Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:57:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Harmonics
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Harmonics  (Read 4130 times)
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« on: May 03, 2004, 11:10:09 AM »

Hey i was wondering if someone could explain all the different types of harmonics that can be done on a guitar and also how to do them?

eg: pinch harmonics etc.
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 11:47:37 AM »

you get an explanation on pinched harmonics on the thread called "How to pick a squeel" or something... :p

NATURAL HARMONICS:
when you pick an open string and gently touches the string on the 12th fret.. it should kinda muffle the sound but it gets harmonica'zide... :p

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 01:18:33 PM »

You can get natural harmonics with relative ease from the 12th, 7th, 5th and 4th frets. You can also find natural hamonics from the other side of the 12th fret too, but they're the same (if I'm not mistaken) as the others. Good songs to listen to are Joe Satriani's "Summer Song" and "Up In The Sky"

Then another kinda cool way is to take a sound, and tap the string 12 frets from the original sound, leaving the first sound under there (I'm so bad at explaining this). That way you get a natural harmonic like above, but you can take it from where ever you wish. You can find a great example of this from Extreme's song "Lil' Jack Horny". The intro to that is played like that.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 01:24:48 PM by Skeba » Logged

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
guitarpatch
Headliner

"Holding back the Big Guns!"

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 06:57:17 PM »

Another cool thing you can do is once you can play the natural harmonics on the 12th fret, you can play any note as a harmonic, for example if you held a barre on the first fret, you can then play harmonics by placing your index finger over and any string on the 13th fret and playing the string with your ring finger. I don't know if this make sense but good luck

Aerosmith, DreamTheater, Jeff Beck, Andres Segovia, Leo Brouwer, Guns, and Bach. Oh yeah, Bach, what else to you need in Life?
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 04:48:51 AM »

ok i can do natural harmonics, still yet to try the other methods. The problem is...........for me they don't sound like how harmonics sound in other songs (either im doing it wrong, or doing the wrong type). Mine sound like a bell, while the ones in songs sound like a scream.

i was listening to zz tops "la grange" and the second solo has the harmonic sound i think i wanna be able to do, i think it might be a pinch harmonic/ pick squeal then. I'll have a look at the other topic to see if i can do them and if i need more help i'll come back here.

Also, what's an artificial harmonic? whats the difference?
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2004, 11:38:11 AM »

i think that they might be using pinched harmmonics.... if it squeels its pinched..

and atrificial is the thing where you hold down on the first fret and gently touches the fret that are 12frets "below" if you know what i mean..

natural is the thing touching the 12th fret on open string...

fake harmonics are the same you just hold on a fret and touches the fret exactly 12 frets down... same shit really....

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
jrs2001_99
Rocker

I can't believe you just said that

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2004, 03:25:28 PM »

You generally need to have alot of distortion and volume to get a good squeal I think...

http://www.theanswermusic.com/

The best true Irish rock band since Thin Lizzy
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 06:12:59 PM »

actually i think artifcial harmonics, pinch harmonics, false/fake harmonics are all just different terms for a pick squeel.

You can get harmonics at other places than the 12th fret btw.  Just turn your distortion right up, and continuously pick the low E whilst touching your finger on the string and moving it up and down from zero to the tweflth fret and you'll see what I mean.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 06:24:46 PM »

For a use of harmonics listen to the end of SCOM on Live Era (i think it's on Live Era ?) or on the Tokyo tape
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 06:47:53 PM »

Yeah, tapped harmonics....thats the same thing EVH does at the beginning of Spanish Fly.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 08:07:02 PM »

Listen to I Remember You by Skid Row.
At the end of Scotti Hill?s solo he does something really cool:
He  plays the 3rd string at the twelve fret and  after it rings a little while he slightly tuches the 24th fret with his right finger and  there you got a cool armonic!!!!

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: