Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:48:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  How to hold a pick
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How to hold a pick  (Read 5096 times)
Genesis
The Reincarnation of Morpheus
Legend

Aieeeee!

« on: April 09, 2004, 06:58:06 AM »

Hi,

Just how do u guitarists out there, hold a pick? I want to be able to play fast and at the same time be able to do pinch harmonics on the fly... Now it takes me too long to shift from my normal holding position... Huh

Fuck 'Em All.
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 11:10:11 AM »

vell, when i play pinched harmonics i just turn my hand and so the pick is sideways, kinda... i hold very "low" on the pick always. so its just to turn alitltllte on the pick...

it works for me. but im not a fast player nor am i a good player. nor am i a guitar player anymore, im a bissist playing guitar.... :p

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 05:13:35 PM »

Hi,

Just how do u guitarists out there, hold a pick? I want to be able to play fast and at the same time be able to do pinch harmonics on the fly... Now it takes me too long to shift from my normal holding position... Huh
I just slightly angle my pick against the string by bending my thumb when i play those harmonics...how do you hold your pick normally?  I can't really help unless I know...

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
gypsy eyes
Headliner

proud to be a llama!

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2004, 12:43:07 PM »

Personally I don't play with a pic, kinda funny since I got a personalised pic rofl I think fingers (NAILS!! not the flesh! hurts + bad sound!!) are better to play, the sound is better, especially when you perform and you hear every note very loud it can make a big difference, more than that if you switch cords and "normal" pulling, fingers are much easier than a pick...but that's just my opinion and that's not the topic here... how do you hold a pic? Well as far as I know off just let it lean on the middle part of your finger and hold it softly with your thumb so you can move it well and fast, not hold too tight or gets harder to do it quickly... If you wanna move it use your thumb but make sure it doesn't slide away lol or your finger, that's also why that part is best, you can move best with that and controle it better than the top of your finger... that's the advice a prof guitarist gave me and it worked fine for me but I switched to normal fingers again pretty soon after that so I'm not very experienced in it, that's the best advice I can give you Wink

You got something to say to me
Well say it to my face
I'm so sick of society
That says me I'm out of place
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 06:39:09 PM »

Personally I don't play with a pic, kinda funny since I got a personalised pic rofl I think fingers (NAILS!! not the flesh! hurts + bad sound!!)

whats the fun in that for the audience wanting a pick?  hihi

gypsy eyes
Headliner

proud to be a llama!

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2004, 05:13:38 AM »

Personally I don't play with a pic, kinda funny since I got a personalised pic rofl I think fingers (NAILS!! not the flesh! hurts + bad sound!!)

rofl rofl
you can have my pick if you want lol I don't use it anyway Grin
I don't really understand why everyone does, it really does sound better without I think

Well say it to my face
I'm so sick of society
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2004, 10:58:21 AM »

i remeber when i played my first live show at a x-mas party thing for some school... the band that played before us used nails... well, one of them. and he broke it! he was so pissed and it got broken too far inn too, so it hurt for him and he bled.... was fun too watch...  hihi

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2004, 07:06:48 PM »

rofl rofl
you can have my pick if you want lol I don't use it anyway Grin
I don't really understand why everyone does, it really does sound better without I think
You can play things with a pick that you can't with you're fingers?  And you can play faster with a pick?
Try playing some metal with you're fingers...

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 12:01:39 PM »

on the topic of picks, i was wondering what sized pics everyone uses.

I myself use light gauge picks usually 0.53 mm.

I dunno its kinda weird, everyone elses uses much larger gauges.

For some reason i just prefer light, how bout evry1 else?
gypsy eyes
Headliner

proud to be a llama!

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 04:49:26 PM »

You can play things with a pick that you can't with you're fingers?  And you can play faster with a pick?
Try playing some metal with you're fingers...
well you have to practise of course!! In the beginning your fingers bleed like shit  rofl but you gzet used to it really, with your left hand you use your fingers too...and it's not the flesh, just the nails, so you don't feel it that hard. And in my experience I can move a hell lot faster with my fingers than with a pick, I guess it's justa matter of experience...try it once, exercise your fingers, your girlfriend will love it rofl rofl  err Lips Sealed
No really, you can do everything wiht your fingers if you practise it of course, if you don't it can be really hard yeah...
and about hte breaking nails... that's always a risk of course, file well and use right nailpolish lol Grin

Well say it to my face
I'm so sick of society
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 04:47:51 PM »

on the topic of picks, i was wondering what sized pics everyone uses.

I myself use light gauge picks usually 0.53 mm.

I dunno its kinda weird, everyone elses uses much larger gauges.

For some reason i just prefer light, how bout evry1 else?
Dunlop Delrin 2mm for acoustic and either 1.5mm Delrin or 1.14mm tortex for the electric.

The 2mm Delrin pick is the best sounding pick i've ever played.

AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2004, 08:18:56 PM »

1.14mm

LOVING that pick. Grin
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: