Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 06:36:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227788 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Duff's gear in BassPlayer mag
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff's gear in BassPlayer mag  (Read 5106 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: February 24, 2004, 12:56:18 AM »

BASS PLAYER (mag) MARCH 2004 Issue

Appetite for Distortion

Duff McKagan?s main bass is an inexpensive mid-?80s Fender Jazz Special with Seymour Duncan Hot Stack pickups and Rotosound strings.  ?Before we started recording I was playing a Music Man bass instead, to get more of a growl,? he says.  ?It was great live, but when we made the Velvet Revolver record I went back to playing my Fenders.?  A longtime devotee of Gallien-Krueger amps, Duff?s current tone is based on the classic G-K sound but with a bit more aggressive rasp and bite.  In the studio and on the road, he?s using a 2001RB head into two G-K RBH 4x10s, an 800RB head into a G-K wx15 for distortion (G-K is designing an 8x10 for touring), and for extra bite, a Marshall JMP guitar head, THD Hot Plate power soak, and a Marshall 1x12 guitar cabinet.  ?The combination of the Gallien-Krueger bottom and the Marshall growl is perfect for me,? says Duff.  ?I still own and us the G-K rigs from the Guns N? Roses days.  They?ve never broken down on me.?

McKagan uses Dunlop Tortex picks, straps, and straplocks.  He sometimes also goes through an MXR ?80 distortion box, and he used a Z-Vex Woolly Mammoth on the tune ?Set Me Free? from the Hulk{/I] movie soundtrack.  ?Those are great pedals.  On the road with Velvet Revolver I?ll probably end up using some delays and stuff, but not a lot.  Mostly I go for a straightahead sound.  I?m not going to get too trippy.?

Thanks to tech Mike ?McBob? Mayhue for help with McKagan?s gear details.

PHOTOGRAPHS BY ANNAMARIA DISANTO  

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 03:54:53 PM »

Thanks gypsy. Kiss
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2004, 04:44:13 PM »

Hey hey, this is great, I've been interested in Duff's rig for ages, I consider him to have the ultimate bass sound, kinda like an unwound piano string, yet gritty, with the bass edge that supports and reinforces both guitar and drums. Great article.

beer

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: