Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:13:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227805 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  i think guitar magazines hate Axl...i have proof
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: i think guitar magazines hate Axl...i have proof  (Read 8824 times)
Hoosier
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« on: February 23, 2004, 02:10:08 PM »

being a guitarists i always pick up and thumb through the new mags that come out. i have noticed over the past year or so that in many of the magazines ive bought, there is at least a small GNR mention in all of them. and many have said some bad things about Axl, while supporting everyone else they interview. i just thought id share a few examples.

"your band mates (a perfect circle) have delt with notorious frontmen, how do you compare?-'it comes down to popularity. i think some of those guys got to a point where maybe they were incapable of handling the attention. Axl, bless his heart, cant make a move. he thinks im the devil. i helped Billy Howerdel finally make it on his own. and Axl considers me the devil for it.'- maynard keenan (guitar world)

"Izzy Stradlin left soon after, unable to deal with the increasingly imperious behavior of lead singer Axl Rose.- (guitar world)

"hes (Izzy) so fucking shatterd from his experiance wit Axl, that he refuses to do anything with a singer again!"-slash (guitar world)

"while it seemed ironic to many observers that 3 former GNR members had esentially traded one major headcase for another, Slash insist that Weilands issues represent far less of a hurdle than Axls"- (guitar world)

(about weiland)" the drug thing, we can work with that. its not like the other guy which is just irretrievably fucked up and chemical free"- Slash (guitar world)

"with former GNR partner Axl Rose then about to launch a 'new' GNR tour-one that would run asunder after only a few shows...." (hit parader)

-i thought they played 16 shows. if i have 16 eggs, can i say "i have a few eggs?" never herd that one before

"by the early 90s he'd had enough of Axl Rose's indulenges, and so left. 'i had my own bus because theres nothin worse than waiting on someone. their jumbo jet would sit on the run way for 3 hours while Axl blow dried his hair'- Izzy Stradlin (guitar one)

(about the GNR tokyo/videos DVDs)
UYI1-2 1/2 stars
UYI2-2 1/2 stars
welcome to videos-4 stars
(UYI dvd)"a ravaged voiced Axl Rose shoulders the focus but bedrggled and labored hes not up to the task."
"SCENE STEALER- Slash's keef licks on the cover of "wild horses" kick ass-until Axl chimes in on the chorus"- (guitar one)

those are just a few examples i could dig up real quick. im sure theres more crap like this i havent seen. but, i also dug this up from a Zakk Wylde interview. just thought it was interesting.

"Gilby had splitand i was friends with Axl. so he called me up and asked if id like to jam for a while....you get managers and lawyers saying shit that you dont even know about......Axl stopped by to hear some BLS stuff. one of the guys ask 'so what ever happend to that GNR thin anyway?' and Axl says 'i heard you wanted $3 million up front and your own tour bus.' all i could think was 'who the hell tells you guys these things?' i mean i woulda just been happy to just been around.- Zakk Wylde (guitar one)

"i had all these heavy riffs lying around so i figured if Ozzys not gonna sing on them and Axls not gonna sing on them then ill sing them myself.  thats how Black Label Society got started."- Zakk Wylde (guitar one)

ever been in an earthquake motherfucker?!?!
jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 02:24:26 PM »

The majority of these examples are actual quotes spoken by people who have worked with Axl.  Thats not the magazine dissing Axl, thats the person being interviewed.
noonespecial
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 03:14:58 PM »

some of those quotes were pretty funny...especially Slash's and Izzy's...
I always wondered why Slash chose one high maintenance singer for another, but hey, I guess Weiland's a walk in the park...the "blow drying his hair" remark from Izzy is really funny...almost as funny as his "hayseed motherfucker" remark...go Izzy! I haven't been so amused on a Monday in a long time...thanks guys! ok
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2004, 03:15:16 PM »

(about weiland)" the drug thing, we can work with that. its not like the other guy which is just irretrievably fucked up and chemical free"- Slash (guitar world)

Now that one is quotable!   beer

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
POPmetal
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2004, 03:49:36 PM »

The majority of these examples are actual quotes spoken by people who have worked with Axl.  Thats not the magazine dissing Axl, thats the person being interviewed.

No, the majority of the examples actual quotes by people who have an axe to grind with Axl and all you can expect from them is to throw shit at Axl. Why don't they quote people like Brian May and others who have respect for Axl. In fact, one of those  magazines misquoted Brian May to make it seem like he gave Axl the finger, when it wasn't true and Brian had to issue a public statement that it was not the case at all.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2004, 04:40:24 PM »

No, the majority of the examples actual quotes by people who have an axe to grind with Axl and all you can expect from them is to throw shit at Axl. Why don't they quote people like Brian May and others who have respect for Axl. In fact, one of those  magazines misquoted Brian May to make it seem like he gave Axl the finger, when it wasn't true and Brian had to issue a public statement that it was not the case at all.

Haha, the Irrational Axl Defense Machine chugs along...

Nearly every one of those quotes, besides being from people whove worked with Axl like somebody pointed out, are on-point.

"Izzy Stradlin left soon after, unable to deal with the increasingly imperious behavior of lead singer Axl Rose.- (guitar world)

Truth

"hes (Izzy) so fucking shatterd from his experiance wit Axl, that he refuses to do anything with a singer again!"-slash (guitar world)

Truth

"while it seemed ironic to many observers that 3 former GNR members had esentially traded one major headcase for another, Slash insist that Weilands issues represent far less of a hurdle than Axls"- (guitar world)

Truth (Obviously, Axl is a headcase by his own admission, and obviously Slash believes Weiland is easier to work with so...Truth

Thats how he feel...Truth

"with former GNR partner Axl Rose then about to launch a 'new' GNR tour-one that would run asunder after only a few shows...." (hit parader)

Absolute fucking truth...actually a little too forgiving considering it ran asunder on the very first date...

"by the early 90s he'd had enough of Axl Rose's indulenges, and so left. 'i had my own bus because theres nothin worse than waiting on someone. their jumbo jet would sit on the run way for 3 hours while Axl blow dried his hair'- Izzy Stradlin (guitar one)

Truth

(about the GNR tokyo/videos DVDs)
UYI1-2 1/2 stars
UYI2-2 1/2 stars
welcome to videos-4 stars
(UYI dvd)"a ravaged voiced Axl Rose shoulders the focus but bedrggled and labored hes not up to the task."
"SCENE STEALER- Slash's keef licks on the cover of "wild horses" kick ass-until Axl chimes in on the chorus"- (guitar one)

The only quote that would apply to your topic, so congratulations - one quote to prove your point.

"Gilby had splitand i was friends with Axl. so he called me up and asked if id like to jam for a while....you get managers and lawyers saying shit that you dont even know about......Axl stopped by to hear some BLS stuff. one of the guys ask 'so what ever happend to that GNR thin anyway?' and Axl says 'i heard you wanted $3 million up front and your own tour bus.' all i could think was 'who the hell tells you guys these things?' i mean i woulda just been happy to just been around.- Zakk Wylde (guitar one)

confused

Not even sure how this is unflattering...

"i had all these heavy riffs lying around so i figured if Ozzys not gonna sing on them and Axls not gonna sing on them then ill sing them myself.  thats how Black Label Society got started."- Zakk Wylde (guitar one)

See above

And Im sure theres plenty of complimentary quotes, as long as people are making them.  Then again, there doesnt seem to be many nice things to say about him at the moment, and the few people that would apparently arent talking.

God GNR fans are crybabies...
POPmetal
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2004, 04:57:14 PM »

if you had read the first post, you'd know that the last two were not meant to be unflattering.

if you had read my post, you'd know that I never said they weren't true. I said that the magazines tend to quote people who have an axe to grind with Axl, and not quote people who respect Axl, or to misquote people who repect Axl in a way to make them look as if they're badmouthing Axl. Now, THAT is TRUTH!

God Axl haters can't read...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 04:59:36 PM by POPmetal » Logged
jellyhead
Rocker

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2004, 05:51:43 PM »

Why don't they quote people like Brian May and others who have respect for Axl.

Read the title of this thread.  This is just a selection of anti-Axl press cuttings, taken from various interviews at different times.  Axl does get positive press but this is a list of the bad stuff.
POPmetal
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2004, 06:05:00 PM »

Why don't they quote people like Brian May and others who have respect for Axl.

Read the title of this thread.  This is just a selection of anti-Axl press cuttings, taken from various interviews at different times.  Axl does get positive press but this is a list of the bad stuff.

Yeah, and did I say this wasn't a list of bad quotes? No. Did I say Axl does not get good press? No. Does that chage the the fact that magazines tend to quote people who have an axe to grind with axl and some even misquote people to make them look as if they're Axl haters, when they actually like Axl? No.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2004, 07:13:39 PM »

Yeah, and did I say this wasn't a list of bad quotes? No. Did I say Axl does not get good press? No. Does that chage the the fact that magazines tend to quote people who have an axe to grind with axl and some even misquote people to make them look as if they're Axl haters, when they actually like Axl? No.

They interview musicians, obviously guys like Slash and Izzy are going to get questions about GNR-related stuff and Axl and they answer them honestly.  Nearly every quote was on-point.  Thus you have no point, other than they misquoted Brian May.  I know youd like to see nothing but glowing words for Axl, but thats not the way it is, dont put the blame on the magazine (thats goes to the starter of this thread).  I guess youll just maintain that they have some sort of bias until they stop interviewing Slash & co. and do nothing but Robin Finck and Brian May features?

Did I say Axl does not get good press? No.

Well there goes your point about not quoting people who have respect for Axl.
POPmetal
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 07:37:56 PM »

They interview musicians, obviously guys like Slash and Izzy are going to get questions about GNR-related stuff and Axl and they answer them honestly.  Nearly every quote was on-point.  Thus you have no point, other than they misquoted Brian May.  I know youd like to see nothing but glowing words for Axl, but thats not the way it is, dont put the blame on the magazine (thats goes to the starter of this thread).  I guess youll just maintain that they have some sort of bias until they stop interviewing Slash & co. and do nothing but Robin Finck and Brian May features?

No, I don't think they should stop interviews of Slash and Izzi. I do hope that people like you wouldn't be so naive as to think that Slash and Izzi do not have an axe to grind with Axl. For example, I don't think Slash is lying either when he says he'd rather work with a drugie than work with an insane person, but Slash is not the most unbiased source. Plenty of other people who have worked wiht Axl say that he's great to work with. But people hear the Slash and Izzy stories only and then take them as gospel.

Did I say Axl does not get good press? No.

Well there goes your point about not quoting people who have respect for Axl.

The press loves to hate Axl and you know it. If Kurt Loder and a handful of other journalists like Axl, 95% of the rest of them take great pleasure in ripping Axl appart, wheter justifiably or not. So my point still stands. But I have to say Axl still has it much better than most other "hair" bands.
Dave_Rose
VIP

Cheese Sandwich

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2004, 12:41:25 PM »

How could you hate Axl, Axl is a talented man he rulez you said it right the press love to hate this guy but Axl himself is very interesting person we dont know whats going on inside his head lol.

EEEERRRR Little boy
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: