Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 06:08:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227942 Posts in 43255 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Guns N' Roses
| |-+  Guns N' Roses
| | |-+  GN'R Behind THe Music is supposedly being produced.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GN'R Behind THe Music is supposedly being produced.  (Read 68436 times)
HoldenCaulfield
VIP

I strike to burn and no flame returns...

« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2004, 04:07:22 PM »

It's just kinda sad that this is gonna be a promotional tool for Velvet Revolver. All we'll hear about is "how mentally unstable Axl is, and how he drifted away from the band's vision of the kind of music they wanted to make. Eventually, he became somewhat of a tyrant, and the guys couldn't take the abuse and unstability any longer, so they left to do solo projects while Axl, over the next 10 years, worked and worked on a new album, and while we're still waiting, the former members of GNR have come full-circle and they have a brand new album coming out in June". Blah blah blah.

If a body meet a body, comin' through the rye...
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2004, 04:15:16 PM »

The saddest part about the whole thing tied hands is what you described is the dead on truth. Just think of where this band was at one point and where they are no. It really is a shame.
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2004, 04:23:59 PM »

It's just kinda sad that this is gonna be a promotional tool for Velvet Revolver.

Not at all...If this is all true, its great.  The old members are contributing to whats sure to be an interesting show, and pushing Velvet Revolver as well.  Why wouldnt you want to see Velvet Revolver tell their story and use the negatives of the past for a positive future...?

Ill answer - its because youre an Axl fan, not a GNR fan.  Well, Im positive that Axl had/has his chance to contribute and give his story and maybe push the new band in the process.  

All we'll hear about is "how mentally unstable Axl is, and how he drifted away from the band's vision of the kind of music they wanted to make. Eventually, he became somewhat of a tyrant, and the guys couldn't take the abuse and unstability any longer, so they left to do solo projects while Axl, over the next 10 years, worked and worked on a new album, and while we're still waiting, the former members of GNR have come full-circle and they have a brand new album coming out in June".

Sounds pretty accurate to me. yes
POPmetal
« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2004, 04:39:44 PM »

Who's to say Axl didn't/won't have the opportunity for a BTM (or any VH1 special) when and if CD is released?  I would think he'd be a hot interview commodity no matter what the circumstance.  

The timing issue makes marketing sense for both VH1 and VR, it's just business.

Maybe the week before CD comes out VH1 will do BTM on Nine Inch Nails with just Fink, side people like Rob Halford, and no involvement from Trent Reznor or even Flood  Wink
That's the type of junk we have here. A Behind the Music on GN'R without Axl is gonna be LAME period. I can't believe that some people are actually so excited about getting the same old story repackaged as a BTM.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 04:42:42 PM by POPmetal » Logged
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2004, 04:48:35 PM »

See the thing is, there are some people out there that don't know the story and don't know why the band originally broke up. Those are people that are going to want to watch this because they will remeber being fans, but always wondered what happened to those guys. If nothing else, this BTM will make Axl look even worse (and I didn't think it was possible) because he won't come on and it will be heavily slanted that Axl was the true reason behind GNR dissolving. People are going to believe what they see on TV, and Axl will have an even greater mountain to climb over when he decides to come out of hibernation. I am almost beginning to think his comeback is doomed because I just don't believe he is in touch with what it is going to take to be the biggest band in the world again in terms of promotion. I used to think he had a grand master plan, Now I just think he is lost and doesn't know any better.  no
PeterCoffin
Rocker

don't wear floppy pants

« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2004, 04:59:13 PM »

It is my opinion that Axl does have a master plan, but it too closely resembles a Rube Goldberg machine for anyone else in the world to care (except his management, whom I believe is equally insane).

Also, it is my opinion that the blabbermouth thing is probably accurate, BUT may not be completed information. I'm not saying I believe for a second Axl will manage to get his shit together and appear on the BTM, I am saying it is POSSIBLE. "More information will be availble soon" is the last line of the article, I believe.

But like I said, I find it rather unlikely that Axl wil be on it. Why? Because it would make sense.

Also, this BTM is no doubt to me a VR publicity vehicle - those that say otherwise are naive. And it's not sleasy business to list past accomplishments to promote future projects. Ever listed someone as a reference on your application to work somewhere?

Thought so, "sleezeball."

POPmetal
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2004, 05:51:00 PM »

Also, this BTM is no doubt to me a VR publicity vehicle - those that say otherwise are naive. And it's not sleasy business to list past accomplishments to promote future projects. Ever listed someone as a reference on your application to work somewhere?

Like I said, there's no problem with saying you were in GN'R, but to make a show about it to promote your new band is completely different. I would think Velvet Revolver can stand up on their own merits without Slash and Duff having to abuse the name of a band they quit 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 06:09:38 PM by POPmetal » Logged
POPmetal
« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2004, 05:51:46 PM »

See the thing is, there are some people out there that don't know the story and don't know why the band originally broke up. Those are people that are going to want to watch this because they will remeber being fans, but always wondered what happened to those guys.

Yeah, I know that the masses will be all over this show and VH1 will no doubt get huge ratings out of it. But that would be the same people who are buying the shitty GH package and going gaga over Sympathy For the Devil. I was surprised that there are people HERE (meaning particularly YOU and SLCPUNK) who are that excited about gating the same old crap repackaged as BTM.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 06:10:26 PM by POPmetal » Logged
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2004, 06:02:24 PM »

Im all for Vr doing well and promoting their stuff.

Im not trying ot make this an axl vs vr thing either. Ill bet anything vh1 contacted axl about this. and he refused. his loss.

All im saying is that for it to be done right and objective a btm should include axl and of course izzy. thats all. If vr wasnt a band or coming out with an album they wouldnt be doing such a thing either.

Im totally for promoting what the old members of gnr did in gnr. im not trying to take anythign aways from them and they should be formally reconized in such a show like btm. But it has to to have axl and izzy. i mean cmon

and for those who do not htink that the show will paint a nice "survivor" type ending for the vr members and hwo they overcame the "selfshish crazy" redhead and formed there own band your completely wrong. and again theres nothing wron with promoting vr its just that the show is not going to include any interviews from the frontman. And thats not right.

Vr doesnt need a gnr btm to promote vr. they cpould have easily said we wont do this unless its done right. I thought that was there attitude and philosophy all along? o wellll

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
kockstar99
« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2004, 06:22:16 PM »

Riding on the Coat Tails of the GnR Name...
pilferk
The Riddler
Legend

Marmite Militia, taking over one piece of toast at a time!!!

« Reply #170 on: May 03, 2004, 06:39:46 PM »

It's just kinda sad that this is gonna be a promotional tool for Velvet Revolver.

Not at all...If this is all true, its great.  The old members are contributing to whats sure to be an interesting show, and pushing Velvet Revolver as well.  Why wouldnt you want to see Velvet Revolver tell their story and use the negatives of the past for a positive future...?

Ill answer - its because youre an Axl fan, not a GNR fan.  Well, Im positive that Axl had/has his chance to contribute and give his story and maybe push the new band in the process.  

All we'll hear about is "how mentally unstable Axl is, and how he drifted away from the band's vision of the kind of music they wanted to make. Eventually, he became somewhat of a tyrant, and the guys couldn't take the abuse and unstability any longer, so they left to do solo projects while Axl, over the next 10 years, worked and worked on a new album, and while we're still waiting, the former members of GNR have come full-circle and they have a brand new album coming out in June".

Sounds pretty accurate to me. yes

Au Contraire, mon frere.  I think Tied, as well as others voicing displeasure, are fans of GnR...which is precisely the point.  You're not going to hear the WHOLE story of gnr...you're going to hear Slash and Duff's version of that story (and I'm not saying Axl's version is MORE correct...it's just different).  There will be no "balance" from Axl, no explanations, there will be no insight into the creative process from Izzy (who, I think, was more important to the band than Slash, Duff, and Stephen combined), no one to contradict two guys who have "rehersed" their stories countless times, in countless interviews that we've all heard a million times.  And, to be perfectly clear, I wouldn't want a BTM without Slash, Duff, Steven, Gilby, and even Matt (I'm joking) involved, either.  They were all lin the band..they all deserve to say their piece.  To do it any other way just makes the project sorta...I don't know...wrong. Just as it wouldn't be fair to paint Axl as the asshole, it wouldn't be fair to paint him as the saint, either.  

And, really, without BOTH sides of the story...there really isn't a story at all.  Calling it "Behind the Music" is a complete misnomer in this instance since, without Axl, and maybe even more importantly without Izzy, you have no music.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 06:45:20 PM by pilferk » Logged

Together again,
Gee, it's good to be together again,
I just can't imagine that you've ever been gone
It's not starting over, it's just going on
axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« Reply #171 on: May 03, 2004, 07:02:58 PM »

I don't know who your referring to here, but axl is just as much guilty of that as anyone. He toured and played a couple of new songs.but basically played all songs of which were partially created by the original members.

Axl did nothing to distinguish the old gn'r from the new gn'r during the north american tour, he basically relied solely on appetite for destruction era songs to promote that tour. At least they are using the gn'r name for good to promote an album, not drag it through the mud by not showing up for shows and screwing fans out of a chance of seeing him in concert. And I would rather see axl's project, but I don't get how you can say that vr and co are riding on the coat tails of gn'r. They actually are out their trying to play new music, it's not their fault if axl is not proactive enough to do anything at all.

I still don't think this show will be any good without izzy or axl. They have the most interesting stories and the one's less heard by anyone.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 07:06:40 PM by axls#2 » Logged

What Goes around comes around!
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #172 on: May 03, 2004, 07:04:13 PM »

Like I said, there's no problem with saying you were in GN'R, but to make a show about it to promote your new band is completely different. I would think Velvet Revolver can stand up on their own merits without Slash and Duff having to abuse the name of a band they quit 10 years ago.

For all intents and purposes, VR is already standing up on their own merits (single,vid, sold out tour, album release date etc.) without  "abusing the name of a band they quit 10 years ago." one iota.

Up to this point, they've been fairly diplomatic about Axl and their time in GNR when asked the inevitable questions regarding their collective pasts, while still focusing on VR in general.  

As I've said before, this will benefit GNR, hardcore fans are the only one's drawing battle lines.  The same people who bought the GH package will surely watch whatever VH1 shows GNR/VR related.

As Michael Corleone assured his brother Sonny, "It's just business, it's not personal."

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2004, 07:13:46 PM »

One other thing, there's no doubt that BTM will spike the GH package sales as well as the back catalog, so to say it's purely a VR promotional vehicle is skewed at best...

I'm sure Geffen/Interscope is loving this...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
POPmetal
« Reply #174 on: May 03, 2004, 07:17:55 PM »

I don't know who your referring to here, but axl is just as much guilty of that as anyone. He toured and played a couple of new songs, but basically played all songs of which were partially created by the original members, Axl did nothing to distinguish the old gn'r from the new gn'r during the north american tour, he basically relied solely on appetite for destruction era songs to promote that tour. At least they are using the gn'r name for good to promote an album, not drag it through the mud by not showing up for shows and screwing fans out of a chance of seeing him in concert. And I would rather see axl's project, but I don't get how you can say that vr and co are riding on the coat tails of gn'r. They actually are out their trying to play new music, it's not their faulty if axl is not proactive enough to do anything at all.

It appears that some people still don't understand that Slash and Duff quit Guns N' Roses. Axl stuck with it. It's great that VR are out there playing their own music, which is all the more reason they shouldn't be milking the GN'R name.
POPmetal
« Reply #175 on: May 03, 2004, 07:18:13 PM »

For all intents and purposes, VR is already standing up on their own merits (single,vid, sold out tour, album release date etc.) without  "abusing the name of a band they quit 10 years ago." one iota.

Up to this point, they've been fairly diplomatic about Axl and their time in GNR when asked the inevitable questions regarding their collective pasts, while still focusing on VR in general.  

Exactly! Which is what makes this all the more disappointing if these rumors are indeed true.
POPmetal
« Reply #176 on: May 03, 2004, 07:21:30 PM »

One other thing, there's no doubt that BTM will spike the GH package sales as well as the back catalog, so to say it's purely a VR promotional vehicle is skewed at best...

I'm sure Geffen/Interscope is loving this...

Indeed they are. I doubt it would help Contraband sell either because they sound a lot more like STP than like GN'R. But I also doubt it would get us any closer to a CD release date. If anything, it would piss Axl off and he'll just put things off longer.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #177 on: May 03, 2004, 07:41:16 PM »

Exactly! Which is what makes this all the more disappointing if these rumors are indeed true.

Pop, so you agree they've been respectful of GNR's legacy and the timliness of the BTM won't help VR sales wise, what's you general problem with the idea, the non participation of Axl?
Wouldn't you agree he probably had the opportunity to tell his version but in all liklihood declined?

And as for your observation that it won't get us any closer to a CD release date and pissing off Axl to a point of putting things off longer, I agree fully.  There's no doubt in my mind it'll
further put him deeper and deeper in the throws of his own Axldom.  

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

SLCPUNK
« Reply #178 on: May 03, 2004, 08:03:48 PM »

I would think Velvet Revolver can stand up on their own merits without Slash and Duff having to abuse the name of a band they quit 10 years ago.

First of all you, or anybody else here don't know the entire content of the show.

And second if anybody has abused the name of the band they were in 10 years ago...it would be Axl. Not the other guys.
axls#2
Fire, fire, fire
VIP

« Reply #179 on: May 03, 2004, 08:04:07 PM »

Pop, so you agree they've been respectful of GNR's legacy and the timliness of the BTM won't help VR sales wise, what's you general problem with the idea, the non participation of Axl?
Wouldn't you agree he probably had the opportunity to tell his version but in all liklihood declined?

And as for your observation that it won't get us any closer to a CD release date and pissing off Axl to a point of putting things off longer, I agree fully.  There's no doubt in my mind it'll
further put him deeper and deeper in the throws of his own Axldom.  

well put. And i don't really understand how this would delay the cd if axl actually had it ready, it seems everything axl has been doing lately just plays into the hands of somebody else. that's a self-destructive attitude, why wouldn't he just release the cd when its done, and stop all of the bitching about how other people are screwing him over?

What Goes around comes around!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: