Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:46:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227785 Posts in 43248 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  AFD Equipment
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: AFD Equipment  (Read 14981 times)
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« on: June 23, 2004, 02:21:40 PM »

Hey guys n gals

Does anyone by anychance have a link or know off the top of their head slash's equipment in AFD?

I want guitars(obviously). Info on his pickups etc etc
Amps
Effects
Strings

I've looked around on the net abit and can't find anyhting helpfull so anyone with help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm practsisng with my band alot lately and we are going to record a few demos n shit...and i really want an AFD sounding record(guitar wise).

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Lineker10
Living the life of a pirate in the Dominican Republic
VIP

Dancin' Down On The Sunset Strip

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2004, 04:07:30 PM »

Slash used a custom Les Paul copy - not a Gibson, and a Marshall stack that later went on to become his custom model. If you look at the equipment section of this site it should help you. For your band a Les Paul preferably Gibson through a Marshall should get the Slash sound.

Riot In Everyone!
C0ma
Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2004, 04:09:28 PM »

http://www.snakepit.org/equip.html

This site gives a real good run down of his equipment.
It also has some info from his guitar tech.
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2004, 08:38:38 PM »

Fuck those links I?ll give you the info here

Guitar:Vey similar LP copy(done by Kriss Derring),  a Gibson SG in a partiular song can?t remember wich.

Pickups:I think they were the 59 Gibson LP models that Slash put on his LP copy.

Amps:Marshall JCM Silver Jubilee (it was an aniversary edition)

String:No fucking idea.

Efects:Shurely he cranked his reverb on some songs (SCOM, for example)  crybaby wha wha probably and a Chorus on Rocket Queen.

Baby Slash//
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 08:39:41 PM by Baby Slash » Logged

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2004, 06:43:03 AM »

Thanx alot guys that info was a help indeed.

1 more question: I dont wanna sound dumb..i can play guitar fairly well but my knoledge isnt to good on the features on guitars like pickups, different bridges n so forth, i get easily confussed.

Now Slashly u said he used a Les Paul copy. Does that mean an Epiphone Les Paul?  And whats the difference between a Les Paul copy and the real thing?

Thanks again guys ok

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
Oddy
Drama Qween?
VIP

Some people just don't know how to ride a bike

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2004, 06:55:29 AM »

les paul copy's are just another brand copying the les paul shape and style of guitar, just like your typical strat copy.

the original les pauls are gibson les pauls, the rest are just copies. epiphone is a brand owned by gibson that make cheaper models based off gibson styles of guitars. Every company from yamaha to ibanez have an lp lookalike in their collection.

usually copies are crap compared to gibson les pauls, but in slash's case he got his made by some crazy luthier and indeed it is better than anything gibson can make.

not all copies are bad. my one in my own humble opinion is the greatest heh heheheh hihi

sorry my answer might not be in depth enough, but mines like a "les pauls for dummies" answer. Not that you're a dummy but you know those books that teach you things real fast.........ah great i've offended another person  rofl
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2004, 07:08:47 AM »

Nah thanks Oddy i got what u mean and u've explained it the way i wanted thanks.

U got a goldmine on ur hands. Grin

Publish that book "Les Paul for Dummies". And i gurantee you, you will sell at least 1 copy ok

Can you guess who it is hihi

Thanks buddy

Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2004, 11:47:51 AM »

Hey guys n gals

Does anyone by anychance have a link or know off the top of their head slash's equipment in AFD?

I want guitars(obviously). Info on his pickups etc etc
Amps
Effects
Strings

I've looked around on the net abit and can't find anyhting helpfull so anyone with help will be greatly appreciated.

I'm practsisng with my band alot lately and we are going to record a few demos n shit...and i really want an AFD sounding record(guitar wise).

Slash use a 1959 Les Paul replica made by the late Chris Derrig. The only thing even close in quality that's readily available are Gibson Historic Les Pauls. Slash always uses Seymour Duncan ALNICO II Pro pickups in his guitars with humbuckers except his vintage ones.

I don't have the magazine where I read this anymore, but Mike Clink the producer of AFD says they rented a Marshall for recording the album. I'm not sure which model, but it wasn't the Jubilee... maybe a modded JCM800 series. He said Slash wanted it so bad that he was going to tell the rental agency that it was stolen so he could keep it!
Slashly
Harley Davidson
VIP

-blank-

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2004, 10:07:05 PM »

the original les pauls are gibson les pauls, the rest are just copies. epiphone is a brand owned by gibson that make cheaper models based off gibson styles of guitars. Every company from yamaha to ibanez have an lp lookalike in their collection.

usually copies are crap compared to gibson les pauls, but in slash's case he got his made by some crazy luthier and indeed it is better than anything gibson can make.

There?s a BIG  diferance between a cheap LP copy (Epiphone LP 100, what a crap) and good specially made with the help of a good luthier,wich Chriss Derring probably was.That guiatar was made by him, but with Slash especifications.
I think that there?s no copy (Without counting Slash?s one) that is as good as a Gibson, so if you can afford it go for the Gibson Les Paul Sandar, Classic or History (wich is about 4000!!!!)Luck with your band!

Baby Slash//

"But a bottle of vodka still lies in my hand some blonde gave me nughtmares, I think that you`re still in my head"
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2004, 04:02:36 AM »

Thanks Slashly

And thanks everyone you've all been a big help ok

Skeba
Laugh Whore
Legend

Comedy is tragedy plus time

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2004, 04:27:45 AM »

I think that there?s no copy (Without counting Slash?s one) that is as good as a Gibson, so if you can afford it go for the Gibson Les Paul Sandar, Classic or History (wich is about 4000!!!!)Luck with your band!

Well, that really is a matter of opinion. I think there are a lot of custom copies that are better or as good as Gibson. Just go find a good custom shop that isn't too big, and you'll get the guitar you want, with the parts of your choise and the model made especially for you. And the thing with that is that it is entirely hand made, so you'll be paying for quality instead of the brand. Fenders and Gibsons are both really overpriced.

If I had the money. I don't think I'd buy a Gibson. I'd go for a Ruokangas Duke model (www.ruokangas.com). Those are some nice looking guitars.

Anywho. That wasn't the point of the thread. I think you'll get a pretty decent sound with the ideas that people here have been giving. It really doesn't take the exact same equipment to get the AFD sound. Or at least close. A Les Paul model with good humbuckers through a tube marshall should do just fine. Just fiddle with the amp a bit.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2004, 04:39:09 AM by Skeba » Logged

I've created an atmosphere where I?m a friend first, moderator second. Probably entertainer third.
AdZ
It's LiberAdZe, bitch!
HTGTH Crew
Legend

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2004, 06:51:31 AM »

I have an article about slash's replica guitar at home, I'll post it on saturday.
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 09:07:47 AM »

Someone already posted it online:

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2004, 08:13:18 PM »

I don't have the magazine where I read this anymore, but Mike Clink the producer of AFD says they rented a Marshall for recording the album. I'm not sure which model, but it wasn't the Jubilee... maybe a modded JCM800 series. He said Slash wanted it so bad that he was going to tell the rental agency that it was stolen so he could keep it!
I remember reading somewhere that it was a JCM 800 2010...the two channel thing that only lasted about a year before it got shelved.  Not sure though...

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
pewing33ny
Opening Act

I'm a llama!

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2004, 12:30:30 AM »

I remember reading somewhere that it was a JCM 800 2010...the two channel thing that only lasted about a year before it got shelved.  Not sure though...

correct, it was a modded jcm 800 2210. you could probably still get very close to the tone with a jubilee or a slash signature head. the 2210 head is probably cheaper now then the jubilee head and will have the same characteristics as the modded one.  the 2210 and jubilee and slash head both have solid-state circuitry in them along with tube power.

also i believe he used greenback speakers...very important to the sound.

guitarwise he had the les paul copy, you pretty much just need a les paul made with the basic parts of mahogany body  with maple top and duncan alnico II pickups.  you could probably get by with a les paul studio which in only $600 used and then $120 for the alinco II pickups.

Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2004, 12:09:12 PM »

correct, it was a modded jcm 800 2210. you could probably still get very close to the tone with a jubilee or a slash signature head. the 2210 head is probably cheaper now then the jubilee head and will have the same characteristics as the modded one.  the 2210 and jubilee and slash head both have solid-state circuitry in them along with tube power.

guitarwise he had the les paul copy, you pretty much just need a les paul made with the basic parts of mahogany body  with maple top and duncan alnico II pickups.  you could probably get by with a les paul studio which in only $600 used and then $120 for the alinco II pickups.

You can save money and get a JCM100/50w 2555. I have one and it's the non silver version of the Jubilee. So it's the same amp as the Jub and Slash sig model and can be had for under $1000. While you can pull the Input Gain switch for the Rhythm Clip mode which engages the diode clipping (solid state) distortion, leaving it off keep the distortion all tube.
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2004, 12:42:57 PM »

You can save money and get a JCM100/50w 2555. I have one and it's the non silver version of the Jubilee. So it's the same amp as the Jub and Slash sig model and can be had for under $1000. While you can pull the Input Gain switch for the Rhythm Clip mode which engages the diode clipping (solid state) distortion, leaving it off keep the distortion all tube.

Why the hell would you want SS distortion?
Darkburst
Rocker

It's So Easy!

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2004, 12:56:43 PM »

I don't, so I leave that Rhythm Clip mode off.
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2004, 07:13:33 PM »

Ask OzzyCat?

Or Eric Johnson, SRV, Jimi Hendrix, Brian May (yes, the Austin treble booster), Tony Iommi (also the Austin treble booster)...

I kinda see what you mean...but there's also the fact that not everyone can either saturate the power stages of their 100W tube amp (if they even have one) or buy a 5W tube amp.  Or buy a power attenuater or speaker simulator.

So some nice transistor distortion or even some diodes might come in handy every now and again.

Also if you've got something like a Fender Champ, there's no way you're gonna get distortion out of one of them.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
darkmonth
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2004, 05:41:01 PM »

why ask me?  

I always go on about my tube amp so i wouldnt wanna use solid state ...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: