Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 08:34:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227885 Posts in 43251 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Chinese Democracy Review Thread
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chinese Democracy Review Thread  (Read 101789 times)
wolftread
Headliner

No Refrain

« Reply #460 on: May 15, 2009, 08:12:37 PM »

http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/music/69316/guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-review
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #461 on: May 16, 2009, 12:13:20 PM »

Madagascar- Everything about this track just oozes the word EPIC. I can't help but feel this is the sound Axl was looking for on the Use Your Illusion discs but fell short of achieving. Again the lyrics are nothing short of brilliant, there should be crowds of people out in the street right now talking about it. I love the "Cool Hand Luke" audio clips, along with the MLK speech. If you don't get goose bumps from this song you must be a corpse. Thank you for this track Axl, it was worth the wait.

This I Love- A very theatrical themed track, It almost comes off sounding like an outake from Phantom of the Opera. The piano has a certain richness to its sound much like the live version of "November Rain" from the 2 disc live GNR set. The vocals are hair raising with intensity and devotion. This track has the one thing modern rock has never been able to capture, sincerity. No one can plead a case for love like monsieur Rose and this track is no exception. Bravo.

Prostitute- Everything about this track is well crafted, I find myself putting it on repeat quite a bit. It is the story of the album, from beginning to end put to music. I don't think Axl has ever been more honest or sounded more likable in his career. It's just him telling about his life, opening his ribcage to his audience letting them see what he is really made of. If you are a skeptic of the record do yourself a favor take the chip off of your shoulder, put yourself in Axl's shoes and listen to this track. Don't bring your preconceived notions about what the album should be along with you for the ride just let the music be and enjoy it for what it is. It might just make a believer out of you.

People are going to hate on this album because they have been socially invited to hate it by their peers, the media and quite frankly the music industry itself. The problem with modern music and our society is we have become sheep. We go with the flow, leadership, idealism and the value of the individual have all fallen by the wayside in the name of instant gratification and cheap thrill entertainment. We have turned into a generation of faceless, spineless, forum bashing individuals who take everything personally and revel in the idea of anything we can use to entertain ourselves at the expense of someone else's feelings. We are becoming a generation of folks that love to look for reasons to feel sorry for ourselves as a distraction instead of dealing with our real thought and emotions. I think in a way this album is a much needed kick in the pants for our generation as well as our country. It says "never give up on your dreams", and if you keep navel gazing and posting fap threads on 4chan you "need to get it together" before you are 30 and end up living in your parent's basement.

Chinese Democracy the album is in fact like Chinese Democracy the event, it is an event of such great proportions it will take years for the effects to be fully realized, it is that one event that happens in your lifetime, the JFK assignation, the fall of the Berlin Wall, the twin towers of 9/11. For better or for worse it will change you and it will continue to change people and the music industry for years to come. After listening at great length to this disc I have to say other than the "swagger" I really do not miss the old GNR at all, times have changed, minds have changed and music has changed. I highly recommend getting the album on vinyl. The sound quality is fantastic, it sounds like you are in the room with the band watching them jam. Go back to vinyl everyone!!!! Since the introduction of the CD music quality has steadily gone downhill for the last 20 years.

So Axl if you really are sitting at home all alone suffering from anthropophobia, I just wanted to say thank you for releasing this album, the world needed it.

This is absolutely deranged....
How is the release of an album POSSIBLY on par with the fall of the Berlin Wall or 9/11??? If you think the two are in any way related, I honestly feel sorry for you.

And no, people have not been convinced by outsiders that they don't like the album... Some people just genuinely DON'T like the album. It did take 15+ years to come around, but in the end, it's just another album! A pro-tooled mess, in my opinion with some good songs... but nothing more than just another album.
-Rob-
Banned
Rocker

Here Today ...

« Reply #462 on: May 16, 2009, 12:26:53 PM »

And no, people have not been convinced by outsiders that they don't like the album... Some people just genuinely DON'T like the album. It did take 15+ years to come around, but in the end, it's just another album! A pro-tooled mess, in my opinion with some good songs... but nothing more than just another album.

I pretty much agree with alot of what you said. 'Chinese D' had some decent tracks, but in the end, the hype greatly exceeded anything that I personally heard. It's been awhile now since I have actually had it in my player. Personally, I think a stripped down album would have been much better. Something about the over-usage of pro-tools on an album really takes away from a song's feel. My opinion, anyway.

But in the end, it was the album that Axl spent years laboring over and I'm glad that he was happy with the final result. Even the man himself stated that it was only going to be an album. People can't get angry if they set expectations above what was promised.

carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #463 on: May 16, 2009, 12:36:25 PM »

Jesus Christ.

That review above (Ryan) ....... 
I don't mean to be a bastard, but show that post to your family man, or a bunch of new acquaintances and gauge wether they view it as healthy . Though I guess they could just be "socially invited to hate it"......Oooooh Kayyyy,

For me a really really, good album. 8/10
I'd rate CD better than Illusion I, not quite as good as Illusion II.
For me the production is patchy, sometimes AWESOME - (If the world, ) and other times thin and tinny like a demo (TWAT).......and sometimes just WAY  overproduced (Catcher)  (for people that cant 'get' that term - see plastic/manufactured/altered/non organic ), but other than that a very good album and greatly enjoyed.

Surprisingly my non GNR friends for the most part love the album though, I'm pleasantly surprised.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 12:41:06 PM by carmiedisco12 » Logged
ryan_of_lax
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #464 on: May 16, 2009, 01:19:00 PM »

hey... I was quoting another writer. I didn't write that insane review!
But I agree with what you said about the production.

Sometimes it's amazing (like how the guitars and vocals just keep building and building in the chorus of Sorry).
But other times the production detracts from the songs, in my opinion. I honestly cannot listen to Scraped because of the chopped up nagging vocals. Same goes for the intro verse in The Blues...
carmiedisco12
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #465 on: May 16, 2009, 01:40:25 PM »

Apologies, perhaps I didn't read closely enough.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: