Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:58:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Paul Tobias
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Tobias  (Read 29831 times)
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2004, 11:22:31 AM »

Come on Captain Pal, answer to that!!
Try to argue again.Try to come up with another excuse to defend him

ah christ...

its not like im defending this guy...
all i say is that dont jugde the guy unless you know them! and you cant judge if paul is a bad player.

now, if we are suposed to go with that duff said he sucked, OK. then we have to go for all the stupid things said against slash and axl and duff and the others!!

slash refused to work with GNR says axl. so i guess slash killed GNR then.

all you guys can argue with is that duff, who didnt like the guy personaly, didnt like his playing.

but i dont really give a fuck what you guys think.  peace

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2004, 12:03:57 PM »

Captain Pal:
I apologise by the way I said that: come on try!!
I was a bit pissed off...
well...
lets not give a shit about this paul guy anymore...

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Surge
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2004, 08:03:10 PM »

Hey,

Got a few things to say

1) His name is Paul TOBIAS, not Paul HUGE. For those people who consequently call him HUGE, that is disrespectful. It is probably the same thing as calling Axl William Bailey (and, no, Axl's real name is William Rose). TOBIAS is his mothers maiden name while HUGE probably is his fathers name. He changed the name because he has something against that name so let's be adults and not call him HUGE.

2) Yes, he did write "Back Off Bitch". And I saw at least one comment that "couldn't he have written anything better?" Let's not forget that "Back Off Bitch" was probably written back in Lafayette. It's old as hell and it might be the oldest GnR song. Axl was 18 when writing it which means Tobias was probably 17. If age means something (which I think it does), it was not all that bad. Hell, people say that song could've been on Appetite and would've strengthened the album! And Appetite is the best rock album ever.

3) About the Matt incident: Does anyone think of who of those two members were more important? It's obvious that it was Paul. He's gonna get songwriting credits on CD. For those of you who heard Matt's solo debut, you know it sucked. For the rest, I just quote his song "The blame game" and you will see how awful the lyrics were "I blame you, you blame me, he blames her, she blames him". Pointless crap. It went right to the trash for my part.

4) And about Slash/Paul: Someone needed a vision for the band. Slash wanted to do "It's Five O' Clock Somewhere" as GnR. That would have destroyed the band (I state that as a fact). Axl didn't want to do that and he needed people to write with him. That's where Paul fit in.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2004, 08:08:01 PM by Surge » Logged
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2004, 04:50:47 AM »

4) And about Slash/Paul: Someone needed a vision for the band. Slash wanted to do "It's Five O' Clock Somewhere" as GnR. That would have destroyed the band (I state that as a fact). Axl didn't want to do that and he needed people to write with him. That's where Paul fit in.

*Shudders*

That with the GNR name on - it wouldn't have shifted 10 copies....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Surge
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2004, 08:00:29 AM »

*Shudders*

That with the GNR name on - it wouldn't have shifted 10 copies....

Exactly... there's really few who realise that and think about it. That was what Slash, Matt and Gilby wanted to do. Duff, Dizzy and Axl disagreed. It was no one-man show, like the press like to paint the picture. People have their role and Axl is the bad guy., and then he get all the shit. I think he did the right thing and choosing from Matt and Paul was easy too. Axl couldn't keep them both in the band.

And come on those of you who say that Duff left because of Paul. Duff fuckin' was in the band till 1997! Paul joined in 1993. Duff was into the creation of the new album for a long time. Duff didn't dislike Paul that much, and he left because he didn't want to do it anymore. And he was getting a daughter too.
Snakepit__
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2004, 09:20:09 AM »

Paul Tobias Is An Ass Hole.. And He Can't Play Guitar, He Is Axl's Little Bitch..
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2004, 04:34:24 PM »

He Is Axl's Little Bitch..
And as  some once said: "Back Off, Back Off Bitch"

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Snakepit__
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2004, 04:44:08 PM »

hihi Yeah That's Right!
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2004, 02:03:12 AM »

About the Matt incident: Does anyone think of who of those two members were more important? It's obvious that it was Paul

Wow...theres nothing more puzzling than a Paul Tobias fan.  Exactly what is it that makes one a Paul Tobias fan?  Are you floored by his playing in "Sympathy For The Devil"?  Stunned by his role in writing "Back Off Bitch"?  Or just impressed by his live work?  I ask in seriousness, because I dont get it.  All of the guys in the new GNR have some kind of body of work one could point to, even if theyre just concealing the fact that theyre fans only because of the Axl affiliation - which I suspect is the case here.  "If hes okay with Axl, hes okay with me" - seems to be the general mentality with most hardcore Axl fans.
kockstar99
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2004, 06:53:42 AM »

Wow...theres nothing more puzzling than a Paul Tobias fan.  Exactly what is it that makes one a Paul Tobias fan?  Are you floored by his playing in "Sympathy For The Devil"?  Stunned by his role in writing "Back Off Bitch"?  Or just impressed by his live work?  I ask in seriousness, because I dont get it.  All of the guys in the new GNR have some kind of body of work one could point to, even if theyre just concealing the fact that theyre fans only because of the Axl affiliation - which I suspect is the case here.  "If hes okay with Axl, hes okay with me" - seems to be the general mentality with most hardcore Axl fans.

I stick up for him coz i didnt see anything wrong with him.. and everyone tears him down for no fucking reason at all...

the mentality is "If hes not cool with Slash, Matt, Duff, then hes not cool with me"

exactly as you kind of pointed out... his work was not that big on SFTD or the 4 Live shows he did... you should have no reason to love him or hate him... He works full time as an engineer and worked on the album to help his friend.. nothing more. nothing less...

He seemed like a nice guy on stage and seemed proud to be playing the opening notes on PC in Rio..

no need to hate him coz Matt and Duff do... no reason to love him coz Axl Rose does..

Id rather the old members dont air thier dirty laundry in the press about him. Hes just a guy with a famous as fuck friend who plays rock n roll for a hobby..
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2004, 02:34:36 PM »

I stick up for him coz i didnt see anything wrong with him.. and everyone tears him down for no fucking reason at all...

Well, no.  People tear him down for his role in tearing apart the band, and because they dont like his playing.  

Secondly, Im not asking why you stick up for him, Im asking why you would want to "bring back Paul Huge".

exactly as you kind of pointed out... his work was not that big on SFTD or the 4 Live shows he did... you should have no reason to love him or hate him...

I doubt people hate him, but they dont care for him, dont appreciate his "contributions" to the band and dont want to see him in the band.

He works full time as an engineer and worked on the album to help his friend.. nothing more. nothing less...

Judging from Duff and Matts stories (and others), he was a little more and a factor in the bands falling apart.

He seemed like a nice guy on stage and seemed proud to be playing the opening notes on PC in Rio..

confused

Well, that settles it.  He seems like a nice guy, and seems proud to play?!  I guess all the criticism is undeserved then, he really should be in GNR because he looks like a nice guy.

no need to hate him coz Matt and Duff do... no reason to love him coz Axl Rose does..

Its not hate, and its not because of Matt and Duff.  Its because he hasnt done anything to actually be a fan of, and has done a lot more bad for the band than good.

Id rather the old members dont air thier dirty laundry in the press about him.

Theyre just being honest.

Hes just a guy with a famous as fuck friend who plays rock n roll for a hobby..

Guys who play rock n' roll for a hobby shouldnt be using their famous friends to slide their way into the worlds greatest rock band.  His presence was obviously not wanted by the rest of the band, but because its Axls friend, youve gotta defend him.  His role seems very Yoko Ono-ish to me.  Claiming constantly that he should be brought back, thats irrational.
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2004, 04:33:22 PM »

Is it possible that Axl asked his friend to play guitar on a track and Paul agreed to help his friend out?

"Hey Paul, we don't have a rhythm guitarist at the moment, could you play on this track?"

Do you think Duff, Matt and Slash were at the studio telling him "Hey Paul, get the fuck out of here. We don't like you being here."?

As always, we haven't heard Paul's side of the story. We've heard about this mostly from people who left or were fired. Axl's side of the story mentions how Paul was there to write.

In case you've forgotten it, when GN'R went out on tour Paul was replaced by Richard..... Whatever the reason is, he didn't tour with the band. Is it possible that this was the idea?

/jarmo
« Last Edit: April 25, 2004, 04:34:26 PM by jarmo » Logged

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2004, 05:35:15 PM »

Is it possible that Axl asked his friend to play guitar on a track and Paul agreed to help his friend out?

"Hey Paul, we don't have a rhythm guitarist at the moment, could you play on this track?"

Its possible, in which case that would be Axls fault since he was making uch decisions without the consent of the band, even sneaking him onto tracks without the others knowledge.  

So it might be a little unfair to place such blame squarely on Tobias, but the point remains that he simply didnt belong.  And stories from Matt and Duff suggest that he wasnt completely innocent in all of this, either.

Do you think Duff, Matt and Slash were at the studio telling him "Hey Paul, get the fuck out of here. We don't like you being here."?

Dont know...From the sounds of it, they werent in the studio with him much.  But do I think they wanted him in the band?  Absolutely not.  But who cares what they think, its gotta be Axls way.

As always, we haven't heard Paul's side of the story. We've heard about this mostly from people who left or were fired.

So is their story any less valid because they quit/were fired.  If Paul was a part of the reason they left, it only makes sense that they give their accounts the way they did.  If Matt was pissed about Paul disrespecting Slash and told him so, is he supposed to change the story to make Paul look good?

Axl's side of the story mentions how Paul was there to write.

Well if Paul was just there to write, its odd that hes playing on "SFTD" and doing live shows (and he played on "OMG" too, right?).

In case you've forgotten it, when GN'R went out on tour Paul was replaced by Richard..... Whatever the reason is, he didn't tour with the band. Is it possible that this was the idea?

I dont know why he was replaced, but I know that 1) Im glad he was and 2) he did play live a few times with the band - he seemed like a member at the time.

Like I said, I dont want to necessarily paint Tobias as a bad guy, but by most accounts, however innocent he might have been, his presence in GNR was a problem.  Maybe thats Axls fault, but thats just how it is.  So in the long run, it appears hes done more harm than good.  Thats all.  And if theres any reason that one would call themselves a fan of the guy, Id honestly like to hear it.  
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2004, 05:56:11 PM »

first, why the fuck didn't they use gilby on sftd, he was still jamming with slash and them at the time??? second, how can a guy walk into a band and join them without the bands blessing if you will?? he can never have felt welcome so why didn't he stay back??

i do think it's a bit different with him joining i concert, although he has the stage presence as a mic stand as someone stated earlier, if that was needed for the gig happening... but again, why the fuck didn't they have him step in at rir4??

got to give the fucker credit tho, it takes some serious balls fucking with a guitar legends guitar parts confused

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2004, 09:01:19 PM »

first, why the fuck didn't they use gilby on sftd, he was still jamming with slash and them at the time???

Well, probably because Axl was around and allways watching everything and I can?t imagine what would have hapened if Axl had entered the studio and watched Gilby with the rest of the band recording.
"Hey guy how are you...?what???!!! what is this asshole doing in my stuio playing withy my band, get the hell out of here!!!!!!"
Yes it is posible,indeed.But Paul can?t have been a "little help" from 1994 to 2001, in wich he was considered as a band member.....

kockstar99
« Reply #55 on: April 26, 2004, 01:47:50 AM »

Well, no.  People tear him down for his role in tearing apart the band, and because they dont like his playing.
Those people have no idea what happened and are just taking Duff and Slash's word as fact... yourself included.
If you dont like his playing fine. but I dont think you have heard enough of it to judge. You can hear him on ONE fucking show and that was his BIGGEST one yet.  SFTD? its not an original song and he didnt write that music. but the song sounds fucking great. Go ahead and say its shit or its only great coz of Slash or what ever lame ass excuse you want to make to tear the man down..

Secondly, Im not asking why you stick up for him, Im asking why you would want to "bring back Paul Huge".
I dont want to bring him back. I like Richard. I just put that there to show support for the man and to say that if he were ever back on stage with the band I would support it coz I saw nothing wrong with his work...

I doubt people hate him, but they dont care for him, dont appreciate his "contributions" to the band and dont want to see him in the band.
Why not?? We have no idea what his "contributions" to the band were. If Slash or Duff would have never said anyting bad about him you wouldnt either...

Judging from Duff and Matts stories (and others), he was a little more and a factor in the bands falling apart.
There you go... judging from only Matt and Duff's Storys..  Matt was fired...

Duff stayed the longest with Axl while Paul was helping or "filling" in so Duff obviously didnt have too much of a problem as he stayed about 4 years with the two...

Well, that settles it.  He seems like a nice guy, and seems proud to play?!  I guess all the criticism is undeserved then, he really should be in GNR because he looks like a nice guy.
I never said that.. Stop trying make somthing out of nothing..I made an observation about him from the only Video of him playing on stage.... and hes not in GnR...

Its not hate, and its not because of Matt and Duff.  Its because he hasnt done anything to actually be a fan of, and has done a lot more bad for the band than good.
you are sooo backwards... If Matt and Duff had never said anything bad about him you wouldnt either...
you say "he hasnt done anyting to actually be a fan of"
so that in turn would also say he hasnt done anything to actually dislike him for either... what? one show?? you have seen him in one show...

"hes done a lot more bad for the band than good"
How the fuck would you know??  Honestly why would you say somthing that fucking stupid? I read the majority of your posts coz for the most part they are intelligent and backed up with facts or your opinions and thoughts on why.. but why would you say this??

you have no idea what your fucking talking about here...
With out him you wouldnt have ANY of the 2001 RIO or Vegas shows..

Theyre just being honest.
you dont know that... you dont know them... you dont know Paul Huge.. your choosing to belive the ex members

Guys who play rock n' roll for a hobby shouldnt be using their famous friends to slide their way into the worlds greatest rock band.  
I dont think he did.. Hes not in the band.. he never was.. he helped his friend.. If he wanted to be in the band and be on tour HE WOULD BE IN THE BAND

His presence was obviously not wanted by the rest of the band,
Thats very hipocritical of them and you to say since his presence has been there since day FUCKING ONE... read the linear notes for AFD.

but because its Axls friend, youve gotta defend him.
no i told you why i defend him...

his role seems very Yoko Ono-ish to me.
oh geee where did you hear that one?? now your taking Matt Sorums comment as your own??? how kewl...

Claiming constantly that he should be brought back, thats irrational.
I have never said he sould be brought back unless they need a fill in guitarist.. like as it seems right now,  I like Richard Fortus.. he fucking rocks...

The only thing irrational is the fact that you have given no reason of your own to dislike him..
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #56 on: April 26, 2004, 09:25:25 AM »

There you go... judging from only Matt and Duff's Storys..  Matt was fired...

Duff stayed the longest with Axl while Paul was helping or "filling" in so Duff obviously didnt have too much of a problem as he stayed about 4 years with the two...

Its Matts story, Duffs story, and its essentially become common knowledge...

"In 1996, everything fell apart when Rose, allegedly acting like an angry dictator, insisted on including childhood friend Paul Huge on recording sessions. Clarke was shut out of the group, while the tension between Rose and Slash reached its breaking point over the final cut of the band?s cover of ?Sympathy for the Devil.? Rose had replaced original cuts with those of Huge without consent from the band." - Rollingstone.com

"The source also hinted that one of the so-far-unreported factors leading to the split between Axl and Slash is the presence of longtime Axl friend Paul Huge during the Guns recording sessions. Huge, a boyhood friend of the mercurial singer from Indiana, who received co-writing credit on the Guns last proper album, 1991's Use Your Illusion I on the song "Back Off Bitch," has reportedly been tapped as Rose's writing partner for the new album, although to everyone "except Axl" it's unclear if he's a full-fledged member of the band. According to the source, Huge's presence didn't sit well with Slash, who reportedly has "creative and personal" differences with the latest Rose writing collaborator, which played a part in his decision to leave the band "for now, because you never know with these guys." - Addicted To Noise

Are all these guys lying?  Or is it just how things went down?  If Matt and Duff both say the Huge was a negative force for them, theyre being honest.  Theres obviously something there, and since Paul caused those feelings, theres no doubt that hes been more harmful to the band than helpful.  

"There is a funny story to "Sympathy...". When the movie came out (in the US) a couple of months ago, Geffen called and said, "Could you do us a favor?" That movie coming out was a big issue for me, because the books ("The Vampire trilogy" by Anne Rice) were great. They have a real kind of passion in there --a sort of dark romanticism - and I'm a real heavy-duty, old time vampire horror movie freak. And it was like Tom Cruise AND Brad Pitt? No fuckking way!
   So I got this call saying would we do "Sympathy For The Devil" for the movie. I thought, "well okay, maybe it'll be a vehicle to get the band back together and get the wheels in motion for some pre-production stuff." So I went to the screening in one of those stiff theatres full of showbiz fucking suits, and I'm half asleep! I'm not having a good time, and I couldn't just get up and leave, so I was trying to be cool. I started smoking some cigarettes, which is not something you're meant to do in an LA cinema... it's like murder! So I got up and left before the lights went out. I have to say Tom Cruise did the best he could, but the film's laughable to me. The Stones' version of the song was playing in the same place ours was meant to be. Anyway, I got up and went home. I called Doug (Goldstein) and said, "Leave it: the Stones' version's fine. There's no need to do a song that doesn't need to be redone."
   Then Axl went to see the film the next day, and it's inevitable that he likes it and comes out of the movie completely at odds with me! It just goes with the territory - I love this singer/lead guitarist relationship in bands... it's just f**king stupid! So Axl went and saw it and said he loved it. He was ecstatic. "Let's do the song!" he says. So I said "okay".
   We show up at the studio... who shows up? Matt, Duff and I. That was it. Paul Huge came in with Axl a couple of days later. While we were doing it (recording the song), we had to write down how many bars each section was, because without vocals you don't know where the next change is going to come. But we got it done and the guitar solos on and everything, and then Axl went in to do vocals... and the next thing you know, there's this "answer" guitar going on during my guitar solo! It's Paul Huge! I will probably never forgive Axl for that. But we talked about it. We made a deal that if Paul ever plays on anything, then I should at least be told first, because it really took me off guard. I wasn't there when he did it.
   Axl likes the song. I haven't listened to it since it was mixed. It's not like it was lousy guitar playing or anything; I think it's how it went down. If people like it, then fine. I haven't gone to see the movie again again because I don't think I could bear it." - Slash (Kerrang! 1995)

Now Slash is being somewhat diplomatic about it because he was still in the band at that time, but its obvious that Huges presence was causing problems, even if it was really Axls fault for the most part.  Simple as that.  

kockstar99
« Reply #57 on: April 26, 2004, 10:23:14 AM »

I feel for Slash,  He didnt really want to do the song and then when he did and it was not what he wanted and done with no input from him then i can see why he would say "fuck this'...

I feel for Paul, Axl asked him to do something and still 8 years later people wont forgive or forget that he was only doing a friend a favor..

Thanks for digging those up by the way......
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #58 on: April 26, 2004, 03:04:32 PM »

I feel for Paul, Axl asked him to do something and still 8 years later people wont forgive or forget that he was only doing a friend a favor..
Yeah...I'm sure thats all that happened.  Slash, Duff and Matt don't like him just because he played on Sympathy for the Devil?

Sure, if my friend who happened to be in the most famous band in the world happened to ask me to play guitar on a track, i'd jump at the chance.
If the lead guitarist and the bassist who were both founding members in said band then told me my playing was crap and they didn't want it on their material, I would totally respect that.
And i'd take Steven Adler over Sorum any day of the week, but if my friend fired Matt Sorum because he didn't like the way the band was run, or me, and spoke his mind, then I wouldn't stand back and let it happen...I'd talk some sense into my friend who'd 'just asked me for a favour'...

But I guess i'm just fucked up.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
kockstar99
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2004, 12:46:39 AM »

Sure, if my friend who happened to be in the most famous band in the world happened to ask me to play guitar on a track, i'd jump at the chance.
If the lead guitarist and the bassist who were both founding members in said band then told me my playing was crap and they didn't want it on their material, I would totally respect that.
And i'd take Steven Adler over Sorum any day of the week, but if my friend fired Matt Sorum because he didn't like the way the band was run, or me, and spoke his mind, then I wouldn't stand back and let it happen...I'd talk some sense into my friend who'd 'just asked me for a favour'...

But I guess i'm just fucked up.

you talk about it like you know what happened .. get real... more "I hate Paul coz slash and duff said he broke the band up"....

drool
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: