Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:55:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Duff's Gear Gunnery
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Duff's Gear Gunnery  (Read 4464 times)
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« on: April 14, 2004, 09:11:04 PM »

GUITAR WORLD?S Bass Guitar
June/July 2004 Issue

Same As It Ever Was
Duff?s Gear Gunnery

Photo credit:  ANNAMARIA DISANTO (GEAR)

When Guns N? Roses received their first advance from Geffen Records in 1986, Duff McKagan took his share and purchased a Fender Jazz Bass Special.  ?I liked how it sounded through my Gallien-Krueger,? he says.  ?It was kinda funky, but it still worked with rock and roll.?  He?s been using Specials ever since.  After the model went out of production in the early Nineties, the Fender Custom Shop built McKagan several copies, each with Dunlop straps and strap locks.

Duff?s combination of Rotosound RS66 Swing Bass strings and Dunlop Tortex .73mm picks lets him cut through the mix at will.  As for amps, he?s been a Gallien-Krueger man from day one and uses G-K 2001RB amps with G-K RBH 4x10 cabs.  In the studio, Duff goes direct but sometimes mikes his 4x10 cabinets, a G-K 15-inch and a Marshall 12-inch for extra crunch.  He has also recorded some tracks with a G-K head and an Acoustic 2x15.

Duff stomped through a few Ibanez and Boss chorus pedals before switching to a rackmounted Yamaha SPX90 multi-effects.  His only other effect is an MXR ?80 D.I.+, which provides powerful gain and distortion tones.  Onstage, Duff uses a Bradshaw Custom Audio Switcher and a Samson UHF Synth 32 wireless.  His tech, Mike ?McBob? Mayhue, keeps everything ready to rock.
-E.E.B. (E.E. Bradman)

Advertisement in mag
« Last Edit: April 14, 2004, 09:46:39 PM by GypsySoul » Logged

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2004, 12:58:13 AM »

"and Dunlop Tortex .73mm picks"

um is that true?........i play guitar and use .53mm.....and that's damn light. Most guitarists use around 1m pics. What is Duff doin playin a bass with .73mm picks? And what boggles my mind even more, how does he get his attack that he's known for on a bass with such flexible picks. Someone plz clear this up for me. It just doesnt add up to me.

oh.....and yeah thanks for posting the article ok
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2004, 09:19:33 AM »

Thanks gypsy!

Maybe they mean 1.73?
blues_rock_axeman
Rocker

R n' F'n Roller

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 02:59:00 PM »

Duff looks really young in that second pic... oddness.

Thanks Gypsy!  beer

Shuffle it all... Pack up your life again...
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2004, 07:09:44 PM »

Cool quick information, thanx Gypsy!!!!!!

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2004, 07:40:38 PM »

"and Dunlop Tortex .73mm picks"

um is that true?........i play guitar and use .53mm.....and that's damn light. Most guitarists use around 1m pics. What is Duff doin playin a bass with .73mm picks? And what boggles my mind even more, how does he get his attack that he's known for on a bass with such flexible picks. Someone plz clear this up for me. It just doesnt add up to me.
Maybe they mean 1.73?

The mag does read "Dunlop Tortex .73mm picks" so if that's wrong it's the mags typo NOT mine.  Tongue

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 07:40:38 PM »

Duff uses the 0.73mm Tortex.  You can even see in the picture at the top.  The yellow pics.  I dunno why, but it seems to work for him.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 07:43:45 PM »

Duff uses the 0.73mm Tortex.  You can even see in the picture at the top.  The yellow pics.  I dunno why, but it seems to work for him.

it actualy works for me too... funny too see that we actualy uses the same pick!! i bought it 'cuz it was large and a little bendy... so i understand duff for liking those pics Cheesy

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: