Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:51:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  [Video] my nightrain solo
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Video] my nightrain solo  (Read 8464 times)
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« on: April 06, 2004, 11:18:31 AM »

http://pwp.netcabo.pt/0152267601/nightrain.wmv

well. hope you like it Smiley

Chinese Democracy!
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 01:27:57 PM »

Very nice! I thought some parts of your phrasing were a little dead, but overall I thought it was pretty good.
AxlsPiano
Rocker

Rock N Roll Will Return

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 04:25:31 PM »

i thought it was great. wish i had the skill to do those quick hammer ons/pull offs all over the fretboard.
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 04:31:49 PM »

yeah, but did you guyz see my kitten in the back? she was sleeping all the time lol, and i was playing really loud. i guess she loves Gn'R Tongue

Chinese Democracy!
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2004, 09:07:31 PM »

That's pretty fucking impressive!  How long have you been playing?

And just out of curiosity...did you learn that from a tab, or do it by ear?

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2004, 09:37:31 PM »

i've been playing for... a few years 6 at the most. but that the time i got my first guitar and didn't lear a couple years later, and i only got decent at it not to long ago.
and that's by ear. i never pickup a tab. its anoying Tongue

Chinese Democracy!
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2004, 05:34:09 AM »

Nice dude ... my tab reading, rhythm guitar playing ass stands in awe ... as I do of most lead players ... but nice dude!   ok

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2004, 06:00:52 AM »

Very nice mate ok

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2004, 04:32:20 PM »

i've been playing for... a few years 6 at the most. but that the time i got my first guitar and didn't lear a couple years later, and i only got decent at it not to long ago.
and that's by ear. i never pickup a tab. its anoying Tongue
Cool.  I wish I had the patience to learn stuff by ear.  But it's just so frustrating, and I'm just a lazy fucker at heart and since I started off learning from tabs, I just keep doing it, cos it's easier.  I try to use them less, but I always get annoyed after a while cos I can never figure out solos...

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2004, 06:10:59 PM »

Hell good, dude!!
is that guitar an epiphone or what??
anyway, even if it was a acme guitar you would still make it sound kick ass good!!

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2004, 10:29:16 PM »

Cool.  I wish I had the patience to learn stuff by ear.  But it's just so frustrating, and I'm just a lazy fucker at heart and since I started off learning from tabs, I just keep doing it, cos it's easier.  I try to use them less, but I always get annoyed after a while cos I can never figure out solos...

Its not like you have to learn it from hear... If you know the key the music is, you can us the pentatonic scale (which is used in almost all slash solos) and just play it... After a while, it gets automatic
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2004, 11:47:58 PM »

Its not like you have to learn it from hear... If you know the key the music is, you can us the pentatonic scale (which is used in almost all slash solos) and just play it... After a while, it gets automatic

I completely agree, also you dont even have to know what key the song is in. if you wanna do your own solo you can just base it on a certain chord in the rhythm backing, lets say f#. Then you can just go crazy in f# minor pentatonic (A major) f# major scale.......hell anything.......you can also mix it up and change the solo to the 3rd in the f # scale *thinks* a#? for some variety.

I dunno why people learn other peoples solos note for note off a tab, yes it sounds cool and will impress your friends but in the long run if your gonna be a famous guitarist one day its your own stuff that will matter.

I've gone off learning other material completely now, and have been tab free for a while now. I guess its ok because i don't really learn songs anymore......i try and constantly create my own and improvise. I dunno thats just me, dont take my advice to seriously cuz evry1's different peace
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2004, 01:19:36 AM »

Yeah, I think you should only use tabs when you?re a begginer, then you should get rid of it. Obviously you should use when a song is difficult, or when the solo you wanna learn is so cool that its not worth it changing it, so you have to learn it note for note, like November Rain

I hope Finck is not reading this  hihi
Evolution
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2004, 03:29:21 PM »

thats excellent!  beer
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2004, 08:43:40 PM »

I completely agree, also you dont even have to know what key the song is in. if you wanna do your own solo you can just base it on a certain chord in the rhythm backing, lets say f#. Then you can just go crazy in f# minor pentatonic (A major) f# major scale.......hell anything.......you can also mix it up and change the solo to the 3rd in the f # scale *thinks* a#? for some variety.
Yeah, I know how to improvise...I was talking about learning a song.

I dunno why people learn other peoples solos note for note off a tab, yes it sounds cool and will impress your friends but in the long run if your gonna be a famous guitarist one day its your own stuff that will matter.
I don't do it to impress, I do it for my own enjoyment.  I started playing guitar because I heard AC/DC and I thought it was really cool.  I wanted to be able to do that.
Are you saying that musicians across the world playing Bach, Mozart, Beethoven etc.. for audiences are irrelevant?

Edit: sorry, I didn't mean to sound so....aggressive..but i'd just come from reading something that really got me pissed off
« Last Edit: April 08, 2004, 08:47:30 PM by Miz » Logged

Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2004, 10:27:52 AM »

Yeah, I know how to improvise...I was talking about learning a song.

I don't do it to impress, I do it for my own enjoyment.  I started playing guitar because I heard AC/DC and I thought it was really cool.  I wanted to be able to do that.
Are you saying that musicians across the world playing Bach, Mozart, Beethoven etc.. for audiences are irrelevant?

Edit: sorry, I didn't mean to sound so....aggressive..but i'd just come from reading something that really got me pissed off

Sorry i shoulda been more specific, i was regarding strictly rock n roll/blues guitar. Classical guitar is based on playing notes exactly how they are in the sheet music and not adding anything. I don't think these guitarists are irrelevant at all. Infact i have a friend who has been studying classical guitar for 6 years, best technical guitarist i know. I often ask him to play classical gas for me because he can play it perfectly. I respect this very much, but its just not my thing and think guitar is a much more expressive instrument and in that i want to play things my way. But yeah the only songs i play now are my own, so i guess......well theres nothing to change or newly express. Oh yeah, and don't get me wrong occasionally i go against myself and belt out AC/DC full blast for the whole street because there's something about the riff's that are fun to play.

sorry to piss you off, things i say usually tend to sound offensive or arrogant, when really i dont mean to. what a way with words  ok

blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2004, 06:01:43 AM »

Neat  beer

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2004, 04:49:02 PM »

dude u are the fuckin shit!

that was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! beer beer beer ok ok peace peace peace

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
AxlsPiano
Rocker

Rock N Roll Will Return

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2004, 11:38:51 PM »

If i may ask, what kind of exercises and stuff can I do to learn how to play that quick up and down the fretboard (like starting at 0:50 and ending at about 1:15 on the video you posted)
That reminds me of the way slash plays on the godfather solo in tokyo 92. And i'd love to play like that
Jesse James
Rocker

tss tss tss tss gnnnnnn!!!

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2004, 05:20:25 AM »

well... I'm impressed-and thats a hard thing to do  Shocked yes ok peace

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: