Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:15:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Spectacle - VR on tour
| | | | |-+  Main floor crowds at VR shows?
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Main floor crowds at VR shows?  (Read 10588 times)
WalrusOct9
Headliner

one, two, three, fourteen

« on: May 16, 2004, 04:23:33 PM »

For those of you who've been to VR shows so far, what have the crowds been like on the floor?  At Gn'R in '02 I was in the front row in Detroit and while it was pretty tight up there, most people were pretty cool and respectful of everyone around them...everyone rocked out but we didn't have people trying to start mosh pits or crowd surf or basically distract anyone from listening to the band.  

I was expecting VR crowds to be the same, but the reviews I'm reading suggest otherwise.  I really want to get in front on the floor to watch Slash play, but if I'm going to constantly be at risk of some jackass crowd surfer's foot being slammed in the back of my head I'd rather go somewhere else in the theater so I can actually listen to the show a bit.  

I'm sorry but mosh pits and crowd surfers are fucking gay.  I hate it when people just stand still at a rock show, but I also don't understand the motivation people have to mosh and basically fuck things up for the couple people that actually care about the music.  Maybe it's just me though.  Anyways, how were the shows for you guys that were on the floor so far?  
DizzyReed63
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 06:42:28 PM »

It was pretty respectable.
No moshing... someone who was fighting in the middle got kicked out, cuz everyone was pointing him out.
Security was pretty strict, too.

2 kids tried to surf, and were immediately grabbed and tossed out on the street.
It was a little tight, but much more comfortable than I predicted.
So go for the floor man.
Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 08:00:20 PM »

It was pretty rough in KC, not for the feint of heart by any means.  Surfers, mosh pit, and fights.  

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
da_illest_in_402
Headliner

I'm a llama!

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 08:42:57 PM »

It was pretty rough in KC, not for the feint of heart by any means.  Surfers, mosh pit, and fights.  

Yeah..........it started off mellow.....then Scott Weiland started to call K.C. a country music town.......that got everybody riled up.

IT WAS AWESOME!!!!!!
Jizzo
Legend

Everytime,I'm falling down, Please take me home

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 08:44:17 PM »

Pretty much a little of everything, crowd surfing was cool the first time the guy did it, but the same guy 3 or 4 times, we started pulling him down. There was almost a fight, some guys got thrown

You know what to do, you know what I did
Since you know everything, just clue me in
I am such a wreck, I am such a mess
I know what I know - why don't you fill in the rest?
SLCPUNK
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2004, 03:42:57 AM »

No offense, but that was KC. When I saw GnR in LV everybody was cool. When I saw them in Boise...the crowd was a little less refined to say the least.  hihi
starchild_666
VIP

I'm a llama!

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2004, 05:35:44 AM »

moshing and fights are part of rock n roll concerts  hihi
WalrusOct9
Headliner

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 08:05:17 AM »

moshing and fights are part of rock n roll concerts

See, I was still under the impression most people go to concerts to see a band they like.  Silly me.
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 08:54:04 PM »

moshing and fights are part of rock n roll concerts

See, I was still under the impression most people go to concerts to see a band they like.  Silly me.

I don't know about the fights but people get into music all different ways.. If there are enough people to start a mosh pit then there are obviously anough people there that enjoy that. If you don't like it stay out of it. Moshing these days is a joke anyway and it isn't really moshing. Atleast most shows. Real moshing used to be the same thing as Slam dancing which I doubt you will find at a VR show.  There will be plenty of that at Ozzfest though..

Dizzy
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2004, 09:05:16 PM »

Moshing is fucking stupid.  I'm all for yelling, singing, jumping about, but beating each other up is fucking juvenile.

Ozzfest is cool because only a small portion of the pit crowd is actually moshing.  Most are just there to enjoy the show and avoid the moshers.  I've been to Ozzfest twice and the fans are a lot more considerate than the reports would have you believe.

I don't mind crowd-surfers at all.  Most of the time, people yell "heads up!" when there is a crowd-surfer coming your way, at least at shows I've attended.  And since I am a tall bloke, girls always ask me to lift them up to crowd-surf.   Cool
WalrusOct9
Headliner

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 09:51:23 AM »

I don't know about the fights but people get into music all different ways.. If there are enough people to start a mosh pit then there are obviously anough people there that enjoy that. If you don't like it stay out of it. Moshing these days is a joke anyway and it isn't really moshing. Atleast most shows. Real moshing used to be the same thing as Slam dancing which I doubt you will find at a VR show.  There will be plenty of that at Ozzfest though..

I know people get into shit in different ways, but I don't think that's an excuse to "get into it" in a way that's going to distract a bunch of people around you from their own process of rocking out.  It's like, "hey look at me, i'm crowd surfing" instead of "holy shit, look at that guy, he's fucking Slash!"
Where is Hassan Nasrallah ?
Coco
Legend

S?gol?ne Royal

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 05:07:53 PM »

moshing 's fun.sometimes.
come on, its a rock n roll show, not an opera.
we wanna jump, push, kick, punch, jump, scream (all that nicely off course)
i hated that the MSG 02 gnr show was floor seated .....

peace peace peace

WalrusOct9
Headliner

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 05:36:31 PM »

Yeah, but sometimes the person next to you might not want to get kicked or shoved in the middle of his or her favorite song.  I don't think we all need to be pussies all the time, but since everyone's there (theoretically) out of a common love of the music, it'd be cool if people were more considerate, ya know?  

I think it's just an american thing...i've never been to a show in Europe but when I see videos of European or Japanese hard rock shows, I never see that kind of moshing or crowd surfing...but the people are so fucking into it, singing along to every word and jumping and all that shit.  Must be a U.S. thing...
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 10:31:11 PM »

I know people get into shit in different ways, but I don't think that's an excuse to "get into it" in a way that's going to distract a bunch of people around you from their own process of rocking out.  It's like, "hey look at me, i'm crowd surfing" instead of "holy shit, look at that guy, he's fucking Slash!"

I agree about the crowd surfing. But there are some shows that I will get into a mosh pit and slam dance for certain songs that I really like and I am totally into the music. This is fo rheavier bands though like Slayer, Godsmack, Megadeth and such...

tomass74
Legend

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 10:33:19 PM »

Yeah, but sometimes the person next to you might not want to get kicked or shoved in the middle of his or her favorite song.  I don't think we all need to be pussies all the time, but since everyone's there (theoretically) out of a common love of the music, it'd be cool if people were more considerate, ya know?  

I think it's just an american thing...i've never been to a show in Europe but when I see videos of European or Japanese hard rock shows, I never see that kind of moshing or crowd surfing...but the people are so fucking into it, singing along to every word and jumping and all that shit.  Must be a U.S. thing...

I think it originated in England in the late 70's during the original punk movement..
« Last Edit: May 18, 2004, 10:33:54 PM by tomass74 » Logged

Falcon
Legend

Prime Mover

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2004, 10:37:07 PM »

I think it originated in England in the late 70's during the original punk movement..

Sid Vicious is credited with the advent of the "pogo" during the British punk movement.

I think the "moshing" started a bit after that.

www.thecult.us
www.circusdiablo.com

"So when we finish our CD, if we book a show and just play the CD and wave our hands around, it would be like what DJs do, right?" -Dave Navarro
WalrusOct9
Headliner

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 09:25:18 AM »

But there are some shows that I will get into a mosh pit and slam dance for certain songs that I really like and I am totally into the music. This is fo rheavier bands though like Slayer, Godsmack, Megadeth and such...

Somehow I don't think VR is anything like Slayer or Godsmack.  

But people are idiots...there were assholes crowd surfing when I saw Oasis.  I mean, it's freaking Oasis.  Great fucking band, but not exactly Slayer in the "metal" department.  People just get stupid when loud music and alcohol mix, methinks.
Dizzy
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 05:40:23 PM »

Exactly.  Every single concert I've attended and seen people moshing, the moshers never pay one damn bit of attention to who they're pushing around.  I've seen them knock around petite girls (who obviously are NOT moshing) and then not even bother helping them up.

Even worse, I've been to a concert in a small crowded club and had to deal with moshers.  It was uncomfortable enough being jam packed on the dance floor without the idiot moshers, but then they started shoving and pushing, and everybody on the dance floor got pushed, shoved, and squeezed; male or female, small or big, willing participant or not.
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 05:52:19 PM »

Exuce my ignorance but as I speak spanish I don?t get this:
What is to mosh and what is surf (on a concert)??

Slashly//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Dizzy
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2004, 08:53:30 PM »

Exuce my ignorance but as I speak spanish I don?t get this:
What is to mosh and what is surf (on a concert)??

Moshing is nothing more than a bunch of blokes bashing each other around, punching, kicking, shoulder-butting, and the like.  Like a WWF royal rumble more or less, only there's no title shot for the winner, making moshing utterly pointless.

Crowd-surfing is when someone hoists you into the air and you body-surf on people's upstretched hands.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: