Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 01, 2024, 02:32:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227981 Posts in 43256 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  boycott contraband
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: boycott contraband  (Read 78181 times)
sandman
Legend

« Reply #160 on: May 12, 2004, 12:50:22 PM »

jarmo - i'm lost. i've never heard anyone describe a band as "dangerous" and i have no idea what it means.

Jarmos reffering to Duffs use of the word in several interviews to describe the band.

I personally dont get the word...to me its like "contemporary".  Another word thats thrown around without any clear definition.

While I dont consider VR "dangerous" for the reasons many have pointed out - middle-aged, millionaire veteran musicians dont exactly make you think of danger - they sort of are in a sense.  In the same sense that Courtney Love, at 40 years old, is still "dangerous," so is this band - Weiland in particular.  Like Love, hes not necessarily the most stable guy.  And I think thats what Duff means by it.  In addition to the high-powered, violent live energy, I assume his use of "dangerous" is synonmous with "unpredictable."  I dont believe hes trying to pass the band off dangerous in the sense that Jarmo seems to interpret - as having some kind of message or something...or as literally dangerous.  Theyve got a raw, powerful energy and Scott can be somewhat unpredictable in his performing - diving into the crowd and what not - so thats my interpretation.

Whatever the case, its certainly a bad word to use, as it opens up this kind of criticism because its so vague.  Also, a band shouldnt label themselves as "dangerous," they should let the fans and press do that.  But for all intents and purposes, "dangerous" is a confusing, arbitrary description for a rock band.

"you are what you think you are."

i agree, it's such a vague term. which is why i don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal out of it. cause who knows what Duff's definition of "dangerous" is???

maybe it's just him being confident, in a semi-sarcastic kind of way.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
jarmo
If you're reading this, you've just wasted valuable time!
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #161 on: May 12, 2004, 01:21:22 PM »

i agree, it's such a vague term. which is why i don't understand why everyone is making such a big deal out of it. cause who knows what Duff's definition of "dangerous" is???

You don't think this is kinda funny?

While Velvet Revolver inevitably offers a few echoes of its members' illustrious pasts, their sound is defiantly forward-looking and truly fresh in all senses of that word. "Our music is very aggressive," says Duff. "There's always that 'Fuck you' element to it. Really that's all we know how to do. We can't play nice or play radio. Slash, Matt and I were always that way in Guns N' Roses, and Scott and Dave are very like-minded. To me, this is the first dangerous band that's come around in a while ? truly dangerous. People are going to say, 'Oh a supergroup. These guys have everything.' And I can understand that, but we're not coming at this that way. We really hope to bring some chaos back into the whole world of rock."

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
madagas
« Reply #162 on: May 12, 2004, 01:27:55 PM »

Duff must be back on the bottle....
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #163 on: May 12, 2004, 01:36:57 PM »

Duff must be back on the bottle....

No doubt, probably taking shots in between finance classes
at the University of Seattle..

No offense to his fans in general, but Duff's goofy...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #164 on: May 12, 2004, 02:05:51 PM »

yes it's hilarious actually BUT VR is putting out a record and a very good one at that while we don't know what is going on with axl and new gnr. So why not just enjoy contraband.
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #165 on: May 12, 2004, 02:27:38 PM »

yes it's hilarious actually BUT VR is putting out a record and a very good one at that while we don't know what is going on with axl and new gnr. So why not just enjoy contraband.

WTF has his quote to do with Axl?  Huh

They could put out ten of the best rock albums ever in one day, it's still funny to me.

Oops, I just said what Booker's supposed to say.  Sorry B! hihi

/jarmo

Disclaimer: My posts are my personal opinion. I do not speak on behalf of anybody else unless I say so. If you are looking for hidden meanings in my posts, you are wasting your time...
sandman
Legend

« Reply #166 on: May 12, 2004, 03:06:39 PM »

You don't think this is kinda funny?

While Velvet Revolver inevitably offers a few echoes of its members' illustrious pasts, their sound is defiantly forward-looking and truly fresh in all senses of that word. "Our music is very aggressive," says Duff. "There's always that 'Fuck you' element to it. Really that's all we know how to do. We can't play nice or play radio. Slash, Matt and I were always that way in Guns N' Roses, and Scott and Dave are very like-minded. To me, this is the first dangerous band that's come around in a while ? truly dangerous. People are going to say, 'Oh a supergroup. These guys have everything.' And I can understand that, but we're not coming at this that way. We really hope to bring some chaos back into the whole world of rock."

/jarmo

i don't find it funny, but i guess i see where you're coming from.

the thing is, i agree 100% with duff when he says that they're bringing something different to the rock music scene.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #167 on: May 12, 2004, 03:20:47 PM »

I agree that the dangerous label is a bit on the lame side, but I think they are just trying to establish that the are not the typical cookie-cutter band that gets mainstream airplay.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #168 on: May 12, 2004, 09:43:38 PM »

Tomass, I HATE Don't Cry!! LOL-I watched the Slither video again last night. Honestly, being completely fair, it is only small parts of the song that have that god awful high pitched tone on the guitar-not as much as I originally thought. The song is catchy and the band does seem very tight-it will be a good live show and I am truly happy for Slash that he has found a true frontman that he can connect with. I just wish the tone of the guitar was a little dirtier and rougher, because the structure and intro are cool and the melody is catchy. I really liked Slither at El Rey because it seemed looser and rougher. Even though I am in to more artier stuff these days like older Radiohead and Wilco, I'll be getting Contraband. Also, listening to alot of Alice in Chains now. Man, Axl could use a guy like Jerry Cantrell but the redhead may be a lost cause at this point. beer

Well hopefully they release lots of cool dirty live shows for ya!!! Jerry Cantrell is DA MAN too!!!

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #169 on: May 12, 2004, 10:03:20 PM »

The timing is bad

Why is the timing so bad? Did you want them to wait til CD comes out??? It i sthe BIGGEST fucking joke in the world also , when people start saying that this lawsuit is delaying CD.  Chinese Democracy get delayed everytime Axl crawls out of his hole and see's his own pathetic shadow.

Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #170 on: May 12, 2004, 10:11:51 PM »

In the new fhm, Matt jokes that they will release 3 more records (in addition to contraband) before CD

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #171 on: May 12, 2004, 10:30:55 PM »

It still amazes me how many people here are against VR and Contraband. I mean I love VR, but I'm still looking forward to the day that Axl actually releases CD too.

Here we have 3/5 of UYI era GN'R releasing a new album that they claim to be a kickass record (and from what I've heard so far, they're right!), but people still bitch about it.

Very strange... confused

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2004, 05:08:10 AM »

It still amazes me how many people here are against VR and Contraband. I mean I love VR, but I'm still looking forward to the day that Axl actually releases CD too.

Here we have 3/5 of UYI era GN'R releasing a new album that they claim to be a kickass record (and from what I've heard so far, they're right!), but people still bitch about it.

Very strange... confused

Why is it strange? Some people just don't like the lead singer. Does it sound familiar?

Some others don't like the guitarist etc. etc.

/jarmo

eNgIeS
Rocker

OHHHH RIGGGHHHTT

« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2004, 05:56:44 AM »

And people can bash VR for suing Axl but if what they claim is true they have every right to sue him.

I like Axl but I still like the old guys and will not turn my back on them and boycott them 'cos they fell out with Axl.

So we're boycotting a band that is fighting for  their creation, yet we continuallly support a band who constantly disappoints us and screws us over?

I think we should all boycott VRs new album for their latest stunt to fuck over axl.
Just when you think slash or duff cant get any lower they do.

I think we should send you to live with Axl, his pseudo wife/mother Beta, and his pet reptiles in that big white mansion in Latigo where the the nearest convenice store is a 15 minute drive down the hill. Grin

I was always somewhat concerned of your blind loyalties to Axl. I know we once shared the same level of loyalty only 5 years ago. Since then, I've reduced my loyalties of Axl to focus on his music, lyrics and past performances (with the old GNR), while you insist on not only gassing yourself of the nuGNR, but joining Axl in your rhetoric against the old members, without whom you would have never heard GNR in the first place.

I am shocked to come to the VR boards and to see this shit plastered on here. rant rant rant
I thought that for the Axl fans it was all about the music. Now I see that its about personal antagonisms that have fermented after years of inactivity by the nuGNR and the sudden transformation of VR into radio and video staples as well as late night musical performers and guests on Letterman & Kimmel.
Sure "Slither" doesn't have the lyrical deepness of GNR - but it has an attitude and energy to it that has been lacking in many areas of Rock music for a while now. The video also kicks crazy amounts of ASS  smoking

VR also has grown up Rock Stars who have overcome addictions to all sorts of shit and who have nearly died on several occasions and who have come so far to putting their lives back together to such an extent that they now have a record poised at multi-platinum status and the restoration of the credibility of one of the greatest rock bands of all time. But you guys can't respect that. You only respect a frontman who can't get his life together. It makes me wonder if you and the Axl lovers have lives on your own.

Its people like you who are actually Axl's worse enemies. Duff said it right when explaining how all of Axl's "yes-men" screwed with his mind and stunted his productivity by being extra-flexible with him. Axl himself has told each of you how to live your lives and not worry about the new GNR until the time comes (or doesn't come).

Of all my years visiting this website, this is the lowest, dirtiest, scumbagged, desperate, retarded evil thing I have ever seen!!!
Im going out to have a fun time this summer in Israel with hot chicks, hookas, great food and parties with VR blasting in the background, mixed in with AFD and UYI.
In the meantime, you and the Axlovers can continue playing chess and debating among yourselves what the meaning of the various dubbed voices in "Madagascar" are. rofl

I don't give a fuck.
Velvet Revolver RULES! smoking
Mark N' Revolverz

I think we should all boycott VRs new album for their latest stunt to fuck over axl.
Just when you think slash or duff cant get any lower they do.

Oh come off it you goddamned hypocrite.  Don't even insinuate that Slash and Duff are the ones stooping and fucking Axl over.

Axl attempting to use shitty re-recorded versions in movies so that the original GNR members don't receive royalties is lower than low.  Even I didn't expect Asshole Rose to stoop this low.  Not only was that shitty version of "Sweet Child O Mine" in Big Daddy a slap in the ex members' faces, it was a slap in the fans' faces as well.

And now you're calling Slash and Duff low because they want to stop Axl from continuing to ruin their music and fuck them out of royalties?   Roll Eyes

Axl is the lowdown, egotistical bastard fucking them over, and it's blatantly obvious.  He doesn't give a fuck about anybody but himself, he'll stoop to any level to hog Guns N Roses, its music, and its legacy all to himself.

How about this Dave, I think I'll buy ten fucking copies of VR's album just on principle.

All these people basically have said all I wanted to say to Dave

=================================================
I will probably not buy Contraband, not because I want to boycott VR but simply because I was not impressed by the music I heard so far. I think "Slither" and "Set Me Free" are not that good (especially SMF which, in my opinion, is pretty bad). Plus, I'm not a big fan of Weiland's voice so unless I am very impressed with the other tracks, I don't think I'll get it.

& thats definately fair enough. I dont think anyone has a problem with people not buying because they just dont like the music on it, thats all good, but its a shame to see these few Axl brain washed idiots having so much hate for 2 great guys who gave us great music with Axl
eNgIeS
Rocker

OHHHH RIGGGHHHTT

« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2004, 06:05:24 AM »

BRAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA. I return to this board for the first time in like 8 months and DaveGnR3K9 is still posting his usual stuff.  Remember when I offered you a bet in 2002 that CD wouldn't come out by July 4, 2003? Ah the good ol' days.

I remember Daves predictions too, like he said he GUARANTEED it would be out by a certain date & its well past that now. Wonder what Dave has to say about that now
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2004, 06:31:37 AM »

Very strange... confused

Why is it strange? Some people just don't like the lead singer. Does it sound familiar?

Some others don't like the guitarist etc. etc.

/jarmo

It's strange because it's a new band featuring 3 ex-GN'R members being discussed on a GN'R message board. And to not like like them is one thing, but to downright hate them is another, I've seen more of the latter on these boards lately.

I'm just saying that if I can like both Axl's new-GN'R and also like VR, why can't others?

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
jarmo
Administrator
Legend

"You're an idiot"

« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2004, 07:07:40 AM »

It's strange because it's a new band featuring 3 ex-GN'R members being discussed on a GN'R message board. And to not like like them is one thing, but to downright hate them is another, I've seen more of the latter on these boards lately.

You never noticed that certain people hate Axl? It's the same thing. It only seems to upset you because some fans hate the "wrong" people.

I'm just saying that if I can like both Axl's new-GN'R and also like VR, why can't others?

I think the majority does.

/jarmo

Captain Obvious
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2004, 11:14:37 AM »

My interest in VR was about a 10, but after hearing Set Me Free and Slither, it dropped down to about a 6. I think some others feel similarly. Really, I don't care what they do on their spare time, I'll buy their CD if they make great music - something which I still haven't heard.  
amundsma
« Reply #178 on: May 14, 2004, 12:12:22 AM »

Anyone who is boycotting this album because it's not Axl is a geeeeek.  At least these guys have the balls to put something out.  Personally, Scott is probably a better entertainer than Axl.  Don't be a loser and boycott the album.  Whatever is good you should buy it and this album is gonna be good.  
Gunner17
Rocker

What we got here is...

« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2004, 01:46:25 AM »

I'm going to buy Contraband, the first bought CD in a while. I look forward to the realease, as well as the Philadelphia show on May 28th. I have higher hopes for them showing up, unlike "Guns N' Roses" in December of 2003 who made a great fear of mine come true that night. I really don't care who sues who. I just want a fucking rock album again, a real one, and I hope that Velvet Revolver has created one.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: