Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:20:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227888 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Should Axl Play Hardball or Do What It Takes?....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should Axl Play Hardball or Do What It Takes?....  (Read 24581 times)
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2008, 07:39:32 PM »

What I meant to say was that maybe some people (record execs) don't think he has that many good songs.

I have no doubt that they're good or great, but you never know what someone else is thinking.

I know what you mean, but it's a lot speculation. I don't think the band would be done recording and mixing and all that if the Record Company didn't like the stuff. I don't know though. Just seems to be more an issue of finances for the album rather than the content.

Record company thinks the material is great and self-promoting, while Axl wants proper promotion. Doesn't want to do the whole re-release WTTJ thing all over again, but like I said I don't know. No one does but GNR and the Execs.
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2008, 08:31:26 PM »

I'm not sure it's a fact that there's 3 to 4 albums worth of material. I know we've heard this rumor from a few different sources, but there's more rumors about GnR(or Axl) than any band in history.

Even if there is, record execs always want to get as much as they can as soon as they can. So that first cd needs to be one hell of a cd(in their opinion), in order to get the audience for numbers 2, 3 and 4.

Us hardcore fans will buy them, I'm sure. But they're trying to get the casual fans money more than ours.
I think the first CD needs to be one hell of a CD for not only the management team, but for Axl and the rest of the band, and the fans.  Let's face it, if the management team thinks it's ready but Axl doesn't or vice versa it's not getting released.  It's been a heckuva long wait, they're obviously gonna be careful and make sure it's the absolute best possible before deciding to go ahead with the release.  Even if the band is not as BIG as they once were, once the album is released every media type is gonna give it a listen and review it.  You're not gonna please everyone obviously, some already have their minds made up that they're gonna hate it no matter what.  You'll hear plenty of 14 (or whatever it may be) years for this!  It's pretty much a battle that can't be won at this point I hate to say.  I have no doubt it'll be great.  But I just have a feeling that most people won't be able to give it the respect it deserves after all that has gone on since the last GNR record was released.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
oldgunsfan
Legend

Here Today...

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2008, 08:16:22 AM »

How would you like to see Axl and his mgmt handle the negotiations with the record company?

It appears that Axl and the record company are trying to find a way to get back the $13+ million spent after all of these years. I ask why? Is that even realistic for one album?
To the best of my knowledge CD alone did not cost $13mill to make. CD, along with 2 to 3 other albums cost Axl $13mill to make.

Im not saying this is the sole focus of negotiations, but if it is, why not spread it out? There are 3-4 albums that could be used to recoup the investment. Why should all the weight be put on Chin Dem from a financial standpoint?

I hate when I read journalists mock Axl for spending over 13 mill trying to make one album. The fact is he has made 3-4 albums with that money. Which isnt too bad.

So, with that being said, would you want to see Axl agree or disagree with the record company and put all their eggs in one basket with CD?

What if there is a halt in negotiations because Axl doesnt want to hand over the other albums and the record company tells Axl they arent releasing CD until they have the right or control over the other material. Should Axl play hardball or do whatever it takes, even if that means meeting any demands/requests by the record compay that he normally wouldnt agree to? What do you think?

Imo, if that scenario were to happen, it would be a tough call for Axl...and the record company for that matter. Its a game of chicken.

Journalists aren't making Axl look bad for spending $13million on a album.  They are making him look bad because he's been working on the album for over 10 years, spent over $13mil, and as of June 2008, hasn't released anything off  of it.  He can have 5 albums of material but it's yet to see the light of day.  I think thats why they are making him look bad.
slashsbaconpit
Rocker

If it opens your eyes ...

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2008, 10:24:40 AM »

The guys from Talking Metal had a good point in their last podcast. They said that music just doesn't sell like it did, and maybe it's just time for the record company to recognized that and put out the album ? whether it sells 1 million or 10,000 copies the first week.

Don't ask what your country can do for you, ask what your country can do for GNR!
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2008, 12:04:05 PM »

The guys from Talking Metal had a good point in their last podcast. They said that music just doesn't sell like it did, and maybe it's just time for the record company to recognized that and put out the album ? whether it sells 1 million or 10,000 copies the first week.
Well that's for certain, and I don't think anyone is under the false presumption that any new material is gonna outsell AFD or the Illusions.  But I imagine there still are some ways to make money in the record/music industry and they're doing their best to maximize profits and get the best material out there at the same time.

It's one thing for a band to put out album after album, the expectations aren't out of this world.  Unfortunately Axl has put himself in the untenable position of carrying on the legendary GNR name and the large gap between releases.  That raises expectations for better or worse.  I really think it's at the point where he can't come out as big a winner as he'd/we'd like.  I hope I'm wrong though.

If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you.
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2008, 02:07:16 PM »

Well I think the 30,000 or so fans on the forums will by the album first chance. Some people are buying two or three to give away to family or friends. There's a good 30,000+ guaranteed on opening day. Obviously that's a very conservative estimate, but I saw tons of people in 2006 that weren't signed up on the forums but big GN'R fans. So if the fans want to be awesome, then everyone can encourage their friends and family to buy it but also buy a couple of copies themselves and give people a copy who wouldn't buy it otherwise. It's quite simple, don't order pizza or go out to dinner one week/weekend. You'll be showing love to your favorite band and helping the album kick some ass on the charts. Then there's all of the critics/reviewers going to buy a ton of copies for their music division....I mean I remember Chuck Klosterman saying something like 'if this ridiculous album ever comes out, I'm going to buy it 3 times'.

The album will obviously open well. So appealing to us is a moot point. Focusing on a creating/bringing in a new fanbase (and those have gone astray) is essential to making the album sell. Promotion seems like key.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 03:23:49 AM by mrbucketfoot » Logged
sandman
Legend

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2008, 07:33:11 PM »

the record label has made plenty of money from gnr. my best guess is that the negotiations involve other more complicated issues (marketing, distribution, appearances, rights, future releases, etc.)

but one thing people tend to forget. the record company does not just want to make their money back. they was to maximize their returns. maybe even make a profit.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2008, 08:03:21 PM »

Well I think the 30,000 or so fans on the forums

What?
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2008, 09:15:28 PM »

He should do whatever it takes to ensure that everything is wrapped up and taken care of by the time that the first album comes out, so they don't have to go through any serious hassles for future releases of this trilogy, and so that the time between releases is a couple years as they have planned
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2008, 09:49:14 PM »

Well I think the 30,000 or so fans on the forums

What?

8,400 here + 14,000 CD.com + 30,000 MyGNR.

Some of those people have accounts on multiple forums. I think 30,000 is a good estimate.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2008, 09:56:29 PM »

So you're not talking active users.
Bandita
Legend

unbanned

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2008, 10:42:52 PM »

Fuck the haters.  The man has a vision.  What we have heard so far is extremely promising.  

Give 'em hell Axl!   peace

Amen to that! Grin
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 12:19:58 AM »

So you're not talking active users.

Right.
Chief
Legend

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 01:36:39 AM »

I don't know but at this point since it's taken so long already, why not be completely happy and then release it??

"That game was gay on gay violence!"

Visit my GNR site Welcome to the Jungle:
http://qfg2.info/gnr.html
mrbucketfoot
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 01:46:26 AM »

I don't know but at this point since it's taken so long already, why not be completely happy and then release it??

Whatya mean Chief?
faldor
Legend

I'm Ron Burgundy?

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 03:10:42 PM »

I think he means that it's been SO long, why rush it out at this time.  Might as well make sure everything is perfect at this point.

MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2008, 10:41:34 AM »

How much money did Greatest Hits make them?

What about the other albums?

GN'R must be one of the best selling artists on Geffen Records.

/jarmo

Thats a good point. Every day Guns N' Roses are making money for Geffen records from albums, dvds, vhs, t-shirts and more. Some times you have to spend money to make a lot more moeny  and thats whats going to happen.     

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2008, 11:06:12 AM »

makes u wonder though

I wonder how many albums are left on the GNR contract?

Cause if there is only 1 left, and Axl has recorded 4 on THEIR dime. That could be a huge fiasco and the label could try to demand that Axl release those albums on Geffen since they paid for them and Axl is using those other albums as leverage or maybe do the new thing and go indy.

I could definitely see the label Shelving CD until Axl agrees to release all the albums on Geffen. GNR are the biggest Geffen moneymaker of all time and Im sure they will try to do all they can to have all those albums on their label.

Also, the greed of record labels, Im sure they dont count Greatest Hits as a Recoup for CD seeing as they had plans for a GH anyway.

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2008, 04:28:25 PM »

makes u wonder though

Cause if there is only 1 left, and Axl has recorded 4 on THEIR dime. That could be a huge fiasco and the label could try to demand that Axl release those albums on Geffen since they paid for them and Axl is using those other albums as leverage or maybe do the new thing and go indy.

I could definitely see the label Shelving CD until Axl agrees to release all the albums on Geffen. GNR are the biggest Geffen moneymaker of all time and Im sure they will try to do all they can to have all those albums on their label.

Also, the greed of record labels, Im sure they dont count Greatest Hits as a Recoup for CD seeing as they had plans for a GH anyway.
oh please  Roll Eyes

If by contract GNR only owe the label one more album, then that's all they have to deliver.  The label can't hold anything hostage.  How many times do you hear about artists that owe a label one more album so they give them a GH cd or just throw together a shitty album to cover what's owed.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
ShotgunBlues1978
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2008, 04:40:30 PM »

makes u wonder though

oh please  Roll Eyes

If by contract GNR only owe the label one more album, then that's all they have to deliver.  The label can't hold anything hostage.  How many times do you hear about artists that owe a label one more album so they give them a GH cd or just throw together a shitty album to cover what's owed.

But the point you're missing is that if they only have one more album and have recorded 4 albums worth of material on Geffen's tab, the status of the subsequent albums is in limbo if a new contract isn't negotiated.  If that's the case, you can bet that part of the negotiations taking place involve future GnR albums after CD, not just CD
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: