Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 01:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227874 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Off Topic
| |-+  Bad Obsession
| | |-+  Blues
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blues  (Read 2578 times)
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« on: June 11, 2007, 08:02:17 PM »

Anyone else like the Blues ? Who? Genre?

Me ... I love Mississippi Delta Blues

Sime of my favorites :
John Lee Hooker (probebly one of my all time favorite guitar players)
Muddy Waters (another fav.)
Ledbelly
Little Walter
Big Bill Broonzy
Mississippi Fred McDowell
Bumble Bee Slim
and of course Robert Johnson

what about you ?

EDIT : oops , I almost left out Buddy Guy
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 08:07:30 PM by fuckin crazy » Logged

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Bill 213
Legend

The buck stops here!

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2007, 08:16:12 PM »

Get some Robert Nighthawk and Sam Myers....really great stuff.

There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
hogg2500x
Headliner

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2007, 11:07:46 PM »

How could you guys forget B.B. King!

The Thrill Is Gone....
gilld1
Banned
VIP

Spiraling up through the crack in the skye...

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 08:38:29 AM »

Son House andf Leadbelly are also great.  Muddy Waters' Folk Singer is my personal fave album.  It's acoustic and you can hear him keeping time by tapping his foot.  It is almost like he is sitting in your living room performing for you.  Go check out Clarksdale, Miss.  It's where alot of these guys were born and it's where the imfamous 61 and 49 crossroads are located.  There is a Blues Museum anda great place to stay called the Shack Up Inn.  They renovated old sharecropper shacks and people like the Allman Bros. have stayed there.  Very cool little town.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 07:21:53 AM »

Son House andf Leadbelly are also great. Muddy Waters' Folk Singer is my personal fave album. It's acoustic and you can hear him keeping time by tapping his foot. It is almost like he is sitting in your living room performing for you. Go check out Clarksdale, Miss. It's where alot of these guys were born and it's where the imfamous 61 and 49 crossroads are located. There is a Blues Museum anda great place to stay called the Shack Up Inn. They renovated old sharecropper shacks and people like the Allman Bros. have stayed there. Very cool little town.

Yea I've heard of that . Someday (one of my fav. Muddy Waters tunes) I hope to visit there .

Somehow I left out Eric Clapton , Stevie Ray , and Robin Trower .

i got lit last night, and I got lit the night before ... I'm drinkin' heavily and I will git lit some more
Ellroy
Rocker

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 10:23:37 PM »

Can't go wrong with the blues. Everyone mentioned so far is great, but I'll add Lightnin' Hopkins, Taj Mahal, and Blind Willie Johnson (for his rendition of Dark Was The Night, Cold Was The Ground, an incredibly haunting and beautiful song).

"So, for those who believe in the cause...thank you for your support." - Axl Rose, May 15th 2006
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 11:38:52 PM »

Anyone like Johnny Winter? I love his stuff. Other artists who werent mentioned and need to be are Howlin Wolf, Albert King, Freddie King, Charley Patton, and John Mayall.
fuckin crazy
Banned
Legend

Social Democracy Now!!!

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2007, 08:24:33 AM »

Anyone like Johnny Winter? I love his stuff. Other artists who werent mentioned and need to be are Howlin Wolf, Albert King, Freddie King, Charley Patton, and John Mayall.

All good stuff . I especially like Johnny Winters cover of the Chuck Berry song 'Back in the USA' on Edgar Winter's White Trash -Road Work .

freedom78
Legend

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 04:38:46 PM »

Thought I'd give this one a bump, 'cause it ALL goes back to the blues.

Electric blues.  There's something about a note being bent on electric guitar, as if the tempo of the song is just too fast and the blues can't quite catch up.

SRV, of course (and the thing he did w/ Albert King especially)
Jimi's Blues album is great 
Buddy Guy (duh)
Joe Bonamassa (check out his cover of Zep's "Tea for One" on his album You & Me)

....many more, of course, that I'll have to think on.  I'm still very much exploring the blues (electric and otherwise).

SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!
Padmasana
Headliner

King of Beers

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 09:24:40 PM »

Son House IS the blues. Once you've heard him, you know exactly where everyone else got their stuff from.

Funny how everything was Roses when we held onto the Guns...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: