Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 09:13:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227798 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Paul Tobias
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paul Tobias  (Read 29839 times)
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2004, 03:19:43 AM »

Ok, I know most of you guys don't like the song, but I do. Oh My God was Axl/Paul, if I'm not wrong, and I love this song. I know, there's not that much to hear what Paul play in this tune (I guess that licks after the solo and before the final "oh my god, I can't deny this..."), but I'm sure he co-wrote the whole thing.
About SFTD, I really like his "mirror guitar". I think it's cool and, IMO, way better than anything Gilby did in TSI.
About the gigs he did: he bring back most of the guitar work that Izzy made back in AFD. And that's was really nice to me, 'cause I hate when I hear Rocket Queen with Gilby and his lazy playing with just power chords. Of course I would like to hear Izzy, but as he's not in the band anymore, I like what Paul did.
But, of course I like more Richard than Paul... But you know, 90% of Fortus work in the new songs are wrote by Paul, even if he did improve this parts.
I'm with kockstar99 and Captain Pal. Altought he's not that good guitar player, he's better than Gilby and he did bring back the elaborate rhythm guitar work to GNR.

blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #61 on: April 28, 2004, 10:42:36 AM »

Paul Tobias was a fuckin? bad guitarrist.
I bet I?m a better guitarr player than him.

Indeed...seeing as you can't spell 'guitar'  Roll Eyes

Altought he's not that good guitar player, he's better than Gilby and he did bring back the elaborate rhythm guitar work to GNR

Dude, are you on smokes?! Izzy never did any elaborate guitar work! And Gilby's been quoted as saying he played Izzy's stuff and then some extra stuff that the band liked...so explain that to me! And to add to that, I'd like to see you learn 40 songs in 2 weeks and then go on a fully sold-out world tour with the biggest rock band in the world...

Gilby's a kickass player as well...and had done notably more gigs and played some of his own material (which was good stuff) before he joined Guns.

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2004, 12:19:10 PM »

wow, man! i never meant he was better than Gilby! Gilby is THE man Cheesy

what i meant was that everybody hated Pauls playing even before they heard him....

but Paul aint a bad guitarist either.. he is better than me  ok

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2004, 01:33:05 PM »

Paul Tobias was a fuckin? bad guitarrist.
I bet I?m a better guitarr player than him.

Indeed...seeing as you can't spell 'guitar'  Roll Eyes

Oh my god!!!One fucking r is that bad??I was  writing fast guy, and If I  con spel guitar right, so what?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 02:24:22 PM by jarmo » Logged

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2004, 01:34:17 PM »

wow, man! i never meant he was better than Gilby! Gilby is THE man Cheesy

what i meant was that everybody hated Pauls playing even before they heard him....

but Paul aint a bad guitarist either.. he is better than me  ok

What??I highly doubt it

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2004, 02:35:47 PM »

Sure, if my friend who happened to be in the most famous band in the world happened to ask me to play guitar on a track, i'd jump at the chance.
If the lead guitarist and the bassist who were both founding members in said band then told me my playing was crap and they didn't want it on their material, I would totally respect that.
And i'd take Steven Adler over Sorum any day of the week, but if my friend fired Matt Sorum because he didn't like the way the band was run, or me, and spoke his mind, then I wouldn't stand back and let it happen...I'd talk some sense into my friend who'd 'just asked me for a favour'...

But I guess i'm just fucked up.

you talk about it like you know what happened .. get real... more "I hate Paul coz slash and duff said he broke the band up"....

I don't hate him...I don't know him...I just don't like what I think he did to GN'R.  I don't think he singlehandedly broke up GN'R...Guns N' Roses destroyed Guns N' Roses...but Paul Tobias didn't help to fix Guns N' Roses, or contribute anything particularly constructive.  Ok, he played some extra bits in the SFTD solo which I think are pretty cool.  Whether I liked it or not is however irrelevant.  It pissed Slash off.  Slash left GN'R because Axl did things behind his back.  Like bringing in a guitar player who SLASH, DUFF AND MATT THOUGHT WAS CRAP.

All three have commented on Tobias.  All three didn't like his playing, and questioned his ability.  Gilby got screwed because of this guy.

I don't know what happened, other than what the former memebers have said in interviews (Axl has never disputed any of the things they've said about Tobias), but I do know what Slash, Duff and Matt thought of Paul Tobias...and that is enough for me to judge him.  There is no reason for them to lie about it.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
kockstar99
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2004, 12:07:01 AM »

Sure, if my friend who happened to be in the most famous band in the world happened to ask me to play guitar on a track, i'd jump at the chance.
If the lead guitarist and the bassist who were both founding members in said band then told me my playing was crap and they didn't want it on their material, I would totally respect that.
And i'd take Steven Adler over Sorum any day of the week, but if my friend fired Matt Sorum because he didn't like the way the band was run, or me, and spoke his mind, then I wouldn't stand back and let it happen...I'd talk some sense into my friend who'd 'just asked me for a favour'...

But I guess i'm just fucked up.

you talk about it like you know what happened .. get real... more "I hate Paul coz slash and duff said he broke the band up"....

I don't hate him...I don't know him...I just don't like what I think he did to GN'R.  I don't think he singlehandedly broke up GN'R...Guns N' Roses destroyed Guns N' Roses...but Paul Tobias didn't help to fix Guns N' Roses, or contribute anything particularly constructive.  Ok, he played some extra bits in the SFTD solo which I think are pretty cool.  Whether I liked it or not is however irrelevant.  It pissed Slash off.  Slash left GN'R because Axl did things behind his back.  Like bringing in a guitar player who SLASH, DUFF AND MATT THOUGHT WAS CRAP.

All three have commented on Tobias.  All three didn't like his playing, and questioned his ability.  Gilby got screwed because of this guy.

I don't know what happened, other than what the former memebers have said in interviews (Axl has never disputed any of the things they've said about Tobias), but I do know what Slash, Duff and Matt thought of Paul Tobias...and that is enough for me to judge him.  There is no reason for them to lie about it.

that sounds fair and are good reasons... no argument here...
Surge
« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2004, 12:53:58 PM »

About the Matt incident: Does anyone think of who of those two members were more important? It's obvious that it was Paul

Wow...theres nothing more puzzling than a Paul Tobias fan.  Exactly what is it that makes one a Paul Tobias fan?  Are you floored by his playing in "Sympathy For The Devil"?  Stunned by his role in writing "Back Off Bitch"?  Or just impressed by his live work?  I ask in seriousness, because I dont get it.  All of the guys in the new GNR have some kind of body of work one could point to, even if theyre just concealing the fact that theyre fans only because of the Axl affiliation - which I suspect is the case here.  "If hes okay with Axl, hes okay with me" - seems to be the general mentality with most hardcore Axl fans.

Um... I would not consider myself a PT fan. You're right that there's no reason to be. But considering the fact that Axl kicked Matt and not Paul - as long as considering Axl a rational person - I think it's clear that PT was way more important. That's also backed up by the fact that Tobias can really write music, which Matt really, really can't.

Other than that, it's cool to see this discussion taking place in a good way. Just wanna add that Gilby wasn't fired, he finished his contract and wanted to continue, but didn't get to. That was because of Axl, but Axl did it because Gilby would not be capable of taking over Izzy's role. And Slash wouldn't too. Or Duff.
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2004, 04:23:43 PM »

Altought he's not that good guitar player, he's better than Gilby and he did bring back the elaborate rhythm guitar work to GNR

Dude, are you on smokes?! Izzy never did any elaborate guitar work! And Gilby's been quoted as saying he played Izzy's stuff and then some extra stuff that the band liked...so explain that to me! And to add to that, I'd like to see you learn 40 songs in 2 weeks and then go on a fully sold-out world tour with the biggest rock band in the world...

Gilby's a kickass player as well...and had done notably more gigs and played some of his own material (which was good stuff) before he joined Guns.
Izzy never did any elaborate guitar work? Wow, so I guess I'm on smokes, 'cause I heard a wonderful job in Rocket Queen, One In A Million... Did you heard those songs with onle the left speak on? You should try...
BTW, you can pick any RQ with Izzy and with Gilby and don't tell me that Gilby didn't throw out all the rhythm work that Izzy wrote. That's what Paul Tobias did: he learned the Izzy parts and played like him.
I dunno about Gilby skills in his solo albuns, I just heard a couple of songs. He sure did a great job when he learned 40 songs in 2 weeks, but it seems that he had to simplify some songs to learn faster. But, after one year, he should try to learn some songs better...
On a side note: I'm not trying to be better than Paul, Gilby or Izzy. I can play those guys parts, but they wrote that songs and I didn't (neither Gilby).

Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #69 on: May 02, 2004, 07:12:11 PM »

I dunno about Gilby skills in his solo albuns, I just heard a couple of songs. He sure did a great job when he learned 40 songs in 2 weeks, but it seems that he had to simplify some songs to learn faster

Exactly, how can you expect any guitarrist to learn 40 songs in two weeks perfectly?

But, after one year, he should try to learn some songs better...
Yeah, you  are richt in that one

DeadHorse
Rocker

Where's my cinder block

« Reply #70 on: June 25, 2004, 12:21:25 AM »

Um... I would not consider myself a PT fan. You're right that there's no reason to be. But considering the fact that Axl kicked Matt and not Paul - as long as considering Axl a rational person - I think it's clear that PT was way more important. That's also backed up by the fact that Tobias can really write music, which Matt really, really can't.

I beg to differ. Matt can write music. It was his riff for "Set Me Free" that won best riff last year in Guitar World. I know we'll never see paula get any honourable mentions like that.

As for Axl being more rational, well Axl thought paula was more important that Slash.

So tell me, how rational is that?  

Books are useless! I only ever read one book, ?To Kill A Mockingbird,? and it gave me absolutely no insight on how to kill mockingbirds.
Malcolm
Legend

You're In The Jungle Toronto,You're Gonna Dieee

« Reply #71 on: June 25, 2004, 10:57:59 AM »

Paul kicks ass...end of story...he was there to help axl as a friend,on a professional level and was there at rio so we could all see a gnr comeback show....

I Dont Want To Change The World,I Dont Want The World To Change Me
RockiesGirl
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2006, 04:01:09 PM »

All the speculation about Paul (through the years) on this thread is a joke. I'll read it closer, but from I saw, it's nothing but misinformed specualtion, no truth.

Paul is awesome - I have been following his work since the late 80's and have never been disappointed once with his musical talent. He is also a hell of a guy along with the other Mank Rage guys. Listen to his work here... www.mankrage.net. The songs are older - from the early to mid 1990's and they are awesome. They have only gotten better over the years and when the time is right -- their CD will be on the shelves. His talent speaks for itself.

Crazy thing is that, since Paul did a lot of studio work for GNR, very few people know who they are hearing on a track. You praise one song thinking it isn't him and it is. You bash a song thinking it is him... and it's not even him. Until you have facts to back up your statements, save yourself the stress and drama.

Cool
« Last Edit: September 06, 2006, 11:59:49 PM by RockiesGirl » Logged
hank
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2006, 04:40:30 PM »

right on girl..wellspoken/typed...they keep rehashing the same s#@t...these new tracks have paul all over them, and they praise the guitar work and bash paul. he can play you f$#@$%g idiots, get over it. listen to the first snakepit record..now imagine it released as gnr...now go ahead and puke and get over it...like i said b4...if you are an axl fan then you are a paul fan..if he indeed had the power to break up one of the biggest bands of all time, then i would like to have some of that voodoo.
del5150
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2006, 09:50:17 AM »

someone help me out here please?...i recall a quote from axl about paul where axl stated that if it wasn't for paul, there wouldn't be a gnr. do any of you fans or bashers of paul recall this quote?
all of the gnr fans owe paul a thank you  for stepping up to the plate and accepting axl's offer to work with him...as far as that offer goes... do you think axl would have made the offer if he wasn't confident about paul's talent and capability as a creative force as a songwriter and guitarist?
axl is not a fool who would make such an offer to someone to work with based on friendship alone...after all, this is big business, and axl knows the business.i also think that paul would have refused the offer if he hadn't felt up to it. we are talking mutual respect here between two music artists.
fans will be fans... and bashers will be ignorant... enuff said for now
Alina
Rocker

« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2006, 01:03:17 PM »

I dont think that paul is Yoko Ono for GNR . the band had problems before he join them , and its realy anfair to blaim paul for Problems that GNR had in those years.

sic.
id est
VIP

i wrote don't cry

« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2006, 03:16:46 PM »

Ok, I know most of you guys don't like the song, but I do. Oh My God was Axl/Paul, if I'm not wrong, and I love this song

Agreed. I do like the song as well. IMO It's a bit unfairly pooped-on, partly because it was the first GNR song released with only Axl from the original lineup. I wager that if it would've leaked around the same time as Better and TWAT, the response (as well as the song itself, likely) would've been different.

There's no logic here today / Do as you got to, go your own way / I said that's right / Time's short your life's your own / And in the end / We are just...
Voodoochild
Natural Born Miller
Legend

Mostly impressive

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2006, 04:06:44 PM »

Ok, I know most of you guys don't like the song, but I do. Oh My God was Axl/Paul, if I'm not wrong, and I love this song

Agreed. I do like the song as well. IMO It's a bit unfairly pooped-on, partly because it was the first GNR song released with only Axl from the original lineup. I wager that if it would've leaked around the same time as Better and TWAT, the response (as well as the song itself, likely) would've been different.
Agreed. I guess if Rhiad and OMG were leaked this year (without being previous released/played live), people would get a better response...

My post is more than two years old, but I stand in my opinion.. Paul brought an excelent work and I guess people will see this once the album be released.

KIKO2K6
Happy as a Pig in Shit
VIP

I am a ''ROCKER''

« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2006, 02:08:44 AM »

I think Paul was cool on Rock in Rio3,he did the Rocket Queen solo pretty well great vibe on that show. ok

The New Interpretation of a Masterwerk!!!!

http://www.angelfire.com/art2/kikoalbuquerque/

Chinese Democracy Starts....sometime between now and November 25th !
hank
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2006, 10:01:05 PM »

I think he handled it great.....how many people were at rio 3? ..he certainly did not run scared or hide behind his amp.......although I have video of him puking onstage....lol
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: