Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:55:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227830 Posts in 43250 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  what tracks do u fill don't belong on the greatest hits?
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: what tracks do u fill don't belong on the greatest hits?  (Read 11899 times)
Sun King
Opening Act

I won't be told anymore

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2004, 12:43:22 PM »

The album is a Guns 'N Roses: The Singles album in reality

You are quite right. It is a 'Greatest Hits' album not a 'Best Of...'
Still why Geffen decided not to included 'Estranged'  and include 'Ain't It Fun' is beyond belief IMO. As a previous poster said TSI needs to be represented, but surely SIDHY does that!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 12:46:38 PM by Sun King » Logged
madagas
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2004, 12:48:34 PM »

I would take all the cover songs off plus Yesterdays and add Estranged, Coma, Brownstone, and It's So Easy. However, don't worry about this hunk of shit. There will be another Gnr compilation in the future. All big bands have multiple "best of" albums. beer
« Last Edit: March 25, 2004, 12:52:39 PM by madagas » Logged
duga
VIP

If you're not a rock star - at least act like one

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2004, 01:44:57 PM »

All the covers with the exception for SFTD as it hasn't been released on a album before.

Replace the covers with Nightrain, Estranged or Coma and one more song if it fits.

Stockholm 2006, Oslo 2010, Maryland 2016, Stockholm 2017, Gothenburg 2018

Power to the people, peace out and blame Canada
MR.BROWNSTONE
Sir Post-a-lot
Legend

I'm a supreme Guns N' Roses fan.

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2004, 10:27:17 PM »

I would take off Ain't It Fun,  Since I Don't Have You and  Live And Let Die.

I would put in Estranged, Mr. Brownstone and Shotgun Blues or Don't Damn Me.  

12-6-02,5-12-06,5-14-06,5-15-06,5-17-06,11-5-06,11-10-06,11-13-06,11-24-06
1-28-10,10-28-11,10-29-11,11-17-11,11-20-11,11-26-11,12-30-11,12-31-11,2-12-12
2-23-12,2-24-12,2-27-12,3-12-12,11-23/24-12
Hung Well
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2004, 04:15:34 AM »

Since it's a greatest hits album, the two covers that were hits should stay (LALD and KOHD).  Those are actually the only two UYI songs that get airplay in Atlanta (yep, no November Rain, no YCBM, no Civil War, no Don't Cry).

I'd add either Brownstone or It's So Easy, maybe both in place of Ain't it Fun and Since I Don't Have You (it doesn't matter that TSI would have no songs.... none were even remotely close to "hits").

Estranged does not belong.  It might have been a single but it wasn't a hit.  I've never heard it once on the radio, even back in UYI era.

badapple81
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2004, 05:04:33 AM »

I dont get why everybody is saying the covers should be on the GH. Anyway each of us their opinions  Smiley Here's mine:

Playing (mostly cool) cover songs was something GNR was always into and LALD and KOHD were songs GNR made their own, successfully too.

They were a part of what old GNR was all about and therefore should be represented on the GH.

In answer to the post question.. Aint It Fun was not a GREAT HIT. I guess SIDHY is a representation from TSI, but id still rather not have it on. Sympathy For The Devil I guess cos its not on a GNR album but again it wasnt a great hit.

Yesterdays yes, I dont know about overseas, but here in Aust its played on the radio a fair bit and was a single well placed when GNR toured here in Jan 93, so its a recognised song given good airplay here on the rock station.
badobsession81
Rocker

Forgive them that tear down your soul

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2004, 05:09:10 AM »

the track list does appear to get a bit lost near the end. and there is a huge gap between each song it seems. that kills any flow. they keep breaking up fast paced songs with slow ones. no real thought appears to have been put in to the order/flow towards the end.

i'd def remove yesterdays i think, if it was in favour of nightrain or mr b!

i'd leave 'sympathy for the devil' cuz that hasnt been on any gnr albums and would be good for ppl who havent got it yet (cuz most dont go and spend ?15 on a soundtrack for one song like i do! lol)

prob keep one spag track, but not sure which. prob aint it fun, cuz the pace of the album towards the end is quite slow and itd be best to have a faster paced song with some of the gnr attitude.

anyway, thats the crucial changesid make, yesterdays, SIDHY out. and nightrain, mr b (or easy) in.

Back In Power
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2004, 09:26:57 AM »

everyone knows i hate aint it fun or dont like it, hate is to strong

however casual fans may think sftd and aint it fun are new tracks which may make them buy it

i let a boy listen to one of my gnr mix cds the other day and it was the first time he ever heard pretty tied up

so who knows maybe that will help the sales

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2004, 09:34:47 AM »

Well the point  most of you are missing is that it's a singles collection not a career retrospective.  And unlike someone such as David Bowie who has done so much that a Best of can represent the successes in individual countries.

GN'R haven't got that luxury. So it's not a case of what should have been left off. The question should be what should have been added to represent all the singles they released all over the world.  So it should have had It's so easy, Nightrain and Estranged as they were released on single format in Europe.  

I have never seen a whole discography that included international releases in places such as Japan, Australia ect so there may have been other single releases that i'm not aware of that also should have been included.  

By the way Aint it fun reached top 10 in the uk and was played everywhere - i know i was there.  So to say it wasn't a success is rubbish.   Sympathy also did well here top 10/11 and don't forget there was no video, no promotion.   So you know think about the countries other than your own -  it's a decent collection of a fantastic band - it  that could have been alot better. But that's the result of a band not holding it all together and it is being bought so you can't fault it's purpose - money.

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
justynius
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2004, 02:58:53 PM »

Considering that "Since I Don't Have You" and "Ain't It Fun" were never regular's on a GN'R setlist (I am unaware of them even having played either live), I find it particularly absurd for them to have been placed on the Greatest Hits album.

I can sort of understand "Sympathy for the Devil", since that is the relatively new track that a lot of people probably haven't heard. That track can be pushed so it's not like customers are getting the same songs they've already had/heard.

If this was released with GN'R's permission, I think you'd probably have "Since I Don't Have You" and "Ain't It Fun" cut along with one of the three remaining covers. These three cuts would be replaced with "It's So Easy," "Nightrain," and "Estranged." Since "Estranged" was part of the Illusions trilogy and on that MTV countdown for months, it's ridiculous to leave that track off. Also, despite the success of the single, "Estranged" received relatively little radioplay due to its length so you again have that 'unknown' factor tempting potential buyers to pick up the CD.
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: