Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:51:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227804 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Slash's Guitar "Effect"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slash's Guitar "Effect"  (Read 15220 times)
graemelynch2k5
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« on: March 17, 2004, 05:35:41 PM »

Does any1 know wot Slash does while playing civil war on the UYI dvd? he does sumthin with the 3 way switch on his guitar but i dunno wot. does any1 know wot im talking about? If u play the DVD and according to my DVD player he should do this "thing" at 1 hour and 46 seconds you should see him do this after the camera moves off Axl. I've seen him do it in a live version of use u could be mine. i think it sounds like wot a whammy bar wud sound like but i dunno
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 05:43:39 PM »

if i know my les paul right, he is switching pickups..... its no effect...
maybe he did it like the rythm "mode" has no sound on it, so he just kills and "re-live" the tone..

im bad with words tough...
another thing, does this mean slash is back in GNR  hihi

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 04:03:58 AM »

What you might be referring to is him placing his picking hand on the upper left part of the body (where the 3 way selector is), and pushing down, while his fretting hand pulls up on the neck to create a "dive bomb" effect... it pulls the set neck out of whack (horrible for the guitar though).
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 08:24:27 AM »

Yeah, apparently he broke the neck on his favourite LP when he was doing that, whilst he was in Snakepit.

So it's not really a good idea.

It's an even worse idea if you've got a bolt on neck...

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 01:19:21 PM »

Yeah, it hit him in the face and he had to go and get stitches at the hospital. rofl
He laughed about it too Wink
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 02:56:05 PM »

Yeah, apparently he broke the neck on his favourite LP when he was doing that, whilst he was in Snakepit.

So it's not really a good idea.

It's an even worse idea if you've got a bolt on neck...

so that must have been his Les Paul by Max.... that sucks... that thing's gonna be worth some cash someday.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 03:19:51 PM »

He got it repaired by a master luthier.  If I remember correctly it was one of the best in the biz.
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 04:25:43 PM »

yeah, probably Max... the guy who built it.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 05:18:26 PM »

Slash actually said in that Total Guitar article that the guy that built all the best LP's was called Kris Derrig...but he's dead now...but the ones he built, they're his main guitars.

So unless Max was this guy's codename or something I think that's the guy that built and repaired the guitar.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 06:01:24 PM »

Turns out it wasn't the 'Appetite' guitar.

Monster:  What can you tell us about Slash's favorite live guitar?
Adam Day:  It's a cherry sunburst Les Paul which he uses quite a bit. It's an old road dog thats been broken several times. Its got a great mid range sound that works for him. He was playing with Nile Rogers and Steve Winwood awhile ago and snapped it in half.The head stock came up and smacked him in the face. He had blood all over his face and his lip and everybody's jaws dropped and stopped playing. He can be pretty rough on all of his guitars, even his favorites.

http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/slashguitarpage/Articles/Monstercable.html
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2004, 06:07:17 PM »

Turns out it wasn't the 'Appetite' guitar.

Monster:  What can you tell us about Slash's favorite live guitar?
Adam Day:  It's a cherry sunburst Les Paul which he uses quite a bit. It's an old road dog thats been broken several times. Its got a great mid range sound that works for him. He was playing with Nile Rogers and Steve Winwood awhile ago and snapped it in half.The head stock came up and smacked him in the face. He had blood all over his face and his lip and everybody's jaws dropped and stopped playing. He can be pretty rough on all of his guitars, even his favorites.

http://cosmos.oninetspeed.pt/slashguitarpage/Articles/Monstercable.html

rofl  hihi
awesome!!! when i get rich, i wanna try that dive bomb thing too  ok

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2004, 06:11:20 PM »

Do you think it was that one he was always playing on the Illusions tour?  With the plain maple top, and the wierd paint job, where the cark red bit around the edge cuts in further than it should?

That was really badly explained.  But I think it was a 1980s Standard.  I know in some interviews he's said that that was his main touring guitar.

Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2004, 07:19:35 PM »

Yes, derrig made some of Slash's guitars. However in the guitar world he is far more commonly known as "Max". He made super high quality les paul copies (argued to be way way better than what Gibby was making at the time). Slash essentially made this luthier famous, and now "Max" les pauls are worth up to something like $50,000.... you see them on ebay every now and then. The large price is largely due to the Slash collection, but it has been discovered that a lot more players have Max les pauls, and are endorsed by Gibson!

On the tokyo video, I see Slash with 3 les pauls... one appears to be a Goldtop Historic (or quite possibly a Max) but it could be a plain standard, because you could get them in goldtops. Slash uses this guitar mainly for ballads, it has a far more vocal tone than the other one which *i think* is THE original Max that slash got from his manager (the cherry sunburst, with the wishy washy paintjob that i love). The other, which he only uses for like 3 songs is some generic ebony Standard... Slash seems to prefer Rosewood fingerboards, thus avoiding Customs.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 07:21:46 PM by Pviljoen » Logged
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 04:54:31 PM »

So you think that the screwed up paint job was the one done for Appetite.

I find that hard to believe because;
a. Slash said in interviews that it was a 1980s Standard and,
b. Slash said that the guiatar that Niven got him for appetite had an incredible top (I think, if I remember right) which doesn't sound like the Standard.

I always assumed that the LP you see in the jungle video, with the insane flame on it, was the one Niven bought him.  I think there's an early pic with him holding it in the live era booklet too.

Who are the other guys that use Max's guitars then?  I wouldn't be surprised if Perry did, but I can't think of many other LP endorsees...I heard Ace Frehley got pissed off with how crap his sig came out.

Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2004, 04:25:25 PM »

Perry for sure, Knopler, that guy from Cinderella, Page has a Max and that's all I know about for sure, but I have heard that there are many more.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2004, 05:14:23 PM »

For anyone who hasn't seen it or can't remember, here you go:

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2004, 05:36:07 PM »

Cool! Where did you get that article from?  I've never seen it before.

I still can't work out if that's the one he broke or not...it's a shame if it was...tis a truly beautiful guitar.

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2004, 05:41:48 PM »

Same site the interview quote was from.
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2004, 07:39:26 PM »

Thats not the one from tokio... He used it in the Ritz 88 show, but I thihnk he dropped it
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2004, 11:01:45 AM »

Thats not the one from tokio... He used it in the Ritz 88 show, but I thihnk he dropped it

i think he also broke alot of strings in ritz 88....  hihi

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: