Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:01:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Slash:"Axl burnt more than gnr ever earned"
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash:"Axl burnt more than gnr ever earned"  (Read 57709 times)
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« on: February 20, 2004, 11:14:57 PM »

Does anyone have any ideas about what Slash could possibly be referring to?

To me it sounds like he is saying that Axl took money out of his/the band's pocket...
But their money's are paid to each of them individually... so how is that even possible.

I don't get it.
Can anyone enlighten me?

thanks
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 11:25:25 PM »

It means axl is in debt. It means that he spent more than he ever earned. You think his house was cheap?

Also remember in the making of november rain video where axl said if he bought back the video it would take all the money he had.

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
axlsalinger
Rocker

All I got, is precious time...

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 11:31:22 PM »

I can only assume he means that some of Axl's actions cost the band a lot of money. These probably include:

- the expensive music videos ... how many other bands spend over a million dollars on their 5th or 6th music video, as GNR did with Estranged? (Not that I'm knocking it, I love the Estranged video).

- legal fees / issues ... Two words: Montreal. St. Louis

- the extravagant nightly parties on the UYI tour

When all is said and done,
We're not the only ones,
Who look at life this way
Buritoking
I Voted for a Third Party Candidate
Rocker

- It's Good To Be The King -

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 11:33:36 PM »

It means axl is in debt. It means that he spent more than he ever earned. You think his house was cheap?

Also remember in the making of november rain video where axl said if he bought back the video it would take all the money he had.

Now if you ask me, which I realize noone did, but your gonan listen to me anyway. I highly dobut Axl is in debt, he turly was the smartest business man in the group, so I'm sure he still has alot of money. I'm sure all the band members do, with the way the CD's still move, especially AFD. Also if Axl was in debt, we probably would have: a) surely seen Chinese Democracy a long time ago, b) heard he was in debt, c) not seen him buying 5000 dollar neon signs. Just a thought.
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 11:37:47 PM »

It could be key when slash said this? Do we even know? Axl could of been in bad financial shape at a time and now with royalties and better financial planning be ok.

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 11:38:31 PM »

if Axl was in debt, we probably would... not see him buying 5000 dollar neon signs. Just a thought.

ok

As far as what the videos cost....   the band doesn't pay for the video... the record company does.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 11:39:31 PM by Eva GnRAxlRosette » Logged
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 11:40:33 PM »

It could be key when slash said this? Do we even know? Axl could of been in bad financial shape at a time and now with royalties and better financial planning be ok.

its from a recent interview he gave
duffman
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2004, 11:44:25 PM »

Why does everyone assume Axl is the best buisness man.  What has Axl done to prove that he's such a good buisness man other than cancelling tours, and not showing up to shows?
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2004, 11:48:01 PM »

Eva, i think he was trying to say that Axl got most of the money from their old collaboration and blew a lot of it on big projects-- Slash has often mentioned his problem with Axl's "vision" and i think that part of this vision was in how Axl wanted to spend the band's money. Slash is probably bitter that he was too fucked up all the time to properly negotiate his way into more money (and i am not dissing Slash, i love Slash, but Axl did work those guys).
Crowebar
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 12:17:30 AM »

Slash is a fucking liar. Shocked Huh [headscratch]

Axl alone was worth over a hundred million dollars the last time I heard. confused

That's right. beer

Looks like this on paper people:-$100,000,000.00

That was in like '93/'94. nervous

How much do you all think he's worth now after sitting back and collecting royalties and making wise investments?

Axl's not in debt. How the fuck could he be??? Wink

Axl's very, very fucking rich and will never want for nothing. drool

Give me a fucking break with all of the whining from fucking ex-heroin addict Slash. Roll Eyes

He wasted tons of money on drugs and should stop blaming Axl for all this shit and take responsibilty for himself.

Rock N' Roll will never die. [headbanger]

echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2004, 12:29:28 AM »

100 million ... talk about pulling numbers out of your ass ...

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
Crowebar
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2004, 12:40:51 AM »

100 million ... talk about pulling numbers out of your ass ...

I didn't pull any numbers out of my ass you shit-disturber!!! rant

This was reported in a major magazine at the time and I actually heard about it on the radio.

The DJ's were blown-away by how much Axl was worth and discussed it in great length.

Do some research and you'll see that I wasn't pulling numbers out of my ass. Angry
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2004, 01:04:02 AM »

I don't buy 100 million for 1 second, there's just no way.

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2004, 01:13:51 AM »

I'm sure Axl's doing just fine financially but I'd have to see documentation of the $100 million figure to believe it..

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2004, 01:31:21 AM »

i think slash is a bitter lying bastard to be honest, i think everyday of his  life he regrets quitting guns n roses, i think he thought he was more famous than what he really was and once he quit axl he thought he could just take off and be successful on his own and he found out real quick he couldnt

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2004, 02:13:45 AM »

i think slash is a bitter lying bastard to be honest, i think everyday of his  life he regrets quitting guns n roses, i think he thought he was more famous than what he really was and once he quit axl he thought he could just take off and be successful on his own and he found out real quick he couldnt

One could say the same about Axl as well, and he even had the advantage of using the GNR brand name.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Death Cube K
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2004, 03:36:38 AM »

I trust Slash even less than I trust Axl. And I dont trust Axl that much in the first place.

Slash just rolls with the punches and says whatevers good for him at the moment. When GNR took the road, he was like "oh yeah, Im supporting my boy" and now when it's GNR downtime, he's more like "Axl messed up GNR yada yada yada".
chas
Headliner

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2004, 04:50:10 AM »

Why does everyone assume Axl is the best buisness man.  What has Axl done to prove that he's such a good buisness man other than cancelling tours, and not showing up to shows?

Well he kept the GnR name!!! One of the biggest and most recognised names in Rock music history, thats as smart a business decision as their is.
phaseONE
Headliner

I'm a llama??

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2004, 04:55:31 AM »

$100m u say, well, thats what he " was " probably worth back at the end of the illusion tour, but 10 years has passed by with nothing new, id say his equity in the music business has dwindled big time, failed tours dont help, no new produce out there, not looking good for mr rose,

look at Wako jacko, i bet hes earned a shit load more money that GNR has ever seen, and hes in major debt.

and he owns the rights to all the beatles music too, and even with selling the rights to them, hes still in debt.

So, its easy come easy go.....

Maybe thats why the record company wants to release the greatest hits record to regain much lost moneys owed by axl rose and his clonies, he paid them a lot of money to tour with him, the tour was a big failure, so all the money he probably earned from the tour went on wages to his staff, so, no profit made from tour = more debt.

-------and time goes by-------
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2004, 06:08:55 AM »

look at Wako jacko, i bet hes earned a shit load more money that GNR has ever seen, and hes in major debt.

and he owns the rights to all the beatles music too, and even with selling the rights to them, hes still in debt.

Exactly. Debt comes when you forget to check the bills and the balance.  beer

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2004, 06:56:01 AM »

One thing you have to remember is that the one thing they do all still have in common, is that they all absoloutley loved GN'R and what it was they had created.  

I don't blame Axl for still working with the name and  i don't blame Slash and Duff for feeling pissed off about it all.  Now that they have all sobered up, they can probably see things clearer in the terms, like what an impact they had achieved together, i'm sure if they could leave the ego's behind and all met up, it wouldn't be as bad as it might have been a few years ago.

As far as money is concerned I'm sure Slash is speaking honestly, i doubt any of them are struggling, they don't have to worry or work.  But he's probably just saying that it's no as much as we would perhaps think.

Record company bosses are money people alright,  they won't lose a penny they don't want to.  Business' especially the Media business, im sure would use muscle before losing millions.

We would have seen these DVD's and GH along time ago if it was that bad.  They are probably hoping it would just stir things with Axl and that he  would  be motivated to finally release  CD.     Can't blame them though, it's been sometime.

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2004, 07:02:32 AM »

Axl in debt?  Roll Eyes

If Axl needed money he would release Chinese Democracy - a broke man doesn't sit on a pot of gold like that for 10 years.......a broke man doesn't hire a zillion other musicians to work with him

Didn't he go buy some junk for 5 grand just the other week?

He has sold 60 million albums + merchandise + money from the tours

He is minted.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
phaseONE
Headliner

I'm a llama??

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2004, 07:32:33 AM »

what if axls " pot of gold " turns out to be a crock of shit?

career terminated.

flat line __________________ _ _ ....._______________

-------and time goes by-------
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2004, 08:35:06 AM »

I don't buy 100 million for 1 second, there's just no way.

neither do I.

they did spend a lot of money, yhat's true..

Matt sayed that they did spend like 100,000 dollars for partying per day

and Izzy sayed that the canelled shows costed a little fortune to the band...because Axl didn't show up. That was one of the reasons Izzy left the band.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2004, 09:32:22 AM »

As far as what the videos cost....   the band doesn't pay for the video... the record company does.

GnR funded Novembe Rain themselves..
Dizzy
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2004, 09:40:11 AM »

and Izzy sayed that the canelled shows costed a little fortune to the band...because Axl didn't show up. That was one of the reasons Izzy left the band.

Yeah, Izzy also was pissed off because Axl's tardiness was costing the band hundreds of thousands of dollars in curfew violation fees.  Tom Zutaut said an in interview that Izzy finally had it and stormed over to Axl's house and said that the fees should be charged to him if he insisted on going onstage late.
Insomnis
Opening Act

Long time lurker

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2004, 10:10:26 AM »

Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2004, 10:48:02 AM »

axl is rich... he got his won Dune-Buggy in the backyard.... damn...  peace  hihi

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Smoke
Rocker

nobody ever told me baby,how it was going to be

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2004, 11:01:21 AM »

Axl is not in Debt at all.  He hasn't been doing anything for a long ass time and I know if he is smart enough to make a decision like buying the rights to the name of guns n roses then I know he has been investing his money.  His portfolio is doing quite well.  I won't buy that he is broke/in debt or whatever.  
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2004, 11:23:30 AM »

GnR funded Novembe Rain themselves..

i dont know if i believe that... axl said that he always wanted to play with a orchestra, but no way he could afford it. so he was really glad they made a video with one in it.... not so sure about them paying it... i dont think they said it dureing the Making Off november Rian either..

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2004, 11:44:19 AM »

yeah, you can be certain that Axl has invested his money and has augmented this wealth that way. That's what they all do.
jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2004, 12:00:02 PM »

Not to defend Slash but what i understand from his comments is that by the time of the end of the Illusions gigs in 1993 that band were breaking even, not making the huge profit that everyone assumed.

I think Slash is trying to say that they could have made more than they did if Axl hadn't been so extravagant.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2004, 12:02:32 PM »

Yeah, Izzy also was pissed off because Axl's tardiness was costing the band hundreds of thousands of dollars in curfew violation fees.  Tom Zutaut said an in interview that Izzy finally had it and stormed over to Axl's house and said that the fees should be charged to him if he insisted on going onstage late.

exacly! that's probably why Slash once said that he didn't make any money from the UYI tour as well.

they had to break the curfew all the time and ended up paying huge violation fees, all because of Axl.
and there were other legal stuff caused by Axl as well.

Slash did absolutely not lie here, maybe exaggerate a bit, but not lie.

this does not mean the guys are broke though, cos I seriously doubt they are! they still get royalties and stuff.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 12:04:56 PM by Kiedis » Logged

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
Crowebar
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2004, 12:06:39 PM »

This shows the bands overall net worth and not their individual net worth.

When I heard what I heard, it was Axl's estimated individual net worth.

Believe it or not, that's what I heard. $100,000,000.00
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2004, 02:05:31 PM »

One day...one day i will find out where u lot get ur quotes and pictures and all the rest! U can't keep them from me forever!! rant
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 02:06:18 PM by Izzy » Logged

Quick! To the bandwagon!
privatereserve
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2004, 02:38:37 PM »

Anyone here see Axls house?  Enough said.
darknemus
I lost my threads and all I got was this lousy title
Legend

A true fan - no, not that 'truefan' (where is he?)

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2004, 02:45:56 PM »

Anyone here see Axls house?  Enough said.

The same house that can't be cheap to maintain.  You've got property taxes, staff to pay for, maintenance to deal with, etc, etc.  If you add into that the question of where the other band members current salaries are coming from and the sheer concept that the more wealthy you are, the more your expenses increase - it is certainly not out of the realm of possibility that Axl might have some financial issues.

Now do I think the guy's gonna be standing on a street corner with a "Will sing for food" sign anytime soon?  No - but I certainly can see a situation where he might currently have more money going out per month than is coming in.  When you've got X million in savings, that's not a major issue - but it can eventually snowball into one.

Of course, all of this is said with absolutely no knowledge of his investments, how much he was hit by the dot-com bomb of the late 90's, what type of royalty agreements exist.. is he picking up 3 cents everytime WTTJ is played at a sporting event?  What percentage of the current DVD sales go into his pocket, etc, etc.  

As weird as this may sound - having money costs money.

-darknemus

It's not how you're thinking, or as you've imagined
To live in a shade of beliefs that were fashioned
to leave you in slavery and drain out your soul....
Gunner80
ohh..My somber smile
Legend

A delivery boy from the past

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2004, 02:53:34 PM »

I read in some earnings mag that Axl was worth 80,000,000. Of course that was way back in '99

The Rolling Stones, greatest Rock N' Roll band ever, period!
Dizzy
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2004, 03:16:12 PM »

but what i understand from his comments is that by the time of the end of the Illusions gigs in 1993 that band were breaking even, not making the huge profit that everyone assumed.

I think Slash is trying to say that they could have made more than they did if Axl hadn't been so extravagant.

Exactly.   Due to the cost of  a band's live show and touring, bands have to really collect royalties (from merchandise, etc) to make money off touring.  And with all of the excess on parties and shit, combined with Axl's tardies, no-shows, not to mention the riots and Axl's legal troubles, that would've easily offset their earnings.

I don't think Slash at all insinuated that Axl was "broke" right now.
CokeAddict
Headliner

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2004, 03:47:40 PM »

Exactly.  In the context of the interview, he was saying that he (Slash) was not as wealthy from GNR as people think because of Axl's spending for the band.  And with all the times Axl was late, the big videos, etc, he's probably right.

However, he should take some blame himself, instead of the "i'm another poor victim of axl" line.  I would guess that he blew a lot on drugs (didn't Mick Fleetwood blow like $10 million on drugs?), and probably didn't save/invest very well.  While Slash seems like an amiable, laid back guy, he doesn't strike me as the most intelligent guy, or much of a future planner.  Just my opinion.
Doc Emmett Brown
First Porn on Mars
Legend

up and away

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2004, 03:50:24 PM »

As weird as this may sound - having money costs money.

"Once you make that money, it costs more now"      
- Pretty Tied Up

Of course I wouldnt know seeing as I dont have 5 grand to burn on a neon Mobil flying horse!!

Through a shattered city, watched by laser eyes
overhead the night squad glides
the decaying paradise
Crowebar
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2004, 04:40:34 PM »

While Slash seems like an amiable, laid back guy, he doesn't strike me as the most intelligent guy, or much of a future planner.

Yeah and coming from a guy that has a  tattoo on his arm that means Drink Till U Die, that doesn't surprise me very much. I'm sure that at one point, Slash probably didn't think he'd live a very long life.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2004, 05:36:24 PM »

those were some excellent replys
thank you

as far as Axl's financial standing... whoever has that kind of info i'm sure is professionally bound to confidentiality (his banker/his broker/ his accoutant / etc.)

i don't think it makes sense at this point for any past members of GN'R to complain about moneys they perceive were a waste... everything that they were known for - the grand videos, the best accommodations wherever they traveleved - even the fines for playing past curfew or the cancelled shows... those are all part of what made them known as Guns N' Roses... extravagance / excess / dangerous...  just a crazy ride.  They should look at it all as investments that was made into them becoming who they became - the legend that is Guns N' Roses.

and on a side note - Axl was known to NOT be part of the after show parties for most of the latter part of their touring.  The article that was just posted today here the guy says Axl was kind of in his own world...  that it was Slash & Duff who were the big party guys.  So so much for Axl blowing "theband's money" on partying.

I do like however that he insists on the best accomodations for the band.  LIke how when they went to Rio he didn't like the accomodations whoever set up for them so he paid himself for an enitre floor of the best hotel.  

If you don't treat yourself like that - don't expect anyone else to.  I think its an honest approach.  Fuck being 'humble' if thats not how you want to be treated.

I keep thinking about how Axl seemed to say how Slash lowered himself "playing with anyone from Space Ghost to Micheale Jackson".   I think its stuff like that that ends up putting you in the positon where the latin music awards doesn't even want to pay for your flight to appear on the show.

Slash should have never been in that position...  but I don't think Axl has anything to do with that.

Sorry for going off on a tangent  Grin
privatereserve
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2004, 05:49:47 PM »

Yeah one time out was hanging out at some bar at sunset strip and met some guys from a local hospital.  I asked them if they had to treat any celebs.  They told me Slash was in there all the time for ODs.  I asked them from what?  They said herion and drugs.  That was like two years ago.  I was like no way still to this day?  And they were like yep.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2004, 06:10:57 PM »

privatereserve...

that messed up to hear

but now with being married and having kids i imagine he has at least tried to change his ways.. get help

i mean he's got a family to think about

and he's got scott to look after too, no?
he couldn't be any help to scott if he's using

oi vey!

though i think it was just a couple years ago he was on that show forever wild with sebastian bach  (you guys remember it?) and he was high on the show... it was a trip!  i wish someone had that on video
it was funny
  i dont' think they even finished the show with slash cuz the couldn't go on with him on camera...

anyway...   so Slash has wasted money on drugs/booze/partying
oh well... its part of the lifestyle he chose
i don't judge anyway.. cuz we don't know the whole picuture (we never do)

but i like the impression Axl has made over the years

and personally i don't think his house/property is that extravagant - not by malibu / hollywood standards

his house though is probably worth more thatn 10 times what he paid for it

and he's got at least two kick ass cars

one we heard he was seen in at the hard rock gigs....   who remembers what it was.... a corvette?  no... it was a mustang?  damn i can't remmeber

anyway the other was a ferrari spyder he was reported to be seen in

so good for him
he deserves it
and from what we hear/ the impression i get he supports children's charities generously
thats great

Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2004, 06:45:00 PM »

Hey guys, this isn't "Days of Our Lives".
Stop turning everything into a soap opera, you are neutering rock n roll.

Besides, how would any of you have any idea what Axl's financial situation would be? All this is is guesstimating.......
privatereserve
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2004, 06:48:35 PM »

Besides, how would any of you have any idea what Axl's financial situation would be? All this is is guesstimating.......

Hey I'm just speaking of the truth.  If you don't believe me look at the photos I sent Jarmo with Dizzy with my friends.
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2004, 08:18:46 PM »

Hey I'm just speaking of the truth.  If you don't believe me look at the photos I sent Jarmo with Dizzy with my friends.

huh???

i don't know what that is all in referene to

i just thought that an interesting statement for Slash to make -
interesting is one of the words that could be used to describe it anyway

as far as knowing Axl's financial status...
well i'd say no news is good news
if we're not hearing anything about it then i'd say that means he's doing just fine

slashedguns
Rocker

Time went by and it all went up in smoke

« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2004, 08:33:53 PM »

when will u guys realise that none of us know jack shit about the r5eecord industry and how much people make. Stop talking shit ,each member could have 5 cents left for all we know,or even $200 million. Its all just wasted effort

ASSESMENT: WASTE OF AMMO
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2004, 08:56:29 PM »

when will u guys realise that none of us know jack shit about the r5eecord industry and how much people make. Stop talking shit ,each member could have 5 cents left for all we know,or even $200 million. Its all just wasted effort

well... Slash should know something about it, eh?
he's the one who was talking about it!  Grin
Crowebar
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2004, 02:36:51 AM »

Yeah one time out was hanging out at some bar at sunset strip and met some guys from a local hospital.  I asked them if they had to treat any celebs.  They told me Slash was in there all the time for ODs.  I asked them from what?  They said herion and drugs.  That was like two years ago.  I was like no way still to this day?  And they were like yep.

Now, why am I not surprised to read something like this??? [headscratch]
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2004, 02:57:45 AM »

Of course, all of this is said with absolutely no knowledge of his investments, how much he was hit by the dot-com bomb of the late 90's, what type of royalty agreements exist.. is he picking up 3 cents everytime WTTJ is played at a sporting event?  What percentage of the current DVD sales go into his pocket, etc, etc.  

Relating to that, here's a little excerpt from a 2000 RS article:

"What would it matter really? Axl, Slash and Duff would always be, it seemed, the inseparable three. Money was everywhere. Guns N' Roses grossed $57.9 million right out of the gate in the four years from 1988 to 1992, according to documents produced during the Adler litigation. Overhead was enormous - expensive video shoots, first class everything on the road, all the clich?d rock-star excess - but a $57.9 million gross in that time span for a relatively new band is almost unheard of in rock 'n' roll history. The Rolling Stones didn't make this kind of money until years deep into their career. David Bowie raised $55 million in 1997 selling bonds tied to the earnings his first twenty-five albums. The Grateful Dead earned $40 million to $50 million a year touring, but not until the 1990s, after they'd been together for more than twenty years.

After a 17.5 percent commission to management, Axl and his band mates divvied up the money according to a specific formula, which Axl described once in court. During pre-production for Appetite, Axl said, "Slash devised a system of figuring out who wrote what parts of a song or part of a song. There were four categories, I believe. There was lyrics, melody, music - meaning guitars, bass and rums - and accompaniment and arrangement. And we split each one of those into twenty-five percent. When we had finished, I had forty-one percent, and other people had different amounts."

Axl, with Slash, had always controlled most of the band's affairs. By this time Axl has full control. GN'R began work on a new album of original material, drawing from a Geffen advance thought to be around $10 million - Madonna kind of money."

Source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=32

I don't think Axl has any money problems.

Rocket_queen125
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2004, 03:50:33 AM »

Well he did pull of making the 10 grossing tours for 2002 didnt he hmm..........  

Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2004, 03:54:17 AM »

Well he did pull of making the 10 grossing tours for 2002 didnt he hmm..........  

No, GN'R was #75:

January 4th, 2003
GN'R @ number 75 on Pollstar's 2002 Top 100 Tours

According to Pollstar, GN'R's North American tour was at number 75 on the top 100 tours of 2002. The tour grossed $6.5 million in ticket sales.
At number one was Paul McCartney whose tour grossed $103.3 million in ticket sales, The Rolling Stones were at number two ($87.9 million) and Cher at number three ($73.6 million).

Here's the info on GN'R's tour:

Rk Grs  Artist Avg. Ticket Price Avg. Tickets  Total Tickets Avg. Gross City / Shows  Agency

75  6.5 Guns N' Roses 46.72 8,660 138,564 404,611 16/16 Creative Artists Agency

Source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=620
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 03:57:54 AM by Will » Logged

John Daniels
VIP

« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2004, 05:39:26 AM »

and on a side note - Axl was known to NOT be part of the after show parties for most of the latter part of their touring.  The article that was just posted today here the guy says Axl was kind of in his own world...  that it was Slash & Duff who were the big party guys.  So so much for Axl blowing "theband's money" on partying.

"We also had limos on-call 24 hours and burgers at the Trump Tower cost $35. The first night we played the Giants Stadium, there was one pinball machine and a few bottles of booze backstage, Axl came in and said, 'This isn't the Rolling Stones!' So the next night there's a full casino, tons of lobster and champagne was flowing everywhere."

-Matt Sorum-

I think Axl had everything to do with the huge partying costs.
and remember the radio interview 2002 with Axl where he talks about these party themes they had at every city.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 05:47:58 AM by John Daniels » Logged
John Daniels
VIP

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2004, 05:43:44 AM »

No, GN'R was #75:

January 4th, 2003
GN'R @ number 75 on Pollstar's 2002 Top 100 Tours

According to Pollstar, GN'R's North American tour was at number 75 on the top 100 tours of 2002. The tour grossed $6.5 million in ticket sales.
At number one was Paul McCartney whose tour grossed $103.3 million in ticket sales, The Rolling Stones were at number two ($87.9 million) and Cher at number three ($73.6 million).

Here's the info on GN'R's tour:

Rk Grs  Artist Avg. Ticket Price Avg. Tickets  Total Tickets Avg. Gross City / Shows  Agency

75  6.5 Guns N' Roses 46.72 8,660 138,564 404,611 16/16 Creative Artists Agency

Source: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=620

but I guess the cancelled mini tour costed pretty much for Axl..
Izzy
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2004, 09:17:26 AM »

"We also had limos on-call 24 hours and burgers at the Trump Tower cost $35. The first night we played the Giants Stadium, there was one pinball machine and a few bottles of booze backstage, Axl came in and said, 'This isn't the Rolling Stones!' So the next night there's a full casino, tons of lobster and champagne was flowing everywhere."

-Matt Sorum-

and remember the radio interview 2002 with Axl where he talks about these party themes they had at every city.

The old band love to complain - money is there to be spent, they have had the rest of their lives to become boring old men.....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Dizzy
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2004, 09:33:59 AM »

Yeah, Axl was very much a part of the partying during the UYI days.  The guys from Faith No More (one of their opening acts) complained about the excess.

Opening for them was an absurd situation for a band like Faith No More.  Their scene was about excess, excess, excess.  There were more strippers than road crew.  We weren't into that type of male bonding.  The only time I saw their show was when we were reprimanded for laughing about the absurdity of the touring environment in the press and told that we'd have to apologize to Axl or leave the tour.  We made an attempt to explain where we were coming from, but I think it went over Axl's head because as sort of a peace offering, Axl brought us to a trailer backstage where two naked women strippers were having sex.

--Roddy Bottum, former Faith No More keyboardist
Spin magazine, July 1999
Doc Emmett Brown
First Porn on Mars
Legend

up and away

« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2004, 01:07:05 PM »

i don't judge anyway.. cuz we don't know the whole picuture (we never do)

but i like the impression Axl has made over the years

I'm glad you state that it is your own opinion concerning Axl & Slash's affairs, because we all have our own opinions.

In the 2002 radio interview, the interviewer spoke to Axl about the UYI wild extragavant parties, and he mentioned that he saw Axl walk by him, and get into a hot tub with a bunch of hot chicks...  So he certainly made an appearance at those parties.

IMO, I dont think any of Gunners have $$ problems, but is it that surprising to hear them badmouth each other?  Slash & Axl arent exactly buddies now, are they?

In terms of the impression that Axl has created over the years, I'm afraid that most people think negatively of it.  Sad but true.

Also, let's not be so quick to easily believe some trash talk about Slash

Through a shattered city, watched by laser eyes
overhead the night squad glides
the decaying paradise
SuicideUZI
Headliner

Kill Your Idols

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2004, 04:40:15 PM »

im not sure which year the interview was but axl said in an interview once something along the lines of "GNR is a billion dollar business, a quarter of which i own"

slash has said on the howard stern show that axl was good at investing his money and was never strung out on drugs which is where a lot of money from most other rockstars go to

courtney love has said before that she is jealous of axl's deal with the record label about how much he gets, and that compared to today his deal is "unheard of"

GNR sells 500,000 cd's in the USA every year

in other words, axl isnt in debt and never will be

now the damge is done
and we're back out on the run
funny how everything was roses
when we held onto the guns
Eva GnRAxlRosette
Legend

« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2004, 05:23:23 PM »

so whenever it suits one to say Axl was a loner - didn't hang out with the rest of the guys etc...   that is what will be said.... AND when it suits someone to say that he was "as guity" as the rest of the guys when it comes to partying then that is what will be said.

okee... i get it now  ok

ANYWAY...   whatever he did or didn't do.. .whatever they did or didn't do...   if they had a choice then they made their choices and they shouldn't cry about it now....  
and if they didn't have a choice - well then why is that?  

i like how matt said how it was a blast.  Good for them.  But if you are broke now (or not as well off as you think you should be) don't point fingers....  

tsk tsk
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: