Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 14, 2024, 05:33:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1228037 Posts in 43258 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  boycott contraband
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: boycott contraband  (Read 78348 times)
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2004, 07:36:50 PM »

only movie was big daddy that i can recall that had gnr material in it, im sure all agreed, a good compromise, some old scom and then the new!

Cant Hardly Wait was another.

Im not so sure all agreed.  I could be completely wrong, I probably am, but I would venture to guess that the reason for the morph (not to mention its inclusion deep in the credits and not in the soundtrack) is so that the old members get their royalties while Axl showcases the new band.  It might be perfectly legal, but Im not so sure the old band agreed to it, because in a situation like that  they probably dont have a say, since its only in the credits.  If anybody knows more about the situation, feel free to set me straight, because Im just guessing.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2004, 07:40:26 PM »

I will probably not buy Contraband, not because I want to boycott VR but simply because I was not impressed by the music I heard so far. I think "Slither" and "Set Me Free" are not that good (especially SMF which, in my opinion, is pretty bad). Plus, I'm not a big fan of Weiland's voice so unless I am very impressed with the other tracks, I don't think I'll get it.

Not impressed with the tunes.

Not a fan of the singer.

Now those are good reasons not to buy a record.

Boycott?  Too bitter smelling for my blood...

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2004, 07:46:35 PM »

I think we should all boycott VRs new album for their latest stunt to fuck over axl.
Just when you think slash or duff cant get any lower they do.

You are such a stupid little immature twat. Can't you see that they are suing because Axl screwed THEM in the first place? He doesn't allow them commercial opportunities for songs THEY HELPED WRITE!

Everyone here knows that you love Axl beyond belief and would provide him with the best oral sex he's ever had in his life, not to mention have his children. It comes as no suprise to me... you were just waiting for a reason to say something like this, because you love Axl and hate the new band which is actually doing something.

Good, boycott it. I would be embarrased if I ever saw your waste-of-sperm, Axl-dick-sucking-groupie ass at a VR concert.

(NOTE: Axl is one of my favourite musicians, I have no hate for him. I just hate his sub 80 IQ groupies who would buy his sewage on Ebay with their life savings.)

I am immature when you are the one calling me names that is a good one.

Btw you really need t o get  your facts straight.
First off, slash was the one who nixed the idea of WTTJ being on the black hawk dawn sound track, so what do  you think of that?

Also, did you read those movies they want gnr songs in? They were trash, why should axl sell out, yes we all know slash likes to sell out but axl wont sell out to the highest bidder.
Gnr are not a corp rock band like aerosmith and bon jovi are, both who sell a lot of their songs to movies. You really want gnr to be viewed as that?

Do you really want to hear gnr songs as stupid gingles for car comericals or cerial comericals? I sure dont. Gnr were NEVER about that, so why start now?

Also if im not mistaken, doesnt axl also have a right to say no to having a song in a movie? You know that axl wrote 42% of AFD right?
That is more than any other member, so Id say axl has more right than any other band member to say what song can or cannnot be used in a movie.

Also why is it ok for slash to say no to having a gnr song in a movie but its not ok for axl to?
You didnt see axl try and sue slash when slash said no to having wttj in BHD but now of coarse we see slash and duff suing axl over a band they quit so long ago.

They are a joke.

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2004, 07:49:13 PM »

BTW other people need to get their facts straight too.
The old guys still get roytalies for afd, lies, uyi, tsi, and live era as they do with GHs so I really dont see the problem.
The only album they wont get any thing from is chinese democracy.

BTW some of you crack me up.  I make a post about boycotting this album and most of you act like a bunch of 12 year olds and throw a hissy fit. LOL how mature.
 rofl rofl rofl
« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 07:54:15 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2004, 08:08:19 PM »

Where did slash say that he didn't want the "original" Welcome to the Jungle on blackhawk down. If you beileve the rumors, it was nixed because Axl wanted to rerecord the track with the new band.

Second, don't start me on GNR not selling out to movies, they have music on some soundtracks.

End of Days
Days of Thunder
IWTV
along with a few others.

When a song is on a soundtrack, it sells copies. Each copy sold is a small precentage to the band that played on it. If Axl nixed 4 movies, thats a decent chunk that duff and slash don't get.

Axl Rose owns the name Guns N Roses, but he doesn't own all the music.

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2004, 08:18:04 PM »

First off, slash was the one who nixed the idea of WTTJ being on the black hawk dawn sound track, so what do  you think of that?

Please correct me if Im wrong with quotes/evidence proving otherwise, but it appears (from the few articles on this so far, as well as older quotes from music supervisors on BHD) that Axl wanted to include a re-recorded version of "WTTJ".  Anybody can understand the old band objecting to that.

Also, did you read those movies they want gnr songs in? They were trash

1) Thats not even the issue, the issue is the members rights to consider their licensing.

2) Thats your opinion

why should axl sell out, yes we all know slash likes to sell out but axl wont sell out to the highest bidder.
Gnr are not a corp rock band like aerosmith and bon jovi are, both who sell a lot of their songs to movies. You really want gnr to be viewed as that?

You conveniently forget that Guns N' Roses music has been licensed to:

Jim Rome  Welcome to the Jungle (1998) Performer  
Original Soundtrack  Lean on Me (1989) Performer  
Original Soundtrack  Days of Thunder (1991) Performer  
Original Soundtrack  Interview with the Vampire (1995) Producer, Performer  
Original Soundtrack  Grosse Pointe Blank (1997) Producer, Performer  
Original Soundtrack  Can't Hardly Wait (1998) Performer  
Original Soundtrack  End of Days (1999) Performer  
Original Soundtrack  End of Days [Clean] (1999) Performer  
Various Artists  Nobody's Child: Romanian Angel... (1990) Performer  
Various Artists  Vid Grid (1994) Performer  
Various Artists  Rocks Off (1995) Performer  
Various Artists  Kuschelrock, Vol. 9 (1995) Performer  
Various Artists  Soft Rock: 36 Classic Rock Ballads (1996) Performer  
Various Artists  Best Rock Anthems In The World..... (1996) Performer  
Various Artists  Rocktober (1998) Performer  
Various Artists  Kuschelrock, Vol. 8 (1999) Performer  
Various Artists  Decline of Western Civilization,...  

...as well as Big Daddy.  And lets not forget the Terminator 2 commercial that was "You Could Be Mine".  So I guess its okay for Axl to "whore" out his music to 8 or 9 movies, but not 12 or 13 -  Huh  And its especially okay if he re-records the songs to, right?

Do you really want to hear gnr songs as stupid gingles for car comericals or cerial comericals? I sure dont. Gnr were NEVER about that, so why start now?

Where did you see anything about car/cereal commercials?  The discussion as far as I know, is movies - which as I just proved, is nothing new to GNR.

Also if im not mistaken, doesnt axl also have a right to say no to having a song in a movie? You know that axl wrote 42% of AFD right?
That is more than any other member, so Id say axl has more right than any other band member to say what song can or cannnot be used in a movie.

Thats what will be decided.  It seems that hes saying no without even consulting anybody else.

Also why is it ok for slash to say no to having a gnr song in a movie but its not ok for axl to?
You didnt see axl try and sue slash when slash said no to having wttj in BHD but now of coarse we see slash and duff suing axl over a band they quit so long ago.

Regardless of whether they quit the band, Guns N' Roses and the music they made will be a part of the ex-Gunners (in a business sense) lives forever.  So they can easily "move on" while maintaing their rights to past music, and the notion that they arent moving on because of this lawsuit is preposterous.  Theyre moving on by creating new music with a new band, doing tours and promotion, etc.,  but that doesnt mean they should throw away their rights to the music they made.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2004, 08:44:19 PM by Booker Floyd » Logged
Mattman
Sk8er boi
VIP

It's better to burn out than to fade away...

« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2004, 09:34:23 PM »

Gee, I don't see why people can't see the wisdom behind Dave's idea.  I mean, when your favourite band hasn't released an album in over 10 years, the sole remaining original band member is now a dictator launching comeback attempts that his own inability to function help sink, and now a few of the original members are forming a band with a dynamic young frontman that's about to tour and actually release an album of kickass rock...well, why wouldn't you want to boycott the album?  Makes perfect sense to me. Roll Eyes

I, like most of the posters here, am buying the Velvet Revolver album.  Because I like to hear new music.  Because even though I greatly admire Axl (at least, the old Axl), I'm not blindly loyal to him.  Because Slash is, along with Tom Morello, one of the best guitar players in the world right now.  Because Scott Weiland looks and sings like a lean, drug-fuelled rock god.  Because Duff McKagan fuels their songs with a punk spirit.  Because Matt Sorum is a drumming demon.  Because Dave Kushner is an undiscovered guitar talent.  Because Velvet Revolver are a band with a firm future, an album they're not afraid to release, an aggressive rock 'n' roll sound, and in short, the balls to do what Axl still can't: present their music to loyal GN'R fans.
Acquiesce
VIP

« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2004, 11:41:47 PM »

BTW some of you crack me up.  I make a post about boycotting this album and most of you act like a bunch of 12 year olds and throw a hissy fit. LOL how mature.
 rofl rofl rofl

Yet, you're the one who acts like a 5 year old blinded by their idol worship. How lame can you be to try an organize a boycott because your idol is being called out for all the shit he has done. It's time to take off the blinders and take a look at the big picture around you.
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2004, 12:10:18 AM »

BTW other people need to get their facts straight too.
The old guys still get roytalies for afd, lies, uyi, tsi, and live era as they do with GHs so I really dont see the problem.
The only album they wont get any thing from is chinese democracy.

rofl rofl rofl

I was a few seconds into an ass ripping editorial about you when I realized two things:

I was spending more than 5 minutes on you, and that Jizzo, Booker, and Mattman just utterly demolished your argument.

ckgent
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2004, 12:46:27 AM »

instead of boycotting contraband,(unless you really feel the music sux), why dont we just boycott the originator of this topic. This person will then realise what it is like to be ignored for no real reason other than us deciding they are not worth dealing with. I may sound pathetic suggesting it, but perhaps then the original poster will realise the stupidity of this post.
Im fully prepared to take any abuse, if its felt i deserve it, but velvet revolver should be allowed to gain fans through their own merit as guns had to do.

I wish velvet revolver all the best(im not sure if im a fan yet or not, time will tell) and also axl the best with guns new album.

I will not have some fuck tell me what to listen to.
providman
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2004, 12:59:11 AM »

I think we should all boycott VRs new album for their latest stunt to fuck over axl.

I think we should send you to live with Axl, his pseudo wife/mother Beta, and his pet reptiles in that big white mansion in Latigo where the the nearest convenice store is a 15 minute drive down the hill. Grin

I was always somewhat concerned of your blind loyalties to Axl. I know we once shared the same level of loyalty only 5 years ago. Since then, I've reduced my loyalties of Axl to focus on his music, lyrics and past performances (with the old GNR), while you insist on not only gassing yourself of the nuGNR, but joining Axl in your rhetoric against the old members, without whom you would have never heard GNR in the first place.

I am shocked to come to the VR boards and to see this shit plastered on here. rant rant rant
I thought that for the Axl fans it was all about the music. Now I see that its about personal antagonisms that have fermented after years of inactivity by the nuGNR and the sudden transformation of VR into radio and video staples as well as late night musical performers and guests on Letterman & Kimmel.
Sure "Slither" doesn't have the lyrical deepness of GNR - but it has an attitude and energy to it that has been lacking in many areas of Rock music for a while now. The video also kicks crazy amounts of ASS  smoking

VR also has grown up Rock Stars who have overcome addictions to all sorts of shit and who have nearly died on several occasions and who have come so far to putting their lives back together to such an extent that they now have a record poised at multi-platinum status and the restoration of the credibility of one of the greatest rock bands of all time. But you guys can't respect that. You only respect a frontman who can't get his life together. It makes me wonder if you and the Axl lovers have lives on your own.

Its people like you who are actually Axl's worse enemies. Duff said it right when explaining how all of Axl's "yes-men" screwed with his mind and stunted his productivity by being extra-flexible with him. Axl himself has told each of you how to live your lives and not worry about the new GNR until the time comes (or doesn't come).

Of all my years visiting this website, this is the lowest, dirtiest, scumbagged, desperate, retarded evil thing I have ever seen!!!
Im going out to have a fun time this summer in Israel with hot chicks, hookas, great food and parties with VR blasting in the background, mixed in with AFD and UYI.
In the meantime, you and the Axlovers can continue playing chess and debating among yourselves what the meaning of the various dubbed voices in "Madagascar" are. rofl

I don't give a fuck.
Velvet Revolver RULES! smoking
Mark N' Revolverz

That was beautiful, Mark. There is no possible rebuttal to that that could possibly make any sense(not that they won't try).

Also, what Mark said about this place turning dirtier & scummier than it's ever been is right on the mark too. One only has to look at this thread & the one on the GnN forum where all those Axl people are having heart attacks  to see how pathetically out of touch with reality some people are, & how it, it seems, these people were looking for SOMETHING, ANYTHING, ANYTHING AT ALL, ANY REASON AT ALL to denigrade the old members, yet again, and to, yes, YET AGAIN, defend good ole Axl from those mean old former members.

echrisl
VIP

Use My Delusion

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2004, 01:44:55 AM »

Good idea Dave, let's boycott the band that puts out albums!   Roll Eyes

Enjoy the above post while it lasts ... lately posts made by those of us who maintain a firm grip on reality enjoy an infinitesimal lifespan. 

Yes, mods, I have noticed your fine work.  High Five!
D
Deliverance Banjo Player
Legend

I am Back!!!!!!

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2004, 02:55:41 AM »

hold it there dave! bon jovi had bad medicine in jay and silent bob strike back
i cant think of to many movies that featured bon jovi songs

young guns 2 was jon's solo project so dont even go there

dont include bon jovi in your arguments tryin to justify a boycott!

Who Says You Can't Go Home to HTGTH?
GitFuckedUp
Humble as a mumble in the jungle of shouts and screams
Rocker

Downpresser man, where you gonna run to?

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2004, 03:42:48 AM »

I'm with you!!! Just kidding. Get fucked...   up of course!!!  Grin But seriously, I'd like to say I think your idea sucks.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2004, 03:44:34 AM by GitFuckedUp » Logged

-Catch you on the flip-floP-
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2004, 04:43:48 AM »

I will be buying the album, slash and duff and the rest always were cut out of profits and it's about time they put their foot down

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
liquidvirus
Mechanical Animal
VIP

Gettin Down and Dirrrty

« Reply #55 on: May 05, 2004, 04:48:48 AM »

I will be buying the album, slash and duff and the rest always were cut out of profits and it's about time they put their foot down
EXACTLY!!
these guys were the real guns behind GNR and now u ppl hate them just because they want to sue axl
what about axl keeping the name all to himself....i mean we know that axl is great but he's not that great
and VR seems to be The band, these guys wanna play just for the sake of playing....these guys extrude energy and they look like they are gonna have a kickass album smoking
if anything we should boycott chinese democracy...i mean its about time that fucker was released Roll Eyes

Life is like a penis most people don't know it
But most people suck so they usually blow it.
Butch Français
Legend

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2004, 05:38:19 AM »

hehehe, I hope you march in the streets with banners on June 8th as well! help create some free publicity, it never hurts hihi
I wasn't sure about it before, but yes, I think I'll buy a copy with each colours cover now! you inspired me...thanks dave ok

of course there is no us and them, but them they do not think the same
page
Headliner

Worked to hard for my illusions

« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2004, 06:07:12 AM »

Buu-huu what a shame for little axl-baxl.
Give me a break man, its buisness and their in their good right. It seems like some people thinks that Axl it some sort of a Messiah and everything he does is soooo wonderfull and perfect and he`s just a little innocent boy whom everyone should do all the can to keep happy by whatever means. Whatever Axl does it`s not his fault , NOOO it`s always someoneelses fault.
Axl is far from an angel - his a fantastic musician but thats it. To boycot CB just because they don`t agree with Axls decision it just stupid and not exactly objectiv.

By the way Axl suid Slash and Duff back in 2000.
darkmonth
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2004, 07:48:05 AM »

You're as bad as the twats who say the same shit about Chinese Democracy in the Guns N Roses section.  Go away little boy and stop bothering us.
Bravefish
Rocker

Live and Let Die

« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2004, 07:52:06 AM »

super idea dave, one of ur best. good to see ur still continuing from the old days at the GNRforum when it was :

buckethead kills slash
Axl now is better than the old days
silkworms n rhiad are the best rock songs in the world
maddy beats any UYI material
i owe axl so much it's my duty
velvet revolver are average
slither is average

dont know bout anyone else, but that list may be a littttttttttle bit biased Roll Eyes

Good luck with the boycott, maybe if u burn down all music stores worldwide, burn down RCA and then you may ruin all chances that the album may sell. Start ur own anti-velvet street team. or run for president and make velvet revolver a serious crime with the penalty being death.
Maybe if u had been in slash's shoes, seen what had happened and then seen some whining child (no offence to children) going on about boycotting ur music, u could really see that this argument is....how can i put it.....

SHIT!!

Fish

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: