Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:23:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Post your own Contraband review here
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post your own Contraband review here  (Read 236631 times)
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2004, 08:09:41 PM »

That is the best point made yet. NEITHER band will rule the world or make music lke Guns did from 87-93. That is abundantly clear from what we have heard of both bands. All teh New GNR songs sound like something we would have heard during the illusions era, and the VR songs are what they are. We have heard nothing from either band that is in the same league as SC,PC,NR,WTTG and so on. They are all 40 year old men now, we will never hear rockers the way they were when they were 20, thats just the way life goes.
w.axlrose
Headliner

truefan4life

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2004, 08:13:24 PM »

it basically rocks hard and the ballads r nice and not over the top, its surely better than the stuff ive been hearing lately, its quite raw too-8/10 Smiley

I READ THE INTERNET, I KNOW WHAT'S GOIN' ON
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2004, 08:13:31 PM »

Why are people comparing VR to new gnr? I thought we cant do that.
I get bashed for it when I said new gnr is better than VR

Roll Eyes

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Top-Hatted One
VIP

AKA Slash_is_God

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2004, 08:18:26 PM »

I haven't heard the song off the mtv/vh1 sites but so far I give it a 8.5

with AFD being a 10
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2004, 08:18:27 PM »

I think the only band both bands are being compared to is the real Guns n' Roses, and 9 out of 10 people here would agree that neither band is as good as GNR was. They're is not a whole lot of debate about that. We can get into the potential of each band all we want, but neither band will sell 60-70 million records worldwide and play stadiums and have epic songs like SC and WTTG which will be staples on any rock radio format from now until eternity. I know their are a few(dave) members of this board that are dellusional enough to think that New GNR is somehow a better band than GNR, but that is not true. And the same goes for VR, neither band touch GNR...so we just need to accept at this point both are merely just doing the best immitation of the original thing they can.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2004, 08:26:02 PM »

Naupis I am curious, What if CD is better than AFD then what?

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2004, 08:32:31 PM »

I'll make you a deal Dave, when something from CD supplants WTTG at every sporting event I ever goto, or a riff from CD ranks hire on every all time Riff list than SC, or it sells 25 million albums, or it leads to them becoming the hottest ticket in America.......I will come on this board and tell you I was wrong. I am going to sleep pretty well though in the assumption none of the above is most likely going to happen.
GNRisAFD
Headliner

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2004, 08:33:24 PM »

There isn't a better lineup than Axl, Izzy, Slash, Duff and Steven, end of story.

The chances that CD will ever come out are stronger than the chance of it being superior to AFD. Besides i don't think we could compare it because both records are sure to be world's apart musically.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2004, 08:39:05 PM »

I'll make you a deal Dave, when something from CD supplants WTTG at every sporting event I ever goto, or a riff from CD ranks hire on every all time Riff list than SC, or it sells 25 million albums, or it leads to them becoming the hottest ticket in America.......I will come on this board and tell you I was wrong. I am going to sleep pretty well though in the assumption none of the above is most likely going to happen.

OH so since boy bands and girl bands like BSB or B Spears can sell 25 million albums it means they are better than gnr?
I dont think so. And you mean 25 million world wide?

Cd could be better than AFD yet not sell 15 million even  you know that.

Madagascar is better than most  of the songs on AFD.

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2004, 08:45:48 PM »

Well....I'm offering you an objective way to determine this. If you have a better set of objective criteria to use I would like to hear it.

Also, we'll throw out boy bands and stuff and look at it within the rock genre. Again, I was using lists generated by magazines for guitars, album sales, and universal playing of Jungle at all sporting events. Those are objective measures....not u or me going well this is a better song. Come up with a better criteria then if you don't like my objectives. I will certainly be interested in hearing them.
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2004, 08:45:52 PM »

no, its not. Maybe better than Anything Goes, Youre Crazy and Think About You, but thats about it
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2004, 08:48:40 PM »

no, its not. Maybe better than Anything Goes, Youre Crazy and Think About You, but thats about it

madagascar is better than everything but wttj, brownstone, pc, and scom.

Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2004, 08:49:35 PM »

You're going to say CD is better than Appetite even if its not just to justify the 7 years you have spent on this board advocating that this is a better band than anything Axl has ever been in. I mean that would make you look a little ridiculous if CD ends up bombing with the public after you have told anyone within ear shot for the last however many years that it will be better than Appetite, because if its not it doesn't justify breaking up the band in the first place and changing the musical direction the way Axl wanted. So we all know how you will come down on that debate if and when it ever happens.
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2004, 08:50:35 PM »

word. i don't see why people continue to make the comparisons. Madagascar could not possibly be more different than the Appetite songs. An Illusion comparison would make more sense.
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2004, 08:52:15 PM »

To me its impossible to create a better album than AFD if you gonna spend 10 years, hire lots of players from different backgrounds, spend millions and try to recreate the magic. It doesnt work that way unfortunately.
Im pretty sure CD will be pretty good but its not going to be a rock staple like AFD was because you really cant duplicate that, there isnt a theory or a formula to create those albums they just happen when all key elements are on place.
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2004, 08:52:23 PM »

I'm waiting.....I want to hear this way we are going to eventually judge which album is better that does not include statements like "its a better song because I said so."
Eduardo
VIP

Its just that demon life has got him in its sway

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2004, 08:57:41 PM »

madagascar is better than everything but wttj, brownstone, pc, and scom.

What about Nightrain, Rocket queen, Its so easy???
badgirl
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2004, 09:01:09 PM »

I'm waiting.....I want to hear this way we are going to eventually judge which album is better that does not include statements like "its a better song because I said so."

i always thought the "because i said so" defense illustrated supreme intellectual mastery, no?
 Grin
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2004, 09:01:26 PM »

I have another one for you......go find any rock album countdown list and Appetite is in everyone of them. If in 5-10 years CD has displaced Appetite, I will again concede defeat. As it stands I can point to multiple places that list appetite as one of the best 5 rock albums ever. Cd will have to displace it onthose lists to be considered the better Guns album.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2004, 09:06:10 PM »

naupis i guess you didnt read  my question.
I said WHAT IF CD is better than AFD what then?
I didnt say it would be but what if it is.

There are better albums than AFD and you never know CD could be one of them.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: