Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:31:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227820 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Post your own Contraband review here
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post your own Contraband review here  (Read 237737 times)
Naupis
Legend

I'm a llama!

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2004, 09:09:14 PM »

Again, I am giving you my criteria for what it will take to be considered better, and that is just most likely not going to happen. Also, I told you that I would come on this board and publicly apologize for calling your claims it could/would be better ridiculous. As I have layed out though, the criteria is has to match/beat is just not going to happen. Everyone on this board knows that, and Axl knows that, which is why we haven't heard anything from him in the past 11 years even though that album has been done for at least 2.
Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2004, 09:11:29 PM »

People should just post their reviews instead of arguing with Dave.

I really love LTA, it's perhaps the most soulful song on the album.  And a beautiful melody by Slash.  YGNR is also really cool, like I said Weiland sounds like Bowie on that one.

The "hard" rockers don't really stand out to me, I hear a variety of influences, like the Stooges, and even Soundgarden, but it's definitely trying for a more modern appeal, which isn't going to fly with some people, like me.  I'm not too enamoured with FTP either, there is something generic about it.  

A lot of energy though.  7/10
GNRisAFD
Headliner

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2004, 09:15:24 PM »

Madagascar better than most of AFD?

That has got to be the most ridiculous thing i've heard in a long time, i'm sure you'll find many people who'll agree with you on that one. Not.
dave-gnfnr2k
I left this board for good once
Banned
Legend

When all I've got is precious time

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2004, 09:16:43 PM »

Madagascar better than most of AFD?

That has got to be the most ridiculous thing i've heard in a long time, i'm sure you'll find many people who'll agree with you on that one. Not.

and i thought music was all subjective  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 09:17:21 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

This is for BabyGorilla and the people like him.
Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
W.Bailey
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2004, 09:32:48 PM »

GNROSAS nailed it

so dissapointing ....this is like a STP record or something.... big letdown
GNRisAFD
Headliner

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2004, 09:36:52 PM »

Dave,

You may think Mad is better than most of AFD which is fine but the vast majority of GNR/music fans in general would strongly disagree with you.

Majority rules.

dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2004, 09:38:36 PM »

Dave,

You may think Mad is better than most of AFD which is fine but the vast majority of GNR/music fans in general would strongly disagree with you.

Majority rules.

its nice to know you can speak for the vast majority of gnr fans and know what is on their minds  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 09:39:23 PM by dave-gnfnr2k » Logged

Before all my posts about subjective matters there should be an IMO before the post. I took this sig down but of course it has to go back up.
GNRisAFD
Headliner

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2004, 09:41:31 PM »

That's not speaking on behalf of anybody, its fact.
dave-gnfnr2k
Banned
Legend

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2004, 09:46:03 PM »

That's not speaking on behalf of anybody, its fact.

its fact? Is that so, and where did you pull this fun fact from?
did you poll every gnr fan in the world on this question

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2004, 10:05:27 PM »

okay, the rockers are making up ground with me.  Do it for the kids is really catchy.  I like it.  The guitar solo kind of reminds me of Don't Dam Me.  On the next album however, i don't want any comprimises with the STP esque sound.  I want the Izzy style.  I think the boys adapted to Scott's ways.  On the next album, let Scott adapt to them, at least for a few songs.  But yes, the more i listen to the so called rockers, the more i like them.  Dave, Madagascar, eh, it is alright.  I like the Blues better.  A song in which they go for the Slash sound in the guitar solo by the way.  That is a nice song.  Madagascar, too over the top.  Kind of lame if you ask me.  I like it, but you are out of your mind.  

Jarmo, can you give a full review of this album?  Are you impressed, or unimpressed?  I agree with you on Headspace and Do it for the kids.  Darkmeus or Mysteron, do you dig the new VR album?  
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 10:27:10 PM by Smoking Guns » Logged
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

Its something different and will be a big surprise

« Reply #50 on: June 01, 2004, 10:46:14 PM »

You people are hott stuff. This was supposed to be a Contraband review thread. Not a gnr vr comparison. Afterall there have been arguments this past week about how we arent supposed to be comparing the two.

I find it funny how some fans are agreeing that although the album is good its not what they expected then they throw "oh new gnr and vr cant be old gnr"...

first off I htought Vr was supposed to just be VR. Secondly I thought we werent allowed to compare....

and Third, my biggest problem....

Dont say new gnr doesnt match either. The material isnt out yet so how can you say it will or wont be better. We have heard a sample of songs from gnr. And the songs arent going to be thier singles. Lets not start saying that new gnr cant match up to old gnr.

Im not saying they will. Its a tough obstacle. But until the material is release dont say shit.

This was supposed to be a thread of the album. Then it turns into another gnr/vr thing.....too funny

As for this comment...
I will rephrase, VR can be better then the the "New" GNR.
Oh really? Well Gnr has the advantage right off the bat because they have Axl Rose. He is capable of writing the most beautiful of lyrics. Do you not think he can do it again? As for the music side. We will wait and see. That is what im most eager to see regarding this new band. the sound. If they got the sound right they have nothing to worry about. Because Axl rose has been blessed with amazing voice and the ability to write lyrics. SO to say Vr wcan be better than gnr is stupid. Gnr now have to step up and you know what....my rolex, house and whatver else will always be on thier side. Because they have the talent to do whatver the fuck they want and make it work.....
« Last Edit: June 01, 2004, 11:04:09 PM by younggunner » Logged

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Walapino
VIP

Double Talkin Jive Motherfucker!

« Reply #51 on: June 01, 2004, 11:00:39 PM »

How can you say VR has dropped the ball?? HOW?? WHY?? agh oh agh you pets want only a masterpiece, what the hell... VR is rocking like no one right now. They are touring, they have a pretty good record out and overall are creating exitement so I really dont see how can anyone say they dropped the ball. You cannot surpass GNR thats it man, only a brand new young band can do it but so far none of the new bands have step up to the plate!

Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #52 on: June 01, 2004, 11:05:21 PM »

"Well Gnr has the advantage right off the bat because they have Axl Rose."

Huh, Younggunner, you are exactly that.  Young and not very wise.  Having Axl Rose in 2004 has not been an advantage to anyone.  Not the record company, not the fans, and not his circus.  Tell me about this "talent," you speak of.  Is it just Axl?  You don't really consider the band to more talented then VR do you?  Don't count Bucket, cause he is not currently there now is he.  Though, the door is left open for him to return.  Just like it is if Slash wanted back.  Axl is old.  42.  He might be able to tweak his voice in the studio, but come on.  Slash can do the same stuff he did in 87 on his guitar.  Axl cannot sing like he could he no matter what he did.  I said they can be better then new GNR.  I did not say they would.  My main point was to give praise to the original line up.  Not to start this.  I was just saying all was possible, except for being better then the original.  Now, NuGNR may be better then VR.  We will find out.  I saw NuGNR twice.  Very good performances.  I was at the one in Vegas where Slash got kicked out.  It was spectacular. All I am stating is that they have the potential to be better.  That is all.  And you know what, they do.  I am a huge Axl supporter, but with no Slash, he is extremely limited.  I cannot believe you show your age by denying the total band concept that GNR had back in the day.  GNR was not a one man band.  But it is now.  I wish the very best to NuGNR and VR.  
riotact_vancity
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #53 on: June 01, 2004, 11:08:43 PM »

other than set me free and slither, i thought the rocker songs were kind of stale. Didn't seem to be any musical hooks on them and Weiland simply cannot hold a candle to Axl when singing a rock song. He's a grunge singer. The ballads are all very good with the Alien one probably being best; Weiland's best performance.

Listening to this album cemented in me that Axl was THE thing that separated GnR from all the real good bands and made them a great band. His lyrics, his singing, his presence and most importantly his ability to write songs that went places you weren't expecting. None of these songs seemed to surprise me; they all seemed about 4:10 long.

that said, it's the best rock record in a long time, but as far as stuff that'll stick with me, other than set me free, slither and some of the ballads, i'm afraid to say i might be listening to more of the new Slipknot album over the summer.....we'll see.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #54 on: June 01, 2004, 11:20:44 PM »

Having Axl Rose in 2004 has not been an advantage to anyone.  Not the record company, not the fans, and not his circus.  
Im talking strictly from a musical standpoint. Not pr or business.

Tell me about this "talent," you speak of.
Lol are you serious.....
Is it just Axl?  You don't really consider the band to more talented then VR do you?  .
As a whole band they are each talented. Whether that will all click and work i couldnt tell you because i havnt heard cd yet.
I am a huge Axl supporter, but with no Slash, he is extremely limited
You cant say that yet. CD hasnt been released so you have no idea if it will work or wont.
We now know that Axl put slashs material over the top. He and slash complimented each ther perfectly. Now lets see if Robin/bucket can do the same....

I cannot believe you show your age by denying the total band concept that GNR had back in the day.  GNR was not a one man band.  But it is now
Im not denying anything. I have never said this new band is better than the old. All i have said is that there is a possibility that Cd will be better than AFD. Im not stupid enough to say that GNR will have the same impact on the music world like old gnr did. Its a completely different musical climate.

All Im saying is that you nor I know what gnr has up thier sleeve. It could be a gem or it could be a flop. What if its better than AFD then what? All I say is just wait and see.....then comment....

GNR was not a one man band.  But it is now
First off Axl always had a major say in what gnr did. And as for the new lineup. You couldnt be more wrong. Its a complete team effort. They have worked on the songs together. Alone. And got them to where they wanted it to be as a group. Does Axl run the show...absoulutely. HE runs everything in terms of the business and shit..Its a group effort.....if you want to keep denying that its not my problem...

"...regardless of the outcome, our hearts, lives and our passion has been put into this project every step of the way. If for no other reason, we feel those elements alone merit your consideration..."
Fretzo
Headliner

Ground control to Major Tom

« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2004, 11:47:03 PM »

OH so since boy bands and girl bands like BSB or B Spears can sell 25 million albums it means they are better than gnr?
I dont think so. And you mean 25 million world wide?

Cd could be better than AFD yet not sell 15 million even  you know that.

Madagascar is better than most  of the songs on AFD.

You people do realize that selling 15 million albums today is 3 times harder than selling that many copies of an album released in 1987 don't you?
Here's why: the older members of this board can attest to the fact that in 1987 they bought either a vinyl record or a cassette and when CD's came around they likely updated to CD's so lots of people own either 2-3 copies of AFD.  Today what Britney and N'sync are doing is amazing because they only have one format to sell their albums in and they have to deal with downloading. When they sell 15 million albums they sell them to 15 million unique record buyers. AFD was probably only bought by 10 million unique buyers.
We can't compare sales figures of contraband with AFD because of the above reasons.
Smoking Guns
Legend

War Damn Eagle

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2004, 11:51:35 PM »

Young and dummer, please don't challeng my vast knowledge and attention to detail of the GNR saga.  BTW, I am just kidding about the Young and Dummer, just thought it was funny.  But anyway, it is all manufactured.  The band plays what they think Axl wants.  They try to understand his vision.  Do you think Fink shoots down Axl's ideas?  Hell know he doesn't, he would be gone.  Bucket, well, I have never seen anything like that guy.  Truly awesome.  He can make an impact, however, most would agree that he lacks a certain level of soul.   The type of soul that a self taught blues based guitar player like Slash would possess.  All the muscians were hired for a reason.  They were not friends.  They were not poor.  They did not live in shitty appartments together.  When you are not hungry, you are setting your self up for failure.  VR was very inspired for this record.  They had something to prove.  Fink has really nothing to prove.  Axl bears all the weight on his shoulders.  Everything falls on Axl.  Does that sound like a team concept to you?  Nope.  Fink, Tommy, Brain, only do what Axl says.  They are puppets.  Everything you hear is for PR.  Most the members didn't even like GNR.  THEY DID IT FOR THE MONEY!!!!!  THEIR MOTIVATIONS AND INSPIRATIONS ARE DIFFERENT.  IT ALL GOES BACK TO CHEMISTRY AND BEING A COHESIVE UNIT.  Are they all on the same page?  Hell, they don't know shit about their own album that they worked on for so long.  Axl is the greatest front man ever.  But, he is so different now, I hope he can come back, but it does not look good.  I admire your fire younggunner.  I read your reviews about the VR show you went to and it was generally good.  You seem pretty objective.  I just think no matter how good of a front man you are, you must have a great band behind you.  That is where they (nugnr) lack.  Remember David Lee Roth when he left Van Halen?  I know, you don't cause you were too young.  But even though he had Steve Vai on guitar, or whoever that guy was, he never went anywhere.  He was considered to be one of the best frontmen around.  But he didn't have Eddie.  Like Axl doesn't have Slash.
Mr Cowbell ?
Legend

HTGTH Powerslam Champion / Former WWE Game Champ

« Reply #57 on: June 01, 2004, 11:56:28 PM »

Some of you say Scott may be the "weak link" of the album, but even if this is true, his voice is a helluva lot better than Rod Jackson's.

Hell yeah Jackson sounded awful. He sounded like a bad lead singer of a local band. Scott has his own persona and way of writing songs. IF HE AND IZZY could of worked together on some VR songs that sure would wet my shorts.

Ron Jeremy - BEND OVER.
younggunner
2004 4eva!
Legend

« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2004, 12:01:14 AM »

Young and dummer
Very creative...

But anyway, it is all manufactured.  The band plays what they think Axl wants.  They try to understand his vision.  Do you think Fink shoots down Axl's ideas
Like i said, you can think what you want...but its a complete team effort. Im not gonna try to explain it to u anymore because youll come back with the same bullshit...so why bother...

The type of soul that a self taught blues based guitar player like Slash would possess
I suggest you check out electric tears

All the muscians were hired for a reason.  They were not friends.  They were not poor.  They did not live in shitty appartments together.  When you are not hungry, you are setting your self up for failure.
We all know they didnt come together in the convential way. But what i do know is that they are very good friends and have been for awhile now.

VR was very inspired for this record.  They had something to prove
This 1 is easy...ill use what you wrote...
All the muscians were hired for a reason.  They were not friends.  They were not poor.  They did not live in shitty appartments together.  When you are not hungry, you are setting your self up for failure.

Fink has really nothing to prove.  Axl bears all the weight on his shoulders.  Everything falls on Axl.  Does that sound like a team concept to you?  Nope.  Fink, Tommy, Brain, only do what Axl says.  They are puppets.  Everything you hear is for PR.  Most the members didn't even like GNR.  THEY DID IT FOR THE MONEY!!!!!  THEIR MOTIVATIONS AND INSPIRATIONS ARE DIFFERENT.  IT ALL GOES BACK TO CHEMISTRY AND BEING A COHESIVE UNIT.  

your a very clueless person....

I just think no matter how good of a front man you are, you must have a great band behind you.  That is where they (nugnr) lack
Can we wait till the album comes out before you say that?

I could write an endless response to you and make you look liek an idiot. But i dont feel like rehashing the same old stuff. theres no point. You can beleive what you wnat. Thats fine. All i ask of you is to just wait till the album comes out before you tell me about all this hunger bullshit....till then go ramble your bullshit somewhere else...

Freya
Rocker

I'm a llama!

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2004, 12:11:16 AM »

Remember David Lee Roth when he left Van Halen?

One tiny interjection, Roth wasn't much of a songwriter, it's not quite the same.  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: