Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:40:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  Why GNR covered C. Manson ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why GNR covered C. Manson ?  (Read 69602 times)
lennonisgod
VIP

TWAT

« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2004, 12:34:56 PM »

Before preparing "The Spaghetti Incident" every member's picked up his favourite song (or just the song he'd like to perform). Axl's choice was "Look at your game, girl" written by Manson. So I guess that's the best explanation.

Axl heard the song, liked it and apparently he could relate to it. Then he found out who had written it.
/jarmo

Apparently Marilyn Manson claims that he turned Axl on to "Helter Skelter".  There is a quote from Manson on this site accusing Axl of taking his idea.  But anyway, people in the industry say that if Charles Manson hadn't gone crazy, he probably would have made it as a musician.  I guess the guy was pretty talented.  BTW Helter Skelter, I believe was his bands name.  Correct me if I'm wrong. smoking smoking

Social class and registers, Cocaine in the hall, All the way from California...
John Daniels
I wish I could edit this custom title.
VIP

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2004, 12:35:56 PM »

"Jack" is a sly reference to Ole Blue Eyes himself, Frank Sinatra.

When Frankie did his duets album with such alumni as Bono, Axl really wanted to be on it but Frank said he'd never sing with such a whining little suck as Axl Rose.

This, of course, pissed Axl off immensely.  rant rofl

Hence the 'Jack' thing at the end of that murderers song.  ok peace beer smoking

for starts (if true), great piece of info!!!! how the hell do you know that??..from where have you heard this kind of story and do you have anything that backs this story up??
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2004, 03:50:24 AM »

Before preparing "The Spaghetti Incident" every member's picked up his favourite song (or just the song he'd like to perform). Axl's choice was "Look at your game, girl" written by Manson. So I guess that's the best explanation.

Axl heard the song, liked it and apparently he could relate to it. Then he found out who had written it.

/jarmo

i thought axl wrote the melody to that song  Huh so are you sure he actually heard it and then coverd it? i thought he read the lyrics and then made a melody for it.. i don't think manson ever recorded that song, but correct me if i'm wrong Huh

if manson recorded it, have you heard it? whats it like?

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2004, 05:19:03 AM »

As far as I remember, Axl's brother was the one who played the song to him.

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
jet
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2004, 06:10:21 AM »

Then I don't know. Ask Axl, he knows the answer. yes
John Daniels
VIP

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2004, 06:23:15 AM »

/jarmo

yeah, I recall that also

and Manson did record the song 'cause I've downloaded the song from this board and heard it..(don't remember if I still got it)
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2004, 07:03:20 AM »

/jarmo

yeah, I recall that also

and Manson did record the song 'cause I've downloaded the song from this board and heard it..(don't remember if I still got it)

could you please let me have it if you still got it? that would be highly appreciated

[ok]

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
John Daniels
VIP

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2004, 08:35:31 AM »

/jarmo

yeah, I recall that also

could you please let me have it if you still got it? that would be highly appreciated

I'm tried to find it, but it's not in my mp3 folder, so I guess I've deleted it..but I keep on searching it. And I got it from this board, so I guess here are members that still got it.
John Daniels
VIP

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2004, 08:48:49 AM »

/jarmo

yeah, I recall that also

I'm tried to find it, but it's not in my mp3 folder, so I guess I've deleted it..but I keep on searching it. And I got it from this board, so I guess here are members that still got it.

I found it. so how I get this file to you..? (I't works with mediaplayer)

and, now that I started to think about it, theres not really a proves, that the man singing on this song, is Charles Manson...that's was only told on board, that this is a legit recording. (anyone is familiar with the voice of Manson..? )
Crashdiet
Banned
VIP

'Absolutely'

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2004, 01:02:16 PM »

Charlies did record it... i saw a cd in the record store of charles manson and it had the tune on it...

I have a charles manson cd... live from san quinten.... Uh i certainly don't think he was destin for musician success... its not very good

Check out www.myspace.com/ashjonesmusic
Its me and my songs

Saskatoon, Sask Place March 16 1993

New York, Hammerstein Ballroom
May 12, 14, 15, 17
John Daniels
VIP

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2004, 01:09:18 PM »

Charlies did record it... i saw a cd in the record store of charles manson and it had the tune on it...

I have a charles manson cd... live from san quinten.... Uh i certainly don't think he was destin for musician success... its not very good

thanks for info! I have only this one song..so I guess this is the best of his material..
erose
Legend

Live ?!'@ Like A Suicide

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2004, 03:15:28 AM »

thanks for the song john, i don't know if it is manson or not, i've never heard his voice before.. the tune tho gave me chills down my spine... creepy as hell
 nervous

victory or death

even if it costs ?9.50
DarkSecret
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2004, 06:24:31 PM »

Surely he doesn't thank Charles Manson...ewww....that makes me feel ill, what was Axl thinking, the song is crap as it is without thanking a serial killer in it too.....

To preserve my respect for Axl i will believe he is referring to a producer or enginner or something....

No, no, no
it's a great song!
Artfull
Rose's voice in it is something worth listening without all technical background and improvements
Feels like in a theatre, gives the chill
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004, 06:35:08 PM by DarkSecret » Logged
DarkSecret
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2004, 06:34:08 PM »

And I actually always thought that he said: thanks JUST... Jack!
kockstar99
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2004, 09:16:04 AM »

According to Manson he did.. Im reading the book "The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell" the Book by Marylin Manson and even he has negative things to say about the main man W Axl Rose...  Ill post it..

So what happened with Guns N' Roses was that Trent took me to a U2 concert one night and backstage I met Axl Rose. He was very neurotic and was telling me all about his psychological problems, his split personalities, and I felt like, "This guy's a total fucking flake." Being the oversealouse type, I started telling him about my band anyway. And I said, "You know we do this song "My Monkey" and its an adaptation of a Charles Manson song off his album LIE"

And he's like, "I never heard of that before."
I told him, "You should check out the album, it's cool." And lo and behold six months later Guns N' Roses put out The Spaghetti Incident and Axl Rose covers "Look at Your Game Girl" from the LIE album.

Then he started getting all that heat from Sharon Tates sister and everybody. When our album was finished after that, we had the song "My Monkey" on it but I had this five-year-old kid Robert Pierce sing on it. That was the great irony: Here's a kid thats singing a song that to him is an innocuous nursery rhyme but to everybody else is this horrible thing.

After we turned the album in, I got this call from Trent and John Malm, who's Trent's manager and runs Nothing Records. And they're like, "Listen, are you willing to out your album with out the song "My Monkey" on it?"

I asked, "Why?!"
And they said, "Well, Inerscope is having problems because of the shit that Axl Rose has got. He's had to donate the proceeds of the song to the victims' families."

I said, "Well I dont have a problem with that. Just explain to me whats going to happen." (The entire song wasn't Charles Manson's song. I just borrowed a few lyrics and the rest were my own.)
   In the end Inerscope insisted that we take the song off. I said, "No." So they told us they weren't going to put the album out.

BTW Manson did say he wanted to cover "One in a Million"
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2004, 09:22:47 AM »

So what happened with Guns N' Roses was that Trent took me to a U2 concert one night and backstage I met Axl Rose. He was very neurotic and was telling me all about his psychological problems, his split personalities, and I felt like, "This guy's a total fucking flake."

The phrase 'taken out of context' springs to mind

Why would Axl, a very secretive, proud and private man start talking about personal problems to a total stranger?

Could it be Axl heard Manson was deranged and was joking with him? ''yeah i'm mad too''

As ever i will take this with a pinch of salt.

Quick! To the bandwagon!
badapple81
« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2004, 09:28:34 AM »

Regarding One In A Million.. I remember mid-late 90s, Manson said something like.. he wanted to cover One In A Million cos he was baffled as to how Axl could do it, then not back up his words.. something like that.. so he wanted to cover the song.. I dunno.. some sorta weird irony I guess..

Well Manson didnt back up what he said he'd do now, did he?  ok
grabaraxl
Rocker

stick to your guns

« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2004, 09:50:59 AM »

Why would Axl, a very secretive, proud and private man start talking about personal problems to a total stranger?

and why would you say that Axl is a very secretive, proud and private man? do u know how he is on social event? i met some rock stars and football players, that in 5 minutes are telling you about their personal problems (i wasn't talking to them as a fan, just a friend of a friend).
Izzy
Whine, moan, complain... Repeat
Legend

More than meets the eye

« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2004, 10:00:32 AM »

and why would you say that Axl is a very secretive, proud and private man? do u know how he is on social event?

Er..... Huh Roll Eyes

The ten year virtual silence for the secretive part

His determination and self belief he exudes for the proud part, recording One in a million despite knowing the flak he would take

That he doesn't even go to his own birthday party's and keeps himself to himself for the bit about being private

What ur problem mate? What i said was fairly obvious - u don't need to have meet Axl, its simple common sense......

Quick! To the bandwagon!
Surge
« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2004, 10:04:42 AM »

From my page GnRinfo.tk:

Slash: Stuart, Axl's brother, had a copy of the Manson cassette, and that particular song had significant lyrical matter, especially since Manson was singing it. We were a little bit shy about doing it, because we didn't want anybody to pin us on a Manson thing.

This sort of backs up something I read once, that Axl said that they used to have a game at his house where they would play music and guess what it was. Stuart once brought in the tape of Charles Manson and played it and no one knew the song "Look At Your Game Girl" (which is track number one), but Axl really liked it. It surprised him that Manson wrote it.

Well, I do believe that story. Sorry for not having the complete quote on the page. It sometimes sucks that I didn't collect everything.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: