Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:45:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227779 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Dead Horse
| | |-+  the "new" GN'R band: great legacy to carry on, or just a guns cover band????
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: the "new" GN'R band: great legacy to carry on, or just a guns cover band????  (Read 9335 times)
Nightrain198704
Opening Act

AFD is the greatest LP ever!

« on: March 03, 2004, 10:02:38 PM »

what does everyone think?  Is the great name of Guns N' Roses being tarnished because it only has one original member left? Or is it fair to say it is a band with the same name, new material (if ever released) but different members?  I went to the Cleveland show back in 2002, but more so just to see/experience Axl in a live setting, since I was only about 10 when UYI's came out.  I actually thought it was a better show then it was gonna be, especially since Axl was in good spirits and the fact that he ACTUALLY SHOWED UP, ON TIME! But he did go backstage every song to probably hit the oxygen tank. But if i was 40 and running around onstage like that I'd be proud of myself. The new members know the material, so should they tour and let people hear these awesome songs live, even if not original members?? if you wanted to, you could close your eyes and just imagine it's them.  I mean when they lost Izzy and Steven they continued, it may not have been as cool with Gilby, Matt, Dizzy, and all those chicks in the horn section, but nonetheless people accepted it.  So technically after that it was just Axl, Slash, and Duff.  But losing those two is kinda big....what ya think?Huh
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 10:44:00 PM »

Of course this is a great legacy to carry on. I'd say otherwise if the band didn't really "play the fuck outta these old songs", but they play them better than the old band.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
badapple81
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 10:45:03 PM »

Sometimes I feel like I'm beatin a Dead Horse.

I think your question can really be answered accurately around RIR4 time and when we get CD. Then when its a masterpiece and people are singing the praises of Axl and GNR.. you get your answer  Grin
SlashFan
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 11:22:23 PM »

Of course this is a great legacy to carry on. I'd say otherwise if the band didn't really "play the fuck outta these old songs", but they play them better than the old band.

Playing the songs better is not the point.It was the old band that wrote them and played on the albums.I like the new band,but they need their own stuff to play.At this point I guess they are sort of a cover band because they did play the old songs.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 11:23:17 PM by Slash Rose » Logged
Funeral
Rocker

Welcome to the neighborhood

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 01:12:12 AM »

I think we should stop referring to them as a "band".  They no longer play live or release new material.  Everything they once were, is past tense at this point.

-F
SlashFan
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 01:36:37 AM »

I think we should stop referring to them as a "band".  They no longer play live or release new material.  Everything they once were, is past tense at this point.

-F

I know that you're right about that.
kockstar99
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 03:23:48 AM »

oh wow! this has never discussed  before
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 12:18:07 PM »

but they play them better than the old band.

I don't think so.
They can play old songs but I got a lot of bootlegs from the old band and they play great tohse songs.. No one can play that songs best !! Slash is unique !!
That Loader review from Rio... hummm I don't agree !

//JK
//JK75
VIP

It's been a long time for me

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 12:19:55 PM »

And !!!
I'm not telling the new band play bad !
They are a great band but, not the same...

//JK
Dizzy
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 05:24:42 PM »

A cover band.  As far as I'm concerned, the Sorum/Clarke era wasn't much different (though not as bad as the Axl Rose band).  Without Steven and Izzy, it just didn't work.  
SLCPUNK
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2004, 01:22:51 AM »

Talented group of musicians. They will be sealed as a band if they ever release something!
journey
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2004, 03:24:01 AM »

I'd say both.  They've got to play the old stuff, because that's what made guns what they are.  But, the new members/band, will introduce a new sound and fresh ideas that will capture the interest of fans. It's worth waiting for!
Timothy
Big T
Banned
Legend

bourgeois democracy

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2004, 08:04:28 AM »

A cover band till CD is released.

?In China, Talk Of Democracy Is Simply That.?
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2004, 02:22:47 PM »

Great band, very talented, very versatile, very entertaining, very diverse, highly skilled, good players: but not Guns N' Roses.

Case closed.  beer

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: