Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:04:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why GNR covered C. Manson ?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why GNR covered C. Manson ?  (Read 69622 times)
coolbuddy
Rocker

patience is all you need....

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2003, 02:00:58 PM »

Istill like thissong and though it's not really in the same class as many others in TSI, it's still pretty ok
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2003, 04:59:42 PM »

Well how true this is i don't know.  But in Marilyn Mansons biography, "The long hard road out of hell".  Manson reckons that when he met Axl (when manson was just Brian warner following NIN around) they were talkin and he suggested Axl should listen to some of Charles mansons recordings.  

He says the next thing he knew there was this storm of controversy about GN'R covering a Charles Manson song.  Quite interesting... I really like the song theres no shame in liking it and theres no shame in Axl singing it.  Doesn't mean you in anyway support the actions of the writer - sadly it's another case of media stirring up a reaction.  

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2003, 05:12:08 PM »

theres no shame in liking it and theres no shame in Axl singing it.  Doesn't mean you in anyway support the actions of the writer - sadly it's another case of media stirring up a reaction.  

Well put, I have to say that of all the songs on TSI, Look at Your Game Girl is one of my favorites, better than all but one or two other songs.  

Liking a song does not mean that you support everything that the author has ever done in his/her life.  Obviously, because although I like GNR I don't like a lot of things about one W. Axl Rose.  

If Axl doesn't have the balls to stand behind a song he liked and decided to cover, then that's just one more thing that I don't like about my favorite musical artist.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2003, 05:13:29 PM by echrisl » Logged

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
Lionel Hutz
Attorney-at-law
VIP

In loving memory of Phil Hartman

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2003, 05:30:55 PM »

It's bad because it's slow and boring
Madcap
Rocker

Kill Your Idols

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2003, 07:09:30 PM »

Nothing wrong with the song...just the writer of such song happened to tortured and killed a dime of people just because he believed he had "a cause". Why delete that song now? well, it's never too late, he should've never covered it to begin with.

i like the fact that he did cover the song....and i hate the fact that they are goin to delete it from TSI...it's just a song and it could mean anything to anybody...Manson or not it's a great song and shouldn't be deleted

Strangers passing in the street
By chance two separate glances meet
And I am you and what I see is me
St.heathen
VIP

I Won't Be Told Anymore

« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2003, 09:47:44 AM »

[quote author=Slash N' Dave
i like the fact that he did cover the song....and i hate the fact that they are goin to delete it from TSI...it's just a song and it could mean anything to anybody...Manson or not it's a great song and shouldn't be deleted

Totally agree.  I have to agree with something else Marilyn manson has said about Axl and that is that as strong a charactor and defiant as Axl rose can be - obviously in his writing he expresses himself and does n't compromise.  Yet on two occasions on their most controversial releases "One in a million" and "Look at your game", he backs down and appologises.

And now they are deleted off future releases. When it's important for supposedly intelligent society, too see from his explanations (which we have all read/heard).  He explains himself so clearly, why can't people understand?

Maybe he is planning on a stand alone double single with those two tracks lol (joke) imagine that!

It's a mass of confusion like the lies they sell to you !
anythinggoes
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2004, 05:15:14 AM »

at the end of look at your game girl Axl says "thanks Jazz" and then clicks his fingers like he's made a mistake and says "Jack" anybody know why? Huh
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2004, 05:41:48 AM »

I think it's "Thanks Chas".

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
anythinggoes
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2004, 05:46:18 AM »

whos Chas? then
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2004, 05:49:02 AM »

whos Chas? then

Charles Manson?

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
anythinggoes
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2004, 05:57:08 AM »

stupid me of course
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2004, 07:21:52 AM »

Surely he doesn't thank Charles Manson...ewww....that makes me feel ill, what was Axl thinking, the song is crap as it is without thanking a serial killer in it too.....

To preserve my respect for Axl i will believe he is referring to a producer or enginner or something....

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Crowebar
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2004, 07:44:51 AM »

and says "Jack" anybody know why? Huh

"Jack" is a sly reference to Ole Blue Eyes himself, Frank Sinatra.

When Frankie did his duets album with such alumni as Bono, Axl really wanted to be on it but Frank said he'd never sing with such a whining little suck as Axl Rose.

This, of course, pissed Axl off immensely.  rant rofl

Hence the 'Jack' thing at the end of that murderers song.  ok peace beer smoking
Axl4Prez2004
Legend

2007 AND 2011 HTGTH Fantasy Football Champ!

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2004, 06:43:42 PM »

I do believe he says, "Thanks, Chaz"  (Chaz being a common shortened name for Charles)

7-14-16  Philadelphia, PA
5-13-14  Bethlehem, PA
2-24-12  Atlantic City, NJ
11-26-11  Camden, NJ
11-5-06   Meadowlands, NJ
5-12-06   Hammerstein, NY, NY
12-2-02   Boston, MA
7-25-92   Buffalo,
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2004, 06:39:35 AM »

Surely he doesn't thank Charles Manson...ewww....that makes me feel ill, what was Axl thinking, the song is crap as it is without thanking a serial killer in it too.....

To preserve my respect for Axl i will believe he is referring to a producer or enginner or something....

the lyrics are written by manson, and he wore that manson shirt the uyi tour, why wouldn't it be charles???  Huh

i guess axl didn't support the act of killing several people, but there are other things about manson that facinated and inspired and or related too axl aswell as the other bandmembers..

ofcourse it's manson, the producers and engineers and the somethings are thanked in the booklet...

and i must say that i enjoy that song, one of the top five on tsi imo

peace

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
MeanBone
VIP

Portugal Rocks!

« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2004, 06:45:30 AM »

i happen to like that song a lot. charles manson may be a serial killer but he did make a cool song. and just because someone likes his song doesn't necessarily mean they aprove of his killings...

Chinese Democracy!
jet
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2004, 10:13:57 AM »

Before preparing "The Spaghetti Incident" every member's picked up his favourite song (or just the song he'd like to perform). Axl's choice was "Look at your game, girl" written by Manson. So I guess that's the best explanation.
Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2004, 10:29:07 AM »

and says "Jack" anybody know why? Huh

"Jack" is a sly reference to Ole Blue Eyes himself, Frank Sinatra.

When Frankie did his duets album with such alumni as Bono, Axl really wanted to be on it but Frank said he'd never sing with such a whining little suck as Axl Rose.

This, of course, pissed Axl off immensely.  rant rofl

Hence the 'Jack' thing at the end of that murderers song.  ok peace beer smoking

Is that so?

How do u know that?
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2004, 11:07:53 AM »

Although, probably a poor choice, I think the whole Manson thing, the song, t-shirt, was a joke to Axl.  He had gotten such a bad reputation during the tour that I think he thought it was darkly humourous to align himself with the famed cult leader.  
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2004, 12:27:41 PM »

Before preparing "The Spaghetti Incident" every member's picked up his favourite song (or just the song he'd like to perform). Axl's choice was "Look at your game, girl" written by Manson. So I guess that's the best explanation.

Axl heard the song, liked it and apparently he could relate to it. Then he found out who had written it.

/jarmo

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: