!!!!!!

ROCK on! worth the delay!

But don't damn me
Dizzy
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2004, 01:25:14 PM »

The only new thing I learned from the show was that I never new SLash basically died and he was revived.

Yeah, I read an Axl interview from 2000 or so where he mentioned that.  He said something to the effect of, You remember that movie Pulp Fiction?  Slash had to get a shot in his heart to revive him, just like in that movie.

Did anyone else think that Adler sounded like a idiot? I guess that stroke messed him up. I think that the drugs just messed up his face, and personality probably.

No, he doesn't sound like an idiot, he sounds like a guy who had a stroke.  That's what a stroke does to a person, it paralyzes facial muscles (usually on one side).  My grandfather had a stroke.  Steven is actually speaking quite well for a stroke sufferer; being young and determined have helped him immeasurably in recovering.

And the stroke does not affect the personality at all.  Steven's personality is fine, he just is limited in vocally expressing himself due to the stroke.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 01:28:27 PM by Dizzy » Logged
Thorned Rose
Legend

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2004, 01:28:22 PM »

VH1 was again awesome!

I don't know if anyone in the UK saw it yet but it is great.

I'm sure it got some sick ass reviews and ratings. It deserves... well offically they screwed over a reunion. You people heard it for yourselves..." we're very far from that" Slash

The only person willing to do it is Steven Adler and he's the broken piece from the band.

I believe this show is legitimate with CD's release date.

I mean the show is very fresh and they would know more then us... we guess and hope they know. I'm sure they contacted Axl on the show and he obviously declined. As well did Duff, Izzy.

My favorite parts were the first 10 minutes and last 10, even though the show was fantastic!!!!

Chinese Democracy starts now...

But don't damn me
madagas
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2004, 01:28:38 PM »

"By the time he showed up....we were hammered"  I was laughing my ass off! It did make me miss the old guys. What a glorious mess they were..in all forms and phases. What is striking still is everyone's reluctance to confront Axl. They are simply scared of him. Even Robert John when talking about Axl and Erin shys away from saying anything too bad..."that's all I"ll say about that"..like Axl is going to hunt him down and gut him on the set. Izzy is the only one whoever really stood up to Axl and ultimately, you have to respect him for that.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2004, 01:30:48 PM »

I found it interesting that Matt said "Axl is like,the greatest frontman ever" even though he said Scott was the most talented frontman he has ever worked with.

No, he didnt.  He said Scott Weiland is the best frontman today.

My biggest criticism of the show is they didn't focus enough on the music.

Behind The Music  Wink

I also dont take the slated date seriously.  Weve heard similar projected dates straight from Axl himself...and nothing.  Even with an official release date, Ill reseve excitement until the CD is physically available.
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2004, 01:32:26 PM »

Well, first comment of this thread. In the first segment Slash says that he and Steven started GNR and then they got Axl and Izzy, and finally they got Duff. I really didn't know that.

Fucking bollocks

Guns N Roses was Axl Rose and Tracii Guns - there was a Guns N Roses BEFORE Slash - he joined when Tracii quit

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Dizzy
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2004, 01:34:33 PM »

Fucking bollocks

Guns N Roses was Axl Rose and Tracii Guns - there was a Guns N Roses BEFORE Slash - he joined when Tracii quit

As I said before, that dude took Slash's comment out of context.  Slash said that he and Steven were in a band, and that where Guns N Roses started for him.  He didn't say that he and Steven started the entity known as Guns N Roses period.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: