Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:58:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227819 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  The Perils Of Rock N' Roll Decadence
| |-+  Solo & side projects + Ex-members
| | |-+  Duff, Slash & Velvet Revolver
| | | |-+  Post your own Contraband review here
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post your own Contraband review here  (Read 237707 times)
Grouse
I'm a prick too, so I deserve a title!
Legend

« Reply #480 on: March 24, 2007, 06:19:09 PM »

I heard this piece of shit on MTV leaked when it came out, just out of curiosity, and I have not gone near any of the songs again. What a shitty waste of cd's. This record is the proof that Axl was the creative force in GN'R, he has more talent in his pinky finger than all of these wash-up's put together. It's clear that Slash needed Axl to pull the great stuff out of him, with snakepit and now vr he has totally lost it. What a joke. With this album I can understand what Axl said about Slash telling him "I don't wanna work that hard".

rofl I don't wanna work that hard, the guy has released/played on 100 times as many cds/songs than you're redhead has done so please don't start with that crap 'cause it just makes you look ignorant...and calling slash a wash up while he's sold millions of cd's after guns is just stupid and why you even go to the VR section is beyond me you really need to get a life? beer guess the joke's on you now? hihi

I'm guessing you're speedstone on yet another different acount? Roll Eyes
Africa
Banned
Rocker

No Woman, No Cry

« Reply #481 on: March 24, 2007, 06:21:32 PM »

How is the joke on me? I posted a review, deal with it! Not my fault you are bitter.
"Get a life", ok then, don't get butthurt that your hero let you all down.
And Axl's comment was referring to how Slash became increasingly sloppy with his work, not wanting to put in a real effort, unlike Axl.

gone. IMHO just like everything else he recorded for the band.

buckethead stops now!

rofl
Grouse
Legend

« Reply #482 on: March 24, 2007, 06:38:16 PM »

How is the joke on me? I posted a review, deal with it! Not my fault you are bitter.

That is not a review... Roll Eyes

He didn't, how is selling millions of records letting anyone down? hihi

And Axl's comment was referring to how Slash became increasingly sloppy with his work, not wanting to put in a real effort, unlike Axl.

unlike axl hihi yeah we can see how much effort he has put into his work for the last 10 years...

Africa
Banned
Rocker

No Woman, No Cry

« Reply #483 on: March 24, 2007, 07:16:50 PM »

Yes you can, and you will see way more of it.
Enough said, I'm done with this thread.

gone. IMHO just like everything else he recorded for the band.

buckethead stops now!

rofl
Warchild
Rocker

Shine on you Crazy Diamond...!!!

« Reply #484 on: March 26, 2007, 05:34:56 AM »

Yes you can, and you will see way more of it.
Enough said, I'm done with this thread.

Me too, shouldn't even be down here in the netherworld of Cuntraband, and Liberturd.......golly gee I can't wait for another

stuck-in-the-80's , we do it for the money, album............

sarcasm button is ON!

W.

"It takes Less than Death to Kill a Man
and I'm so sick of dying;
Days of sunshine nights of rain
Doesn't matter when you're crying

Tell me how to make things right
tell the truth from lies..
W
SlashRock
Rocker

G'N'F'n'R

« Reply #485 on: April 02, 2007, 08:47:56 AM »

Loved it to be honest. One of the best albums I've heard in years.  beer

'Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky!'
tomass74
Legend

« Reply #486 on: April 02, 2007, 11:13:11 AM »

Loved it to be honest. One of the best albums I've heard in years.? beer

Agree

Booker Floyd
Groupie
Legend

« Reply #487 on: April 02, 2007, 09:01:32 PM »

Gave it a listen (actually the first half was all I had time for)  for the first time in a while, and I still believe its a really good album with some great songs.
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #488 on: April 02, 2007, 10:08:25 PM »

Dude dont you have better things to do than go to message boards just to bitch and moan? get a fucking life.
Warchild
Rocker

Shine on you Crazy Diamond...!!!

« Reply #489 on: April 05, 2007, 04:59:18 AM »

ummmmm I have one word for this? gag;ahem;vomit album?Huh............

CUNTraband

I wish I had your wit.

Well, I like this album, but I know they'll get everything right with Libertad. beer

Cuntraband and LiberTARD.......my,my.....what a resume'

I am just so impressed......ahem;GAG;cough

da warchild so lit up I fucking glow!

"It takes Less than Death to Kill a Man
and I'm so sick of dying;
Days of sunshine nights of rain
Doesn't matter when you're crying

Tell me how to make things right
tell the truth from lies..
W
Grouse
Legend

« Reply #490 on: April 05, 2007, 02:45:30 PM »

ummmmm I have one word for this? gag;ahem;vomit album?Huh............

CUNTraband

I wish I had your wit.

Well, I like this album, but I know they'll get everything right with Libertad. beer

Cuntraband and LiberTARD.......my,my.....what a resume'

I am just so impressed......ahem;GAG;cough

da warchild so lit up I fucking glow!

blablabla boring....Ever thought about seeing a shrink?
NicoRourke
On board
Legend

Not sorry.

« Reply #491 on: April 05, 2007, 02:48:49 PM »

I think it might help the guy. That and a lot of drugs Wink

You know where to put your 'just shut up and sing'.

Long live GN'R.
Grouse
Legend

« Reply #492 on: April 05, 2007, 03:04:24 PM »

I think he's already had too many of those  Wink
vietnow138
Rocker

Here Today...

« Reply #493 on: April 11, 2007, 09:37:02 PM »

I just listened to this album for the first time in a couple months, I forgot how much it kicks ass and what a solid album it is.
metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #494 on: April 11, 2007, 09:58:16 PM »

I just listened to this album for the first time in a couple months, I forgot how much it kicks ass and what a solid album it is.

My sentiments too. It's a solid rock album start to finish.

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Dead Flower
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #495 on: April 11, 2007, 10:48:13 PM »

I posted this over at mygnr a few days ago. Thought I'd post it here, as well...  peace

The first I ever heard of Velvet Revolver was on the day Contraband was released. I had floated away from closely following GnR and the ex-members around that time, so it came as a bit of a surprise when I walked into the CD store and saw posters of Slash and Duff all over the place. I missed all the build-up and hype, so I was going in with no idea about how they had formed and what sort of sound they'd created.

In my mind I was expecting an album dominated by the bluesy, classic guitar rock that Slash had become famous for with GnR and Snakepit, combined with Weiland's Morrison-esq (think 'Core') vocals over the top. Those expectations were shot to pieces the minute I put Contraband in the stereo. To say that it was a vastly different product to what I expected would be a huge understatement. Together they had created a sound that is completely their own, and it took a quite a few listens for the new sound to really click with me.

Slash's guitar tone on the album has a meaner, more distorted and heavy sound to it, imo. There are more down-tuned riffs and heavier playing on this one, which, when combined with Kushner's more contemporary rhythm and textures, give the album a more modern edge than I was expecting. And far from dominating the sound of the album, Slash actually takes a bit of a back seat on Contraband. The cool guitar licks, and gnarly solos are still there, but he now seems more at ease with letting his bandmates pick up more of the slack.

And Duff and Matt do more than just pick up the slack on this album, they absolutely shine and have developed a chemistry far greater than they had during their GnR days. Most of the tracks on Contraband are built around kickass grooves from these guys - the thick sleazy swing of Superhuman, the pounding swagger of Sucker Train Blues, or the dark, brooding menace of Slither. Really quite awesome.

But the star of the Contraband show is definitely Scott Weiland ? his presence and personality are all over this album and he makes it his own. Vocally he seems to have ditched the Jim Morrison influence he had early in his career with STP, and has instead gone with a punk-rock menacing low rasp, that conjures up visions of drugs, booze and thousands upon thousands of cigarettes. Is there a lot of range to his voice? No. But he plays to his strengths and is very good at what he does. His phrasing and delivery is terrific.

The lyrics largely reflect a time when Scott was battling addiction, in and out of jail cells, and facing the possibility of losing his wife and kids. This album is full of frustration ("keep the money bitch, keep the stuff, fly around the world, and keep it up"), anger ("kick me down with broken bones, you picked a fight now stand your ground"), heartbreak ("you got no right to keep me waiting here, you got no right to keep the pain in here") and his struggle to combine the role of rockstar and father ("hope I teach my son how to be a man before he hits 35". In a song like Headspace he can go from screaming "don't let any of those fuckers in my headspace" to quietly whispering "dying with your face on a t-shirt isn't all that original" as a message to some of his rock n' roll compatriots who weren't able to kick their addictions. Every song is a window into Scott's life, and it's that willingness to bare his soul that makes it such an interesting album lyrically.

My major gripe with the album is with the production and mixing. The "muddy" production can sometimes make the different riffs from Slash and Dave almost merge into one, leaving the listener with one wall of sound rather than two intertwining guitars. Nearly every song on Contraband sounds better live because of this.

Also, considering the way they've changed and extended certain songs live for the better (the transformation of Set Me Free and Slither are prime examples) you could argue that they maybe should have toured for a while, gelled together as a band, and road-tested their songs before releasing Contraband ... but I sure as hell ain't complaining about this band being eager to put new material on the shelves and creating their own identity.

There is also a lack of diversity in some of the songs on Contraband, in terms of structure and progression. A lot of tracks are great individually, but together on the same album they become a bit "samey". Hopefully they mix it up a bit more with Libertad.

My five favourite tracks:

1) You Got No Right
Probably the best ballad Slash and Duff have been involved with since Patience, imo. Heartfelt lyrics, lovely vocals, and an epic Slash solo that perfectly complements the feel and mood of the song. The stripped down acoustics are beautiful to begin with, but they take the song to another level when they kick it up a gear at the 1:54 mark.

2) Slither
The first single for good reason. Everything about this song just rocks. Dave's intro, the menacing bass/drums from Duff and Matt, the rockin' riff, and possibly Slash's ballsiest solo since SCOM. Just great hard rock. That outro is intense.

3) Sucker Train Blues
What an opener. Duff's bass, swirling police sirens, and then ... BANG ... a wall of guitar and drums that is just ferocious. The trippy lyrics don't seem to appeal to everyone, but I think they're cool. The way Scott's mad-man scream leads into Slash's solo is a highlight. The solo itself is so spontaneous and so uniquely Slash - one of his very best, imo.

4) Superhuman
The hidden gem of the album. So heavy, but slow and sleazy at the same time. Love the intro, with Slash's twisted riff and Scott's malicious whispers of "I want to be your Superman". So many cool rock lyrics in this one - "getting high, crashing cars and makin' mistakes", "keepin her face packed with cocaine, her face is numb your faith is gone", "Throw the rope around her neck and get the show on the road". I think Slash summed up this song best when he said it reminded him of "sweaty, grindy, greasy sex stuff".

5) Headspace
Just one of the many 3? minute slabs of killer rock on this album, but this one has really grown on me. Slash and Dave trade kickass riffs, and the vocal melody is interesting and cool. Great lyrics, too.

But, realistically, there just isn't a bad song on the album. Illegal i Song is a bit repetitive and one I tend to skip, but I still genuinely enjoy Duff's little modern punk rock baby. Fall To Pieces sounds almost cheesy and out of place with the rest of the album, but has that classic Slash tone and radio friendly sound that made it such a successful single. Do It For The Kids, Spectacle and Dirty Little Thing are just great examples of solid, straight-forward hard rock.

A terrific album that I consider to be up there with the very best rock albums released in recent years. Still play it on a very regular basis. Fantastic that Slash and Duff have found success again, and I really hope they can keep it together with Scott. If not, well, at least we're going to get a couple of great albums.

metallex78
Legend

vicarious existance is a fucking waste of time

« Reply #496 on: April 12, 2007, 01:42:29 AM »

Cool review Dead Flower ok

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2007!!!
23 June Sydney @ Acer Arena
24 June Sydney @ Acer Arena

Guns N' Fuckin Roses - Aussie Tour 2013!!!
17 March Melbourne @ Sidney Myer Music Bowl
Dead Flower
Banned
Headliner

Here Today...

« Reply #497 on: April 12, 2007, 10:01:37 PM »

Thanks, dude.  beer

SlashRock
Rocker

G'N'F'n'R

« Reply #498 on: April 18, 2007, 02:15:22 PM »

How the hell can 'Contraband' be criticised so much by some people on here? I'm listening to it now and it fucking kicks arse. I'm pumped for when I get to see them again now.  peace

'Excuse me whilst I kiss the sky!'
CheapJon
spam egg spam spam bacon and spam, spam sausage spam spam bacon spam tomato and spam
Legend

lstn mfx 2 diz song dat shud b hurd

« Reply #499 on: April 18, 2007, 04:47:04 PM »

How the hell can 'Contraband' be criticised so much by some people on here? I'm listening to it now and it fucking kicks arse. I'm pumped for when I get to see them again now.? peace

it's not that bad of a record but i guess people expected something different (better) and  gnr quality on the songs..
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: