Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 11:42:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227878 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy HTGTH member reviews
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy HTGTH member reviews  (Read 52185 times)
hooliganscomics
Banned
Headliner

Kool Aid free since '93

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2008, 01:45:31 PM »

Sorry - I like it, don't love it. "I don't want to do it" line is just very odd sounding. Bachs background vocals are very cool. And the solo is beautiful. It may grow on me but man that one line really bothers me. 3/5

I'd give it a 4/5...and the one point, fair or not, is because that same line really wrankles me.  He sounds like he's putting on a bad Hispanic accent.

And I LOVE the song.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it...I dont' know why, but it's the song that completely stuck in my head at the listening party.

I mentioned, in another thread, there was "at least one song with an "old school" bluesy GnR style solo".  This is the song I was thinking of.  I LOVE the solo.  It doesn't sound like Slash, but it sounds like the type of solo that you would have found on Appetite, or maybe more UYI.  It's REALLY good, IMHO. 

That's exactly how I felt when I heard the Solo. Very Illusion era. It's a beauty. Buckethead knocked that one out of the park. For those of you that haven't heard it yet YOU WILL BE BLOWN AWAY.

If you don't like what I have to say stop reading my posts.
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2008, 02:24:46 PM »

I like the song except for the Ill kick your ass part.

Awful.

And the I don't want to do it part is pretty bad, Axl sounds like a vampire.

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2008, 02:35:47 PM »

Chinese Democracy is better then I ever dreamed it would be. I agree with much that I am reading hear except when it comes to If The World. You people aren't really digging the fuck out of it huh? Damn that is something. Personally, I think its so fucking cool I can't shake it from my head. The middle part is so fucking slick too. Oh well, feel a little sorry for those who aren't getting it. Its like Axl wrote this song just for me. It can't just be because I indulge in the sacred herb. This songs only problem is maybe that it is too cool  smoking

And I also disagree with some of the comments about Sorry. "That line" is escaping a lot of people. One day maybe it will click. And there is NOTHING Awful anywhere on CD. Maybe I should kick your ass  ok But, Oh my science do I love Chinese Democracy. I feel so lucky to have this album in my life. Cannot thank Axl enough. He did us proud. This music is already such a part of me. Absolutely amazing. It is GN'R's masterpiece.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 02:39:00 PM by Buddha_Master » Logged

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Bodhi
Legend

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »

ok here goes...my quick first official listen review of "Chinese Democracy"...I guess i'll use that 5 star system, but I wont really give too much detail on the songs in case some of you are yet to hear them...i'll be as vague as possible

1. Chinese Democracy-3/5..on its own it is an ok song...but it is a KILLER opening track for the album, great intro, hard riff...perfect to get things going

2. Shackler's Revenge-5/5 might be my favorite song on the album, if not my favorite, it is up there with them.  Great vocals, amazing chorus....

3.Better-5/5  Im with most of you on this one...it is great all around.

4. Street of Dreams 5/5 -great emotion in this song, guitar work is great.

5. If the World-2/5  My least favorite song on the album, its far from bad, but it is not my cup of tea.

6. There was a time-4/5  very unique sounding song, Axl really goes out on a limb on this one, and it works.

7. Catcher in the Rye-5/5  Was not a fan of this song till I heard it at the listening party..it has been perfected.

8. Scraped-3/5  Very solid rocker.  Cool "out of this world" intro.

9. Riad N' the Bedoiuns-5/5  Great rocker, great chorus, great drumbeats, great guitars.

10. Sorry-5/5  Amazing song...heavy on the emotional side..and sounds very different than the rest of the record

11. IRS-4/5  Always been one of my favorite rockers on the album, heard it live several times, this version had a lot more kick to it.

12. Madagascar- 5/5 This is a phenomenal tune...some peopel will complain about the sampling of the voices in the middle..but it is different and most importantly it WORKS.  Loved this song since Rio in 2001

13. This I Love-5/5 Masterpiece.  This belongs right along side November Rain and Estranged.  It is songs like this that remind me why I am such a GNR fan...

14. Prostitute- 5/5 Probably the most different sounding track on the album. I can't even label this track as being hard rock, it is so much more than that...it is really out there...I love it

Overall I give this record a 5/5 it is a knockout..It is up there with "Appetite" and better than any of the "Illusions" by themselves...You would have to take the BEST 14 songs on the "Illusions" to match it up with "Chinese Democracy"...  Every track on there is good and even the ones that arent my cup of tea are still good! This is the first record in a LONG time that is good from the first to last track.  Each song just HITS you one after the another...like a nuclear assault...just an amazing record..after all these years of waiting I feel like the record was worth every second and then some!!  I can't wait till Sunday

The Illusionist
Headliner

Illusion

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2008, 03:36:23 PM »

Chinese Democracy - 3/5 - Decent opener...at first I hated it and felt disappointed but it did grow on me...still not nearly the best on the album.

Shakler's Revenge - 4/5 - Not a masterpiece...but definitely in a category of its own.  The chorus is pretty grabbing...and Buckethead's guitar is ridiculous as always...I especially like when the chorus kicks in near the end WITH Bucketheads guitar...simply awesome.

Better - 5/5 - One of, if not the best song on the album.  Very catchy.  Lyrically incredible.  The lyrics in this song would have made the song at least decent regardless of everything else put into it.  The badass guitar riff in the middle hits you by surprise...while the Slash-like bluesy solo towards the end soothes every pore in your body. 

Street of Dreams - 4/5 - I have a soft spot for piano (or keyboards)...so this song automatically gains points in that respect.  The lyrics are, again, nothing short of amazing...especially at the end where Axl cries out "What I thought was true before were lies I couldn't see, What I thought was beautiful is only memories."  Simply fantastic...

If the World - 5/5 - I don't understand all the hate on this song.  Sure it sounds different...but that's what the whole album is all about.  According to another review, Buckethead is finger plucking the Santana-like guitar notes that follow the opening...I must say at first it was a little odd to listen to as it really didn't strike me as a "GNR" song...but after a bunch of listens and watching the movie "Body of Lies"...it really grew on me.  Yet another bluesy Slash-like guitar solo towards the end in this one...trade-mark GNR right there...

There Was a Time - 4/5 - Very rarely do I find a song where I don't like the chorus what-so-ever but I love the rest that much more...In another review, they said it best.  This song changes melodies and sound more than a 16 year old girls cell phone ring tone.  The thing is, I love the verses of the song so much...that it's worth listening to even though the chorus is so ill-fitting.

Catcher in the Rye - 5/5 - While I'm still not used to the changes, this has always been one of my favorites regardless.  The whole meaning of the song and the different sound and "blast to the past" type style it represents...actually makes the whole story that much better.

Scraped - 4/5 - Very different.  The intro really grew on me...but it's so different that I still don't really know whether I love it or not haha.  It's catchy and groovy...and it has a certain Appetite feel to it...while also remaining entirely different than anything I've heard in rock n roll in recent memory. 

Rhiad N' the Bedoiuns - 3/5 - This song also has an Appetite feel to it although the transfer into the chorus is a lot like "There Was a Time" where it's not that seemless...it sounds like it was forced.  All in all, not a bad tune.

Sorry - 5/5 - One of my absolute favorites.  Dark, deep, genius.  If this song wasn't on this album and the album came out with only 13 tracks...and somebody asked me what was missing...this is exactly the kind of song I would say.  While everything on the album sounds different...this really takes it to another level.  The chorus really grabs you...

I.R.S. - 2/5 - Probably my least favorite on the album.  His voice sounds like classic Axl and there is a nice sound to it...although some of the lyrics "gonna call the President...gonna call the FBI..." doesn't really hold up to the lyrics in the other songs on this album...

Madagascar - 4/5 - This song would be a 5/5 if it didn't have well over a minute of sound clips from Martin Luther King and Michael J Fox (from Casualties of War) in it.  The sound bites are nice...and they do kind of take you back to the Use Your Illusion songs with them...but when they are this long it kind of takes away from the song...other than that...the song is very good.

This I Love - 5/5 - This song is a masterpiece.  While it may not be as heavily produced as the others...or as it's comparison "November Rain"...but the lyrics and piano go hand in hand as they are both beautiful and the chorus really hits you with emotion just at the right time.  A classic rock ballad for the ages. 

Prostitute - 5/5 - A perfect closing to the album.  Again, the lyrics are simply superb.  The emotion of the song adds to them as well.  The drums seems like they may have been used by Dizzy Reed on the keyboards...but overall a great rock track.  The ending to the song is why it closes out the album...as it fades out with an "outro" of piano (keyboard?)...there really isn't a better ending to a song on the album to fade out to...

<i>Double Talkin' Jive Motherfucker</i>
Sugartown
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 04:23:26 PM »

So here it Goes. Simply awesome musical jounrey; seems to be enough detail about the songs above so ill keep it short.  Been a fan since im 7 Im 31.  Anybody whos gonna compare this album to AFD dont, you'd be a fool. I like this record simply because axl moved on. Hes not trying to recreate something that was he created something that is.  There really is something for evryone on the album; and whatever leaks you may have heard they were not finished.  AXL & CO thanks for getting it out there i truly believe in its sucess this is in fact GUNS N'  FUCKIN' ROSES
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 04:27:44 PM by Sugartown » Logged
MrMojoRa
VIP

iiii]; )'

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 04:53:51 PM »

I'm surprised by the negativety surround the opening line in Sorry.  I don't care for it either, but he doesn't repeat it.  Moot point.  Probably why Axl took so long to be satisfied with the finished product since he figured it would be nitpicked with a microscope.

8-13-88 (Pine Knob, Clarkson, Mi); 6-11-91 (Hershey, Pa); 12-16-91 & 12-17-91 (Philly); 12-06-02 (Philly Riot); 5-12-06 (Hammerstein, NY); 10-10-06 (MSG, NY); 11-26-11 (Camden, NJ); 7-14-16 (Philly)
falungong69
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 04:54:32 PM »

chinese democracy - 10/10 - perfect way to start off the album.  it's like axl saw kurt cobain's teen spirit and raised him a nine inch nails.  is there nothing this band can't do?

shackler's revenge - 9.1/10 - rocks so hard it will bring you to your knees.  i like that axl was able to get lots of song parts and solos into a song that's still pretty short and catchy. 

better - 10/10 - will surely be the number one single of the year.  fans love it, and fans know what makes good music.  i hope they do a big video for this one.  it deserves it.

street of dreams - 10/10 - epic, inspiring and grand.  elton john is probably green with envy over this one.  i really love how he has a symphony playing in the background.  holy shit, this isn't rock -- it's true art!

if the world - 8.9/10 - not a rocker, not a ballad, but something to fuck to.  every album needs a love making song.  i love the mexican american guitars.  it shows that axl's come a long way since he used to hate immigrants.  now he lets them inspire his art!  great stuff.

there was a time - 10/10 - possibly the most epic guns song ever.  it's long and has lots of different parts and it sets the record straight about axl in some ways.  what an amazing chorus too.

catcher in the rye - 10/10 - new guitar solos are amazing.  to me, this song sounds like classic rock but with a few modern touches.  john lennon is probably smiling in heaven.

scraped - 9.2/10 - who'd have ever thought acapella could kick so much ass?  this song also makes me feel good about myself because the lyrics are so inspirational.  it's about believing in youfrself and proving assholes wrong.  and it rocks!

riad - 9.0/10 - the final version blew me away.  i admit, i didn't have much hope when the song was first played live.  but it seriously kicks ten tons of ass in the final version.  i could see this really catching on with fans of afd and the more hard rockin' gnr stuff.  i dont know what its about though.  who cares?

sorry - 10/10 - another epic.  i love how this song has a chorus i can sing along with.  it really says everything i've ever wanted to say to my bitch ex-girlfriend.  ha ha.  i love the floyd sound.  the guitar solo is great.  and i love the comic releif part when axl says 'i don't wan to do it.'

i.r.s. - 10/10 - i expected to hate this song because i hate paying taxes, lol.  but this one rocks as hard as anything i've ever heard.  axl's epic scream is the stuff legends are made of.  i dont know who axl is pissed off at, but they better fucking run because the irs is on the way.

madagascar - 10/10 - probably the defining chinese democracy song.  this one became a classic before the album even came out because they played it live so amazingly.  i love all the sound effects and the simple keyboard progression.  it reminds me of being in church... the church of axl!

this i love - 10.1/10 - this will make you cry.  it is so beautiful.  axl pours his heart out, and there are harps and orchestras to help him get the job done.  it's everything you love about broadway musicals combined with everything you love about axl.  you can share this song with your parents and they'll actually love it!

prostitute - 9.4/10 - best closing album song ever.  its so peaceful.  it is to chinese demoracy what rocket queen was to afd.  you expect teh album to end with a kick in the balls, but instead, axl sings you gently to sleep.  again, great orchestras!
Buddha_Master
Legend

Real men use fists!

« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 05:20:16 PM »

Dude I like ITW But holy shit:

"if the world - 8.9/10 - not a rocker, not a ballad, but something to fuck to.  every album needs a love making song.  i love the mexican american guitars.  it shows that axl's come a long way since he used to hate immigrants.  now he lets them inspire his art!  great stuff."

If that is what you took from One in a Million than dude please, wake the fuck up! You missed that point of that song entirely. I can't believe you just said that? Obviously a new fan who know nothing of GNR history. Study up grasshopper.

I DON'T NEED TO BELIEVE IN A GOD
Anywaythewindblows
Opening Act

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 07:19:17 PM »

I bought Chinese Democracy today in Spain. It has been one of the nicest days in my life.

1. Chinese Democracy: 8/10
2. Shackler's Revenge: 8,5/10
3. Better: 10/10
4. Street of dreams: 10/10
5. If the World: 10/10
6. There was a time: 10/10
7. Catcher in the rye: 8/10
8. Scraped: 9/10
9. Riad N' the Bedouins: 9/10
10. Sorry: 9,5/10
11. I.R.S.: 10/10
12. Madagascar: 10/10
13. This I Love: 10/10
14. Prostitute: 10/10

In my opinion, the top three songs of this album are TWAT, This I love and Prostitute. I haven't recovered yet from the first listening. It's funny that some people think Chinese Democracy isn't tough enough... I feel beaten up. It's such a powerful and terrific album.

pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2008, 07:28:08 PM »

I'm surprised by the negativety surround the opening line in Sorry.  I don't care for it either, but he doesn't repeat it.  Moot point.  Probably why Axl took so long to be satisfied with the finished product since he figured it would be nitpicked with a microscope.

I will ABSOLUTLEY cop to nitpicking when pointing out "the line".  The album is so fucking good......6 out of 5 good.  Scary good.  I think that's what make "that line" so jarring to me.  And it doesn't detract (much) from the song as a whole.  I still love it.  It's STILL stuck in my head.  And I agree...it's probably a moot point.  And if Axl will agree to put out another 14 tracks just like them, in a reasonable amount of time, I'd happily let him kick my ass over my nitpicking.  Smiley

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
GunnerOne 84
VIP

Welcome Back To The Jungle

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »

If a broken heart was a sound, that sound would be "This I Love"

Nothing Lasts Forever, And We Both Know Hearts Can Change
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2008, 08:03:28 PM »

This I Love is one of the best ever. WOW, Great way to express that. A broken heart would sound just like that.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
norway
What if Axl?s name was skogsal...
Legend

Wake up fuckers

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2008, 08:59:10 PM »

On behalf of the state of Norway...

It's a solid album Smiley

Shacklers Revenge is one of my favorites and the soloing in Scraped is quite good.

I was hoping for more heavy stuff with more electronic elements and some more Axl screams-
-the softer songs on the album sounds great still.

One of the great albums of this year peace
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 09:55:22 AM by norway » Logged

Here 2day gone insane coffee

Quote from: Wooody
Burgers can be songs, they don't know who to credit?
Quote from: ppbebe
hi you got 2 twats right?
burnz007
Rocker

Kick'n back in the shadows...

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2008, 11:03:51 PM »

I just got back from the Boston listening party... it was awesome to finally hear the album... one song sounded like pink floyd, another like queen, the rest like guns n' f'n roses !  The album is simply great...
I can't give a proper review yet because I need to listen it alone a few times over... so it'll have to wait until Sunday (unless my pre-order arrives Friday)
Layne Staley's Sunglasses
Satisfaction Guaranteed
Legend

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2008, 11:12:32 PM »

Vess, that was a truly fantastic review.  It was great to listen to Chinese Democracy with you!

I'll write one up after I get the album on Sunday.  I wouldn't want to miss a single detail.
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2008, 11:41:14 PM »

I'm not a critic, never have been.  My review would be horribly boring cuz I would pretty much peg each song at the top of the scale.

However, I can say that I have been listening to Sorry and This I Love for the last hour or so, over and over and over.  I think because I haven't heard them before and they move me so damn much.  Madagascar would be in there too if I hadn't already heard it before.

When I'm looking for rockers, Better, Scraped and Shackler's would be my tops.  Oh and I absolutly love the Sci-Fi feel of Rhiad.  Too cool.

I keep trying to put the headphones down and give myself a break.  Can't seem to do it hihi

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
oneway23
VIP

I've asphyxiated waiting...

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2008, 12:01:06 AM »

I'm not a critic, never have been.  My review would be horribly boring cuz I would pretty much peg each song at the top of the scale.

However, I can say that I have been listening to Sorry and This I Love for the last hour or so, over and over and over.  I think because I haven't heard them before and they move me so damn much.  Madagascar would be in there too if I hadn't already heard it before.

When I'm looking for rockers, Better, Scraped and Shackler's would be my tops.  Oh and I absolutly love the Sci-Fi feel of Rhiad.  Too cool.

I keep trying to put the headphones down and give myself a break.  Can't seem to do it hihi

Really glad to see your thoughts.  I was waiting for your post, considering how excited you were to receive it.
LittleFly
Legend

A dream realized

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2008, 12:13:41 AM »

Really glad to see your thoughts.  I was waiting for your post, considering how excited you were to receive it.

I kinda felt bad for everyone who DIDN'T get the album today.  Embarrassed Now that it's streaming on Myspace, I figured I could say something without making a bunch of people feel horrible.

I can't describe how incredible it is to hear NEW GNR music.  An era of anxious waiting is over.  A new era has begun Grin

"I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

www.cindyscrazy.com   www.facebook.com/cindyscrazy

"...now where's that monkey? I want to shoot something"- Cap'n Jack Sparrow
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2008, 12:21:21 AM »

Sorry - I like it, don't love it. "I don't want to do it" line is just very odd sounding. Bachs background vocals are very cool. And the solo is beautiful. It may grow on me but man that one line really bothers me. 3/5

I'd give it a 4/5...and the one point, fair or not, is because that same line really wrankles me.  He sounds like he's putting on a bad Hispanic accent.

Think Zoolander voice of Ben Stiller.....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: