Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:17:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Interview with Douglas Grean about VR's Contraband
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interview with Douglas Grean about VR's Contraband  (Read 7466 times)
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« on: February 19, 2004, 08:04:02 PM »

Thanks to Scash's post, taken from www.VelvetRevolverForum.com
---------------------------------------------------------------

This is an exclusive interview off www.Velvet-Revolver.org Fansite:

Velvet-Revolver.org has made a small interview to the producer Douglas Grean ( http://www.douglasgrean.com ) on the upcoming Velvet Revolver's debut album called "Contraband".
Grean is producer and friend of Scott Weiland (Velvet Revolver's singer) and recording the Velvet Revolver's show at the El Rey theatre, to be released as an E.P. in October 2003 through Immortal Records, then the E.P. was scrapped by VR's management (Immortal Ent.).

Douglas has recorded with Scott all vocal parts of "Contraband" at Lavish studios, he has been very kind with us and he has replied to all our questions. Thanks a lot DAG!!
Source: www-Velvet-Revolver.org

Thank you so much to Douglas Grean ( http://www.douglasgrean.com ) for his helpfulness and the interview!!
Here is the Grean's interview by www.Velvet-Revolver.org:

1) Question by V-R.org: Meanwhile, that all fans wait with anxiety the first VR's album called 'Contraband', can you express a personal opinion on the music (like drum parts or guitars/bass lines) of that record?

Answer by DAG: Well I think the fans of early STP and GNR are going to really love this record. It goes back and reclaims the greatness of the first STP record. It's very hard straight ahead rock and roll. With the benefit of all the years of experience those guys have collectively. I think everyone is playing better then they ever have. Especially Slash he is just ripping on this record.

2) Question by V-R.org: Now that the VR's debut album is done, how you will described it in few words?

Answer by DAG: I guess I'd called it "Hard American Rock and Roll". It's the real thing. What other bands try and achieve.

3) Question by V-R.org: Sorry for my pressure, but you have recorded all songs of 'Contraband' with Scott (I think at the Lavish studios) and you have worked with him in the past, can you make an evalutation of lyrics and melodies writed by Scott for 'Contraband'?

Answer by DAG: Scott's a great lyricist and melody writer. And his harmonies are impeccable. On this record he really shines at all these things, I think this record is different in that he had nothing holding him back. It was a clean slate, everyone had fresh legs.

4) Question by V-R.org: Moreover, we know that Scott has used the megaphone to record some songs of 'Contraband' (as seen in your old photos), has he used others effects or distortions to change his voice in it?

Answer by DAG: He's kind of an effects addict. Typically in the last few years he's been partial to doubler, medium and long delays and filters. The megaphone is just another way to filter a vocal. It's quick and easy and adds a little distortion at the same time. We actually had 2 megaphones on this record. Each having a different unique sound.

5) Question by V-R.org: Finally, what do you think of the riffs of Slash in 'Contraband'? And what do you think of Dave?

Answer by DAG: Well like I said before I think Slash is playing better then ever. And he gets to play a lot on this record. There are solos on every song and that's great. You don't hold a card as good as Slash and not play him. Dave is the perfect foil for Slash. In every way that Slash is a traditional rock guitarist Dave is non traditional and modern and this dynamic really works in the context of Velvet Revolver. Dave came up with some super cool sounds and parts that really brought the record and the sound of the group to a different level.

6) Question by V-R.org: As we haven't talked of Velvet Revolver's rhythm section, what do you think of Duff and Matt as musicians? How you see their union in this band?

Answer by DAG: I think Duff and Matt are about the best rhythm section you can find. They have been playing together forever and are both amazing musicians. That's "the" recipe for an awesome groove!

7) Question by V-R.org: We know that you have recorded the VR's show at the El Rey theatre (as seen in your old pics), where the band has performed live "Slither". Therefore, you have listened live the song, but in a different way by audience. Well, what's your opinion on "Slither"? Is it a good choice for a single?

Answer by DAG: I think Slither is a good choice for the first single. It's certainly a "hit". I think it was hard for the band and the label to pick a first single because there was so many good songs to pick from. But Slither was picked because it's an obvious hit and it's uptempo and hard with a great chorus. Usually the record label picks a fast, hard, hook laden song for first single and this was the obvious choice..

In my question to Douglas Grean on the possibility to see guests on "Contraband", he reply me that there aren't guests on VR's debut album.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
liquidvirus
Mechanical Animal
VIP

Gettin Down and Dirrrty

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 12:53:28 AM »

man this exciting.....VR are gonna be awesome
and those comments on slash....wow!!! jus cannot wait to hear the album....plus it has solos on every song ok

Life is like a penis most people don't know it
But most people suck so they usually blow it.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 09:11:42 AM »

Yeah man! No St. Anger b.s. here baby!
PhillyRiot
I'm super, thanks for asking
Banned
VIP

Please Return to Philly

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 02:58:55 PM »

I like what I am hearing rock fans!

I don't need the Internet to be a GNR fan.

www.myspace.com/earl31   Talk Radio Pranks
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 06:27:32 PM »

I like what I am hearing rock fans!

Ur right - sounds awesome, really starting to look forward to this!

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 08:53:44 PM »

I can't wait!! it's gonna be awesome!! yes peace

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: