Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:22:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Spectacle - VR on tour
| | | | |-+  St. Louis Review
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: St. Louis Review  (Read 18040 times)
Will
An American in Paris
Legend

State of love and trust

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2004, 05:09:12 PM »

I wonder what Scott meant when he said " this is the last time you'll see us like  this"

From the article:

"What you see, you won't see again, not like this, not in this place," Weiland advised. His words suggested Velvet Revolver's venue choices will grow substantially from here, and there's no reason to doubt him.

Ignatius
Legend

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2004, 05:32:08 PM »

I wonder what Scott meant when he said " this is the last time you'll see us like  this"

From the article:

"What you see, you won't see again, not like this, not in this place," Weiland advised. His words suggested Velvet Revolver's venue choices will grow substantially from here, and there's no reason to doubt him.

Thanx.

Yeah, I hadn't read the article. Now I have.
SLCPUNK
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2004, 05:32:24 PM »

If there was any question about Weiland's performance, it was, "Axl who?"

There has already been a line drawn in the sand. You know who is going to get the good reviews and who isn't.

I don't care really.

I'm buying my ticket to the LV show tomorrow. He is right, it will be the last time we will be able to see them in such a small venue. And I'm going to be there alright!
kockstar99
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2004, 06:17:03 PM »

This Review kind of makes me want to go see them...  
Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2004, 06:28:33 PM »

From the newspaper review posted by axls #2...

Velvet Revolver
By KEVIN C. JOHNSON
Post-Dispatch Pop Music Critic
05/14/2004

The buzz at the Pageant on Thursday night felt unprecedented - and probably was.

The evening marked the first date of the virgin tour of Velvet Revolver, a new supergroup bringing together Stone Temple Pilots' beleaguered lead singer Scott Weiland and an Axl Rose-less Guns N' Roses.

Anticipation over this old-but-new outfit was such that the band's kickoff show here was a rapid sellout, and for good reason.

A fully loaded Velvet Revolver fired off a set of explosive songs from its upcoming CD "Contraband" while treating the enthusiastic crowd to tunes from the Stone Temple Pilots and Guns N' Roses vaults.

"Let's hear it for rock 'n' roll. I'm talking about (expletive) American rock 'n' roll," an impossibly lithe Weiland (has he ever been this skinny?) said at one point before he attacked several strains of new rock. "This is good old blues-based rock 'n' roll."

It was just rock, no other label needed, and that was part of its joy. Weiland, guitarist Dave Kushner and the former Guns N' Roses members - guitarist Slash, bassist Duff McKagan and drummer Matt Sorum - and came prepared and ready to rock out during the nonstop 80-minute set. They seamlessly blended the best of both of their former, faded bands despite some overbearing fuzziness in the sound mix early on.

Not to take anything away from the players, who excelled, but the magnetic Weiland was the star of the show. He was entirely watchable throughout, from the moment he took the stage wearing something that looked as if it were borrowed from the closet of the Village People's police officer character, though it didn't take him long to ditch the hat and jacket and go bare-chested. Weiland, still a true showman, featured a number of slippery, exaggerated moves. He had a way of allowing his shoulders to lead the way as he darted around the stage as though he were bouncing off the bumpers in a pinball machine.

Among his stunts were singing into a megaphone, performing atop a drink rail, nearly seducing Slash during one of the guitarist's solos and diving into the crowd, resulting in the loss of a pair of ear monitors (he tried to bribe whoever was holding out on the equipment). If there was any question about Weiland's performance, it was, "Axl who?"

Songs such as Stone Temple Pilots' "Sex Type Thing" and "Crackerman" and Guns N' Roses' "Used to Love Her" - introduced by Slash as "a little number you might or might not remember" - "It's So Easy" and "Mr. Brownstone" were easy and obvious crowd-pleasers, and fitting for the evening. But what was even more impressive was how the band managed to engage the crowd with material it had never heard before, such as "Do It for the Kids," "Big Machine" and "Fall to Pieces," which Weiland said he wrote after nearly losing his wife.

Fans were familiar with "Slither," the first single from "Contraband," and "Set Me Free," which came from "The Hulk" soundtrack.

Something special transpired onstage, and Velvet Revolver knew it.

Philadelphia rock band Silvertide opened the evening with a set of old-school rock from its "Show and Tell" CD.

Critic Kevin C. Johnson
E-mail: kjohnson@post-dispatch.com
Phone: 314-340-8191
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2004, 06:31:18 PM »

:crying:You wouldn't be unloyal to Axl by going you know. Embrace VR, since GNR refuses to release anything, this is the closest thing to rock&roll you're going to get. Also, it seems like it would be pretty cool to see them in such a small intimate atmosphere. I wish Axl would have done a tour like this to re-introduce the band in 2002. It would be awesome to get up close and personal like that. I mean lets be honest, STP were known for being a great live act, and God knows Slash/Duff know how to get it done live....put the two together and you have an electric concert to goto in a small place. Opportunities like this don't come around often. Go if you have a chance to go. I wish I could but they aren't coming anywhere close to Cleveland crying
sandman
Legend

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2004, 07:41:11 PM »

you just got me soooooo fired up for this show. awesome fuckin review, man. thanks!!!

by the way, the opening band was called Silvertide. they're from philly and they are gonna be huge.

"We're from Philly, fuckin' Philly. No one likes us, we don't care."

(Jason Kelce, Philadelphia Eagles, February 8, 2018
kockstar99
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2004, 08:09:50 PM »

They just announced a Denver Show so i think ill go check em out.... the reviews sound good.. I just didnt like the songs i have heard.. Slither and Set Me Free just didnt do it for me but im going to go see them...
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2004, 09:48:30 PM »

The megaphone did the same thing at the roxy, but I could of swore he threw that one off the ground really hard, oh well maybe not

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2004, 01:28:41 AM »

i hope they don't play any more old gnr songs. ISO, Brownstone, and Used to Love Her are enough.

I'm not saying to play Rocket Queen in addition to the other 3. Three GnR tunes are fine. I just think it would be cool if they learned Rocket Queen and a couple others so they could switch it up instead of playing the same 3 every show.  I also don't understand why you even give a fuck. You have made it quite clear that you don't like teh band even though you are constantly posting here. So it's pretty safe to assume you are not going to the show.

Dizzy
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2004, 10:49:35 AM »

So, no mention of Axl and the St. Louis riots?

Who was that bozo around here who was ready to bet his very life that the band would go onstage and mention Axl and the St. Louis riot 0f 1991?  Step forward and admit your wrong assumption please.   Tongue

The tickets were just 20 bucks??

Before scalpers got ahold of them, yes.  They were $22 on ticketmaster.

by the way, the opening band was called Silvertide. they're from philly and they are gonna be huge.

Cool, I've seen them once before, opening for Warrant and Slaughter.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 10:51:42 AM by Dizzy » Logged
DizzyReed63
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2004, 12:46:20 PM »

So, no mention of Axl and the St. Louis riots?

Who was that bozo around here who was ready to bet his very life that the band would go onstage and mention Axl and the St. Louis riot 0f 1991?  Step forward and admit your wrong assumption please.   Tongue

Duff did say something like, "this is our first time back to St. Louis, thanks for having us back. And then a fan who met him after show said that Duff said, "it wasn't your guys fault for that riot, we're glad to be back:
« Last Edit: May 15, 2004, 12:48:00 PM by DizzyReed63 » Logged
Dizzy
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2004, 10:16:10 PM »

Duff did say something like, "this is our first time back to St. Louis, thanks for having us back. And then a fan who met him after show said that Duff said, "it wasn't you guys fault for that riot, we're glad to be back:

But this dude swore that the band would mention it onstage during the show, and they obviously didn't.   peace
workerbee
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2004, 03:17:51 AM »

Dizzy's review pretty much covers it.  I for one was amazed at how great Duff & Slash looked.  The opening band, Silver Tide was really pretty decent - there were girls back by the bar giving away free sampler CD's of their upcoming CD.  

I was back right behind the soundboard and could look over most of the crowd (not that there was a "bad" place to be in The Pageant).  They did have some audio trouble early on - and IMO they never had the mix quite right - not to mention it seemed like they were driving some of equipment a little too hard.  I'm all for loud music but it was pushed up so far that everything had a little bit of a "razz" to it.  The vocals did seem to get lost in that.

Duff didn't mention the riot specifically, but everyone knew what he was talking about when he brought it up.  It was something like "St. Louis fucking rocks - you guys are great to have us back here, we're gonna take care of you tonight".

The whole scenario with Weiland losing his monitors was funny, he handled it well.  It was funny, Slash & Duff, guitars in hand were right up there at the front of the state helping Scott & security look for whatever audio stuff he lost.

To be honest, I initially wasn't thrilled with the selection of Weiland, but he does put on a good show.  Most everybody there seemed to be pretty familiar with his problems and I wasn't the only one who made a 7+ hour drive to catch the show (even though they'll be swiging closer by me later this summer).  Quite a few people mentioned that they really wanted to make this show because they didn't know how long Weiland could hold it together on the road.  

That being said, the guy really is a good frontman.   The freaky dance moves don't do anything for me, but he's got a really adaptable voice - he does the GNR stuff really well - keeps the music true to it's form, but doesn't try to sound like Axl.

I thought it was kinda funny when he came out initially - did anyone else notice that he almost was done up like pre-Appetite promo photos of Axl - you know, the ones where he's in the leather pants, police-type had and mirrored aviator glasses - that's exactly how Weiland came out, with the addition of a necktie.

Weiland's comment about the venue was dead on.  I'm glad I caught VR just getting things started - seeing the old GN'R lineup in a 2,300 capacity club was ABSOLUTELY FREAKIN' INCREDIBLE.   You can tell they're doing it because they love it.  Did anyone else notice that Matt had a HUGE smile on his face throught the whole set?  The guy looked like he was just havin' a blast.  

Two encore sets was pretty cool.  The crowd was so IN to the whole show.   I really couldn't understand any of the vocals on the new VR stuff, but the crowd was really enjoying it.  The crowd went wild as soon as the first few notes of any GN'R song were played.   My favorite tunes of the evening were Slither, Sex Type Thing and It's So Easy.   Slither was played hard and fast - more so than the released version.  I'm really looking forward to the CD now.

I've been a lurker for a while (used to do Boerio's Dust N' Bones list) but I know it seems there's a lot of people that think you're either Pro-Axl or Anti-Axl, well, I'll just say "Dont' miss out on VR because of your feelings about Axl".  The new guys didn't do any Axl bashing, just played a great set of music, and as I mentioned, you can tell they're doing it because it's what they love.   They're putting out some good tunes, and if Axl puts out C.D., well hopefully we'll get some more good music there too, so it's all good folks.

Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2004, 03:26:40 AM »

Just because you try or like VR and the new lineup you don't have to give up on GnR. With a 6 cd player you can have room for all 5 guns Cd and VR's new one.

I even have room for the 1993 Duff solo release Believe in Me...

BUT YOU SHOULD HAVE NO ROOM OR TOLERENCE FOR ADDLER'S APPETITE.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2004, 04:07:55 AM »

From the article:

was this a really small venue?
Dizzy
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2004, 09:32:54 AM »

Why the hell not?  I have all the room and tolerance in the world for the original drummer of Guns N Roses.
workerbee
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2004, 11:49:35 AM »

From the article:

was this a really small venue?

Yes, this place was essentially a small club or a large bar.  Max occupancy is only 2,300.  
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2004, 09:49:38 PM »

Just because you try or like VR and the new lineup you don't have to give up on GnR. With a 6 cd player you can have room for all 5 guns Cd and VR's new one.

I even have room for the 1993 Duff solo release Believe in Me...

What i she doing that Axl isn't besides not pretending he is GnR? The guys life is pretty much messes up and he is just trying to make a living. I would check it out if it came my way..

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: