Here Today... Gone To Hell! | Message Board

Guns N Roses
of all the message boards on the internet, this is one...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:30:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
1227776 Posts in 43246 Topics by 9264 Members
Latest Member: EllaGNR
* Home Help Calendar Go to HTGTH Login Register
+  Here Today... Gone To Hell!
|-+  Wake up, it's time to play!
| |-+  Nice Boys Don't Play Rock And Roll
| | |-+  AFD Equipment
Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: AFD Equipment  (Read 14979 times)
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

Everything Louder Than Everything Else

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2004, 07:29:16 PM »

why ask me?  

I always go on about my tube amp so i wouldnt wanna use solid state ...
Because the Dirty channel on the TSL is not pure tube distortion.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2004, 01:42:55 PM »

Well I think the crunch chanel is all analogue no?

I was aware of many of my guitar heroes using boosters and TS9s...

However the mainstay of their sound is from a tube amp (except for May)..

SRV: Marshalls and a Dumble
Brian May: Vox AC30s live, and Deacy (an SS amp made by the bassist) which he used in the studio
Iommi: I think he liked Orange AD50s or something...
Eric Johnson: Every fender ever, Dumbles, Marshalls....

Why couldnt you overdrive a champ? You'd just probably have to crank her.

Isnt a champ SS? I know one of them Fenders is...
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2004, 02:56:40 PM »

Well I think the crunch chanel is all analogue no?
Yes, but SS is all analogue...

I'm not talking about modelling stuff here.  I'm talking about solid state distortion, i.e. no vacuum tubes.  There are diodes in the TSL, just like the rythm clip on slash's signature amp, and just like every single distortion pedal that's not Digitech or Line 6.

I was aware of many of my guitar heroes using boosters and TS9s...

However the mainstay of their sound is from a tube amp (except for May)..

SRV: Marshalls and a Dumble
Brian May: Vox AC30s live, and Deacy (an SS amp made by the bassist) which he used in the studio
Iommi: I think he liked Orange AD50s or something...
Eric Johnson: Every fender ever, Dumbles, Marshalls....
Yeah, obviously, they didn't use solid state amplification, but you said "why would you want SS distortion" and I replied, because that's what they used.
SRV had his Dumble/Marshalls/Fenders set basically clean, and kicked in the TS partly as a booster, but partly to add soft clipping.  Solid state soft clipping.  So he wanted solid state distortion.

Why couldnt you overdrive a champ? You'd just probably have to crank her.
You can overdrive them, but you can't get distortion out of them. You couldn't get EVH tone out of one.  You couldn't get anything more dirty than Joe Perry type tone...which while may satisfy some people, will not satisfy all.

Champs are all tube, class A amps, but the way they're designed, they don't distort much.  There's a reason Fender's are reknowned for their clean tones.

Steven's drumming made the band; he made a big musical difference.  His sense of swing was the push and pull that gave those songs their feel, afterwards, nothing worked. ~ Izzy Stradlin
darkmonth
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2004, 04:48:52 PM »

Miz..

it's pure enough! Cheesy

Pre and power amp stage tubes... that's pretty sweet... and I like to add... it SOUNDS awesome! Cheesy
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2004, 06:28:32 PM »

I see what you mean Miz. I was refering to what was happening in the power valves, and thought you meant those guys used SS amps (only Brian may did I believe). Just about everyone uses a box for a boost, but their overdrive is still firmly rooted in a tube amp.

Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2004, 09:08:37 PM »

I see what you mean Miz. I was refering to what was happening in the power valves, and thought you meant those guys used SS amps (only Brian may did I believe). Just about everyone uses a box for a boost, but their overdrive is still firmly rooted in a tube amp.
Oh yeah, you need the power tubes, I was just saying, clipping from diodes isn't all that bad.

And May only used the Deacy as a treble booster I think, not as a whole amp.

SLASH2365
Opening Act

Here Today...

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2004, 09:59:20 PM »

i agree with Slashly and C0ma

"The Blues are realy important, that's where most of the hard rock n' roll came from." - Izzy Stradlin
VolcomStone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2004, 02:39:23 PM »

So basically everyone has already gotten down the basics of Slash's guitars and amps thus far.? If you're curious about what he uses today and the configuration of it all, here it is...

Guitars:

Cherry Sunburst 1987 Gibson Les Paul Standard, fitted with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Humbuckers

Aged Tobacco Sunburst Slash Signature Les Paul (Prototype), fitted with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Humbuckers, with mini-toggle switch near tone knobs for Fishman Piezo pickup.

Amp Heads:

Two Marshall 2555SL Signature Heads with EL34 Power Tubes (dirty sounds)

Two Marshall 2555SL Signature Heads with KT88 Power Tubes (clean sounds)

Marshall 2555SL Signature Head with EL34 Power Tubes (for talk box)

Amp Cabinets:

Four Straight-Front Marshall 1960BV 4X12 Cabinets loaded with 70-watt Celestion "Vintage 30" Speakers

Signal Path and Effects:

The guitar is fitted with a Nady Wireless Transmitter, which sends a signal to a Nady 950 Wireless Receiver.? The Receiver is connected to a Dunlop DCR-1SR Cry Baby Rack Wah (one to three Dunlop Wah foot pedals are connected to this Rack Wah, and are positioned around the stage depending on the size of the venue).

The Dunlop DCR-1SR Cry Baby Rack Wah is then connected to a CAE Custom Switcher/Router.? The Switcher/Router has six cables running out of it.? One cable is for the footswitch for the CAE unit and is operated by Slash's guitar tech, Adam Day, offstage.? Two other cables run to the two dirty sound amp heads.? Another two cables run to the two clean sound amp heads.? And the sixth and final cable runs to the talk box amp head.

The speaker out cable for the talk box head is connected to a Heil Talk Box pedal onstage.? The speaker cables for the two dirty amp heads are sent to the two lower cabinets, and the speaker cables for the two clean amp heads are sent to the two upper cabinets.

The FX Send cable from the top dirty amp head is sent to an MXR 10-Band Graphic EQ pedal, which is then wired to a Boss DD-3 Delay pedal, which is wired to a Rocktron Hush II CX rackmount, which sends the FX Return cable back to the top dirty amp head.? The FX Send cable for the bottom dirty amp head is wired to the Rocktron Hush II CX rackmount and is then the FX return is sent from that rackmount back to the bottom dirty amp head.

The FX Send cable from the top clean amp head is sent to a Yamaha SPX 900 Multi Effect rackmount, which is wired to a DBX 166 Compressor rackmount, which sends the FX Return cable back to the top clean amp head.? The FX Send cable from the bottom clean amp head is sent to the DBX 166 Compressor rackmount, and the FX Return cable to the bottom clean amp head is sent from that rackmount back to the bottom clean amp head.

*All of the effects pedals and rackmounts except for the Dunlop Wah pedals are operated by Adam Day offstage.

Strings and Tuning:

Adam Day uses a Peterson 490 Strobe Tuner offstage.? This tuner is in the rack but out of the signal path.

Slash uses Ernie Ball strings (.011, .014, .018, .028, .038, .048)

His guitars are tuned a half-step down (Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb) except for his Travis Bean electric slide guitar, which is set in G-tuning a half step down (Db, Gb, Db, Gb, Bb, Db).

Other details:

Some other guitars used by Slash in the past and present include Gibson Melody Makers, Gibson SGs, Gibson EDS-1275 Doublenecks, B.C. Rich Mockingbirds, Gibson Flying Vs, Gibson Explorers, Fender Telecasters, Fender Stratocasters, Fender 6-string basses, Travis Bean electrics, Guild Crossroads Doublenecks, various Guild acoustics, Gibson J-100 acoustics, Martin D-28 acoustics, Ramirez classicals, dobros, and many others.

Slash uses Dunlop Purple Tortex heavy picks, custom made guitar straps, and Monster Cable Products, Inc. audio cables.

Well, I guess that's all there really is to know about Slash's guitar setup at this point, hope it helps if anyone's interested.

If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?
matt88
Riding The Nightrain
Legend

Slash is the King

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2004, 06:44:08 AM »

So basically everyone has already gotten down the basics of Slash's guitars and amps thus far.? If you're curious about what he uses today and the configuration of it all, here it is...

Guitars:

Cherry Sunburst 1987 Gibson Les Paul Standard, fitted with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Humbuckers

Aged Tobacco Sunburst Slash Signature Les Paul (Prototype), fitted with Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro Humbuckers, with mini-toggle switch near tone knobs for Fishman Piezo pickup.

Amp Heads:

Two Marshall 2555SL Signature Heads with EL34 Power Tubes (dirty sounds)

Two Marshall 2555SL Signature Heads with KT88 Power Tubes (clean sounds)

Marshall 2555SL Signature Head with EL34 Power Tubes (for talk box)

Amp Cabinets:

Four Straight-Front Marshall 1960BV 4X12 Cabinets loaded with 70-watt Celestion "Vintage 30" Speakers

Signal Path and Effects:

The guitar is fitted with a Nady Wireless Transmitter, which sends a signal to a Nady 950 Wireless Receiver.? The Receiver is connected to a Dunlop DCR-1SR Cry Baby Rack Wah (one to three Dunlop Wah foot pedals are connected to this Rack Wah, and are positioned around the stage depending on the size of the venue).

The Dunlop DCR-1SR Cry Baby Rack Wah is then connected to a CAE Custom Switcher/Router.? The Switcher/Router has six cables running out of it.? One cable is for the footswitch for the CAE unit and is operated by Slash's guitar tech, Adam Day, offstage.? Two other cables run to the two dirty sound amp heads.? Another two cables run to the two clean sound amp heads.? And the sixth and final cable runs to the talk box amp head.

The speaker out cable for the talk box head is connected to a Heil Talk Box pedal onstage.? The speaker cables for the two dirty amp heads are sent to the two lower cabinets, and the speaker cables for the two clean amp heads are sent to the two upper cabinets.

The FX Send cable from the top dirty amp head is sent to an MXR 10-Band Graphic EQ pedal, which is then wired to a Boss DD-3 Delay pedal, which is wired to a Rocktron Hush II CX rackmount, which sends the FX Return cable back to the top dirty amp head.? The FX Send cable for the bottom dirty amp head is wired to the Rocktron Hush II CX rackmount and is then the FX return is sent from that rackmount back to the bottom dirty amp head.

The FX Send cable from the top clean amp head is sent to a Yamaha SPX 900 Multi Effect rackmount, which is wired to a DBX 166 Compressor rackmount, which sends the FX Return cable back to the top clean amp head.? The FX Send cable from the bottom clean amp head is sent to the DBX 166 Compressor rackmount, and the FX Return cable to the bottom clean amp head is sent from that rackmount back to the bottom clean amp head.

*All of the effects pedals and rackmounts except for the Dunlop Wah pedals are operated by Adam Day offstage.

Strings and Tuning:

Adam Day uses a Peterson 490 Strobe Tuner offstage.? This tuner is in the rack but out of the signal path.

His guitars are tuned a half-step down (Eb, Ab, Db, Gb, Bb, Eb) except for his Travis Bean electric slide guitar, which is set in G-tuning a half step down (Db, Gb, Db, Gb, Bb, Db).

Other details:

Some other guitars used by Slash in the past and present include Gibson Melody Makers, Gibson SGs, Gibson EDS-1275 Doublenecks, B.C. Rich Mockingbirds, Gibson Flying Vs, Gibson Explorers, Fender Telecasters, Fender Stratocasters, Fender 6-string basses, Travis Bean electrics, Guild Crossroads Doublenecks, various Guild acoustics, Gibson J-100 acoustics, Martin D-28 acoustics, Ramirez classicals, dobros, and many others.

Slash uses Dunlop Purple Tortex heavy picks, custom made guitar straps, and Monster Cable Products, Inc. audio cables.

Well, I guess that's all there really is to know about Slash's guitar setup at this point, hope it helps if anyone's interested.

Are u kidding? Did that help? Fuck yeah Smiley Thanks

"I've been draggin my heels with a bitch called hope let the undercurrent drag me along"
VolcomStone
Banned
Rocker

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2004, 06:38:00 PM »

no problem.  got most of it from a fairly recent guitar world issue, this website, snakepit.org, and some other sources.

If you wake up at a different time, in a different place, could you wake up as a different person?
electricmage
Rocker

Zakk is better then you.

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2004, 07:28:34 PM »

Ok, so Slash uses a marshal stack.....There has got to be some other way that Slash uses all this to get his signature sound.  Turning the Gain up on the AMP whould give him some. But he has to use a distortion Pedal of some sort. I know he does not like to use them now, but you guys arent really listening. Do the the Seymour Duncans give him that much boost? and WHERE DOES THE DISTROTION COME FROM?Huh
Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2004, 11:09:37 AM »

Im not sure if he's using a MXR 10 band EQ, or if he's still with the Boss GE7, but he likes to shape his sound.

Pviljoen
VIP

Slash is saucy.

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2004, 11:13:25 AM »

Im not sure if he's using a MXR 10 band EQ, or if he's still with the Boss GE7, but he likes to shape his sound.

Slash isn't that dirty of a player... on a lot of the classics, it's just your great old neck PU Les Paul tone... ala SCOM etc... very bell like sound.

The cranked marshalls provide a lot of tits. The thing is, his signature come from his fingers... he'll sound like Slash on a fucking Ibanez.
Captain P?l
Manneken Pis
Legend

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2004, 11:51:52 AM »

Strings and Tuning:

if we are supposed to be 100percent correct i must say slash now uses standard EADGBE tuning as his standard... dunno if he does live though...

Cant Get Enough Of That Wonderfull Duff
Miz
Dog treats!
Legend

« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2004, 05:42:44 PM »

The cranked marshalls provide a lot of tits. The thing is, his signature come from his fingers... he'll sound like Slash on a fucking Ibanez.
That's not entriely true.  Ibanez's have DiMarzio, and DiMarzio have about as much bottom end as...well, i can't think of anything as sucky as DiMarzios.  But Slash's sound is quite bass oriented, so I don't really think DiMarzio's would suit his style.

On the topic though Alnico Pros have quite a low output, they're about the same level as '59s, and like Pviljoen already said, he doesn't really play that dirty.  Nothing like metal tones or anything.

Pages: 1 [2]  All Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: