Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227698 Posts in 43242 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  Aersomith-Angel?s solo
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aersomith-Angel?s solo  (Read 4294 times)
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« on: June 10, 2004, 09:10:22 PM »

Does somebody knows what guitar and what amp did Joe Perry use for this solo.I love the sound of it, it?s very clean but has distortion too, i love it!!!
And could somebosy tell me what EQ does Joe uses??how many Lows highs mids??

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2004, 08:06:04 PM »

Well as it happens I was standing next to my buddy Joe when he recorded it and I happened to take a photo of his amp which clearly shows the settings...
I got some panoramic shots of the room he was in too, so you can get the right reverb levels as well....

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2004, 03:08:21 AM »

Well as it happens I was standing next to my buddy Joe when he recorded it and I happened to take a photo of his amp which clearly shows the settings...
I got some panoramic shots of the room he was in too, so you can get the right reverb levels as well....

HAHAHAHHAHAha Miz you crack me up.
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2004, 07:08:28 PM »

Well, everybody seems to know what EQ does Slash uses, I thought you could know  what EQ did Joe use.......

Baby Slash//
« Last Edit: June 13, 2004, 10:46:01 AM by Slashly » Logged

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2004, 01:56:34 PM »

Well, that's because Slash almost exclusively uses one type of gutiar and one amp.  The amp which he has a signature model of and released suggested EQ setting with.

Whereas Perry uses hundreds of different guitars, and hundreds of different amps, live and in the studio.

But if you're really that bothered, I'd hazard a guess at the amp being a Tweed fender Champ or a Blackface or possibly a deluxe reverb.  Basically a fender combo, because that's what he uses in the studio the majority of time.  As for the guitar...welll, it's hard to say as Perry had basically pawned all his guitars by that time, so it's hard to say, but it certainly sounds like a strat or some similar, single coil equipped guitar.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
GypsySoul
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2004, 11:26:30 PM »

Does somebody knows what guitar and what amp did Joe Perry use for this solo.I love the sound of it, it?s very clean but has distortion too, i love it!!!
And could somebosy tell me what EQ does Joe uses??how many Lows highs mids??

Baby Slash//

I haven't found exactly what you're looking for yet ... but I'm still looking.  I'm pretty sure it would be listed in one of those guitar mags.  I just gotta find which one.

In the meantime, maybe the info in these two links can start you in the right direction...

www.theaerohaven.com
click on "Guitar Gear" listed in the center menu then you can click on "Joe's Guitars" or "Joe's Amps" or "Joe's Effects & Accessories"

www.legendarytones.com/aerosmith.htm
this link is mainly about Brad Whitford's gear (with pics) but does mention some of Perry's gear too.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 07:56:54 PM »

Keep the faith, Slashly!!! ... I'm trying to get my hands on a back issue of a guitar mag that will HOPEFULLY include the gear and setting for this song (until I actually have the mag, there's no way I can tell if it includes the gear stuff).

For right now, maybe there's something in these sheets from Aerosmith's Riff by Riff that might be different from what you already have.

God chose those whom the world considers absurd to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27)
GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 07:59:17 PM »

Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 08:41:46 PM »

Awsome Gypsy, thanx a looooootttt!!!I love the way you allways keep this board fresh with a good article (new or old), I love you!!

Baby Slash//

GypsySoul
Legend

SLAM DUNK!!!

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 09:29:33 PM »

This is about Joe's gear and amp settings for when he recorded the album that Angel is on.

TOTAL GUITAR #124 July 2004
REWIND
THE AEROSMITH ARSENAL
JOE?S GEAR PREFERENCES

Joe Perry believes in the ?better safe than sorry? attitude when it comes to guitars.  According to guitar tech Toby Francis, when Joe comes to the studio he?s armed with a variety of instruments.

For Permanent Vacation, Joe?s workhorse was a Guild T-250 (their Telecaster model) featuring EMG Tele (singlecoil) pickups.  He also used a Guild G-43 acoustic, a Harmony guitar (a $50 cheapo built in 1957), and a Gretsch Silver Jet formerly owned by engineer Bob Rock (who bought it from Krokus).

The bastard of the bunch was an ESP Strat-style, dubbed ?the Spoon?.  It?s essentially a parts guitar, featuring a Seymour Duncan JB pickup with a coil cutter in the lead position and cre-wound pickups in the front and middle, as well as being one of the few models Perry owns that has a tremolo (Kahler) fitted.  The instrument is a throwback to another multi-breed called the Telerat, an early 70s black Stratocaster that has the finish removed.  Joe loved the guitar?s sound so much, he decided to leave it unpainted (claiming the wood breathes differently) and consequently the Spoon is unfinished.

When it comes to amps, Perry experimented with new Marshalls, Boogies and Music Mans, before stumbling on the Bedrock.  It?s a 50Watt amplifier built by a company in New Hampshire, and can reproduce all the sounds of the aforementioned units.  Joe calls it a good ?translator? and used it for every track on the album.  An approximate reading of the settings are show below.

In the studio, Perry ran two heads in stereo, with the cabinets being made by Bedrock and Terry Hanley Sound (Terry?s brother Bill was responsible for sound at Woodstock).  The Marshall-like slant cabs were fitted with Vintage Celestion 25Watt reissue speakers, because Joe found that distortion can be reached quicker with lower wattage speakers.

To aid distortion, Perry runs a Proco Rat pedal . Other effects include a Yamaha SFX-90 and a Roland SDE3000 for delay.  Perry was also checking out the new TC Electronics unit - if it measured up to Aerosmith punishment, it was going to provide the main switching and effects loops.

Joe uses 1.21 guage extra heavy picks imprinted with the band?s logo (they?re custom made since few companies carry them) and Gold Maxima or Guild Slidebender strings (.009 sets for the models with whammy bars).

Essentially, Joe is a purist and approaches an instrument or effect on a personal level.  If he picks it up and likes it, he?ll play it.  ?He?s concentrating more on tone and less on magic,? explains Francis.  ?He used to just plug in, turn it all the way up and if it happened, it happened.  Now he?s willing to sacrifice volume for tone.  He even wears earplugs live.?

PERMANENT AMPLIFICATION
This is the amp setting Joe Perry used to record the Permanent Vacation album.  Select your guitar?s bridge humbucker and choose a British mid-range, strong amp setting if you don?t have a Bedrock unit to hand (like, of course!).

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: